So...who's left?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think one of the following would be worth adding via the PSD or Rookie draft, with Howson a more likely Rookie Pick:
Justin Hardy (KPF/KPD)
Club: Central Districts
Height: 196cm
Weight: 97kg
DOB: 14/01/1988

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/scouts-eye-hardy/story-fn525un5-1226475979882

Lucas Cook (KPF/KPD)
Club: Melbourne / Casey
Weight: 91kg
DOB: 03/03/1992
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/lucas-cook-out-to-prove-melbourne-wrong-and-forge-an-afl-career-at-a-second-club/story-fnfll94y-1226493750429

Jack Frost (KPD/KPF)
Club: Williamstown
Height: 194cm
Weight: 90kg
DOB: 25/02/1992
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/localfooty/a-touch-of-frost/story-fn53khop-1226490428187

Alex Howson (KPF/KPD)
Club: East Fremantle
Height: 195cm
Weight: 82kg
DOB: 25/05/1994

And all of them have deep, classy midfields, which we will be closer to having in 2013 than we have ever been.

I think that Sydney's coaching staff is top shelf, and this is why they are so competitive, they rarely fall out of the top eight, or have
top ten draft picks, the same could be said of Geelong.
But recruit wisely, and gamble on making recycled players deliver. To recruit a Canadian rugby player with height, and give him time
to develop shows how good their development systems are.
To me they are a champion team, they have a sprinkling of A graders, and with hindsight now people think they have a classy midfield
with depth. No one had them in their top four predictions at the start of the 2012 year, some even said they would slide.
We are very similar to Sydney, but the difference is they recruit, develop, to fix their squad where needed.

I think we'll re-list Crower and Lighton in the PSD and then in the RD, there's seemingly a shed load of mids available so no doubt we'll take at least one of them.
Just a few of the mids available;

Dayle Garlett
Jason Pongracic
Cameron Banfield
Sam Lowrie
Laine Wilkins
Shane Nelson
Marvin Warrell
Sam Colquoun
Matthew Haynes

I think that Sydney's coaching staff is top shelf, and this is why they are so competitive, they rarely fall out of the top eight, or have
But recruit wisely, and gamble on making recycled players deliver. To recruit a Canadian rugby player with height, and give him time
To me they are a champion team, they have a sprinkling of A graders, and with hindsight now people think they have a classy midfield
with depth. No one had them in their top four predictions at the start of the 2012 year, some even said they would slide.
We are very similar to Sydney, but the difference is they recruit, develop, to fix their squad where needed.
Agree with most of what you've said but they've had their failures as well, speaking of the forward line, recruiting Daniel Bradshaw didn't work out for them. Reid has heaps of potential however is very inconsistent, their leading goal kicker is a winger, since Barry Hall left they've struggled in that area of the ground. FFC at least have Pav up forward while bolstering that midfield impact going forward, 2013 will be very interesting as hopefully it will mark the first time in a long time that our midfield is ready to go with a full preseason with some great youth inserted along the way.
We are building and have been for a while the same type of system, we now have Lyon, Stone and Kirk from the 'sydney' style to add to that culture/change/process going forward. The thing I like most about Sydney's plans is that they value players on other lists that aren't getting a go or aren't played in the right positions and target them, too many clubs focus on getting the best 18 year olds as the only way to go about it. Sydney get players that are not only talented but individually driven to succeed at their occupation.

just on the international rookie. Does anyone else think we are missing out on something there. these internationals are not on the list, so they dont take up a spot. and you look at some of the success stories in Kennelly, Pyke, clarke and Toohey, it makes me wonder if we should be exploring the option a little more. I like the idea of recruiting one of the south africans, they are natural athletes and we have a zone area there (i think they split it up between us, west coast, carlton and geelong) .... obvioulsy they have to be a good fit and willing to give it a go, but what is the worst that can happen? doesnt even cost a pick.

just on the international rookie. Does anyone else think we are missing out on something there. these internationals are not on the list, so they dont take up a spot. and you look at some of the success stories in Kennelly, Pyke, clarke and Toohey, it makes me wonder if we should be exploring the option a little more.

I listened in on a conversation at the B&F between a club official and a supporter who asked the very same question. Bit drunk by that stage, so only got the gist of it is which is that it's very costly and because we don't make big profits we instead focus on local talent. Though there was also something about the AFL doing some of the heavy lifting, identifying prospects and funnelling them towards the clubs (very hazy recollection).

Also IIRC (from reading the press) a lot have serious problems with homesickness. I gather Wet Toast have the same opinion, Perth's remoteness probably makes it a whole lot harder.

I think one of the following would be worth adding via the PSD or Rookie draft, with Howson a more likely Rookie Pick:
Justin Hardy (KPF/KPD)
Club: Central Districts
Weight: 97kg
DOB: 14/01/1988
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/scouts-eye-hardy/story-fn525un5-1226475979882

Lucas Cook (KPF/KPD)
Club: Melbourne / Casey
Weight: 91kg
DOB: 03/03/1992
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/lucas-cook-out-to-prove-melbourne-wrong-and-forge-an-afl-career-at-a-second-club/story-fnfll94y-1226493750429

Jack Frost (KPD/KPF)
Club: Williamstown
Height: 194cm
Weight: 90kg
DOB: 25/02/1992
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/localfooty/a-touch-of-frost/story-fn53khop-1226490428187

Alex Howson (KPF/KPD)
Club: East Fremantle
Height: 195cm
Weight: 82kg
DOB: 25/05/1994

On Jack Frost (the older brother of Sam Frost picked by GWS) check this out:

In Round 22, he eclipsed Cats Mitch Brown and Nathan Vardy as Williamstown confirmed its spot in the finals with a four-point win.

Against Bendigo in the elimination final, the athletic backman limited Bendigo forward and 2010 Frosty Miller medallist Matthew Little to one goal.

Casey's Lucas Cook - a first-round AFL draft pick two years ago - was then held goalless by Frost

Frost is a real beauty. McPharlin replacement in my view.

I listened in on a conversation at the B&F between a club official and a supporter who asked the very same question. Bit drunk by that stage, so only got the gist of it is which is that it's very costly and because we don't make big profits we instead focus on local talent. Though there was also something about the AFL doing some of the heavy lifting, identifying prospects and funnelling them towards the clubs (very hazy recollection).

Also IIRC (from reading the press) a lot have serious problems with homesickness. I gather Wet Toast have the same opinion, Perth's remoteness probably makes it a whole lot harder.

fair enough. I cant imagine our profits would any less than sydney though. Those reasons must be it, but some of those south african boys are just pure athletes, and perth to south africa wouldnt be any further than say Sydney to ireland i wouldnt have thought. But anyway, just a thought

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't need a Pavlich replacement, we just need someone who can take a contested mark up forward and kick at the goal against an AFL key defender and not even every quarter.

In my opinion of course.

It sounds pretty straight forward and if that's all the player does then they've pulled their weight, but it would be a waste to use an early pick on them if the rest of the league will let them go until the preseason draft.

IMO I would let Crichton go. Has shown a bit but not enough. Mind you Ross might be looking for a similar response like Clancee sooooo....

I'd redraft Lower in the PSD, so this leaves us with 1 PSD and 2 Rookie picks.

In the PSD I'd be looking at someone that can have an immediate impact and step up and play league football in 2013. Here I'd be looking at Justin Hardy (24, 195, 99) or maybe even Scott Clouston (25, 193, 92).

In the Rookie I'd be looking at some of the following. I only know of these players from what I've read can anyone elaborate on them some more.

Jake Calvert (19, 192, 99), Nick Rodda (18, 196, 98), Jake Frost (20, 194, 90), Jack Hannath (21, 201, 97), Alex Howson (18, 195, 80), Aaron Luccon (18, 198, 90), Josh Porter (18, 193, 95) and Ethan Gill (17, 194, 100).

As you can see I've selected mainly players with allready bigger bodies i.e. no Bennet Coppings haha :p who need to put on at least 20 kilos to play AFL.

Has it been stated anywhere that we are picking up lower again??
I finally succumbed to the pressure and put bloody twitter on my phone the other day and was looking at adding a few freo players, Lower was 1 of them.
From one of his twits oops tweets it sounded like he could be heading back to Adelaide soon.

Has it been stated anywhere that we are picking up lower again??
I finally succumbed to the pressure and put bloody twitter on my phone the other day and was looking at adding a few freo players, Lower was 1 of them.
From one of his twits oops tweets it sounded like he could be heading back to Adelaide soon.

You mean this...

Nick Lower@LowerNick10
@travisboak10 anytime champ. Might be in SA soon. Do a coffee and I'll fill you in on it? #ruffoforlife

I would assume most interstate players would consider heading home at Christmas for a week or so wouldn't they?

He also said this "Is wondering how @mbarlow21 @NickSuban @quickeeze are going without me #stopcrying" If he want's to be rookied or picked up in the PSD then why is he back in Adeliade. Unless it's for family reasons which is acceptable, the only thing that makes sense is he's content with what he has achieved at AFL level. He did finish uni the other week so maybe he's looking at the next stage of his life.

Can any East Freo guys shed some light on Howson?
I recall during the year he shuffled around between defence and attack so his goals for might not give us a real idea of his ability.
I do recall that he had a few good bags of goals so obviously he has some talent.

He also said this "Is wondering how @mbarlow21 @NickSuban @quickeeze are going without me #stopcrying" If he want's to be rookied or picked up in the PSD then why is he back in Adeliade. Unless it's for family reasons which is acceptable, the only thing that makes sense is he's content with what he has achieved at AFL level. He did finish uni the other week so maybe he's looking at the next stage of his life.
Who's the 3rd one? @quickeeze

Can any East Freo guys shed some light on Howson?
I recall during the year he shuffled around between defence and attack so his goals for might not give us a real idea of his ability.
I do recall that he had a few good bags of goals so obviously he has some talent.
He played attack basically all year for Easts and kicked 58.27 in 18 games. Played defence for WA in the champs and was quite impressive with a good spoil and defensive pressure which he didn't show when he played up forward for East Fremantle. Combine them and give him a pre-season and you have a replacement for Pav who can play a McPharlin role if necessary. An extremely good overhead mark

He played attack basically all year for Easts and kicked 58.27 in 18 games. Played defence for WA in the champs and was quite impressive with a good spoil and defensive pressure which he didn't show when he played up forward for East Fremantle. Combine them and give him a pre-season and you have a replacement for Pav who can play a McPharlin role if necessary. An extremely good overhead mark

Sounds good to me. Why wouldn't we give this guy a go? We certainly don't need another midfielder come half forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

So...who's left?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back