Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Should we not judge him on his career - 20 years? Rather than a (very) small amount of recent success this year.
Cannot underestimate the effects of the drug scandal on our club, as well as the instability throughout the board. Wasn't all a list management issue. Keep in mind the first rounders that were stripped off us who would be entering their prime right now too.

Cannot underestimate the effects of the drug scandal on our club, as well as the instability throughout the board. Wasn't all a list management issue. Keep in mind the first rounders that were stripped off us who would be entering their prime right now too.
Dodo was around in his role for 15 years prior to the saga. We were already in a 8-9 year finals drought when the saga hit.

I think and hope Dero is being sarcastic.
Adrian dodoro will be available to anyone once and if he leaves essendon.
I sincerely hope it was sarcasm.

It is great to see this team having a little bit of success but I still feel our list has big gaps and overall he has failed to produce a quality, balanced list in 20 years.

We are still lacking pace, small forwards, contested key forward, ruck (s), and our only #1 pick is playing back pocket. I'm not starting a war on McGrath, I'm just stating where we are at. 20 years without producing a finals winning list... is beyond frustrating.

If rumours are to be believed.. we picked up McKay and Goldy because of Scotts personal recommendation and connections. Considering they have been two of our most important players in recent success says a lot.

I think Duds can be rightly congratulated for the Merrett selection (although apparently Jackson had a lot to say on this/club was keen to retain his services).. and he has nailed MSD with Durham and Martin.

If Scott does get success with this group then potentially you revisit the Dud era with a different lens of how much is coaching, development etc etc. What I would say is that very few of our rejects have gone on to be hugely successful at other clubs.. so it isn't like we picked the eyes out of the talent only to watch them walk away (then Brisbane with Beams, Treloar and GWS (insert heaps) etc).

We have missed on several really high draft picks and that has hurt. Our list has always been unbalanced during his time. Whilst he may think he is a 'savvy' trader.. the fact that other clubs hated him and refused to deal with him actually hurt us a lot. The handling of Joe Daniher is just one example.. there were plenty of others.

Anyway he is gone and we can move on but no amount of success with this group will make me think we didn't waste 20 years with this guy in charge of recruiting.

Dodo was around in his role for 15 years prior to the saga. We were already in a 8-9 year finals drought when the saga hit.
And he had brought in several AA players at that point including Hurley, Hooker, Ryder, Watson (F/S), Heppell, and a few others I'm forgetting. I'm not saying he's blameless but we had a very good list at that time.

And he had brought in several AA players at that point including Hurley, Hooker, Ryder, Watson (F/S), Heppell, and a few others I'm forgetting. I'm not saying he's blameless but we had a very good list at that time.
We literally have one of the worst AA records of any team and if you did the calculation in 2013 our record would have been abysmal. Also Watson as a father son can’t be used as an example of good recruiting.

We literally have one of the worst AA records of any team and if you did the calculation in 2013 our record would have been abysmal. Also Watson as a father son can’t be used as an example of good recruiting.
Okay, he can do no right.

He's mediocre. Not brilliant, not terrible, but the lower half of average.

Well that’s your opinion. I believe he’s been a bit worse than that. I also think the club should aim higher than someone who is just lower/average.
I don't disagree.

Well that’s your opinion. I believe he’s been a bit worse than that. I also think the club should aim higher than someone who is just lower/average.
I think that is where most of my angst comes from. At best he is 'average'.. at worst he was actively bad. The real crime is allowing him to keep his job for 20 years despite the lack of success. it is just absolutely unheard of.

Was just another example of how much our club had fallen behind others in our professionalism. The fact that we rated this guy like Stephen Wells is a disgrace. Wells builds 3-4 premiership capable (and delivered!) lists over a 10 year span and we still don't win a final and not once did we try to get rid of duds?

Anyway beyond comprehension how we allowed an 'average to below average' recruiter keep his job unchecked for 20 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

when does he finish up as gm list management, and is there a gap before he takes on the role of Vice President of list management?
He already has. Rosa has the title of AFL talent and operations manager. Pretty sure Dodoro has more a part time role working the ins and outs of the contracts being offered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back