Rumour Some assistant coach names appearing for Port's top job

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to the 3AW commentary team before this arvo's final - Dennis Cometti, Matthew Richardson, Leigh Matthews and Mike Sheahan - they discussed the Port coaching position. Sheahan thought Primus's caretaker role should be enough to get him over the line, but this was dismissed by Matthews and Richardson.

They thought it was not unusual for a team to get itself up for seven matches under a different coach and that it should only count as a small tick in Primus's favour. They thought it was all about the process identifying the best candidate, altho they all thought the Port board would be looking for a break from the Williams era. Richardson mentioned Richmond appointing Gieschen on the back of a successful caretaker role and not following up the due process.

Cometti repeated that he had heard Chris Scott's stocks have risen recently, and his presentation was very good and relaxed, as if he had done it before. He then speculated maybe it was Brad who gave the presentation. He mentioned Gerard Healy strongly believed Port would make a break from the Williams era.

Watching Freo today made me hope that if Scott gets the job he brings across their philosophy of genuinely entrusting good young players with key roles throughout the season, and squeezing out the average list cloggers.

Channel 7 extracted Russel eberts comments on KG and the General.

Was very suprised, Russel said we didn't need outsiders and entrusted the Port system and that he would consider walking away if Scott got it.

also made reference if we got Scott how he would rip anyones arm off! That's one observation I like of Scott which is very Port, he will take no prisoners to succeed.

Was very suprised, Russel said we didn't need outsiders and entrusted the Port system and that he would consider walking away if Scott got it.

also made reference if we got Scott how he would rip anyones arm off! That's one observation I like of Scott which is very Port, he will take no prisoners to succeed.

Well, as much as i hate to say it, seeya Russ! :( I for one seriouslt advocate the bringing in of new/fresh blood if they present a seriously good option.

I dislike the way we appear to be being media managed by the club yet again, into agreeing with a future appointment, with board member Bruce Abernethy introducing the cut.

I want to rip someone's arm off.

Maybe Russ is concerned for Brett's future if Scott became head coach. I don't feel the need to appoint someone from outside the club. I just want the best possible candidate chosen on their credentials and not on who they have/haven't worked with in the past.

Sometimes you can get a feel that someone has the goods to be a great coach. I have that with Brad Scott, or is it Chris Scott? they are so confusing :)

If one coach is doing well and the other struggling, I wonder if they woudl swap roles for a week to give the brother a break?

Is Russ officially employed by the Club? If so, he should be told to shut his trap!

guys i cringed when i saw russ say that!!! out of line.... if primus is the best for the port job i have no issue if its scott i thats fine. needs to be the best available. i like the idea of someone from outside the club , what russ said made me want a coach from outside even more.. with russ opinion port will close down in a few years bec he wants everything in house!!and obviously we arnt getting the supporters . we need to broadern are appeal to NOT JUST PORT SUPPORTERS RUSS i was dissapointed with his comments from a legend!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope Russ doesnt turn into one of those crusty old negative legends.

Perhaps he has a strong opinion on it because he has seen Primus at training for many years now, but its still awkward.

I just saw it on channel 601 on foxtel.
Ebert wants Primus as coach because he feels Primus is the complete package
and the best thing for the club.He did look like a tool imo lol
he reckons we dont need outside influence blah blah blah.Sounds like an old hage lol
no offence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Primus has it in the bag.

It's the easy decision for the board, the fact that he knows our list more closely than an outsider give credence to him being the better candidate, and he's a port boy which is the easy way out to appease people.

Would like an outsider myself, but our board has no ballsack.

Time will tell, but it sounds like a couple of Port people (Abba and Herb) should know better than to project their views / interpretations publicly when we are trying to win back some respect as a professional organisation. If Scott does get the job, then it's fair to say that Russell may not be asked to stay involved with the club after he goes on record making those comments.

Russell Ebert with close to 500 games in all, been at a few clubs would be in the know about packages. If he states Primus is the complete package then believe him. I believe him and respect his opinion. Go Primus and keep the good work up Ebert.

My SP bookie is giving me

scott 15/10

primus 2/1

richardson 3/1

neeld 8/1

any other candidate 10/1

The other candidate odds look good now that Hawthorn are out of the premiership race. Wasn't there a statement made by the club that there is a fifth candidate who could not be named because his club is in the finals? If so could that coach be Clarkson? I am hoping Kennett will have another go at their coaching department again to piss Clarkson off. IMHO, he will be the ideal appointment.

Russell Ebert with close to 500 games in all, been at a few clubs would be in the know about packages. If he states Primus is the complete package then believe him.
I remember when he said much the same thing about Balraj Singh.

Russell Ebert with close to 500 games in all, been at a few clubs would be in the know about packages. If he states Primus is the complete package then believe him. I believe him and respect his opinion. Go Primus and keep the good work up Ebert.

Ebert is arguably the club's greatest player but he was not a successful coach. He has no right to blackmail the club by stating he will walk away if it does not appoint Primus. The club has a process in place and he should respect that and stay out of it, at least publically.

I for one am with Ebert, we must not let Primus win his certain flags with another club. Bookmark it if you have to. Primus is our man. Just because Scott isn't at our club doesn't mean he is fresher with more ideas or anything like that.

So disrespectful implying his comments are so whack that he could become an old fart lost with the old Magpies times or whatever.

Whats just as disrespectful is Ebert completely dismissing Chris Scott as an option, despite not having been part of the selection process, on the basis that `he'll rip your arm off' and do we want that.

Russ is in the media now, and if he wants to try playing kingmaker to the Port coaching position, then he is as answerable to the public as any other knob with an opinion.

NOTE: I am not claiming that I am being respectful either.

DO NOT WANT CLARKSON.

Hawks have been massive underachievers in 2009 and 2010 under Clarkson, and his game day coaching, tactical and media performances are as poor as Choco's have been over that same time. His comments in the press conference following yesterday's loss were pathetic.

No thanks.

DO NOT WANT CLARKSON.

Hawks have been massive underachievers in 2009 and 2010 under Clarkson, and his game day coaching, tactical and media performances are as poor as Choco's have been over that same time. His comments in the press conference following yesterday's loss were pathetic.

No thanks.

After yesterday I agree.

Sounded like a spoilt brat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back