Coach So you want Voss gone? Who will replace him and why would they want to coach Carlton?

Here are a few assistant coaches going around at the moment. Plus a few others. What do you think?

• Scott Burns (Crows)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Blake Caracella (ESS)

Votes: 21 11.6%
  • Justin Leppitsch (Filth)

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Josh Fraser (Filth)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Josh Carr (Port)

Votes: 13 7.2%
  • Brendon Lade (Dogs)

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Kade Simpson (Hawks)

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Nigel Lappin (Geelong)

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • Dean Cox (Swans)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Adam Yze ( Melb)

• Don Pyke

Votes: 45 24.9%
  • Chocco Williams

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Nathan Buckley

• Ken Hinkley

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Adam Simpson

Votes: 15 8.3%
  • Stuart Dew

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Leon Cameron

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Brett Ratten

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • Damien Hardwick

Votes: 40 22.1%
  • John Worsfold

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Paul Roos

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Brent Momgomery

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The root cause of the ineffective board is the nominations' commitee. How can the board be changed out when nominations are filtered and the full board never stands for election before the members?

How else would they be able to manipulate getting the "correct" people in place on the board?

You don't even have to do a good job on our board, if you oversee something that's been a disaster, often you fail upwards and get a promotion!

Rules have been evolving... 6/6/6, stand, able to play on immediately after a point is scored, tiggy-touchy 50m penalty if person on mark goes over mark, quicker throw up (instead of bouncing ball) at congestion... all designed to speed up play... of course, speed is not only how fast a player can run, but also how quickly they can move the ball forward to your own team player... it's also here where we're lacking... (IMO)...
Have heard that plenty. Then have so heard coaches and scouts say it's not different and the tweaks don't actually change as much as the media likes to pretend.

Voss Brisbane 3peat team would probably be top 4 in this era crushing everyone playing like they did back then.

Do what works for your playing group

Recent premiers in West coast and hawthorn weren't quick teams.

If the conditions need to be perfect for your skipper to set sail then you need to find something else to do. You won't be sailing much. All teams have flaws. Coaches are supposed to develop a team to maximise strengths. Not focus on flaws
Game & rules have changed a fair bit since Eagles won, both teams had much better skills, ball movement, depth and structure/system.

Game & rules have changed a fair bit since Eagles won, both teams had much better skills, ball movement, depth and structure/system.
Proooobably yeah, although general play footy is still footy - still would like to see more maximising of strengths instead of attempting to minimise weakness. - would've thought fast ball movement and a more empty forward line would suit Charlie and H? Maybe unsustainable to play that way all the time ig.

Rules have been evolving... 6/6/6, stand, able to play on immediately after a point is scored, tiggy-touchy 50m penalty if person on mark goes over mark, quicker throw up (instead of bouncing ball) at congestion... all designed to speed up play... of course, speed is not only how fast a player can run, but also how quickly they can move the ball forward to your own team player... it's also here where we're lacking... (IMO)...
Exactly.
Old fashioned footy was so stagnated it allowed players to recover between contests and set up defensive and attacking positioning.(man on man, no zones)

I can look for you. Not sure what the parameters are - just from 2005 for all teams or an 18 year before the right coach type thing (2023-2005)?
Didn’t mean for that to come off as being rude sorry . But these clubs achieved something

Geelong. No coach sacked since before Bomber. He left of own accord.
Hawks: no coach sacked since before Clarkson . Left of his own accord.
Doggies. Sticking with Bevo
WCE: worsfold left no sacking.
Collingwood: Malthouse left no sacking.
Sydney: Roos then Horse. No sacking.

In similar time periods we’ve sacked 5 or 6. Depending when u start.

You can argue some of the examples were pushed into roles they didn’t want but they all went along with it.
Even then it’s 2 v 6

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can look for you. Not sure what the parameters are - just from 2005 for all teams or an 18 year before the right coach type thing (2023-2005)?
passmark much worse with the shorter time frame but still not the worst club. I excluded the two newbies as they aren't old enough and for half the time were run by the AFL etc. Just too different. Summary Carlton at 6 with Adelaide and the saints. Esseandon at 7. Tried to make sure no caretakers were included - ie Barker for us etc

Attachments

• IMG_1023.png
    IMG_1023.png
    40 KB · Views: 48
Didn’t mean for that to come off as being rude sorry . But these clubs achieved something

Geelong. No coach sacked since before Bomber. He left of own accord.
Hawks: no coach sacked since before Clarkson . Left of his own accord.
Doggies. Sticking with Bevo
WCE: worsfold left no sacking.
Collingwood: Malthouse left no sacking.
Sydney: Roos then Horse. No sacking.

In similar time periods we’ve sacked 5 or 6. Depending when u start.
Yeah I didn't take it as rude no I'm just looking at number of coaches.

The approach to hiring coaches has been disastrous for 20 plus years with one exception.

The one time they ran an uncompromised coach search lead to us having Bolton who for the first phase of his career did what he needed to. He brought together a very young squad and developed high end talent into All Australian level. He just couldn't take the next step and turn that development into wins. But overall he was a success in turning the list around.

The club needs to run proper coaching searches without saying dumb shit like it must be a veteran coach. It's knee jerk and foolish. Imagine if Collingwood said that 18 months ago!

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

passmark much worse with the shorter time frame but still not the worst club. I excluded the two newbies as they aren't old enough and for half the time were run by the AFL etc. Just too different. Summary Carlton at 6 with Adelaide and the saints. Esseandon at 7. Tried to make sure no caretakers were included - ie Barker for us etc
Ok. That’s kinda what I’m saying.
It’s not just the number of coaches it’s the circumstances.

If you’re an aspiring coach or even assistant do you go where, even if things don’t work out, you’ll be treated with respect or go to Carlton or Essendon where they start the whispers before you’re in the door and you’re constantly looking over your shoulder for the plotters.

If I considered myself a good assistant coach who wants to be in the industry for a long time and have success I’d avoid Ikon Park like it was a leper colony.

Why does a senior coach with 142 games as Coach under his belt need a 'mentor'?
That is a good question. We were specifically looking for an experienced AFL coach but perhaps we should have been looking for an AFL ready coach.

Ok. That’s kinda what I’m saying.
It’s not just the number of coaches it’s the circumstances.

If you’re an aspiring coach or even assistant do you go where, even if things don’t work out, you’ll be treated with respect or go to Carlton or Essendon where they start the whispers before you’re in the door and you’re constantly looking over your shoulder for the plotters.

If I considered myself a good assistant coach who wants to be in the industry for a long time and have success I’d avoid Ikon Park like it was a leper colony.
Yeah with the natural attrition rate with patience you should get your go. I agree. My st George dragons are currently learning it's hard to attract a good coach when your off field is nasty. With their main choice deciding to go and be an assistant at the Storm instead. IE wait and learn off Bellamy. Exactly what you're saying.

I'd back Voss with the caveat we get a Cook type from somewhere to be a coaching assistant. IE someone near the end of their career who's not trying to make it in the industry and can 'reset' a few things etc... But I'd prefer that move to happen sooner rather than later. Sub 60 scores and the current trends are nasty to watch

Yeah with the natural attrition rate with patience you should get your go. I agree. My st George dragons are currently learning it's hard to attract a good coach when your off field is nasty. With their main choice deciding to go and be an assistant at the Storm instead. IE wait and learn off Bellamy. Exactly what you're saying.

I'd back Voss with the caveat we get a Cook type from somewhere to be a coaching assistant. IE someone near the end of their career who's not trying to make it in the industry and can 'reset' a few things etc... But I'd prefer that move to happen sooner rather than later. Sub 60 scores and the current trends are nasty to watch
Amen.
Going 30-60 minutes without a goal regularly is brain imploding viewing.
It is literally worse that getting teeth pulled.

Sanderson could be a good choice for a senior assistant.
Great call.

I've also mentioned his name as well in a few threads - reckon he could be a good appointment. He's on SEN each week dissecting each of the upcoming games for the weekend, the strategies of each team going head to head, and his prediction of which team should win accordingly. It's really impressive listening - not the confusing garbage you hear from the Breretons of the world - but great strategic analysis in layman's language.

The reality is that Collingwood are sitting top of the ladder right now, but we don't honestly know if McRae is a good coach, or a good leader/manager of men surrounded by a great set of assistants. He even stated in his segment on SEN a few weeks back that they wouldn't be where they are right now without the strategic input of Leppitsch....which is why he is so sought after as an assistant, and probably the leading candidate for the Tiggs senior gig.

After hearing Brian Cook's interview on 3AW a few weeks back, he described Voss's coaching style as 'great leadership', which doesn't necessarily equate to being a good strategist. For mine, someone like Sanderson would be a good appointment to complement someone like Vossy - to sit in the coaches box on game day and relay feedback/advice to Voss on the bench, similar to Leppa and McRae.

I guess the issue may be if Voss is prepared to listen and take advice....from what we've heard from a few on here, he's a stubborn prick. But that would be a separate issue for Cook to sort out if Voss was playing the lone wolf.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach So you want Voss gone? Who will replace him and why would they want to coach Carlton?

Back