Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t be surprised if MacDonald is there at Round 1 and Finn isnt, particularly if Newcombe and Worpel are in the side.

He’s a more balanced mid who uses it well by hand and foot on the outside.

Id love to see Newc, Ward, and Mcdonald all in the round 1 team somehow. What an exciting lead up to that first match it would make for. 3 of our best young mid prospects all getting a game together.

I still think it is way too early to talk about a best 22 or likely round 1 match up - however I can say from all the reports I am very, very, very keen to watch the practice matches. There will be a lot to play for the majority of midfielders - competition for midfield spots is a huge win for the club.
A lot can happen with the praccies. Last year no one even had Kozzie in their round 1 team until he came out against north and kicked 5 or 6. Ends up playing almost every game.

Excuse me if I have missed any mentions, but has Ned Long been showing much?
Is big and competes well, but I have question marks over his disposal.

Is big and competes well, but I have question marks over his disposal.

Yeh, his kicking action (from the videos I’ve seen) looks very ‘mechanical’ or ‘robotic’.

Perhaps that’s why he slipped down to the rookie draft? Hopefully the coaches can smooth it out.

And by all reports he has a tonne of motivation, so he’ll definitely give it his all to improve in this area.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I feel like Newc is flying under the radar atm.

I think the match up I'm looking forward to most in round one is Newc V JHF- that game I can't help but feel is a battle of future titans.
I reckon the round one rising star will be one of Newc, JHF or Ward
What I love hearing about is the Worps/Ward combo - Worps getting his hands on it and dishing it out to Ward.
**** yeah

All sounds accurate. I'll go with MacDonald ahead of Finn though.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Pretty spot on but I think Howe is another of the 'fringe' players who appears a lock for round 1 along with Morrison.

Don’t be surprised if MacDonald is there at Round 1 and Finn isnt, particularly if Newcombe and Worpel are in the side.

He’s a more balanced mid who uses it well by hand and foot on the outside.

Hi guys, thanks so much for your recommended adjustments. I agree with all of them. Please see the updated version below:

Sicily - 100% fit and back in form - definite for Round 1
Gunston - fit and participating in all - working back to form - definite for Round 1
Ruck - Sounds like Lynch is ahead in the battle with Reeves to partner McEvoy.
Morrison and Howe - Sounds like of the picks of the 'fringe' guys and likely to be selected for Round 1.
Young mids - excluding Worpel (who is best 18), the updates seem to suggest that pre-season form, it's: 1. Ward, 2. Newcombe, 3. McDonald , 4.Maginess Everything appears to suggest Ward will be included Round 1 as the best performed "non-established" mid (with perhaps 1-2 more of these a good chance).
Of the key forwards, it appears to be: 1. Lewis, 2. Kozi, 3. Jeka, 4. Callow - which is essentially a continuation of last year so I would expect Lewis and Kozi to get first crack with Gunners back in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand how people keep thinking Morrison is a fringe player. He is a lock best 22.

I'm the OP and I am a Morrison fan. You'll also note I used quotation marks around the term fringe as it is subjective but can also represent different things. In Morrison's case, he can be selected whenever fit and still not necessarily be 'lock best 22', as similar as they sound. To clarify, last season Morrison was picked whenever he was fit and performed well enough to retain his spot. He didn't play any vfl games I don't think, suggesting he was not left out of the side when available to play. That certainly sounds best 22 and effectively, is.

However, at no stage did we have all players to choose from. If everyone is available (which very rarely happens), selecting a 22 is very tough. Some are genuine locks but Morrison is in a group of players you might or might not select in that scenario, making him 'fringe', even if he is regularly chosen in the reality of lists with injured players. He's certainly not a key player that will get chosen no matter what so he is 'fringe' in that sense. His form and performances will play a big factor in his selection, hence him being part of the noteworthy list I mentioned.

Someone like Tom Mitchell or Blake Hardwick will get chosen regardless of their dominance at training - this doesn't apply to Harry.

For example, from the 22 that last played, the only definite outs are: Ceglar, O'brien, Hanrahan and Burgoyne.

Vying for a spot to come in includes: Lynch (for Ceglar), Sicily (for O'Brien) and then you still have Breust, Gunston, Impey, Moore, Jiath, Ward, Newcombe (was med sub), DGB and any other stand out new faces/draftees/etc. That's at least 5-6 more players that would need to be dropped to accommodate those guys. All fully fit, Best 22 is very tricky business and Morrison is amongst those who are not guaranteed a spot.

2021. Newcombe (mid season) Brockman (R1)
2020 Morris (R6) Day (R6)
2019 Worpel (R6) Mirra (R3)
2016 Lovell (R6)
2013 Anderson (R1)
2012 Brad Hill (R4)
2009 Schoenmakers (R1)
2008 Stokes (R1) Rioli (R1)
2006 Birchall (R1)
2005 Franklin (R1) Lewis (R3) Taylor (R3) Roughead (R3)

Players to senior debut within 6 games of being drafted

So in 2022 perhaps two (recent years) or up to 4 (new coach effect)
You missed Bramble '21, our best performed rookie. 10 games, 18 disposals, 429m gained. Had issues so might have played earlier.

You missed Bramble '21, our best performed rookie. 10 games, 18 disposals, 429m gained. Had issues so might have played earlier.
And DGB, who’s debut was probably delayed through injury etc. smithy and Puopolo debut 7 games in too

Hawks have always looked best With 3 genuine outside players. Even after 2021 this still doesn’t seem set, with only bramble looking a certain (if he maintains form)
Had hoped to have seen it settled in 2021

If Morrison is getting regular senior games this year then we haven’t really improved as a side, even considering Morrison’s own improvements
He is a nice player, but VFL is his level
Players don’t peak at 22.

Updates on Imp, Day, Gunners and Sic here.

OK, so this is probably poor form but is anyone who listened to this happy to provide a one line "cliff note" on the updates provided for these players?

Some of us may not be in a position to listen to it.

(If not, I could do so but would need to wait for the weekend when not at work)

If Morrison is getting regular senior games this year then we haven’t really improved as a side, even considering Morrison’s own improvements

You're allowing for him having made improvement, don't you want to see how that plays out in real game time before being entirely sure?
I'm not a big believer myself in his ceiling, but that's based on me judging his best output in the past.
If that best is now his base, and his top output 10% better again - or more, that can look very different on a sporting field.

I feel like a bunch of posters have had this take for a couple years now, but consistently have had to begrudgingly admit to his quality and what he adds to the side when he has inevitably played a strong hand in us winning/been one of our top performers.

Morrison has showed steady improvement over the last two years and was arguably one of our best kicks into 50 last year and has been noted as one of the young leaders within the club.

I feel like a bunch of posters have had this take for a couple years now, but consistently have had to begrudgingly admit to his quality and what he adds to the side when he has inevitably played a strong hand in us winning/been one of our top performers.

Morrison has showed steady improvement over the last two years and was arguably one of our best kicks into 50 last year and has been noted as one of the young leaders within the club.

That might be a little strong as a statement.
Been one of our top performers?
Played a strong hand in us winning?
Hmmm

In 2021 Harry averaged 16 disposals a game, playing 14 matches in total.
His best statistically were 22 disposals in a Rd 4 15pt loss to Freo.
Other high stat games were 20 disposals in a 25pt loss to Richmond and 20 disposals in the R1 1pt win over Essendon.

He got 42 votes in the Crimmo, well below Ceglar, Impey, and O'brien.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back