Coach So you want Voss gone? Who will replace him and why would they want to coach Carlton?

Here are a few assistant coaches going around at the moment. Plus a few others. What do you think?

• Scott Burns (Crows)

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Blake Caracella (ESS)

Votes: 20 10.7%
  • Justin Leppitsch (Filth)

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • Josh Fraser (Filth)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Josh Carr (Port)

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Brendon Lade (Dogs)

• Kade Simpson (Hawks)

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Nigel Lappin (Geelong)

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Dean Cox (Swans)

• Adam Yze ( Melb)

• Don Pyke

Votes: 44 23.5%
  • Chocco Williams

Votes: 17 9.1%
  • Nathan Buckley

• Ken Hinkley

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Adam Simpson

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Stuart Dew

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Leon Cameron

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Damien Hardwick

Votes: 40 21.4%
  • John Worsfold

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Paul Roos

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Brent Momgomery

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You want to supply a direct quote and source for that one?

This is a public forum, you don't seem capable of hearing other opinions without getting hysterical and personal but it is going to happen from time to time FYI.
It was in the article you linked. Didn't read that bit? Didn't suit your agenda?. I'll treat your posts as opinion when you stop trying to make out they are facts.

It was in the article you linked. Didn't read that bit? Didn't suit your agenda?. I'll treat your posts as opinion when you stop trying to make out they are facts.

That was when Teague still was in place, Ross was clearly playing the media game as to not dance on someone's grave at that point.

You can't be serious can you? LOL

That was when Teague still was in place, Ross was clearly playing the media game as to not dance on someone's grave at that point.

You can't be serious can you? LOL
So you have no respect for other opinions? How surprising.

He is 30 games into his Carlton coaching career.
Give him a break. He hasn't got a magic wand .
Can you imagine hawthorn getting rid of clarkson 30 games in ?
Show some patience people.
Hawthorn won 5 games in Clarksons first year (1 more than the previous year) and 9 in his second. They were trending up and made the finals the next year then a flag the year after.

A coach of a team improving each year is irrelevant to our case. We started well last year upon his arrival and have progressively gotten worse since.

So you have no respect for other opinions? How surprising
irony-alert-ironic.jpg

I know you're just trolling at this point, so I'll leave it here. A circular conversation as expected...

My opinion (FWIW, ie, nada)
I'm happy to ignore the Voss era at Brisbane apart from the fact it didn't end well.
Looking at the available evidence based on his time with us, it's not looking good, nor is it inspiring any hope. The team managed 44 points last night. A new low. This won't win you many games as we head towards a bottom four finish, a far cry from expectations.
Based on what we are as a club, the most likely outcome is a new coach come October.
So, who is available (actual or possible) and realistically an option? Just throwing names around randomly without any preference.

Experienced
Çhoco, Pyke, Buckley, Hinkley, Simpson, Dew, Cameron, Ratten, Hardwick, Worsfold?

Others
Carr, Mattner, Yze, Giansiracusa, Montgomery, Burns, Schofield, Caracella,
Postecoglou
Postecoglou would cost the entire soft cap & he can’t do everything by himself

Hi nicies, just some outside commentary for you. I think for your club’s stability you keep Voss but look at who’s supporting him. Hinkley was on the chopping board until Josh Carr moved from us to Port this year and Port players have been public in acknowledging his work. Likewise with Hardwick, he was a flake until the Richmond board switched up the assistant coaches and installed Neil Balme as GM. Next year they win the flag. If a club is continually switching coaches with negligible change, then the problem is likely less to do with the coach and more to do with who is supporting him.
Agree with this 100%. Matthew Lloyd's brother has to go first. Russell too. Whether our injury list is on him or not, he's definitely not performing in line with his salary which impacts our ability to pay other coaches.

Would like a cook led review and clean out.

I'd like to see a big play at Pyke come end of year as he's also capable of taking on a caretaker role if Voss is given the flick. Renowned as one of the best forwards and ball movement coaches in the league and a had Adelaide genuinely playing some of the most exciting footy I've seen a team play before the 2017 Grand final disaster.

Russell was signed to an extension in secrecy on a reduced wage so he won't be going anywhere but I too would like to see Lloyd gone.

This argument about wokeness is archaic and frankly pathetic. Save it for the SRP board or Facebook. We aren't doing it here.

It’s relevant. This thread is about the coach and possible coaching appointments. None of which are made without the approval of the board.

Said board who dismissed Lyon for questionable reasons and we’re all left wondering why??

Kings of Lygon post was bang on.

Not having a shot at any posters, but calling BS on the Voss sacked on Monday rumour apparently doing the rounds.
Would be such a stupid move at this point in time.

It’s relevant. This thread is about the coach and possible coaching appointments. None of which are made without the approval of the board.

Said board who dismissed Lyon for questionable reasons and we’re all left wondering why??

Kings of Lygon post was bang on.
Lyon dismissed the selection process, but tell us something else happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny how the Lyon apologists all line up to take a swing with such erudite hindsight.
Theres some irony for you.

It's not hindsight, plenty of us were vocally disappointed and spoke out against it at the time... Check our posting histories. Would you say that appointing Voss is working out, when we chose to go through a process instead of just appointing Ross as St. Kilda did?

In what way is it ironic at all? I think you mean inconvenient for those of you who ran us down at the time for suggesting that the governance of the football club is/was poor and has/had its priorities wrong. Is that what you mean?

It's not hindsight, plenty of us were vocally disappointed and spoke out against it at the time... Check our posting histories. Would you say that appointing Voss is working out, when we chose to go through a process instead of just appointing Ross as St. Kilda did?

In what way is it ironic at all? I think you mean inconvenient for those of you who ran us down at the time for suggesting that the governance of the football club is/was poor and has/had its priorities wrong. Is that what you mean?

Stop. You’re making too much sense.

It’s hitting a nerve with people. ;)

Austin can't fall back on past selections by Silvagni to exonerate himself. He's been there long enough to start seeing the shape of things.

He opted to avoid the draft to get Saad and Cerra. He opted to spend on Williams and Hewett. He has tightened our cap by doing this and had a better each way on what we need to going forward. 2 slowish inside mids and 2 quick half backs, however one had a history of injury and he wanted to turn him into a midfielder based on one game.

We haven't tried to improve our ruck stocks in any meaningful way. We tried to get Weitering key defensive help with a late pick trade.

Before we sucked but with room in the cap. Now we suck with no room to move.

Yeah nah, Austin doesn't escape for his part.

They've all been exposed very quickly and shockingly.

I agree with some of this.

However, I believe the Cerra trade was a very good one for us. Of our midfield he's the only one that has improved (significantly) on what he produced last year and just quietly I think he's the one most suited for the way the game has deceloped. He's sound defensively and is still an offensive weapon.

The Williams deal was a mistake. A few people that I've spoken to - and early thread checking here bears some fruit from those who've proven to have insight if not connections - suggested the move well before Austin was on board.

I'm going to be brutally honest here and it may not be well liked from other posters here or from those outside of the club but what has always happened at Carlton had happened again.

When we essentially sacked Silvagni we should have cleaned out our entire major recruiting staff and overhauled the department. Instead, we fractured our factions, gave SOS the flick and because allegedly he was opposed to SOS we retained Agresta.

Consequently, I think much of what you're levelling onto Austin in your post should be levelled onto Agresta. I argue that if you want to criticise Austin it's for placing way too much faith into Agresta and the team and allowing them to complete the moves that they had tabled early on after SOS.

With Agresta we have missed on too many drafts. We have no players instrumental on our b22 on the list from the 2016 draft (sorry Fisher but you're not the player you may have been), 2019 (Kemp a chance), 2020 (Durdin a chance) and 2021 (Motlop a chance).

2017 only bares the TDK fruit and 2018 while Walsh has been worthy of the top pick is all she wrote that year.

Two players from six national drafts and only one of them has realised their potential. So many wasted draft picks even when we were hitting the draft. Three top ten picks that will result in two delistings and a pick to get us a player who had failed at another club and has had a poor second year at Carlton. No real hits outside of the high picks we have had.

We have hope with 2022 but early days yet.

I have some confidence in Austin but most of those mistakes you can level directly at SOS and Agresta. Agresta needed to go with SOS and I could care absolute less about what side of the Silvagni Vs Liddle Saga he was on.

I was happy when Voss was hired, thought it made sense at the time. My slight disappointment with him was he was with Hinkley for so long, shame he didn't send some time at another club.

Now he is halfway through his second year, it's just not working, wrong person for the job although I bet he works his ass off. No idea who the next coach needs to be, but we def need a change. I'd be happy if it does become Hardwick, coaches a very watchable game and he would help bring in players/culture etc

I'd like to see a big play at Pyke come end of year as he's also capable of taking on a caretaker role if Voss is given the flick. Renowned as one of the best forwards and ball movement coaches in the league and a had Adelaide genuinely playing some of the most exciting footy I've seen a team play before the 2017 Grand final disaster.

Russell was signed to an extension in secrecy on a reduced wage so he won't be going anywhere but I too would like to see Lloyd gone.

Where has the Russell news comes from

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Where has the Russell news comes from

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
Forgotten where it was announced but mighta been Footy Classified or Damo's daily podcast crap. Sounds like the club wanted to keep it under wraps as they knew it wouldn't be received well.

Lets face it though, regardless of opinions on his performance nobody would get half these blokes bodies right. Cuningham, Gov, Martin, Marchbank, Williams, Philp... They just don't have the bodies to get through the rigors of AFL and will be gone because of it. Same with types like Nathan Freeman for the Pies.

Clearly the club has made the judgement that it's the players bodies that are the problem, not Russel's programs.

Forgotten where it was announced but mighta been Footy Classified or Damo's daily podcast crap. Sounds like the club wanted to keep it under wraps as they knew it wouldn't be received well.

Lets face it though, regardless of opinions on his performance nobody would get half these blokes bodies right. Cuningham, Gov, Martin, Marchbank, Williams, Philp... They just don't have the bodies to get through the rigors of AFL and will be gone because of it. Same with types like Nathan Freeman for the Pies.

Clearly the club has made the judgement that it's the players bodies that are the problem, not Russel's programs.

1. the only traded in player at Carlton from any other Club that hasn't been out with long term injury has been Cerra and (so far) Acres.
2. Hewett/Pittonet/Williams/Martin/McGovern have all been and or are injured for great lengths of time - that wasn't anyone's plan sad as it has turned out - that is a fair bit of firepower that Voss hasn't had at his disposal - now add Cuningham /Marchbank/Philp /Sam Durdin ( Oscar McDonald) to the list.

Aren't up to it

In my opinion, mainly based on reading the Tea Leaves in the media, the club will not pull the trigger on Voss (least until after the season) cause A sacking coaches mid season rarely produces the long term results needed (esp with a caretaker like Teague doing unexpectedly well and given the full time gig without any serious thought and consideration to other potential applicants) and B, with Dimma Hardwick quitting and Clarko steeping aside in recent weeks, mainly due to exhaustion/stress related factors, from a PR perspective, it would be a TOTAL nightmare if we sacked Voss now, after only being in charge for 30 something games in charge.

Finally, we are not making finals no matter what happens for the rest of the season or if we sacked Vossy tomorrow, so there is no actual tangible or positive endgame we could achieve before the season ends (aside from giving the usual coach killing bums/slackers on our list another reason not to be traded or delisted)

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach So you want Voss gone? Who will replace him and why would they want to coach Carlton?

Back