Coach So you want Voss gone? Who will replace him and why would they want to coach Carlton?

Here are a few assistant coaches going around at the moment. Plus a few others. What do you think?

• Scott Burns (Crows)

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Blake Caracella (ESS)

Votes: 20 10.7%
  • Justin Leppitsch (Filth)

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • Josh Fraser (Filth)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Josh Carr (Port)

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Brendon Lade (Dogs)

• Kade Simpson (Hawks)

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Nigel Lappin (Geelong)

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Dean Cox (Swans)

• Adam Yze ( Melb)

• Don Pyke

Votes: 44 23.5%
  • Chocco Williams

Votes: 17 9.1%
  • Nathan Buckley

• Ken Hinkley

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Adam Simpson

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Stuart Dew

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Leon Cameron

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Damien Hardwick

Votes: 40 21.4%
  • John Worsfold

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Paul Roos

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Brent Momgomery

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

How did we hire assistants with no input from an incoming senior coach.

Look at Ross Lyon. He brought a team he could trust to excute his plan

Same with Clarkson...

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
I have no idea how it all fell into place and whether Voss had much input.

Point here is valid

Comment on Voss as a hypothetical is valid. However in reality Voss didnt even make it past the 2nd round in the the collingwood coaching process. So they saw something in him that said not right for a senior gig

I wonder where he failed there?

Point here is valid

Comment on Voss as a hypothetical is valid. However in reality Voss didnt even make it past the 2nd round in the the collingwood coaching process. So they saw something in him that said not right for a senior gig

We've really got to improve in our hiring process. Using a corporate recruiting expert and rolling out some past club legends in the interview process hasn't cut it. I think the first thing needs to be deciding on a brand of footy that will actually beat the better sides, take the coaching and recruiting changes from there.

Whilst it may not look it, the effort is still there. This suggests the players are still ‘playing’ for Voss.

If we start losing games by 10 goals +, you know he’s lost them. Then he goes…
I get what you're saying, but I hope players keep putting in effort. I'm not sure if I'm going to say it right, but I'd rather us keep losing as we are with players putting in (not that I want this), than players giving up and there is also a question about their ability (including ability to perform under difficult circumstance) as well as their character. Again, IMO....

Clarkson also had access to high draft selections on top of priority picks.
We have had plenty of high draft picks and traded in, ex high draft picks.

With exception of those selected as moneyball sos trades, the failure to develop them drafted players outside of the Harry, Charlie, Weits draft is on the club.

We have had plenty of access and opportunities.

Difference is, the Clarkson built a list with a gameplan in mind. Hence elite kicks. And then filled it with role players, and targeted needs.

Where as we have effectively seen 3 different game plans employed. The club failed Bolton by not supplying him better support and particularly a senior assistant.

Teague should never have been hired. And here we are again

Last edited:
We have Cook now who’d help drive things, which we didn’t for the Voss appointment.
Is Cook going to stay beyond 2024?
If he is now the key decision maker, he needs to stick around to drive the result and performance ideally for duration of the new 5yr plan

I'm starting to think the mistake Sayers made after the appointment of Voss was saying "We expect to play finals next year".
Don't get me wrong, we all expect or aspire to play and win finals but the reality is we are showing we aren't there yet. The review stated that we should have played finals but I am now wondering how accurate and manufactured that was. Does anyone else now think a more cautious approach was needed with messaging something along the lines of :
  • We have committed to Vossy for at least 3 years and will give him every opportunity to introduce and implement his football methodology to the playing group in a structured and planned approach.
  • We will assess the playing group every year and make the necessary changes needed to reach our goal which is premierships under Vossy's leadership.
  • We will provide the Players and Coaching Staff with the best resources possible within the caps to ensure we reach our goal which is premierships under Vossy's leadership.

Has the weight of expectation impeded our group rather than motivating it?
First paragraph. In expectation. This is a possibility. Same language was what got Teague sacked.

Underperformance.

Thus, if an unrealistic expectation was set by President and board by extension, arent they first to fall on their sword?

First paragraph. In expectation. This is a possibility. Same language was what got Teague sacked.

Underperformance.

Thus, if an unrealistic expectation was set by President and board by extension, arent they first to fall on their sword?

Its their job to sell hope, how they think is the best way to do it is subjective I guess. I wouldn't have thought that doing it "wrong" is sackable but maybe you're right and it is.

Its their job to sell hope, how they think is the best way to do it is subjective I guess. I wouldn't have thought that doing it "wrong" is sackable but maybe you're right and it is.
They have done an excellent job of selling hope. 89k members says as much and the best prime time TV schedule since 2012.

Problem is the output doesnt match the message. Hence the disillusionment being expressed by many

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't surprise if he wants out of the fishbowl. He may not want the stress of a head coaching job though.
I remember when Mark Harvey told the media that he was keen for a head job. In another sentence he then said he was keen for the Fremantle job.

I wonder what Hardwick really wants ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach So you want Voss gone? Who will replace him and why would they want to coach Carlton?

Back