Song Contest Part XXII, Host: Lunchlady Doris, Theme: 2024 (Jan-Jun), Votes Due: Wednesday 9pm AEST Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you remember what kind of music they liked and introduced you to? :) or even some songs you liked in your youth that they also liked?
I had a dream about them last night and can't get them out of my mind today, which is good and bad - too many triggers for me this round, but I will be back!

my fav genres are black and death metal, then In Flames for heavy prog type Metal. Ive lost interest in commercial metal but parkway drive still hit well.

Both mum and dad like Winehouse and dad loves Richter like son.

Dad was and is mostly into experimental rock, black sabbath lee michaels, jan Hammer, P.F. L.Z, santana, Hawkwind, Uriah Heap, Peter Gabriel, jean michael jarre
Mungo jerry, bob dylan, neil Young, Cat Stevens, deep Purple, Eric Clapton.

I lean more towards heavy rock than a lot of the popular metal bands.

You won't have a shortage of choices with your Dad's musical taste.

I don't remember my father once ever putting music on just to enjoy music. He's tone deaf. When pressed he would say Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Glenn Campbell, and ABBA are his favorites, but he would barely know song titles let alone own any albums that weren't bought for him.

Mum on the other hand always had some music playing somewhere. She owns quite a collection of original vinyl albums and singles, boxes of cassettes, and shelves full of CD's. She was more into Top 40, easy listening, and love songs. Michael Bolton, Celine Dion types. Though she did nudge into classic rock and hard rock territory on occasion.

Thanks to Mum I do have some options!

You won't have a shortage of choices with your Dad's musical taste.

I don't remember my father once ever putting music on just to enjoy music. He's tone deaf. When pressed he would say Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Glenn Campbell, and ABBA are his favorites, but he would barely know song titles let alone own any albums that weren't bought for him.

Mum on the other hand always had some music playing somewhere. She owns quite a collection of original vinyl albums and singles, boxes of cassettes, and shelves full of CD's. She was more into Top 40, easy listening, and love songs. Michael Bolton, Celine Dion types. Though she did nudge into classic rock and hard rock territory on occasion.

Thanks to Mum I do have some options!
my dad was from the Seychelles and we all detested his music lol

Looking forward to hearing from

FreoGirl

Dinsdale

myblueroan

Stokey

You've been so kind and respectful, I'm going to submit a song that reminds me of both of my parents. This is going to be a sensitive round for those whose parents are alive or deceased, or even ones people have strained relationships with their parents. I guess we need to understand we are all picking songs on behalf of our parents, and they could be really crap (but not something we like ourselves)

Just over 3hours to get the folks into Trance music. Have my work cut out.
young thug trash GIF by Kasland

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've been so kind and respectful, I'm going to submit a song that reminds me of both of my parents. This is going to be a sensitive round for those whose parents are alive or deceased, or even ones people have strained relationships with their parents. I guess we need to understand we are all picking songs on behalf of our parents, and they could be really crap (but not something we like ourselves)
Good on you FG and as you pointed out in our PM, it would not be good for some to have a song their parents loved given the dreaded 'Billy' so for this round

NO BILLIES

:rainbow:

I just asked Dad to send me a song. Turns out it's pretty good. Was also shocked when he said he's been listening to the Black Keys and Lady Gaga. I didn't know his range stretched into the 21st Centaury lol.

I just asked Dad to send me a song. Turns out it's pretty good. Was also shocked when he said he's been listening to the Black Keys and Lady Gaga. I didn't know his range stretched into the 21st Centaury lol.
That was going to be a round I was going to host. Phone a friend for a song.

I had a dream about them last night and can't get them out of my mind today, which is good and bad - too many triggers for me this round, but I will be back!
* Insert Facebook care emoji here*
Understand ❤️
See you next round, we will tag you in :)

Edit, just saw your other comment, glad to hear you'll be submitting one 😊

My dad was 17 when he moved to Australia. He found work on a farm in 'the middle of nowhere' in a town called Morawa. I loved his stories about how he whacked on a pair of footy boots and started playing on the double gee infested ovals, which is where he met my mum's brother and they were introduced. His English wasn't great, until the day he died, but he had no trouble telling the umpires what he thought!

They were both crazy into AFL. We followed East Freo/The Sharks and never missed a game. Mum's friends included the famous Con Regan and Jim Conway. Doug Green's sister was our baby sitter (for those old enough to remember this East Freo captain). Thursday nights were always footy training at East Freo Oval, followed by dinner at the club. AFL was our religion!

Mum's final years were a struggle as she had dementia, but she always recognised my son and her beloved Pav. We buried her in all her Freo gear.

This round was tough, but am glad it's given me an opportunity to reflect on the couple who inflicted this crazy love of footy on to me :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back