Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like a bunch of posters have had this take for a couple years now, but consistently have had to begrudgingly admit to his quality and what he adds to the side when he has inevitably played a strong hand in us winning/been one of our top performers.

Morrison has showed steady improvement over the last two years and was arguably one of our best kicks into 50 last year and has been noted as one of the young leaders within the club.
Is this a real thing, though?

I agree that he delivers inside F50m very smartly & is generally a smart user by foot all over the ground.

I think I am falling out of love with this game.
I can't even garner the enthusiasm to care about a season that would normally excite me.
Training the house down? Meh...

Feels a bit sad.

I’m feeling flat as well. Been a rough couple of years for most . Coming out of that haze and getting yourself up has not been that easy . Once the games kick off hopefully it will be the boost you need .

I hope Morrison does well, but remember when we played Melbourne the first time seemed to get bumped off the ball easily but physicality seems to have been a big factor in our preseason so hope that area has improved. If hardness is a crucial area then Howe is one of the first picked

If Morrison is getting regular senior games this year then we haven’t really improved as a side, even considering Morrison’s own improvements
He is a nice player, but VFL is his level

Absolute negative crap. So sick of 'if X is getting games it means we suck' comments that completely discount players improving or being better suited to Sam's new gameplan.

That might be a little strong as a statement.
Been one of our top performers?
Played a strong hand in us winning?
Hmmm

In 2021 Harry averaged 16 disposals a game, playing 14 matches in total.
His best statistically were 22 disposals in a Rd 4 15pt loss to Freo.
Other high stat games were 20 disposals in a 25pt loss to Richmond and 20 disposals in the R1 1pt win over Essendon.

He got 42 votes in the Crimmo, well below Ceglar, Impey, and O'brien.
From all I’ve read he’s a highly rated especially among the young group as a leader.

And you can never accuse him of taking a backwards step.

My concerns are physically he’s not been big enough or quick enough to really get involved. Leading to him being unable to get involved in the game. And he hasn’t shown enough footy IQ to make up for it.

I just see him continuing to struggle against quicker teams. Something we are unable to simulate at training with our slower outside midfielders.

Don’t be surprised if MacDonald is there at Round 1 and Finn isnt, particularly if Newcombe and Worpel are in the side.

He’s a more balanced mid who uses it well by hand and foot on the outside.

I seem to recall that you were a bit smitten with MacDonald early last year when he was posting some impressive numbers. Well done.

Should we be worried at all about Day's fitness/injury/body?

Been a long time since he was injured, and still doesn't seem to be involved in much of the program. Getting the sense Round 1 is a chance to miss?
The biggest disappointment this pre season bar none.

We should just hope he can get a clear run at it at some stage this year. His type of injury gives supporters (and no doubt club medicos) cold sweats.

Well it was a nice dose of Winter out at Waverley this morning. Cloudy, cold, windy and the rain started just as I was leaving.

It was an outstanding session to witness as it was very much all match sim type drills followed by actual match sim in the format of 3 x 15min qtrs, or technically, thirds.

Overall, standout players for me today were Worpel, Macdonald & Newcombe.

SYL has provided some tasty morsels from todays session but here are my observations:

Gold:
McEvoy
Breust
Worpel
Newcombe
Ward
Lynch
Denver
Lewis
Brockman
Jeka
Shiels

Brown:
Reeves
O'Meara
T Mitchell
MacDonald
Magginess
Callow
Kosi
Moore
Philips
Howe
Gunners
Morris
Seamus Mitchell
Morrison

plus some Box Hill Players on each side including Aducci, Blank, Porter Wynd, Philips

Worpel was the dominant mid on the ground. He had more of the ball than anybody and repeatedly just cut a path through opposition mids and generally disposed of the ball nicely. On multiple occasions he combined with Ward at centre bounces with Worpel getting the clearance and dishing off to Ward who was waiting just off the contest. This looks to be a mouth watering combo for the future.

This brings me to Ward who did nothing to dampen our collective enthusiasm re. his potential. Composure, skill, work rate. Josh has it all. Time and again he would dispose of the ball at half back or in the middle and then be at half forward ready to get involved again. His disposal is top notch and he never panics.

Macdonald, like Ward, doesn't seem to have any really noticeable deficiencies as a player. His disposal over all distances is verging on elite. I reckon he earned more frees that anybody today and it was due to his tackling and pressure. He is a very smooth mover and like Ward, has bucket loads of composure. It's crazy that these two blokes are just 18 years old.

Newcombe was dominant. He was on the gold team along with Worpel and Ward and the three of them were all over Tom Mitchell, Jaegar and Maginnes. Newcombe was only just behind Worpel in terms of his ball winning and was pivotal in many of the attacking plays for the gold team. He tackled like a mad man but what I really liked about Newk's game was the way that he never rushed his disposal. He would draw the opposition player to him to open up space before disposing. He is a round 1 lock for me.

The ruck battle was interesting and should give us all reason to be hopeful. Big Boy and Lynch were on the gold team rucking against Reeves on the brown team. Lynch rucked really well and probably beat Reeves overall, that being said Reeves had some good moments against both Lynch and Big Boy. A few nice taps from reeves to the likes of Macdonald and Maginess. Reeves also took a great juggling contested mark in the forward 50 and then slooted the goal. Lynch was good all over the ground and seemed to have a fair bit of the ball. he dropped back into space to successfully spoil the incoming ball on a number of occasions. he seems to know where to be and was reliable with his use of the ball. He also took a nice mark in the forward line and kicked the goal. I'm bullish about Lynch. he could end up being a steal.

Big Boy was class all over the ground. Whether rucking or playing forward, he took marks, kicked a goal and imposed himself on the session. Looks and acts like the Captain.

Maginness was interesting. The good part is that he definitely knows how to get he ball. he played a fair bit of time as an inside mid and got some clearances. Was also at half back and was pretty good there. He is almost untackleable (is that a word?). He stands up in a tackle, even with two guys trying to pull him down and always get his arms free. What let him down today was his disposal.

DGB's defensive work was first rate. Disposal not so much. DGB generally impacted most of the contests that came into the defensive 50 and was probably one of the main reasons that the brown team found it so hard to score even when they did the ball down their end.

Mitch lewis was very good today and the pick of the fwds. Probably the best i have seen him during any preseason. Showing some real intent, taking good marks. getting up the ground and impacting the play when the ball wasn't coming to him in the fwd line. Hoping this signals a step up for Mitch in 2022.

Kosi had to getup the ground alot as the ball wasn't coming to the brown fwd line much. He took a ripper mark, hit contest hard and disposal was good.

It warmed my heart to see Sicily out there going at full tilt. Every kick was perfection, He was clean by hand and took a pearler of an intercept mark. What a recruit for 2022.

Moore looks set for another good year and may even go up a nother level. he was not far behind the best players.

Howe & Morrison were quiet.

O'meara was decent but not dominant.

T Mitchell did get a lot of the ball but seemed to be hassled and harassed by Gold players, largely Ward & Newcombe, and ended up being relatively ineffective.

Shiels was very solid for the Gold team.

Seamus M show glimpses of being a special player and is lightning fast.

Rehab group:
Day, Impey, Nash, O'hara, CJ, Wingard, Downie.

That's all for now.
Any word on Butler? Feels like a quiet preseason for him, we've mostly heard about Ward, Croc and Ned Long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seem to recall that you were a bit smitten with MacDonald early last year when he was posting some impressive numbers. Well done.
Yeah, he looked like the kind of player we needed to add to the midfield. Now that he’s on the list I’m looking forward to seeing him debut.

Should we be worried at all about Day's fitness/injury/body?

Been a long time since he was injured, and still doesn't seem to be involved in much of the program. Getting the sense Round 1 is a chance to miss?

I think i would say frustrated, more than worried (just how i feel). Be just nice to see him get a full run at it. I feel like adding some muscle to his frame would be a good thing for him. Would have maybe liked to see him go a little harder at this this preseason.

I think i would say frustrated, more than worried (just how i feel). Be just nice to see him get a full run at it. I feel like adding some muscle to his frame would be a good thing for him. Would have maybe liked to see him go a little harder at this this preseason.
He’s been going hard at it. Some blokes take a few years to fill out, it’s just the way they’re built.

I think someone like Howe/Shiels/Phillips could find themselves out of the team for him anyway.

His excellent ball use is a massive strength over the last two in particular.

I'm also still not as sold on Scrimshaw being best 22 with Day/Sicily featuring more prominently especially since I don't think Scrim would suit a wing as much as some others here think.

Will be very interesting to see how we do line up this season though that's for sure. Some massive selection headaches are on their way and that is a fantastic thing for the club right now.
Scrim is an absolute lock best 22.

You're allowing for him having made improvement, don't you want to see how that plays out in real game time before being entirely sure?
I'm not a big believer myself in his ceiling, but that's based on me judging his best output in the past.
If that best is now his base, and his top output 10% better again - or more, that can look very different on a sporting field.
Sure

I don’t think he has “it” at AFL level, and I’m expecting most if not all our recent draft picks to overhaul him, very quickly

If this does happen, he won’t get games

Yeah, he looked like the kind of player we needed to add to the midfield. Now that he’s on the list I’m looking forward to seeing him debut.
If you were to liken his attributes to those of a club legend (& Heaven knows, you want to 🤣), who would it be?

Yeh, his kicking action (from the videos I’ve seen) looks very ‘mechanical’ or ‘robotic’.

Perhaps that’s why he slipped down to the rookie draft? Hopefully the coaches can smooth it out.

And by all reports he has a tonne of motivation, so he’ll definitely give it his all to improve in this area.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He does have a mechanical ball drop and kick, and the results can be pretty rough at times.

Morrison is an interesting one because I actually have no idea who his AFL comparison player is. We all enjoy these. 'Moore could be our Kane Lambert' tickles me now Moorey has kicked more goals in a season than Kane ever has.

Harry Morrison is just a slight, no fuss, neat and tidy footballer with smarts and skill who doesn't accumulate enough to ever really hurt the opposition. But when he plays he generally contributes enough. If he could get his ceiling to peak Jared Polec we'd be absolutely rolling in wing depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back