So who won trade week!?

Remove this Banner Ad

Points...
Academy
F/S

Two words and an acronym isn't much of an answer.

So Geelongs 2nd rounder next year will become a first round pick because of academy bidding?

And Geelong has a gun F/S..........which it too will need to pay for with points and better draft picks unlike in previous years.

The Cats spent a whole bunch of draft picks / points from the next two drafts on trades this year. That's how they traded in decent players. How well that pans out will take several years to answer, just like it did for the Blues in the Judd trade. At least the Cats have a core of quality players / premiership players and a decent captain already, Blues had neither.

Two words and an acronym isn't much of an answer.

So Geelongs 2nd rounder next year will become a first round pick because of academy bidding?
Not the second round pick but all the 3rd round picks we will be able to bundle up to a club that just needs points for their academy selections rather than a first round pick. Realistically we will probably end up with another 2nd round pick. But we've done OK not always having R1s.

You are joking right?

You received 2 list plodders from GWS in 2014 and 4 more this year

You are GWS graveyard B Grade players

Melbourne picked up Bugg who is way ahead of any of those players and Pies Treloar, yet you are happy??

Geelong has done very well, if Pies can get Aish close second if not equal

But hard on pies saying they pick up plodders. Give me a year or so. Remember Hawthorn picked up an average backman in Gibson, and average forward wanna be ruckman Hale, an over the hill stuffed knee bloke in Burgoyne, a nut case in Lake, a dwarf you had been overlooked in 3 previous drafts Puppolo, a skinny kid playing country footy Smith and Mitchell who was overlooked by everyone in 2000'after winning TAC club F&B.

Time will tell, way to early to call them out now.

But hard on pies saying they pick up plodders. Give me a year or so. Remember Hawthorn picked up an average backman in Gibson, and average forward wanna be ruckman Hale, an over the hill stuffed knee bloke in Burgoyne, a nut case in Lake, a dwarf you had been overlooked in 3 previous drafts Puppolo, a skinny kid playing country footy Smith and Mitchell who was overlooked by everyone in 2000'after winning TAC club F&B.

Time will tell, way to early to call them out now.
Can't like this post enough.

Thanks I think their gold too no your just confusing bitterness for delight in goading collingwood supporters ha
Geelong won the trade period and Collingwood done ok to get some kids. #itsonlyagame #Stephownedyou ;) #black&whiteAisho

Excluding Port Adelaide since it'd inevitably be tainted by bias:

1. Essendon: Offloaded many spuds, filled important gaps, and got awesome draft picks to seal the deal.
  2. Geelong: Offloaded the slow and the inept, recruited one of the best players in the game to help out Selwood in the engine room, and some extra depth.
  3. Fremantle: Harley Bennell for a packet of chips. Probably for the best they didn't get McCarthy for that price.
  4. Collingwood: Treloar is a gun. We don't yet know if Aish is Polec/Yeo Mk 2 or Scully Mk 2. Again, offloaded some absolute potatos for overs.
  5. West Coast: Giles and Jetta are poor, but I think Redden will come on good this year. Did not lose any significant value.
  6. North Melbourne: Anderson represents slightly better value than Currie and Gold Coast. Needed more high picks though.
  7. Carlton: Lost a lot of talent, but almost made up for it with the replacement players, and more than made up for it once you consider their picks. 1, 8, 11, and 19, that's four in the first round!!
  8. Richmond: Didn't do a lot, but definitely came out in the green. Yarran and Townsend whilst still retaining a first round pick.
  9. Western Bulldogs: Similar to Richmond. Few early-ish picks, removed an idiot in Talia, gained a bit of talent in Suckling.
  10. Brisbane: Lost some good players, but most of their Ins are best 22.
  11. Sydney: Some mind boggling trades. The loss of Bird and Jetta won't hurt them, but Sinclair and Talia won't help that much either.
  12. St Kilda: Tippett/Fev part 2, Carlisle is going to end up being a massive backfire.
  13. Hawthorn: Lost some important youth, but two 1st round picks are mighty useful for an ageing premiership side.
  14. Melbourne: Melksham, Kennedy, and Bugg... Oh dear. Good thing they have picks 3 and 7 or they'd be last.
  15. Gold Coast: Lost their best forward, as well as a superstart in Bennell. Their Ins are poor. Their picks are decent, but not that useful for Gold Coast in their current situtation.
  16. Adelaide: Lost Dangerfield, his inside-midfield replacement will be who? The Crouches and Thompson are strong but not fast. They will struggle in the clearances, and their defence isn't strong enough to take that pressure.
  17. Greater Western Sydney: You'd think losing 8 players, including your best player, would land you with some pretty sweet picks. Yet, GWS end up with only 1 pick in the top 30.

Happy with Port's performance. Dixon's value to the team will be highly correlated to the integrity of his ankles.

1. Essendon: Offloaded many spuds, filled important gaps, and got awesome draft picks to seal the deal.
  2. Geelong: Offloaded the slow and the inept, recruited one of the best players in the game to help out Selwood in the engine room, and some extra depth.
  3. Fremantle: Harley Bennell for a packet of chips. Probably for the best they didn't get McCarthy for that price.
  4. Collingwood: Treloar is a gun. We don't yet know if Aish is Polec/Yeo Mk 2 or Scully Mk 2. Again, offloaded some absolute potatos for overs.
  5. West Coast: Giles and Jetta are poor, but I think Redden will come on good this year. Did not lose any significant value.
  6. North Melbourne: Anderson represents slightly better value than Currie and Gold Coast. Needed more high picks though.
  7. Carlton: Lost a lot of talent, but almost made up for it with the replacement players, and more than made up for it once you consider their picks. 1, 8, 11, and 19, that's four in the first round!!
  8. Richmond: Didn't do a lot, but definitely came out in the green. Yarran and Townsend whilst still retaining a first round pick.
  9. Western Bulldogs: Similar to Richmond. Few early-ish picks, removed an idiot in Talia, gained a bit of talent in Suckling.
  11. Sydney: Some mind boggling trades. The loss of Bird and Jetta won't hurt them, but Sinclair and Talia won't help that much either.
  12. St Kilda: Tippett/Fev part 2, Carlisle is going to end up being a massive backfire.
  13. Hawthorn: Lost some important youth, but two 1st round picks are mighty useful for an ageing premiership side.
  14. Melbourne: Melksham, Kennedy, and Bugg... Oh dear. Good thing they have picks 3 and 7 or they'd be last.
  15. Gold Coast: Lost their best forward, as well as a superstart in Bennell. Their Ins are poor. Their picks are decent, but not that useful for Gold Coast in their current situtation.
  16. Adelaide: Lost Dangerfield, his inside-midfield replacement will be who? The Crouches and Thompson are strong but not fast. They will struggle in the clearances, and their defence isn't strong enough to take that pressure.
  17. Greater Western Sydney: You'd think losing 8 players, including your best player, would land you with some pretty sweet picks. Yet, GWS end up with only 1 pick in the top 30.

Happy with Port's performance. Dixon's value to the team will be highly correlated to the integrity of his ankles.

I'll help you out with port, you picked up an injury prone forward a player that struggled at one of the weakest sides in the league and are getting a pick until 30 something in the draft. Is that close

15. Gold Coast: Lost their 2nd best forward, as well as a superstart in Bennell. Their Ins are poor. Their picks are decent, but not that useful for Gold Coast in their current situtation.

Surely trolling with GWS? Their aim was to gain enough points not picks to be able to select academy players without going into deficit. Not only did they do this, they will have three 1st rounders in 2016.

Surely trolling with GWS? Their aim was to gain enough points not picks to be able to select academy players without going into deficit. Not only did they do this, they will have three 1st rounders in 2016.
Oh good, they might be good in the distant future then. Also, Dixon was easily GC's best forward, lolDay.

Never mind, what I meant to say, is that your (that's right, you, the reader!) club did the best. All the other clubs, especially my club, are run by clowns and your club profits from our mismanagement. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the second round pick but all the 3rd round picks we will be able to bundle up to a club that just needs points for their academy selections rather than a first round pick. Realistically we will probably end up with another 2nd round pick. But we've done OK not always having R1s.

That's overly optimistic considering Geelong have the lowest number of players on their list in the competition. Your club won't really be in a position to trade away any more players and picks until that gets sorted out.

That's overly optimistic considering Geelong have the lowest number of players on their list in the competition. Your club won't really be in a position to trade away any more players and picks until that gets sorted out.
It's more to do with the tonne of 2016 3rd picks. Gets a little something around pick 15 depending on how rubbish Brisbane are. Again totally optimistic but as this year shows, clubs with academies are more than happy to do it.

Definitely agree. Just one of those midfielders that I honestly can't understand everyone getting so excited about. A lot like Kelly, Whitfield, Toumpas, and similar sorts. Just don't do anything that stands out, though they're not necessarily bad players (except Toumpas apparently).
Yep - same as Jack Trengove. Just so white bread.

You're not currently in a position to be bagging up players for less players. Maybe if you recruit some DFAs or pluck a few decent rookies . . .
heck me dead. I never once talked about players. I'm talking about the 2016 R3 pick we got in exchange for players this year. Ergo they have no bearing on player acquisition this year. We have 2 x R3 next year. Which can equal a pick in the teens or 20s depending on the finishing positions.

glory be me dead. I never once talked about players. I'm talking about the 2016 R3 pick we got in exchange for players this year. Ergo they have no bearing on player acquisition this year. We have 2 x R3 next year. Which can equal a pick in the teens or 20s depending on the finishing positions.

o_O I know what you're talking about . . . When I say players I am referring to your future draft picks who would otherwise be players and help to address your short playing list, (33 atm).

If you don't get it I won't bother good luck to aish and yarran I'm glad yarran isn't at carlton anymore and I suspect Brisbane fans would feel the same on aish .
Cheers ..
The reason that Carlton supporters might be happy that Chris Yarran isn't there anymore is because he's petulant, and hasn't played good footy for quite a while. The reason that Brisbane supporters might be glad that James Aish is gone, would be due to bitterness, because he is only 19 years old, with elite talent and football brain.

Last edited:
Yes but we traded up from 6 to 3 this year and also got pick 7 this year. So we have two 1st rounders this year instead of one this year and next. So not really comprising our drafting unless we have a shocker next year and finish right down the bottom. Even then who is to say we get a better player than this years pick.
It's really going to be a time will tell situation. However given the first two picks seem a certainty this year we have our ourselves in a good position to get the player we want instead of hoping he is there at 6.
Anyway I'm happy with the situation as the club is backing itself in to improve again next year. Time will tell with the picks though.

Fair enough but I personally wouldn't have done it, it's very risky. Melbourne's list is coming along but 2016 will still be a development year and if you pick up a few injuries you could easily finish down the bottom, in which case next year's first rounder will be very valuable. Also apparently next years draft is stronger. Anyway, time will tell!

Remove this Banner Ad

So who won trade week!?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back