So who is the Hawk's No.2 KP Defender?

Remove this Banner Ad

Its horses for courses. Neither Gilham nor Groad played defense against the doggies in the 08 final (Gilham rested, Croad on a wing)

When it comes to minding tall forwards, Gilham would be the obvious one, shoey and gibson the next. Then theres a few options. Rob Campbell was there a lot in 2009.

as far as the CHB,position while Hodge was a 'sweeper' type, there has been an element of 'Patrolling the Backline" a certain amount of CHB duties rested with him

I have no doubt we will see Stratton in the side at CHB at some stage. He is said to excel one on one and whilst the reports suggest that he is more of a rebounding defender rather than key position no doubt he will be tried on some of the big names in 2010.

It is a big ask. Same goes for Shoey.

If we play a junior we need to surround them with big bodies and wise heads. Hodge will have to play as a floater.

Gibbo and Goo are a good basis. Ladson will take the small forward. Birch is the best running HBF in the game. Gilly needs to step up to be the Defender. We can then carry a young un whilst they learn the game.

How important has Gilham become?

Gibson's more of your third defender imo.

For all that he was touted to have played well on Franklin, he was only able to shut him down once, and that was with an uber-flood.

Gibsons also very poor on the bigger forwards like Jonathan Brown.

As I said, ask Franklin and he will tell you how good Gibbo is and Franko has not kicked anymore than 5 (r3 2008) on him, inc a 3 (2007) and a 1 (r14 2008). Franklin was at his best in those 2 years...and if we are talking about Gibbos record on Fev, then just take a look at Trent Croads in recent years agianst Fev...its not that great, 8 in 2007, 7 in 2008. Brown kicked 6 on Croad in 2007. (no disrespect to the great man)..so to say Gibbo has a shite record on big guys doesnt mean much...Gibbo you will find will be the #1 defender. Gibbo has more speed than Croad also.

I have no doubt we will see Stratton in the side at CHB at some stage. He is said to excel one on one and whilst the reports suggest that he is more of a rebounding defender rather than key position no doubt he will be tried on some of the big names in 2010.

RR, you seem convinced that Stratton will see senior action this year and I agree, mature age, senior experience, do you think that Stratton could push into the side at the expense of Schoey?
Or is he more likely to be putting pressure on Murphys' spot in the 22?

Does anyone think it could be an outside chance that we could see Stratton in the side ahead of Murphy in Round 1?

I think Gilham & Gibson are our best two as a combination and they will take the best two forwards whichever match up suits.

For Brisbane I would say Gilham (Fevola) and Gibson (Brown).

Ryan Schoenmakers is not in my best 22 atm, due to being a rookie and needing to prove me otherwise, however against teams with tall forward lines such as Lions and Saints he would be a good chance of playing.

Against shorter forward lines, I see Campbell Brown playing roles in defence such as Cats, Dogs and even the Pies as Gibson & Gilham can cover Anthony Cloke. Hall & Hahn.

Luke Hodge plays very well on resting ruckman who play forward as he makes the opposition pay on the rebound 9/10 so for a Minson going forward we have Luke to play basically an offensive role as a defender on him.

I think Gibson will play CHB nd Gillam will play FB as who is no 1 or 2 I could not say. They will both be inportant in the development of our 1st and 2nd year players.

Shoey number 1, Gibbo number 2, Gilham 3rd tall.

how is shoey's endurance? to play on ppl like brown and roo.. u must have some kinda endurance.. well i hope he does

but yeh shoemakers on some draft test and did well in the running i believe?

any info on how big he is now? can he take teh power forwards this year?

IMO, Gibson will take the gorilla types and possibly the quicker types as well. That probably makes for arguing he is our no 1 key defender.

Gilham will ideally remain at FB and take the more traditional leading forward as his opponent.

Shoenmakers will play the 3rd tall defender although IMO he is miles away from being ready and has to prove he is better than Murphy still for that position.

1. Gibson
2. Gilham
3. Murphy/Shoenmakers

1. Gibson
2. Gilham - still a bit to prove after last year
3. Shoenmakers - could be no 1 by the end of the year

4. Murphy

how is shoey's endurance? to play on ppl like brown and roo.. u must have some kinda endurance.. well i hope he does

but yeh shoemakers on some draft test and did well in the running i believe?

any info on how big he is now? can he take teh power forwards this year?

The complete breakdown of results can be found at the following link, but I'll post 1 section, as per the rules.
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=68589
REPEAT SPRINTS – 6 x 30 metres
This test involves players running 6 x 30 metres sprints with a 20-second time cycle. For example, if the player runs 30 metres in 4.30 seconds, he then has 15.30 seconds to recover, before starting his next 30-metre sprint.

1 – Ryan Schoenmakers (Norwood, SA – medium forward) – 24.82 seconds
2 – Sam Blease (Eastern Ranges, VIC – small/medium midfielder) – 24.97
Matthew DeBoer (Claremont, WA – medium midfielder) – 24.97
4 – Nick Naitanui (Swan Districts, WA – ruckman) – 25.10
James Strauss (Oakleigh Chargers, VIC – medium midfielder) – 25.10
6 – Ashley Smith – (Dandenong Stingrays, VIC – medium defender) – 25.14
7 – Stephen Hill (West Perth, WA – small/medium midfielder) – 25.44
Jack Watts (Sandringham Dragons, VIC – tall forward) – 25.44
9 – Alistair Smith (Perth, WA – small/medium midfielder) – 25.48
10 – Taylor Hunt (Sandringham Dragons, VIC – medium defender) – 25.49
11 – Rory Sloane (Eastern Ranges, VIC – medium defender) – 25.57
12 – Tom Lynch (Sandringham Dragons, VIC – tall forward) – 25.67
13 – Chris Yarran (Swan Districts, WA – medium forward) – 25.74

He has the tools, all he needs is time to develop, keep that in mind when he's not dominating monsters from the backline in only his second year. ;)

Just my take on things...

Gilham number one. Schoenmakers number two. Gibson plays the 'quarterback' role that Hodge has played in the past.

Not sure Gibson is good enough by foot for that.

Gibson is now a straight sub for Croad; if anyone is going to be a "QB" style it will be Schoey, but not for a couple of seasons IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The complete breakdown of results can be found at the following link, but I'll post 1 section, as per the rules.

He has the tools, all he needs is time to develop, keep that in mind when he's not dominating monsters from the backline in only his second year. ;)

Impressive stats for Schoey. Really he just needs time behind the wheel. Having seen him at training before xmas he is still a boy amongst men on the field so he will get beaten up in 2010 but when he is big enough in a few years to do the beating up he will be a class act.

Impressive stats for Schoey. Really he just needs time behind the wheel. Having seen him at training before xmas he is still a boy amongst men on the field so he will get beaten up in 2010 but when he is big enough in a few years to do the beating up he will be a class act.

i was quite impressed with the size of cobbler before xmas and his running, no one could keep up with him when doing laps.

but gilham (fb) gibbo (chb) and cobbler somewhere in the middle helping out where possible.

I still think a talent like this (SCHOEY) belongs as a leading Forward. A guy his size who is that quick would be Reiwoldt-esque - Not quite as tall obviously, but almost as hard to match up on.

I agree that he is in our top couple of Defenders for now but I would like to see us chase/recruit KPD's again next year and send F1 Forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

So who is the Hawk's No.2 KP Defender?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back