"St Kilda needs to sack Scott Watters immediately" Mark Fine Sen

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before you go patting yourself and your club on the back you've had access to much better draft picks than we've had the past 10 years so naturally you've recruited better quality younger players and the few decent younger players we recruited like Steven, Armitage and Geary were overlooked by Lyon in favour of plodders like McQualter, Eddy and Raph Clarke.

He was also largely responsible for trading a first round pick for Lovett and Ball walking out for nothing.

Happy to pat the club and its management on the back. Why not?

We clearly have a different model to what the Saints had. From the outside it seems you had developed a culture of coach as god, controlling all facets of the club. It seems to be very clear at the Dockers that Lyon will not have the power to control recruitment and trades. of course he will have an input, but.... that is fine.

And you can talk about your plodders getting games, but they successfully got you within a bees-dick of a flag.

We clearly have a different model to what the Saints had. From the outside it seems you had developed a culture of coach as god, controlling all facets of the club. It seems to be very clear at the Dockers that Lyon will not have the power to control recruitment and trades. of course he will have an input, but.... that is fine.

And you can talk about your plodders getting games, but they successfully got you within a bees-dick of a flag.

Unless you have intimate knowledge of the inner workings of both the St Kilda and Fremantle Football Clubs, you have absolutely no business commenting on the "culture" of either.

Why can't Dockers fans be happy that they have a fantastic coach that can finally give them a sniff of something resembling success instead of constantly and needlessly rushing to his defense all the time?

Not every thread about St Kildas current situation needs to be hijacked by the cult of Lyon.

Mark Fine is a knob. Watter's seems really solid and obviously has a long term plan for the club's success. He obviously hates losing so to see him look at taking the hard route over short term goals can only be seen as a positive.

They have easily the worst list in the AFL and will be terrible for the next few years, but most of the damage was done before Watters got there.

Still no one would suggest he is a great coach

It looks like he is prepared to rebuild the list the hard way, which should be appreciated.

I think he needs Pelchen to do him a big favour this year, and to find 2 good mature age players especially if the trades away Dal Santo.

It was our top end players like Hayes, Goddard, Riewoldt and Fisher that got us close to a flag rather than our plodders like McQualter, Eddy and Raph Clarke. It was our weaker bottom 3 or 4 players that was probably the difference between us and Geelong and Collingwood in those GFs, they had a more even spread of talent.

Lyon also didn't have total control over recruiting and trades at St Kilda, we had recruiting staff back then too, but he obviously had input into recruitment and trades like most coaches. He probably had too much input though.

Something I forgot to mention in an earlier post but:

If Fine says all will reveal itself in due to course re; Watters why can't he reveal it now? He's meant to be a journalist (or someone on that station is meant to be), why don't they do some research and get some sources and reveal to us these shocking things.

Sounds like the Essendon/Hird situation where they said the truth would be revealed and they'd be in a good place, turned out to be all bullshit.

If Fine says all will reveal itself in due to course re; Watters why can't he reveal it now? He's meant to be a journalist (or someone on that station is meant to be), why don't they do some research and get some sources and reveal to us these shocking things.

Because he is a flog
I have it on good authority. If you knew, what I knew.
The drums are beating at SEN. No one respects Fine. Everyone knows he's out of his depth. Should be sacked.

{geez that is pretty easy}.

he probably doesnt have sources for his claims, his just waiting to get word from his cousin's, sisters, aunt's boy to get a confirmation ;)

I personally think Watters has done an ok job so far - pretty harsh to sack him so early when he is trying to manage a rebuild/transitional period at the club.

Unless you have intimate knowledge of the inner workings of both the St Kilda and Fremantle Football Clubs, you have absolutely no business commenting on the "culture" of either.

I made no comment on St Kilda's culture . Commented on management structures, especially regarding coaching and recruitment.

If you guys continue to blame Lyon then you won't fix what seems to be a structural problem at your club.

Because he is a flog
I have it on good authority. If you knew, what I knew.
The drums are beating at SEN. No one respects Fine. Everyone knows he's out of his depth. Should be sacked.

{geez that is pretty easy}.
I'm surprised you say this. Of all the major broadcasters on the station I find him the most entertaining because he is not afraid of holding controversial opinions.

I made no comment on St Kilda's culture .

So what is this then:

From the outside it seems you had developed a culture of coach as god, controlling all facets of the club.

[/quote]If you guys continue to blame Lyon then you won't fix what seems to be a structural problem at your club.[/quote]

Again, I must come back to my initial point, which is to stop mindlessly defending Lyon and instead inventing words and phrases with which to bash St Kilda. You know nothing of the clubs structures, processes or decision making process. Neither does anyone else, which could be why Lyon cops a lot of the blame. Unfair? Possibly, but walking out on a club with no warning doesn't exactly foster warm and fuzzy feelings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They did beat Fremantle's #22 to #44 ranked players.

They still had Pavlich, Barlow and Sandilands and several other best 22 players, we were also competitive against their full strength team in Perth while missing a number of our best players.

I listened but TBH I am not sure what his argument was for getting rid of Watters apart from saying he disrespected Lyon's legacy and had a crack at the current culture of the club. Both are matters of opinion and don't tell me why he should be sacked.

Finey gave no evidence that e.g. Watters is a crap coach with a crap game plan or can't motivate the players. I normally like Finey for his opinions but I want facts and evidence rater than an emotional outburst. He's obviously got something against Watters and hasn't convinced me he should be sacked.

That might be the case but there a growing number of SAINTS members/supporters who agree with him. WATTERS has had a major falling out with the clubs CEO, the players are unhappy with his game day coaching and approach to the older guys. A lot of us have seen through his media façade and seen that he is just another of Malthouses failed assistants akin to Neeld.

People are simply not buying his bullshyte which has contributed to the club losing 12,000 members in the time he has been at the club.

I wouldn't sack him now, but I would definitely find a replacement for him after next year!

Isn't this shit the reason why 2004 was considered a disaster when your club had been just knocked out in a strong year and there had been ongoing concerns over the Butterss Thomas relationship being to chummy and thus he was too protected? Seriously sounds like a case of Essendon here during the Matty Nights era.

I'm surprised you say this. Of all the major broadcasters on the station I find him the most entertaining because he is not afraid of holding controversial opinions.
The bloke is a flog, he attracts flogs to ring up because that is the demographic. Because of the time he broadcasts, usually these flogs have had a shandy or 2, so their state of being a flog is greatly increased.

So, once these people with diminished states of mind ring up and challenge him, he mounts his high horse of self righteousness and blusters his way through insults like he is some authority of the imbecility he preaches.

In reality, he is the pied piper of flogs, and they flock to him like flies to a pile of shit. That is his role in life.

The bloke is a flog, he attracts flogs to ring up because that is the demographic. Because of the time he broadcasts, usually these flogs have had a shandy or 2, so their state of being a flog is greatly increased.

So, once these people with diminished states of mind ring up and challenge him, he mounts his high horse of self righteousness and blusters his way through insults like he is some authority of the imbecility he preaches.

In reality, he is the pied piper of flogs, and they flock to him like flies to a pile of shit. That is his role in life.
But that's exactly why it's such quality listening

If you focus 100% on winning the flag and don't also plan for the future, that could be considered "wrong". Long term stability sacrificed for short term potential gain is terrible risk management, you would never see a Fortune 500 company do that.

Case in point: the mess we are in now.

'who killed westinghouse' is a good read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back