Autopsy Swans vs Hawks - take it apart here!

Remove this Banner Ad

this game shows there is now NOTHING we cannot do in a game of footy !!

- play tight congested, contested footy = CHECK
- come from LONG way behind = CHECK
- win the close ones = CHECK
- play free flowing high scoring footy = CHECK
- play counter attack = CHECK

:cool:

Get off to another slow start......CHECK

I feel guilty saying this but I almost forgot how good Hodge is and what a great leader to boot. Geez he makes his team mates walk taller and I dare say, Schoe's great game might have had a little to do with the great man playing alongside him.

Me too. I was doubting whether Hodge could regain his best...if he continues his improvement we only get stronger. Ryan benefits from Luke's poise and class. Shoenmakers disposal today was spot on.

You have to admire the Swans...they could have easily lay down after we got our run on in the 2nd quarter. They have less talent than us but they are extremely disciplined and play to their strengths. They are genuine contenders. Also, Kennedy was excellent. Would love to see him in Brown and Gold after his three year contract with the Swans is up. Would be a perfect replacement for Mitchell/Sewell.

GO THE MIGHTY HAWKS!!!:thumbsu:

Fantastic win by the boys, one of the better wins I have witnessed.

I can't remember the last time we finished 1st at the end of the H&A, hopefully we can beat the Eagles.

I nearly burst out in tears when O'Keefe kicked that goal, I was like "Oh, damn, here we go again", but Burgers responded immediately and the whisky hasn't stopped flowing since.

Bloody roller-coaster and a half, this team really is tough and have the heart of a lion (or lions?).

Burgers was fantastic and loved the way he went in hard and influenced the game when we NEEDED someone to influence it. Bloody star, Burgers, I salute you.

And Hale had a pretty good game against one of the best ruck combos in the game, yeah Roughy helped, but for Hale to get 33 H/O? ****in fantastic! Sewell is a legend (by the way, you owed us one, Sewelly!).

I was cursing the umpires, man, please someone tell me where that maggot lives...

Riding the bumps with a grin, baby, GO THE MIGHTY HAWKERS.

Carlton is shite.

Oh and I also reinforced my will to never get foxtel, I never want to listen to Dunstall (or roos) commentate on another Hawks game.
I love JD, but damn, he is ridiculously harsh on the boys.
Bags them way too much.

Most professional commentator in the game! Those flogs from Geelong should pay more attention!

1st Point..... Burgoyne the only player that didn't fumble the pill under pressure.......our first and mid second quarter ball handling was atrocious.

2nd Point..... The move of Hodge from midfield into our backline, he has such a calming influence on it.

Extremely happy we won. Angry the only two time we win at the SCG is when I was not there:mad: Maybe I am not a good omen:oops:

What I took out of this game (and the Geelong game):
1) when the game settles down, and the initial extreme heat/intensity is out of the game, we can score well against ANYONE
2) Our game style may not stand up to the first 20-30 mins of a finals style game. We need to be smarter and play to our strengths. In the first 20-30 mins of a game, if the opposition is on a roll, either we go defensive a bit and bottle things up to minimise the damage. stop being too cute in trying to handball thru a pack and trying to find the perfect pass by foot. It is ok to go to a 50/50 contest
3) Fortunately the other teams do not seem to be able to match the necessary stamina needed to beat us over four quarters

GO THE MIGHTY HAWKS!!!:thumbsu:

Fantastic win by the boys, one of the better wins I have witnessed.

I can't remember the last time we finished 1st at the end of the H&A, hopefully we can beat the Eagles.

I nearly burst out in tears when O'Keefe kicked that goal, I was like "Oh, damn, here we go again", but Burgers responded immediately and the whisky hasn't stopped flowing since.

Bloody roller-coaster and a half, this team really is tough and have the heart of a lion (or lions?).

Burgers was fantastic and loved the way he went in hard and influenced the game when we NEEDED someone to influence it. Bloody star, Burgers, I salute you.

And Hale had a pretty good game against one of the best ruck combos in the game, yeah Roughy helped, but for Hale to get 33 H/O? ****in fantastic! Sewell is a legend (by the way, you owed us one, Sewelly!).

I was cursing the umpires, man, please someone tell me where that maggot lives...

Riding the bumps with a grin, baby, GO THE MIGHTY HAWKERS.

Carlton is shite.

:thumbsu:

That was a REAL game of footy...both clubs couldnt ask for a better prep for finals. Cant get that from flogathons.
Deserved flag favorites, came down to a cpl of clearances in the last minute or so.
Burgoyne and Lewis terrific, Guerra didnt get the praise he deserved, Franklin and Gibson good comeback games. We cant complain coz we got the same perfect workout, just pissed at not getting over the line at end.
Respect, enjoy the win, the experienced know to be very mindful of being a bit flat next week after games like that.

Here's the latest gem from the Swans thread.

This shows the Hawks are suited to the smaller confines of the SCG. We beat them comfortably on the much larger Aurora stadium, they'll be exposed in finals where they don't get to play on the tiny SCG

However, the umpires were really to blame. :eek: Amazing to think in the game we were crucified the most heavily this season that the opposition blame them as a reason they lost.

Here's the latest gem from the Swans thread.

However, the umpires were really to blame. :eek: Amazing to think in the game we were crucified the most heavily this season that the opposition blame them as a reason they lost.
25-12. They don't want much do they

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I admit I turned it off about 7 minutes into the 2nd Quarter, couldnt believe how bad, sloppy, ineffective, no composure football was being played against how good the Swans moved and contested the ball. Josh Kennedy, so good to see him playing so well, great player. Turned it back on briefly later to see us hit the front and turned off immediately, felt it was an bad omen if i kept watching.

Reviewing the replay was so impressed with Shaun Burgoyne. That first half of football in particular probably the best piece of football seen in a long time. Really imposed himself and kept us in it. Super impressed with Guerra. Openly admit did not want this guy at the club but has proved to be a very worthy Hawthorn player. Schoenmakers was very good. Interested to see Gunston was sent down back late in the first to help stem the tide and I thought made a worthwhile contribution down there. Not saying he should be a backman but think he is adding another string to the bow of versatility. Of course great to see Luke Hodge just crash the packs and lead the Hawks in Defence.

Teams getting a fast start on us is becoming a concern. The good is that this time we were able to peg them back and get the win.

Epic win! A great confidence boost leading into the finals. Burgers, Hodge and Shoey the stand outs for me, but plenty of others stood up as well. Really liked Young's run, mucked up a few disposals, but kept pressing... Back to 2008 form. Also a big mention to Sucker's special goals.

Great win. Extremely frustrated with the Hawks start to the game (a worrying pattern emerging over the past month). However in hindsight, a win in a close finish, against quality opposition, coming from behind, was exactly what we needed going into the finals. Our record in tight finishes in recent years has been a big worry, and this will give us enormous confidence in what is likely to be a tough and tight final series. It also served to get the "monkey off the back" of a few players (Sewell & Schoenmakers in particular), and remind us (and unfortunately our opposition) that we have an "untapped" finals weapon in our midfield in Burgers.

I have never cried before, but I did tonight..What a gutsy game. Not only did we play the Swans, we played the umpires as well. Shove it up your jumpers..So,SO Proud of you players..:D I am still shaking.
Completely right. The rancid pig filth in AFL House will not be happy about this

I was actually a little surprised that we didn't win by more to be honest. The tactical battle was really interesting - one on ones all over the ground initiated by us? I liked that. I thought we were much better than Sydney even in the second half, but our tactic of bombing deep could have been adjusted for more efficient forward thrusts.

So good to have Buddy back - the guy is a monster and just needs another game under his belt so he can start turning those half chances into real chances.

So good to see Hodge playing like that again - if he can keep improving and Buddy can find touch we will damn hard to stop.

Guerra's match was incredible - just ran in straight lines an d kept sending it back the other way with quality 50m kicks. Also gave the dangerous Jetta an absolute bath!

Also though Mitchell's hard work, much of which wasn't stat noted, gave us a huge lift around the clearances.

Looking forward to Cyrillic coming back.

Schoenmakers!!! You beauty.
Will be AA in the next few years.

Guerra and Burgoyne turned the tide. BOG.

Sewell....the cherry.

Victories like that give a self belief that is unshakeable.

This is how great teams are born.

Now thats the hawks I know and love.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Swans vs Hawks - take it apart here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back