Song Contest Part XVIII, Host: eth-dog, Theme: Worldvision, Votes Due: Sunday 11pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original of that came up on Rage the other day. It's bloody good.
I don't know of the Rage discussion, but I just did some reading. I hope the interwebs aren't letting me down here....

So the Talk Talk guy did it as a push back at his record label, wanted to do things his own way. But the No doubt part....

"No Doubt was on a slight break as Gwen was recording here debut solo album, but they wanted to get some material out so they thought of putting out a greatest hits album. They wanted to a new song on it, but didn’t want to take time to write a new song. So they narrowed the prospects of 100’s of songs down to “It’s My Life” and the INXS song “Don’t Change”…

I am both intrigued and horrified at the possibilities of what they would do to Don't Change.

Lilith was pretty useless.
I don't know of the Rage discussion, but I just did some reading. I hope the interwebs aren't letting me down here....

So the Talk Talk guy did it as a push back at his record label, wanted to do things his own way. But the No doubt part....

"No Doubt was on a slight break as Gwen was recording here debut solo album, but they wanted to get some material out so they thought of putting out a greatest hits album. They wanted to a new song on it, but didn’t want to take time to write a new song. So they narrowed the prospects of 100’s of songs down to “It’s My Life” and the INXS song “Don’t Change”…

I am both intrigued and horrified at the possibilities of what they would do to Don't Change.

Meh. Don't Change is a crap song anyway. (And I'm an INXS fan. I just think it's the weakest of their well-known songs.)

Are we pretending that the Lead Belly version didn't exist?

Apparently so.

This is what happens when you do a cursory glance at wikipedia for a nom that is 10 minutes late and see "Cover of Ram Jam (1977).

With apologies to Mr. Belly's family and the integrity of the song contest, I'm going to allow it to stay in for the following reasons.

Votes are already trickling in.
Its technically a cover of the '77 version.
It won't win and
I'm the host and am too lazy to do anything else about.

Last edited:

Not really a discussion, just was on Rage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's gonna take a monumental pile of steaming turd to make me not billy Disturbed. Even just seeing the screenshot makes me want to dry retch.

Now watch it get triple the votes of my nom.
Do not understand the hate.
Loved it when it came out and still do.

Paul Simon rates it (although royalties...)

Do not understand the hate.
Loved it when it came out and still do.

Paul Simon rates it (although royalties...)
I'm not sure Paul Simon even cares about royalties at this point haha. I just find the whole thing completely overblown and the bombast ruins all of the subtlety of the original, masking it instead with faux sincerity and po-faced earnestness. And the path of heavy bands (well, not even just heavy bands really) releasing something more emotional and musically stark as evidence of their maturing later in their career is incredibly well-trodden to the point of becoming a trope now. The guy can obviously sing, but I don't enjoy his vocal delivery at all and the choices he makes to change the melody in an effort to make the song more his own are both uninspired and uninspiring.

But I actually enjoyed the live version slightly more than I expected (I shouldn't need to add that my expectations were spectacularly low though) and I didn't end up Billying it. As it turns out, the Song Contest was able to produce a monumental pile of steaming turd after all ...

I'm not sure Paul Simon even cares about royalties at this point haha. I just find the whole thing completely overblown and the bombast ruins all of the subtlety of the original, masking it instead with faux sincerity and po-faced earnestness. And the path of heavy bands (well, not even just heavy bands really) releasing something more emotional and musically stark as evidence of their maturing later in their career is incredibly well-trodden to the point of becoming a trope now. The guy can obviously sing, but I don't enjoy his vocal delivery at all and the choices he makes to change the melody in an effort to make the song more his own are both uninspired and uninspiring.

But I actually enjoyed the live version slightly more than I expected (I shouldn't need to add that my expectations were spectacularly low though) and I didn't end up Billying it. As it turns out, the Song Contest was able to produce a monumental pile of steaming turd after all ...
Never doubt either the ability of the contest to produce a steaming turd nor a songwriters lifelong hunger for royalties.

Fair enough that the cover isn't your thing.
I too find the pathos a touch over the top but I think it was done as much to respect the lyrics as anything else, subtlety is not something metal artists have in spades.
Paul Simon is arguably the greatest living musician and I think any artist covering him should err on the side of reverence.

I assure you David Draiman and the band have had no issue penning a soft soulful track. They've done it many times before they covered Paul Simon.

I miss back one out. Nobody could do a good song contest melt like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back