Coach So you want Voss gone? Who will replace him and why would they want to coach Carlton?

Here are a few assistant coaches going around at the moment. Plus a few others. What do you think?

• Scott Burns (Crows)

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Blake Caracella (ESS)

Votes: 20 10.7%
  • Justin Leppitsch (Filth)

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • Josh Fraser (Filth)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Josh Carr (Port)

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Brendon Lade (Dogs)

• Kade Simpson (Hawks)

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Nigel Lappin (Geelong)

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Dean Cox (Swans)

• Adam Yze ( Melb)

• Don Pyke

Votes: 44 23.5%
  • Chocco Williams

Votes: 17 9.1%
  • Nathan Buckley

• Ken Hinkley

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Adam Simpson

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Stuart Dew

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Leon Cameron

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Damien Hardwick

Votes: 40 21.4%
  • John Worsfold

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Paul Roos

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Brent Momgomery

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

...Remember that Voss declared we are a contested clearance team last year, over and over and that is what we want to be known as...

I was having this exact conversation today. Last year our identity was clear, we were known for and played hard contested footy. We dominated till half way through the year until we started losing players to injury. My question is, why didn't we keep and refine that game plan? It was entertaining, hard and played to our strengths. Yes the opposition would get run ons, but bar 3 games (Freo, Lions and Crows) we were never really blown away in games.

can we please stop sacking coaches after a season or two. They need at least 3-5 years so show their mettle.

The list is top 8 quality. It was last year, it is again this year.
We’ve failed in both seasons now and alarmingly, have regressed this year at a rapid rate despite a reasonably healthy playing group.

What makes you think a third year under this Voss’ method will see us improve to a finals berth?

Bolton had a miserable task in coaching the team during a major strip back of senior experience and whose charter was to blood the youngsters.

However, supporters (& the board) need to accept that like Teague, Voss isn’t the man. The club had the right intentions but cocked up the appointment. Again.

The faster we move on and find the right person the better. Just don’t put Diesel or Brad Lloyd in charge of the search.

p.s It’s Dimma or Pyke

Last edited:

I also said at that time, that I would be happy to give Voss a chance, albeit Lyon was preferable. It's a shame that Voss has run out of motivational speeches and appears to be another "Plan A at all costs" coach, who refuses to enact a ball movement stategy that doesn't revolve around literally bombing the ball into our F50 constantly.

We missed our chance at getting this appointment right, now we probably have to go back to the Carlton of old in sacking our coach and going for the Messiah option, which is Hardwick in the current space. It's just not working and I really don't feel it's the cattle... Groundhog day for so many of us unfortunately.

If you are going to edit and censor me, don't totally change the post to make me say something different please...

Last edited:
I also would be happy to give Voss a chance, albeit Lyon was preferable. It's a shame that Voss has run out of motivational speeches and appears to be another "Plan A at all costs" coach, who refuses to enact a ball movement stategy that doesn't revolve around literally bombing the ball into our F50 constantly.

We missed our chance at getting this appointment right, now we probably have to go back to the Carlton of old in sacking our coach and going for the Messiah option, which is Hardwick in the current space. It's just not working and I really don't feel it's the cattle... Groundhog day for so many of us unfortunately.
Show the evidence for the mockers on Lyon please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno about you all, but I'm so thrilled that we have a woke board member who put the mockers on Ross Lyon being our coach... putting that crap before winning games of football and being a successful club is working out really well for us.

I said all this at the time but that I also would be happy to give Voss a chance, albeit Lyon was preferable. It's a shame that Voss has run out of motivational speeches and appears to be another "Plan A at all costs" coach, who refuses to enact a ball movement stategy that doesn't revolve around literally bombing the ball into our F50 constantly.

This argument about wokeness is archaic and frankly pathetic. Save it for the SRP board or Facebook. We aren't doing it here.

Last edited:
Exactly right.

So shouldnt this be where those talking to prospective coaches be asking about their coaching philosophy, assessment of the list and the gameplan they will employ.

How they will handle pressure when it comes.

Its also where the interviewing and selection process ideally should be happening in 2nd half of a season, not at the end of season

The Teague debacle led us here in my opinion. And I agree, it appears that we rested on our laurels across post season r22

Acres was never that 1 missing piece. Neither was pushing out setterfield and stocker the big moves that would shake up the culture.

Club's approach whether its because of salary cap issues and footy cap issues post r22 wasnt good enough.

Voss will be sacked due to his coaching failures, but also due to the clubs failures off field

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

The selection process does ask where the applicant sees our list is at and where they see football heading. The problem is you need a current coach to know if he is giving you the right answer or not. Coaches can sound impressive to the uninitiated. We had Greg Williams and David Parkin on the panel when Voss was hired, but it's not exactly a modern football representation.

Show the evidence for the mockers on Lyon please.

It was well reported at the time that Lyon had a lengthy meeting with Sayers and at that point he was super keen on the job, as he stated on Footy Classified from memory.

Unfortunately Luke and "some of the board" were not on the same page regarding Ross and thus a new "process" was created, at which time Ross walked away. You can go back and look at media from the time, it was well discussed.

Obviously I've been muzzled about speaking about this further, because it's "archaic" and "pathetic" to share opinions that a lot of us members and fans share... I'll accept that and move on. I'm just very frustrated that again the club that I love, has very likely cocked it all up and it could have very easily been avoided.

Not something that a lot of us wanted to be correct about...

The selection process does ask where the applicant sees our list is at and where they see football heading. The problem is you need a current coach to know if he is giving you the right answer or not. Coaches can sound impressive to the uninitiated. We had Greg Williams and David Parkin on the panel when Voss was hired, but it's not exactly a modern football representation.
I am surprised we dont hear much from Greg Williams. A great player in the 90s but i wonder if he is the right person for the Football Director role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was well reported at the time that Lyon had a lengthy meeting with Sayers and at that point he was super keen on the job, as he stated on Footy Classified from memory.

Unfortunately Luke and "some of the board" were not on the same page regarding Ross and thus a new "process" was created, at which time Ross walked away. You can go back and look at media from the time, it was well discussed.

To pull from a post I made around the time, here are some quotes...

Tom Morris - ...some members of the Carlton board were clouded by a confidential settlement reached with a former staffer over an alleged incident with Lyon at a Fremantle Christmas function. The AFL integrity unit investigated the alleged incident and found there was no wrongdoing on Lyon’s part.

Gerard Healy - [it's] farcical that sections of Carlton would now be impacted by Lyon’s exit from Fremantle, having had two years to learn of the incident before making him a top candidate.

Leigh Matthews - “Whoever is at the top of that football club have got no idea how to run a football club... It’s the people at the top of the football club that are the problem.”

Matthew Lloyd - “Sometimes it’s when the board overplays their role in the footy department, that’s when the club is in trouble.”

Eddie McGuire - “It’s fair to say they approached you [Lyon] and now they’re making you go through a process. That’s not normally the way things go.”

Obviously I've been muzzled about speaking about this further, because it's "archaic" and "pathetic" to share opinions that a lot of us members and fans share... I'll accept that and move on. I'm just very frustrated that again the club that I love, has very likely cocked it all up and it could have very easily been avoided.

Not something that a lot of us wanted to be correct about...
If Voss does indeed go on Monday, its this farce that needs to be discussed

Many credentialed and respected football people called out our "process" and "handling of Lyon" back then.

This is exactly why anyone associated with that period should walk, with the coach.

We dont improve having the same decision makers either split, conflicted or meddling.

We will just rinse and repeat the same cycle.

Seen enough to be convinced that its not all on Voss. He cant help they gave him the job

The list is top 8 quality. It was last year, it is again this year.
We’ve failed in both seasons now and alarmingly, have regressed this year at a rapid rate despite a reasonably healthy playing group.

What makes you think a third year under this Voss’ method will see us improve to a finals berth?

Bolton had a miserable task in coaching the team during a major strip back of senior experience and whose charter was to blood the youngsters.

However, supporters (& the board) need to accept that like Teague, Voss isn’t the man. The club had the right intentions but cocked up the appointment. Again.

The faster we move on and find the right person the better. Just don’t put Diesel or Brad Lloyd in charge of the search.

p.s It’s Dimma or Pyke

How can you say the list is Top 8 quality. I think you are letting two Coleman’s and a Brownlow colour your thinking.
I don’t think many experts would agree with you. I personally think it’s bottom third list. There are some decent individuals, but the mix is wrong. We are seriously lacking speedy centres / wingers, decent kicks, and small forwards. They are essential and no amount of Coleman’s or brownlows can cover it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The gig has become a poisoned chalice. Any new coach would not be tolerated if they advise that a rebuild is necessary.

First up coaches (like a Teague and Bolton) and failed coaches yearning for a second chance (Voss) end up pleading their cases to be appointed and may not have the gall to demand certain things such as nominating their assistants or giving an assessment of the list that is perhaps against the grain. They’re on a hiding to nothing.

If they’re going to sack Voss then the new coach will have to be assertive and have free rein to appoint their own coaching set up.

I’m really at a loss as to what will work. I don’t think we have a shit list. I certainly think we are capable of making finals. I can’t fathom the basic skill errors and dumb decision making which is utterly self destructive and continues to be perpetuated, week in, week out.

We have played more than half of the season’s games to yield 18 points and we’ll be 2.5 wins adrift from 8th spot. I don’t really care if it’s deemed too early but the season is cooked. I see no point sacking him at the bye.

Hearing same. Outside of bigfooty forum. Luke Power to be interim coach is what I heard

Apparently announcement on Sayers Monday..not sure if its coach or PWC

IMO it’s more likely that it’ll be Sayers announcing he is standing down as president due to PwC tax scandal than anything to do with Voss.

How can you say the list is Top 8 quality. I think you are letting two Coleman’s and a Brownlow colour your thinking.
I don’t think many experts would agree with you. I personally think it’s bottom third list. There are some decent individuals, but the mix is wrong. We are seriously lacking speedy centres / wingers, decent kicks, and small forwards. They are essential and no amount of Coleman’s or brownlows can cover it

I’ll add one further point - I think a lot of people assess Carlton based on some flashy quarters last year. Not games, just quarters. In those games we had Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett playing career best footy. This year they have returned to long term trend line. Cripps arguably below long term trend line. It’s convenient to take the high point performance and say “that is us”. However the reality is those moments have been very few and far between and I think it’s wrong to measure the capability of the team on those moments

I think this may be a decent reason why Voss should stay. Nobody will achieve success with this list.

IMO it’s more likely that it’ll be Sayers announcing he is standing down as president due to PwC tax scandal than anything to do with Voss.
I haven’t read the article. But I understand there is something in today’s Australian quoting AFL figures in encouraging Sayers to come forward and say something (anything) about PwC. I’d be surprised if a Sayers press conference is about anything other than this matter. But we shall see.

I haven’t read the article. But I understand there is something in today’s Australian quoting AFL figures in encouraging Sayers to come forward and say something (anything) about PwC. I’d be surprised if a Sayers press conference is about anything other than this matter. But we shall see.
I thought i saw an online article today (cant remember where it was from) re Sayers saying he would cooperate with any investigation of PwC.

Show me the reporting with an actual link

Not you repetitively making up your own campaign material

Take it as an opinion if you like, as I said it was well reported at the time and I get the feeling this will be a circular conversation so I don't really mind. Two of those quotes are from TV likely...

There's a couple of articles that account for 3 of those quotes.

Take it as an opinion if you like, as I said it was well reported at the time and I get the feeling this will be a circular conversation so I don't really mind. Two of those quotes are from TV likely...

There's a couple of articles that account for 3 of those quotes.
Spin merchant. Lyon himself said there was no job for him, but sure go with a "suggestion" from Tom Morris. Keep campaigning on that falsehood. You'll do yourself out of votes.

Spin merchant. Lyon himself said there was no job for him, but sure go with a "suggestion" from Tom Morris. Keep campaigning on that falsehood. You'll do yourself out of votes.

You want to supply a direct quote and source for that one?

This is a public forum, you don't seem capable of hearing other opinions without getting hysterical and personal but it is going to happen from time to time FYI.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach So you want Voss gone? Who will replace him and why would they want to coach Carlton?

Back