South Africa Vs West Indies (3 Tests, 3 T20s, 5 ODIs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bishop: I'd like to see Samuels take on some responsibility and bat deep into this innings.

Next ball he runs at Imran Tahir, throws the head back and gets caught at long off.

5-53 and Andre Russell at the crease with Carter, who actually looks like he wants to be there

This is painful to watch, would be surprised if the Windies make it out of the group stage at the World Cup. Ireland must be licking their lips at the prospect of a likely entry into the quarter finals. The Windies are going to need huge tournaments from Gayle, Samuels, Narine and Roach to be any chance of winning anything.

Philander and Tahir really coming on as white ball bowlers is huge for South Africa. If they don't win this thing in very similar conditions to what they get at home, they'll never will a World Cup.

In which case the bigger countries might then try to make their way back into Test cricket anyway.

Don't know what they'd do with the first class competition though.

I'd imagine if the West Indies broke up - we would get two tiers of test teams.

The main seven on one.

Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Ireland, Barbados, Jamaica, Trinidad, Afghanistan and Guyana on the other.

Where that leaves Antigua, St Kitts etc is unknown

West Indies have barely enough talent to fill one side at the moment, let alone 4

Not entirely true, it's just that there's a lot of players that are about on par with each other.

A T&T side:

Barath
Simmons
DM Bravo
K Pollard
DJ Bravo
Ramdin+*
Emrit
Narine
Rampaul
Jaggernauth
Gabriel

A bit light batting wise, but all have played international cricket.

Actually, I can do it for all four nations

Jamaica

W Hinds
Gayle
Nash
Samuels
Lambert*
Russell
Baugh+
Taylor
Powell
Lawson
Miller

Guyana

Chattergoon
Fudadin*
Chanderpaul
Sarwan
Johnson
Dowlin
Deonarine
Christian+
E Crandon
Bishoo
Bess

Barbados

Smith
K Braithwaite
K Edwards
Carter
R Hinds
Browne+
C Braithwaite
Benn
Holder
Roach
Edwards

Of those I think Guyana is the only one who would not hold their own at international level because their bowling is terrible. Barbados actually has an excess of Test quality bowlers. But the upside for all teams is that national pride start to come into it.

Last edited:
I'd imagine if the West Indies broke up - we would get two tiers of test teams.

The main seven on one.

Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Ireland, Barbados, Jamaica, Trinidad, Afghanistan and Guyana on the other.

Where that leaves Antigua, St Kitts etc is unknown
Don't think that would work frankly. Strong doubts would have to be raised about their ability to remain financially viable. There's already concerns over that with the combined windies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would actually save them money
and are the players going to play for free? These players would likely turn to making the big bucks in t20 and ignore playing even more so meaningless tests. Barbados vs Ireland is just not enticing at all.

Don't see that being enough a motivational factor.

I do. National disputes have been a continual barrier over the years. They were able to use their collective history to work together well when they wanted to beat their old colonial masters, but it's a new world now.

The costs of them running their domestic competition over the islands is huge.

I do. National disputes have been a continual barrier over the years. They were able to use their collective history to work together well when they wanted to beat their old colonial masters, but it's a new world now.

The costs of them running their domestic competition over the islands is huge.
You can't drive from Kingston to Bridgetown, you have to fly everywhere but each time it's to a different country - the cost is massive. Without ICC special assistance they're gone. Gayle plays every innings as if it's a T20, Pollard is possibly more overrated as a cricketer than Maxwell.

Plenty of the individual nations could field sides of international players but not much quality about them.

This is painful to watch, would be surprised if the Windies make it out of the group stage at the World Cup. Ireland must be licking their lips at the prospect of a likely entry into the quarter finals. The Windies are going to need huge tournaments from Gayle, Samuels, Narine and Roach to be any chance of winning anything.

Philander and Tahir really coming on as white ball bowlers is huge for South Africa. If they don't win this thing in very similar conditions to what they get at home, they'll never will a World Cup.

De Kock holds the key for the Saffers chances IMHO.

Remove this Banner Ad

South Africa Vs West Indies (3 Tests, 3 T20s, 5 ODIs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back