Swans 2023 - contend or slide?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
History suggest after a heavy grand final loss it's a slide down the ladder then bottom out a few years later. Just ask Port post-2007, Adelaide post-2017 or GWS post-2019 after a heavy grand final loss by 119, 48 and 89.

Can Sydney defy the critics and contend or will they slide?

Port 2007 Lost Grand Final by 119 2008 Missed finals (finished 13th )
Adelaide 2017 Lost Grand Final by 48 2018 Missed Finals (finished 12th)
GWS 2019 Lost Grand Final by 89 2020 Missed Finals (finished 10th)

Last edited:
slide fail GIF

It will be very interesting. History suggests they’ll slide, but they’re a much stronger club than us in 17, Giants in 19 or Dogs in 21.

I don’t understand the people writing off Buddy though. He still performed at a high level throughout the season and had a big influence in the prelim. I don’t see how a key forward is supposed to have a meaningful impact when his side only had 32 inside 50s.

They will contend for a while yet.
buddy is almost a liability now though and some tough decision might have to be made.
I thought the same when he was poor yesterday, but he's kicked 52 goals in season 22, Riewoldt for example who is playing on only kicked 40.

Hard to not offer a guy who's kicked 50+ in a season another year.

Did anyone pick them to play in the Grand Final pre-season? They were pretty consistent all year, but got banged up playing Collingwood in the preliminary and that was their Grand Final right there. As for 2023 they should contend again, just not so sure it will be from a top 4 position. Buddy appears to have pulled a swifty and secured himself a one year deal, he may find himself not in the team at all by the mid-season Bye? It was their only disastrous result for the season and it will be interesting how they react to it all when the dust settles? I can't see them falling off the perch totally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Classic example of dead cat bounce. 10-13 next year

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
They finished 5th the previous year.

Coming 2nd is pretty indicative of them arriving as a genuine contender after some slow growth in the preceding years.

They are going to be battling against history but I think they’ll buck the trend and finish Top 4 again next year.

Horror Grand Final, but Geelong played exceptionally well. Swans still have a young squad carrying a number of players who will improve again next year.

Buddy was great in the prelim.

When the Swans are up and running he draws a couple of defenders which leaves space for Sydney’s other key forwards to work into.

Reid was a big loss yesterday. I suspect the Swans picked McLean partly to hedge their bets on him getting though the game and ruck if he was needed.

Next year McDonald will cement himself in the 22 and they’ll have a really dangerous forwardline.

Time will tell, geelong flogged in prelim last year bounced back

they bounced back after 2014 ok , made finals and a grand final 2 years later so who knows

got to a grand final earlier than expected

will finish above collingwood i reckon

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans 2023 - contend or slide?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back