Song Contest Part XXII, Host: Lunchlady Doris, Theme: Best of 2024 (Jan-Jun), Noms Due: Monday 9pm AEST Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I just asked Dad to send me a song. Turns out it's pretty good. Was also shocked when he said he's been listening to the Black Keys and Lady Gaga. I didn't know his range stretched into the 21st Centaury lol.
Hahaha love it!
My Dad really likes Coldplay :) I remember him blasting "Clocks' when we used to have parties at home lol.
My Mum is a bit more into the music I like - she also enjoys Empire Of The Sun, Cut Copy, The Rapture...

Kamahl's lyrics are quite profound, when you think of the era

One hundred children, brave boys and girls
They come from nations all over the world
One hundred children marching along
One hundred children singing their song
Don't blow up the world, don't kill all the flowers
Today this is your world, tomorrow it's ours
Leave us pure water and forest uncut
Think of tomorrow, leave something for us

Your god may be dead but ours is alive
We think without him we cannot survive
Punish all the bad men, praise all the good
Talk to your neighbors about brotherhood
This is the song i was singing one night
While i was thinking of wrong and of right
I thought of good things that still could be done
The marchers now number one hundred and one

My dad was 17 when he moved to Australia. He found work on a farm in 'the middle of nowhere' in a town called Morawa. I loved his stories about how he whacked on a pair of footy boots and started playing on the double gee infested ovals, which is where he met my mum's brother and they were introduced. His English wasn't great, until the day he died, but he had no trouble telling the umpires what he thought!

They were both crazy into AFL. We followed East Freo/The Sharks and never missed a game. Mum's friends included the famous Con Regan and Jim Conway. Doug Green's sister was our baby sitter (for those old enough to remember this East Freo captain). Thursday nights were always footy training at East Freo Oval, followed by dinner at the club. AFL was our religion!

Mum's final years were a struggle as she had dementia, but she always recognised my son and her beloved Pav. We buried her in all her Freo gear.

This round was tough, but am glad it's given me an opportunity to reflect on the couple who inflicted this crazy love of footy on to me :)
Love this story! 😍 Sounds like a very impressionable childhood.
Where was your Dad born? :)
My partner's parents are both from Southern Italy. Neither are much into the football though (although his aunts are all into Collingwood lol).
My Dad was born in Leicester, England. He emigrated to Australia in the early 80s and married my Mum. When the Crows were created he adopted them as his team straight away 😊 and yeah he still loves his Leicester City FC too :p

Kamahl's lyrics are quite profound, when you think of the era

Don't blow up the world, don't kill all the flowers
Today this is your world, tomorrow it's ours
Leave us pure water and forest uncut
Think of tomorrow, leave something for us

Your god may be dead but ours is alive
We think without him we cannot survive
Punish all the bad men, praise all the good
Talk to your neighbors about brotherhood
This is the song i was singing one night
While i was thinking of wrong and of right
I thought of good things that still could be done
The marchers now number one hundred and one
Makes me think of "Earth Song" by Michael Jackson :)

Love this story! 😍 Sounds like a very impressionable childhood.
Where was your Dad born? :)
My partner's parents are both from Southern Italy. Neither are much into the football though (although his aunts are all into Collingwood lol).
My Dad was born in Leicester, England. He emigrated to Australia in the early 80s and married my Mum. When the Crows were created he adopted them as his team straight away 😊 and yeah he still loves his Leicester City FC too :p
Dad was from The Seychelles and mum was of Irish decent. They had a very trying marriage because of dad's constant homesickness and their cultural differences. I really believe they would have had a much better experience with today's technology and more accessible flights etc. There's still no easy way to get there.

Dad was from The Seychelles and mum was of Irish decent. They had a very trying marriage because of dad's constant homesickness and their cultural differences. I really believe they would have had a much better experience with today's technology and more accessible flights etc. There's still no easy way to get there.
Aww yeah I can't even imagine. I'm guessing you'd have to go to India or East Africa first and then to the islands 🤔
Did your dad speak French?

Aww yeah I can't even imagine. I'm guessing you'd have to go to India or East Africa first and then to the islands 🤔
Did your dad speak French?
You had to years ago, but now there are daly flights from Dubai because the UAE have invested a lot of capital (which has been good and bad). My French is very lacking, but I've been really getting into Danish :)

We're up to Ben Hudson 15
Let's go for a Matthew Croft 16 !!

1719566202596.png

Hahaha love it!
My Dad really likes Coldplay :) I remember him blasting "Clocks' when we used to have parties at home lol.
My Mum is a bit more into the music I like - she also enjoys Empire Of The Sun, Cut Copy, The Rapture...
Contrary to the stigmatism against Coldplay I think they're perfectly fine. Either "A Sky Full of Stars" or "Viva La Vida" would be my fav tune.

Only heard, and enjoy, the hits of EotS and Cut Copy. Never heard of the Rapture so I've got some more listening to do yay!

Dad's picked something from his favourite genre which is nice because it's the only genre of music we've seen together live.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I picked one of my Mum's favourite songs from one of her favourite bands. I grew up listening to them and then really got into them as a teenager. Mum and I saw this band live in Melbourne literally just before the borders closed on us during covid. One of the best concerts I've ever been to (and Cut Copy were the support act which was even better).

Just over 3hours to get the folks into Trance music. Have my work cut out.
young thug trash GIF by Kasland
MP_ likes this post

Remove this Banner Ad

Back