Coach So you want Voss gone? Who will replace him and why would they want to coach Carlton?

Here are a few assistant coaches going around at the moment. Plus a few others. What do you think?

• Scott Burns (Crows)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Blake Caracella (ESS)

Votes: 21 11.6%
  • Justin Leppitsch (Filth)

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Josh Fraser (Filth)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Josh Carr (Port)

Votes: 13 7.2%
  • Brendon Lade (Dogs)

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Kade Simpson (Hawks)

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Nigel Lappin (Geelong)

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • Dean Cox (Swans)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Adam Yze ( Melb)

• Don Pyke

Votes: 45 24.9%
  • Chocco Williams

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Nathan Buckley

• Ken Hinkley

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Adam Simpson

Votes: 15 8.3%
  • Stuart Dew

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Leon Cameron

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Brett Ratten

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • Damien Hardwick

Votes: 40 22.1%
  • John Worsfold

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Paul Roos

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Brent Momgomery

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hamil.. backline coach
1. Still get organise the def where saad plays higher and can use his run
2. Young Weiters Gov..all good at 3rd man in intercepting..rarely seen it

Clarke..mfield coach
18 months in mfield mix still the same
For that 18 months it's been ok when we bashing teams at the clearance and contest..but when we don't??
Weeks on end oppo using same tactic v cripps..but not endeavor to change it

Hansen.. forward coach
Smalls are always out of position and don't impact enough
All forwards to stagnant..not enough leading up to the kicker
There's no consatina effect..where when one leads up to space another falls back into space hes leaving
So it's just bomb bomb bomb

Vfl set up
Get guys playing the role you want them to play in the 1st in the 2nds
Fir example why play fish as full time mid when he doesnt play that role in 1s
Sos last week playing back

Thus is a whole coaching issue not just a Voss

Club erred when appointing him but not having an exp mentor who has been round the block and had experience
Even hes boss Llyod isn't that..hes a bloke not even sure of his own position
The issue was always gunna b what happens if we didn't hit our expectations or hit a bit of a slump..the reaction of the wider footy public but more so the wider carlton community..we knew it would lead to Voss being under the pump..totally negligent by club by not having that senior mentor for voss

Fair bit of a 90s/00s richmond feel in this thread.

I don't know that sacking another coach is the solution but you guys probably have a better view of the situation than I.

Fair bit of a 90s/00s richmond feel in this thread.

I don't know that sacking another coach is the solution but you guys probably have a better view of the situation than I.
I bet we don’t.
When you’ve got board members death riding the team so they can boast that they wanted a different coach, it doesn’t bode well for quality, unified decisions.

Voss should be kept purely for consistency. But they absolutely need to do a proper review of the entire football department and not the joke of a review from 2 years ago that said everything is fine but just sack the head coach.

If nothing else I like to think Cook knows what he's doing. But this club has a way of taking highly experienced people and ignoring them or forcing them out the door ala Greg Swan.

And at some point the players must be held accountable. How many iterations of Carlton playing groups have quit on their coach? Far too many.

Its a long term culture problem from the board down.

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I bet we don’t.
When you’ve got board members death riding the team so they can boast that they wanted a different coach, it doesn’t bode well for quality, unified decisions.

The board first and foremost are to blame for the club's current on field state, more so than Voss.

Happy for a board spill to happen (provided we have decent, qualified and legit candidates who are not in thrall of Pokies King Matheison)

Could accept Voss leaving if meant whole or most of the board goes too.

The board first and foremost are to blame for the club's current on field state, more so than Voss.

Happy for a board spill to happen (provided we have decent, qualified and legit candidates who are not in thrall of Pokies King Matheison)

And you know this how?

The board determines the game plan?

How so Elmer!

How so Elmer!

Aside from overseeing the mismanagement of the list (paying overs for certain players from other clubs) , they have also proved compromised in their assistant and senior coach appointments (in hindsight it was a mistake for Sayers to say categorically we were only interested in a senior experienced coach to replace Teague, we should have at least given Adem Yze and Adam Kingsley a couple of interviews for the sake of having a comprehensive search)

Maybe I am overreacting, I just don't have much faith and trust in this current board and President being able to get our on field teams (both in the AFL and AFLW) successful again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, Fisher was 7th in the F & B last year (but gone backwards at a rate of knots in 2023).

Owies has done his job:

View attachment 1704146

Mots should be developing in the 2s and Durdin should be used more through the middle....
I don't know why we have to always play 3 small fwds and usually Fish as well.
If they're not performing their task, then go a bit taller, like Binns, Walsh, Cotters, Kemp, Cinc. etc. until Martin or Cunners are available(they're all reasonably fast).
He just won't try anything 'out of the box'.

Last edited:
Clarkson also had access to high draft selections on top of priority picks.
His team also kept showing improvement.

Not saying sack Voss but those using Hardwick bomber Thompson and Clarkson as examples of sticking fat with your coach. Those guys all had steady measurable and visible improvements, made finals etc.

I just want to see gradual improvement. We had it under bolts - till we didn't. We had a step up under Teague - then no improvement again and now the same. A step up and then back down under Voss. Even if it's only one win better a season....

The root cause of the ineffective board is the nominations' commitee. How can the board be changed out when nominations are filtered and the full board never stands for election before the members?

I honestly don't know yet whether to replace, or persist. BUT...if we replace, i want there to be enough time for the new coach to influence list decisions for their first season in charge. I know it means that an early decision needs to be made, but i'd prefer the new coach to have an imprint from the start.

This
How many coaches and players have been wasted at our club. Honestly, I’m surprised ex-players don’t have PTSD after being involved at Carlton. It can’t be all the coaches and all the players fault if it keeps happening. We aren’t a club that enables success. The club, above players and coaches clear as day stifle success, either for their own gain(ego) or through sheer stubbornness, stupidity and total incompetence.

Until that changes nothing will change. It’s hopeless as normal supporters and members have zero chance to change that absolute shitshow.

Spin merchant. Lyon himself said there was no job for him, but sure go with a "suggestion" from Tom Morris. Keep campaigning on that falsehood. You'll do yourself out of votes.
Just want to say why would it be a bad thing if true that a board member stepped in and said 'no he doesn't align with club standards take him off the list'. That's literally part of their roles as board members....you seem super offended that a board member might've done that? Im proud a board member did it. **** Ross.

Recent premiers in West coast and hawthorn weren't quick teams.

If the conditions need to be perfect for your skipper to set sail then you need to find something else to do. You won't be sailing much. All teams have flaws. Coaches are supposed to develop a team to maximise strengths. Not focus on flaws
Rules have been evolving... 6/6/6, stand, able to play on immediately after a point is scored, tiggy-touchy 50m penalty if person on mark goes over mark, quicker throw up (instead of bouncing ball) at congestion... all designed to speed up play... of course, speed is not only how fast a player can run, but also how quickly they can move the ball forward to your own team player... it's also here where we're lacking... (IMO)...

The root cause of the ineffective board is the nominations' commitee. How can the board be changed out when nominations are filtered and the full board never stands for election before the members?
1. How many members do you think would actually vote?
2. How many of the very few members that voted would have a clue who are the right people?

Just want to say why would it be a bad thing if true that a board member stepped in and said 'no he doesn't align with club standards take him off the list'. That's literally part of their roles as board members....you seem super offended that a board member might've done that? Im proud a board member did it. * Ross.
SHT you seem to project a lot of your own issues into other peoples posts.

My issue is with posters spinning bullshit to progress a board challenge. No such board ticket or candidate deserves any support in my eyes. Its a lazy appeal to prejudices based on lies, and to me, demonstrates why that candidate or ticket will never do/support the hard work that Cartlton's footy department needs. Its all performance art for the coteries.

Its an entirely different conversation if a board member/s had blocked Lyon. Lyon did it himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach So you want Voss gone? Who will replace him and why would they want to coach Carlton?

Back