Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 8 side in 2023 and just beat the top of the ladder side to jump up to 14th in R17 2024 with a 6-10 W/L record and a sub 100 percentage. If that isn't no man's land what is.
Again.... the cold hard win and loss record only tells you certain amount of stats.

Saints lost a few close games this season. Could easily be 10 wins and 6 losses and inside the top 8.

Again.... the cold hard win and loss record only tells you certain amount of stats.

Saints lost a few close games this season. Could easily be 10 wins and 6 losses and inside the top 8.
"Again" what? I haven't read a single reply in this thread, let alone anything you've said.
The title just caught my eye... "no man's land" seemed quite apt in the case of St Kilda as I watched them knock off the top side. Your point that they could be 10/6 supports the reason 'no man's land' resonated with me as being applicable.

Its as if Ross is trolling the competition. Knows they need draft picks to rebuild the list but every now again says I think we should win today and rolls the best team in the comp.

Its as if Ross is trolling the competition. Knows they need draft picks to rebuild the list but every now again says I think we should win today and rolls the best team in the comp.

Ross has forgone wins this season in the name of development. Hell he even chucked a second year raw key forward to CHB mid game to teach him a few things.

Played 5 first year players over better credentialed players.

He’s even got Pou to a new level mid season.

Hypothetical for Saints fans

Crows offer pick 4 for a Phillipou. Would you take it?

Pies offer Band 1 for Battle (pick 6) would you match it?

Could potentially hit the draft with picks 4,5 and 6.

(For the record I'd let Battle go and keep Phillipou).

You would be silly not to take it, i remember essendon got picks 7, 8, 9 in the 2020 draft...

Pou continues to improve and he be will elite. No chance you take it.

Just realised he is 19 and big bodied mid, you are right, absolute keep and build team around.

But since he is from SA, there is always a go home factor and those sa teams have been known to do pouching hush hush.

You would be silly not to take it, i remember essendon got picks 7, 8, 9 in the 2020 draft...

They'd have been better off to draft Archie Perkins, and keep Daniher and keep Saad.
From a list perspective.

( It would have been hard to keep Daniher, and i don't know the circumstance of Saad ).

Just realised he is 19 and big bodied mid, you are right, absolute keep and build team around.

But since he is from SA, there is always a go home factor and those sa teams have been known to do pouching hush hush.

ALWAYS a go home factor?
How many people from Adelaide that no longer live there have you ever met and spoken to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross has forgone wins this season in the name of development. Hell he even chucked a second year raw key forward to CHB mid game to teach him a few things.

Played 5 first year players over better credentialed players.

He’s even got Pou to a new level mid season.
Saints on the way up.

The eight won't be big enough next year to accommodate all these teams on the rise

I did like the Poo's game against the Swans, he's welcome to come home any time he chooses

Remind me, how did that turn out for the great Dodo?

Who cares about him, bombers in top 3 on the top of that draft plus other pick ups...

It's a flaky team but on paper and on performance thus far, not too bad plus brad is good match day coach who can get the most out of a team.

Who cares about him, bombers in top 3 on the top of that draft plus other pick ups...

It's a flaky team but on paper and on performance thus far, not too bad plus brad is good match day coach who can get the most out of a team.

Of the three picks in that draft , Archie is the only standout, and they could have got him without trading anything.

Of the three picks in that draft , Archie is the only standout, and they could have got him without trading anything.

Since im not a bomber person, i think the 3 have been applying themselves by playing a useful role thus allowing players like zach merret to reach AA level.

would be good to get a whole batch of top picks in a roll...

Since im not a bomber person, i think the 3 have been applying themselves by playing a useful role thus allowing players like zach merret to reach AA level.

would be good to get a whole batch of top picks in a roll...

Nik Cox seems to be very good at being 2m tall.
Reid seems to be good at being tall and injured.

Could of won more than one flag. 1965, 1971, 1997, 2004, 2005 , 2009 and 2010.
Spot on

Could easily have 4 or 5 flags in the last 30 years and be one of the most successful clubs of the AFL era.

Saints had winning positions in Grand Finals in 71, 97, 09. In 71 and 09 were in front at 3QT. In 97 in front at HT. And could've won 2010 if not for "the bounce"

Lost the prelim to the eventual premiers in 04 and 05. In front at 3QT in both games.

In my lifetime at least, Saints are more accurately a club who haven't turned up in the biggest moments, rather than an unsuccessful club.

Saints history basically mirrors North Melbourne except North have 4 flags and we have 1.

- Rubbish for first 5 or 6 decades. (North made finals 5 times in their first 49 seasons, Saints 6 in 64).

- Only two successful eras in 100+ years. North Melbourne 1970's and 1990's. Saints Mid 1960's to early 70's. And 2000's (with a 1997 cameo in between).

- North have played finals in 32 seasons with 4 minor premierships. Saints have played finals in 28 seasons with 3 minor premierships.

The differences are:

- North just made the most of their opportunities in the finals in their two golden eras.

- Saints started earlier, with North not joining until 1925.

- Saints have loads more wooden spoons (27 to 15) but 11 of them are from the early 1900's before North joined the comp. Since North joined its Saints 16, North 15.

Basically two clubs who have been consistently bad for 100+ years, with two good eras of 7 or 8 years to break up the rubbish. North have succeeded in the big games and Saints have had a bunch of near misses.

I should add, the Dogs also have more flags than St Kilda, even though the Dogs have only played 4 Grand Finals in their entire existence. Saints played 4 within 13 years not long ago.

Went a bit early there champ.

The thing with this football terrorist is even after a fluke you can wait a week for normal programming to resume.
Dinosaur coach with an outdated, unappealing gameplan. Saints games are unwatchable because of RTB.

Massive kudos needs to go to Bomber, Mick and Clarko for ensuring he remains flagless.
One of the best coaches in the game
He really isn't.
Wouldn't be in the top 8 coaches currently in the game.

In no particular order but ahead of RTB

Scott.C
Longmire
Clarkson
Voss
McRae
Scott.B
Mitchell
Fagan

Could of won more than one flag. 1965, 1971, 1997, 2004, 2005 , 2009 and 2010.

Had saints held on and won that 2005 preliminary final and beat west coast in that 2005 grand final, I don't think Ross Lyon would be coaching the saints in 2007.
04 is a stretch.
Both the Saints and cats were up and coming teams at the time, but were both well off Port and Brisbane.

Brisbane smacked Saints by 13 goals in the QF. Port smashed us by 9 goals.
Both had close PF wins against the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back