"St Kilda needs to sack Scott Watters immediately" Mark Fine Sen

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lyon had a crack obviously and got very close, but the list he left was an absolute train wreck.

Yes, and luckily for us too. If they had recruited well and had better player development he may still be there. May well have looked at the Dockers and thought "Thank goodness they have people in place to do that kind of stuff and I can just coach. Where do I sign?"

That might be the case but there a growing number of SAINTS members/supporters who agree with him. WATTERS has had a major falling out with the clubs CEO, the players are unhappy with his game day coaching and approach to the older guys. A lot of us have seen through his media façade and seen that he is just another of Malthouses failed assistants akin to Neeld.

People are simply not buying his bullshyte which has contributed to the club losing 12,000 members in the time he has been at the club.

I wouldn't sack him now, but I would definitely find a replacement for him after next year!
Fairly sure the consensus is quite the opposite on the saints board/social media. When you say 'growing number', you must mean the number has grown from 2 to 5, right?

Finey said more on his show tonight

He said more info will soon come out about what the issue is with Watters from others that are currently inside the Saints
So he's doing the whole 'if you knew what I know, you would be shocked/disgusted etc.' Either put up or shut up, because he's basically just gossip mongering now.

Has lowered himself to the same level he accused Caro and Patrick Smith of stooping to during the Essendon saga.

Pot, meet Kettle...

Fairly sure the consensus is quite the opposite on the saints board/social media. When you say 'growing number', you must mean the number has grown from 2 to 5, right?

Perhaps if you take your head out of Watters backside people like yourself and Defacto might be able to smell the roses. Watters is a 'poisoned dwarf' with no NFI about developing a team environment or running an AFL club,,,

Yes, and luckily for us too. If they had recruited well and had better player development he may still be there. May well have looked at the Dockers and thought "Thank goodness they have people in place to do that kind of stuff and I can just coach. Where do I sign?"

Before you go patting yourself and your club on the back you've had access to much better draft picks than we've had the past 10 years so naturally you've recruited better quality younger players and the few decent younger players we recruited like Steven, Armitage and Geary were overlooked by Lyon in favour of plodders like McQualter, Eddy and Raph Clarke.

He was also largely responsible for trading a first round pick for Lovett and Ball walking out for nothing.

Perhaps if you take your head out of Watters backside people like yourself and Defacto might be able to smell the roses. Watters is a 'poisoned dwarf' with no NFI about developing a team environment or running an AFL club,,,

Unless you have a role in the inner sanctum at St Kilda you'd have NFI what Watters is really like and if you think Watters should be sacked which supercoach waiting in the wings do you suggest we replace him with?

St. Kilda seem to generate a lot of apathy now and no one really questions their onfield direction. Ever since they moved to Seaford, they don't seem like a Melbourne club anymore.

Unless you have a role in the inner sanctum at St Kilda you'd have NFI what Watters is really like and if you think Watters should be sacked which supercoach waiting in the wings do you suggest we replace him with?

You don't have to be part of the inner sanctum to tell when are team are playing for the coach and playing with passion. The team played with passion and fire in one game this year and that was in Round 23, when the were saying good bye to Kosi, Milne, and Blake - not because of anything Watters developed.

For the remainder of the year they were going through the motions.

I am absolutely astounded by the number of completely useless muppets who somehow manage to land cushy, well-paying media gigs. No wonder sports journalism and commentary in this country is a joke. Stop trying to get "gun" players for your media jobs, and start getting ones that actually have some sort of skill at the job!
That just ain't the way we do it in this country.

You don't have to be part of the inner sanctum to tell when are team are playing for the coach and playing with passion. The team played with passion and fire in one game this year and that was in Round 23, when the were saying good bye to Kosi, Milne, and Blake - not because of anything Watters developed.

Bullshit, we had a crack in most games we played this year and played with plenty of passion, it was our skill level, abysmal umpiring and our younger guys running out of legs late in games which cost us more wins.

We took it up to quality top 4 teams like Sydney, Freo (at Subi without Riewoldt, Milne etc) and Hawthorn before fading late in games, we beat Carlton and were competitive against most other teams with several unlucky losses. There was only a few games where we were uncompetitive and that was in the 2nd half of the season when we were hit by injuries and were playing more kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What rubbish. "you don't need evidence to prove a point! Because I'm a magic body language reader and can see in the players movements they don't like the coach."
Funny, riewoldt, Montagna had career best years. Dal played his best all year the last 7 games despite us not being in finals contention.
Kosi admitted not enjoying even playing in grand finals, and Milne (according to Finey) was desperate to play on.
Meanwhile Lenny is going around again.
Sure seems like those senior players hate him.

Well, to Mark Fine's words about Scott Watters,

"So, St Kilda have a not so good season this year, but they will go strong with new players next year and you'll see why that Scott will improves the club next year."

@ Ben Roderick

EPL managers may disagree.

Beat me to it. The English press are absolutely ruthless and make ours look like puppy dogs.

English clubs are far more ruthless than ours too. There was an EPL manager who was sacked 9 days into a season, imagine that happening in the AFL.

Happened to turn on SEN 5 minutes ago only to hear St Kilda diehard Darren Parkin call Watters a disgrace for his speech at the B&F.

Blokes got idea. Watters is doing the exact thing he should be! Saints are in, and were always going into a rebuild stage. Plus they were still competitive this year.

You watch many Saints games? Wouldn't go that far.

You watch many Saints games? Wouldn't go that far.
I watched almost every Saints game this year and I would agree with BluesMan.

We were unlucky not to win at least 3 more games, and only really got properly thrashed once or twice. I maintain I don't particularly like Watters, but there is absolutely no point to pushing the panic button and showing him the door while we are in a rebuilding phase. That has happened several times in the last few decades I've been following the Saints and it has a track record of failing miserably.

They will have enough leadership over the next two or so years but it thins out hardcore after that, you want to get as much next generation talent into the side over the next few years so they can mature before the bulk of the old generation are gone.

They need to keep enough experience there to guide the young kids but the midfield has a lot of old timers in it with Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna and Jones. Dal Santo is the only one that would have any real currency. Trade him or let him go via free agency if the compensation is better, recruit a whole bunch of mids and stick more in the side to learn.

Pretty much how I see it. They are in a good position to rebuild quickly with money to spend, some trading power with Fisher and Dal Santo and low draft picks coming. They have blooded some good young talent over the last 2 years, I am OK with the track they are on.

WTF is happening at SEN these days? First the piss poor views on the essendon scandal and now the watters stuff

They all seem to have the same view, across the same station. Bizarre

I suspect that they are following the NewsCorp flunkies example during the recent Essendon saga, seemed to work out pretty well for them.

As much as I love my sport and AFL in particular 24/7 I just cant abide the low rent vibe of everything SEN.

I watched almost every Saints game this year and I would agree with BluesMan.

We were unlucky not to win at least 3 more games, and only really got properly thrashed once or twice. I maintain I don't particularly like Watters, but there is absolutely no point to pushing the panic button and showing him the door while we are in a rebuilding phase. That has happened several times in the last few decades I've been following the Saints and it has a track record of failing miserably.

Fair enough if the fans are happy, but from an outsiders view (I admit I only watched maybe 6-8 of your matches) you were pretty poor to watch. I hope the Saints start to get up a bit because they are one of the few teams I don't dislike.

They have easily the worst list in the AFL and will be terrible for the next few years, but most of the damage was done before Watters got there.

Still no one would suggest he is a great coach

Fair enough if the fans are happy, but from an outsiders view (I admit I only watched maybe 6-8 of your matches) you were pretty poor to watch. I hope the Saints start to get up a bit because they are one of the few teams I don't dislike.
I 100% agree, at times we look confused, slow and sloppy. I wouldn't exactly say I was happy right now, maybe "not as unhappy as I could be" would be more accurate! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back