Opinion Sponsorship Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

This is true. We will end up with this instead:

2ylcayypc3xkx1skzhrb.jpeg

Website-Photo.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have no sponsor, we are a nufty club and will rely on SNAFL* and AFL handouts for the next 100 years.

*F'en hope the SNAFL aren't still around in 100 years.

Don't want to put us in the depths of Melbourne football club.

I'm more talking within our history.
2014 (i think) with Energy Australia was the same

There's a bunch of Renault front and back sponsor jumpers about the place from this

Don't want to put us in the depths of Melbourne football club.

I'm more talking within our history.
Eh? We have sunk to far greater sponsorship depths than Melbourne in the not too distant past!

2014 (i think) with Energy Australia was the same

There's a bunch of Renault front and back sponsor jumpers about the place from this

Before that there were a bunch of VIP front and back sponsor jumpers made up too.

Renault, Foodbank and Soaring Securities were all announced in March of their respective Joint Major years so we’re pretty familiar the current scenario.

The big difference this time though is that we’re actually going to land a pretty significant deal by the sounds of things, so there is even less to worry about than ever before.

Zeman was in Adelaide late last year definitely after the end of the footy season looking at building a cable car up Mt Lofty to Cleland National Park. I put some stuff about him and the project in the China thread. Port sponsor the Koala in the HK zoo. Lockhart Road put some info up about him after I put the story in the thread.

Apparently Zeman assisted with pushing for China Southern to start flying into Adelaide?

There’s also an article about him in the Australian about how he reckons China is the future for Hong Kong - which is the same article that mentioned him meeting with an advance party from PAFC.

As Slartibartfast says, great things are afoot. The more I read President Xi’s policy reforms, the more I think of that dumb look on Fagan’s face and him saying that they weren’t going to follow Port “down the China rabbit hole”.

Makes me laugh every time.

Apparently Zeman assisted with pushing for China Southern to start flying into Adelaide?

There’s also an article about him in the Australian about how he reckons China is the future for Hong Kong - which is the same article that mentioned him meeting with an advance party from PAFC.

As Slartibartfast says, great things are afoot. The more I read President Xi’s policy reforms, the more I think of that dumb look on Fagan’s face and him saying that they weren’t going to follow Port “down the China rabbit hole”.

That story about Allan Zeman visiting Cleland in November 2017 and talking about a cable car for Mt Lofty, I put in another China thread, started in April 2015 about the ANZAC day - well 30th - to commemorate the centenary of Gallipoli landing function in Hong Kong. In it we gave the Koala from Cleland in HK, a Port pet membership back in 2015. Lockhart Road back in November said we are talking to him. See posts from

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-china-footprint.1095533/page-2#post-53573592

Last edited:

Lets join some dots from John Durie's article in today's Australian. Remember Lockhart Road back in November when I linked that Cleland National Park cable car story said Port were talking to Allan Zeman.

"One of Hong Kong's greats the 90 year old Li Ka-shing announced his retirement last week, but fellow Hongkonger 68 year old billionaire Allan Zeman kept an eye on South Australian election at the weekend to see what it meant for plans for Adelaide's Cleland Wildlife Park." "His son Johnathon is chief executive of Lan Kwai Fong Holdings, the eponymous company that owns the entertainment precinct near Hong Kong's Central station.

...... then talks about his first business in HK in the rag trade.
"In his early trade he met Solly Lew and through him Lindsay Fox, Lloyd Williams and other identities with whom he remains close friends. As he does with former ANZ chief Mike Smith who was his banker in his HSBC days."

Remember it was Mike Smith's ANZ strategy and long term plan to expand ANZ across Asia and part of that strategy, was sending the manager in charge of the ANZ Chinatown branches across Oz, to China for 3 weeks , all expenses paid, to drum Chinese businesses wanting to do business in Oz. In Adelaide's Chinatown branch, it was manager Loretta Lai who met Mr Gui on one of those trips and invited him to a Port game. Lorretta is now Mr Gui's Australian CEO.

"It's a business based on meeting people and Fox is his partner in the proposed Adelaide park. Before this reporter dropped in last week, Zeman also met an advance party from AFL club Port Adelaide."

We know Andrew Hunter was in HK last week and in Shanghai and Hangzhou last week and this week. Who is coming over after the advance party and when?

"But it's China that excites him most as an entrepreneur who figures he used to live in a country of 7.5 million people that now has 1.4 billion. When the $15.9 billion Hong Kong to Zuhai Macau bridge is completed next year the bay area will be 66 million people."

"He has projects underway in four other Chinese cities including Shanghai and while only chairman, he is closely involved in the business, which now runs online television and eGames.

"Whilst bullish on most things, he expressed some disappointment at Hong Kong's ability catch the technology wave China is riding just over the border."

"Zeman is on the board of Jack Ma's company Alibaba so he has seen the changes first hand."

"His long time friend and colleague Carrie Lam has just taken over as chief executive of Hing Kong, and while she has many issues, he hopes technology is one gap she will fill. He sees a concept like a $HK50 billion ($8.3 bn) smart city with the appropriate support as one answer."

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Sponsorship Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back