So who won trade week!?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aish will be just like the other 15 who flourished instantly upon leaving Fitzroy North.

Like the 15 below?
  • Anthony Corrie.
  • Rhan Hooper.
  • Jared Brennan.
  • Patrick Karnezis.
  • Todd Banfield.
  • Richard Hadley.
  • Dylan McLaren.
  • Cameron Wood.
  • Justin Sherman.
  • Broc McCauley.
  • Bradd Dalziell.
  • Scott Harding.
  • Joel Macdonald.
  • Colm Begley.
  • Chris Schmidt.

Like the 15 below?
  • Anthony Corrie.
  • Rhan Hooper.
  • Jared Brennan.
  • Patrick Karnezis.
  • Todd Banfield.
  • Richard Hadley.
  • Dylan McLaren.
  • Cameron Wood.
  • Justin Sherman.
  • Broc McCauley.
  • Bradd Dalziell.
  • Scott Harding.
  • Joel Macdonald.
  • Colm Begley.
  • Chris Schmidt.

You're welcome. ;)

I fail to see why so many people think the Cats won trade week.

12 players out and 4 in leaves them with 8 vacant list slots (over 18% of their list) to be filled with DFA's + very late picks from a pool that is generally considered below average in depth.

They are in the losers category for mine.

We got one of the top 3 players in the league for "unders". WIN.

The 12 players out 4 in thing would have been the same either way regardless of our trading. We had older players that needed to retire - the only "bad deal" was Jansen and Walker out for 1 pick and that's next year's which isn't ideal.

We gave up 4 picks for Dangerfield, Selwood, Henderson and Smith: aka 4 players.

And at least we didn't give away pick 15 for a depth player. That would be poor list management right there... :$

Not having a go at Collingwood, but havent media commentators said Collingwood have been the winner or one of the top 3 winners of trade week or draft/trade combo period the last 4 years but have been sliding down the ladder over that same period? Im saying the commentators seem to judge quantity over quality in making their assessments.

Isn't there an Aish thread half of this crap can go into?

I like Geelong's and Collingood's trade periods most. Think they both traded very well for the position they're in development of wise. Crows getting Menzel for what they did was a small recovery from losing Dangerfield too.

Not having a go at Collingwood, but havent media commentators said Collingwood have been the winner or one of the top 3 winners of trade week or draft/trade combo period the last 4 years but have been sliding down the ladder over that same period? Im saying the commentators seem to judge quantity over quality in making their assessments.

It's a good point.

12 players out and 4 in leaves them with 8 vacant list slots (over 18% of their list) to be filled with DFA's + very late picks from a pool that is generally considered below average in depth.

You don't need a list 40 deep, or even 35 deep to win a flag. Do you remember guys like Scott Simpson, Dan McKenna, Adam Donohue or Jason Davenport? All were picked from 50 onwards. 3 never debuted, Davenport played a total of 1 game. All were senior-listed players during our peak years.

Dang

Your not serious are you? Dangerfield alone in is a big win don't you think ? most people forget that Henderson was a good back man at carlton before he went forward last year and got the sooks s selwood will take over from Guthrie who will now flourish and Smith now gives them immense flexibility with stanley blicavs and vardy to use forward and on the ball I think their big winners add a fit menzel and Clark if that actually happens and I think they rocket back up into the top 4 and flag contention . They've decided to load up and it may not pay off but even if it doesn't they've still got plenty of young talent on their list .

Who won trade week ,please ( Pies and Handbags by so far its not funny ) Saints the biggest losers with Jake the coke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I don't think so. I can't remember what the media said about Collingwood's trading in 2012 and 2013, but many premiership players were moved on, which wasn't considered a "win" at the time by most. They were decisions made to improve draft position, and certainly not for instant gain.

Losing Dayne Beams last year was definitely considered a loss at the time because he was a required A-grade player in his prime years that Collingwood wanted to keep. His absence was always going to take 12 months to recover from before moving forward again.

Last edited:
Once again, there is NO evidence that Aish wanted to be part of the Beams trade last year. This is speculation. Collingwood did ask Brisbane last year that Aish be included in the trade, along with Pick 5.
Of course there isn't any evidence, but I believe James Aish wasn't opposed to the idea of joining Collingwood as part of the Dayne Beams trade.
Justin Leppitsch spoke with Aish a fortnight ago and seems to have come away from the meeting with the impression that Aish would remain at Brisbane. Jonathan Brown also spoke at length with Aish and came away with the same impression. So did Leigh Matthews. And Peter Schwab. James Aish said, only on Thursday that he was close to the Brisbane players.
Many at Brisbane also felt during the season that Aish was definitely gone, and that Collingwood was the most likely preferred destination. I don't know the reason why Justin Leppitsch and Jonathan Brown felt he would stay. Maybe it was mis-communication. Maybe it was a final pitch from Collingwood that sold him.
Jay Clark reported today that Aish changed his mind about leaving Brisbane a number of times throughout 2015 and Pickering himself said he found it a very difficult thing to do and that his final decision was not made until right before he lodged his request to be traded.
There probably were times during the season that he wanted to join Collingwood, and other times during the season that he felt he might stay.
On what basis can you claim he was "at least interested"?
Just during the interviewing process for the 2013 National Draft. James Aish knew that Collingwood wanted Matthew Scharenberg at pick 6, but were after him at pick 10 if he was available. He was definitely attracted to the prospect of it.
You "understand"? How?
It's a secret.
On a couple of occasions at the very least, you've claimed he was "unhappy" at Brisbane. Upon what basis do you make that claim?
There are a number of reasons why I make that claim. Contract speculation, indecision regarding his future, a desire to play on a big stage more often. Maybe other issues as well.

He's only 19 years old, and it's difficult at that age for anybody to produce their best and be completely happy with a cluttered mind. I don't know how he felt about Brisbane Lions or living in Queensland though.

Even though Jeremy Howe is rated as the 5th best Melbourne player on the AFL player rankings, I don't think too many Collingwood supporters have exceptionally high expectations yet. Many believe he has improvement within though, so we'll wait and see if he performs even better in a better team.

Those rankings are terrible, they have Howe 5th for Melbourne and Hogan 19th, hell, they even have Matt Jones ahead of Hogan.
A realistic position for Howe would be somewhere between 12-15

Those rankings are terrible, they have Howe 5th for Melbourne and Hogan 19th, hell, they even have Matt Jones ahead of Hogan.
A realistic position for Howe would be somewhere between 12-15
Jeremy Howe was also top-10 in Melbourne's Best and Fairest. He was sixth in 2014, and ninth this year, but you're right that those AFL rankings aren't the best guide on their own for a number of reasons. I still think he was top-10 though.

I think many Collingwood supporters believe he still might be able to improve the team without having unrealistically high expectations just yet. Many in the know feel he is capable of further improvement though.

Hopefully playing for the team he barracked for as a kid, and playing in a more forward role that he seems to prefer will bring out the career best in him to date. I'll wait and see if that happens. Maybe it will.

Who won trade week ,please ( Pies and Handbags by so far its not funny ) Saints the biggest losers with Jake the coke
A bit harsh. Saints did well . Ranked in the top 4 easy.
They also asisted us in upgrading from Freeman to Aish, with the pick they gave us for Freeman.
Freeman will be a gun but Aish will be a nuclear bomb

Last edited:
Jeremy Howe was also top-10 in Melbourne's Best and Fairest. He was sixth in 2014, and ninth this year, but you're right that those AFL rankings aren't the best guide on their own for a number of reasons. I still think he was top-10 though.

I think many Collingwood supporters believe he still might be able to improve the team without having unrealistically high expectations just yet. Many in the know feel he is capable of further improvement though.

Hopefully playing for the team he barracked for as a kid, and playing in a more forward role that he seems to prefer will bring out the career best in him to date. I'll wait and see if that happens. Maybe it will.
He might prefer a forward role but he's not good at it, guaranteed to knock himself and Elliot out when they both fly for the same high ball and he will constantly get in Cloke's way because he's got no idea how to play as a forward.

He really is just a run and jump player, there's no thought process and if he can't get a run at it then he's completely useless.

And next year is the year we trend the other way!! Up the ladder we will go and play finals:)

This is true, but it's easy to make that kind of observation without taking in to account what the pies had to sacrifice to attack the draft so hard over the past few years. We've traded out several quality players in the pursuit of draft picks, and although the media and commentators have been talking up those actions, it usually takes a few years for this kind of strategy to bear fruit. It's very rare for a draftee to come in to a club and immediately have a major impact.

This year is the first time since 2011 that we've traded out of the draft rather than in to it. Judging by that, I'd say the Collingwood hierarchy now feels the new list that's been built over the past few years is ready to fire, and they've topped up through trading accordingly.

You'd think that finals will be a non negotiable next year given this shift in trading strategy.

Perhaps not winning due to not drafting for needs

But if talent in for draft picks out is considered - Freo got the best return so far.

Bennell for bugger all is a steal of massive proportions.
Have to agree with this. Freo did very well. There is an element of risk but Bennell is A grader material.

Remove this Banner Ad

So who won trade week!?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back