South Australian football - where is it at?

Remove this Banner Ad

You Vics need to understand the mentality of the SNAFL and their mantra to be the second best competition in the football universe - it is foremost in their thinking and creates a conflict of interest so obvious to all.

Only as recent as this week did a SNAFL commissioner say that a move for the 2 SA AFL having reserves teams was well down their list in priority.

It's just crazy - the best single move to improve the performances on-field, which in turn will improve the financial results is not going to happen - why? - because it will adversely impact on the standard of the second best competition in the football universe. Any counter to say it is too costly is rubbish - Port already fund a team in the SNAFL so the cost is only to the crows.

And the other issue of having a salary cap that (from memory) is nearly double that of the WAFL - is a whole new argument - if they are there to develop kids for the AFL, then why is the salary cap so big?

Actually its triple

if they are there to develop kids for the AFL, then why is the salary cap so big?

Because they're not?

They're there to win the flag in their own competition, AFL clubs drafting junior talent from them is a secondary consideration. How many have been drafted from the Bulldogs this decade?

Lots of very self interested Port fans here accusing the SANFL of killing them by being self interested :rolleyes:

So you agree that the SANFL are making management decisions that are not in the best interests of the game in South Australia.

Because they're not?

They're there to win the flag in their own competition, AFL clubs drafting junior talent from them is a secondary consideration. How many have been drafted from the Bulldogs this decade?

Lots of very self interested Port fans here accusing the SANFL of killing them by being self interested :rolleyes:
Did you even read the rest of the thread?

So you agree that the SANFL are making management decisions that are not in the best interests of the game in South Australia.

No I do not. What's in the best interests of the Port Power AFL club are not the same thing as the best interests for the sport of Australian Rules Football in SA, a distinction that most Port fans are totally unable to comprehend.

Because they're not?

LOL , the most self interested club in SA history having a crack at us for only caring about the SANFL competition.

Relevance to WAFL salary cap is not there , its like me saying to the AFL how about you halve your club's salary caps because I think you should spend that money on country and metro leagues throughout Australia.... sounds of silence.

Just as the AFL clubs get tv revenue and mega sponsorship dollars because they provide the show, so do the SANFL clubs because they own the stadium and the licences.

The problem is not that the SANFL and SANFL clubs are self interested, that is their right, really the clubs sole purpose is to try and win the SANFL flag, not develop AFL players. From their point of view, they do not compete in the AFL so the hell should they care about the AFL? The problem lies in the fact that as owners of the licences their is a massive conflict of interest. Port and the Crows sole purpose should be to try and win the AFL and do what is their own best interests to do this and this entails using all the resources at their disposal to do so. Under the current structure this is compromised. Why in God's name do South Adelaide for example not only get a say (through the SANFL commission) how Port or the AFC are run, but also profit from it? I understand that this is how it was set up and how it is, but it does not make it right. The tail wags the dog, and the dog, although it is their cash cow is at best treated with disdain, at worst openly despised. Lunacy.
/shitty trolling

LOL , the most self interested club in SA history having a crack at us for only caring about the SANFL competition.

Relevance to WAFL salary cap is not there , its like me saying to the AFL how about you halve your club's salary caps because I think you should spend that money on country and metro leagues throughout Australia.... sounds of silence.

Just as the AFL clubs get tv revenue and mega sponsorship dollars because they provide the show, so do the SANFL clubs because they own the stadium and the licences.

We know that the SANFL own the licenses (even though the two AFL clubs payed for them) and they own the stadium.

The question is SHOULD they own the licenses and the stadium.

Because they're not?

So they take money generated from another competition that they don't want/need to contribute to? Sounds like great logic and smart business acumen.

We know that the SANFL own the licenses (even though the two AFL clubs payed for them) and they own the stadium.

The question is SHOULD they own the licenses and the stadium.

To answer your question:

The two licences should be owned by the Crows and the Power that I agree with , a market value of which they are sold just needs to be established.

The stadium was built by the SANFL, so I don't know how they could not own it.

You think it should be just donated over to the Power and Crows as a sign of Charity and Goodwill?

No I do not. What's in the best interests of the Port Power AFL club are not the same thing as the best interests for the sport of Australian Rules Football in SA, a distinction that most Port fans are totally unable to comprehend.
If this was a Port-only issue, it wouldn't be.

SANFL clubs spending money for 2nd-best premierships and skimping on junior development affects the whole AFL, and importantly it affects the potential footballers in SA that don't get helped out/get the opportunity to maximise their potential.

How about the fans of SA football? Would they prefer to have two AFL teams that can compete evenly in the national competition in front of the country, on TV every week, that they watch in hundreds of thousands? Or would they prefer to keep supporting nine local fiefdoms in their kiddie pool arms race with a vague hope of seeing one of them be match of the day on ABC?

The WAFL clearly have a view that the pinnacle of football in WA is having two high-performing AFL teams. It is equally clear that the SANFL have no such priority, and that its hurting everyone.

To answer your question:

The two licences should be owned by the Crows and the Power that I agree with , a market value of which they are sold just needs to be established.
There's no need, Port have already paid off their license fee with a loan at the time of AFL establishment. Its been an ongoing debt contributing to our current position, but I believe its all paid off now.

The stadium was built by the SANFL, so I don't know how they could not own it.

You think it should be just donated over to the Power and Crows as a sign of Charity and Goodwill?
I think it should be managed by a body that is responsible for the health of SA football in sensible priority, not `bigwigs' at 8 local league clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no need, Port have already paid off their license fee with a loan at the time of AFL establishment. Its been an ongoing debt contributing to our current position, but I believe its all paid off now.

I think it should be managed by a body that is responsible for the health of SA football in sensible priority, not `bigwigs' at 8 local league clubs.

I think you are getting confused between sub-licence which is what the Power has vs the licence which the SANFL has, difference between paying rent and paying a mortgage.

I think my neighbour should take out a second mortgage to renovate my house because it would be an overall benefit to all the other residents on the street.... I don't think so.

I think you are getting confused between sub-licence which is what the Power has vs the licence which the SANFL has, difference between paying rent and paying a mortgage.

I think my neighbour should take out a second mortgage to renovate my house because it would be an overall benefit to all the other residents on the street.... I don't think so.

So the AFL gave the SNAFL the AFL licence for nothing and the SNAFL charged Port $4m for the sub licence - you are being pedantic and playing semantics.

Sure you are.

So anyway, anyone wanting to know whats wrong with SA football, it looks like Woodpecker Warrior is a pretty good example of the divs running things.

Well its not really a problem, because I guess we get to sell the sub-license back at market value.

Seeing as the sub-license originally had the same market value as the full license, and its the same market, value should remain the same. A straight swap seems reasonable.

100% agree. in a couple of years more crows fans will come to see this. presently, they are too satisfied at ports situation that they don't see that we're heading down a similar path. even an improved stadium deal won't result in either sa club being able to spend up like the financial powerhouses do. in a 2 team town they should. but the license owners are more concerned with the "2nd best comp in the country". so the afl clubs are r*ped to achieve that end. glorious.

If only more Crows fans were as smart as you, well done! :thumbsu:

Even the SANFL admitted earlier this year that they will get about $12 million revenue out of Port home games over the next 3 years.

The problem is very, very obvious. Port's administration could work absolute wonder over the next few years, but there will always be that massive slice we will never see.

Lets see the SANFL and their clubs work to their own, non leechfest financial model for a while and see how they go.

Remove this Banner Ad

South Australian football - where is it at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back