Autopsy Swans vs Hawks - take it apart here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Great game. Halfway through the 2nd I thought we were done and again when Kennedy and O'keefe goaled in the last. The cool head of Burgoyne was jizzworthy while I reckon Schoey was one of the best. Where are all the haters now? Sure he gets out bodied by Hawkins, Cloke etc but 95% of defenders do. Guerra was great and doesn't seem to be aging at all. Really hope Kennedy comes home to Hawthorn. Almost like soccer style loan. GO HAWKS
BTW, umpired screwed us all day. The Buddy non-mark and then HTB really had my blood boiling. Penalise him twice for the same umpiring mistake ffs. Probably Burgoyne is a better kick anyway though ;)

Sorry, not going throughout the first 10 pages but watching the replay and amazed by the outcry from Puopolo's goal half way through the 4th. It may not have been high, but that was never, ever holding the ball for mine......

Great win Hawks!:thumbsu:

Held my breath when it looked as though Gibson was poleaxed and perhaps unable to continue, I thought here we go again 'shades of Rnd 5'.

Anyhow huge efforts by the likes of Burger, Goo, Shoe, Hodge and special mention to Hale who was monstered early but got back into it and started to give good service to our boys.

Will be interesting to see if we put Bails back in next week as we need to contend with a formidable ruck combo, anyhow the coaches will make that call and what will be will be:thumbsu:

The tackle wasn't high, but he copped a knee high from the standing opponent. 50/50 whether it was holding the ball, didn't have prior but didn't make an effort to dispose as often is the case with poppy.

It was holding the ball and Buddys' "mark" in the 4th didnt travel 5 metres let alone 15.
We caught a break with Poppy on that one.

I can't agree with you on that one. While it wouldn't shock me completely if it had of been paid, I'm certainly glad (for reasons other than being a hawks supporter) that it wasn't. There was no prior, and in the brief second before the other two players arrived to the contest, he was trying to get rid of it.
I really don't see what else he could have done. I didn't, however, think there was anything in the head high contact. And that's probably what will give so much more attention to the HTB decision.

I reckon we got lucky in the end as I still can;t believe Burger didn't concede 50 late on, but hey, we'd been reamed up until then so happy days.

Hate the starts of late, and our propensity to only play 3 qtrs, but f$%k me, those 3 qtrs are usually golden.

Just need to strong 3 weeks of 4qtr efforts together in a few weeks and we are celebrating.

Burger outstanding, Thought Goo was too. Schoey battled hard and stood up when needed whilst Buddy is a freak.

Guarantee of top 4. Look to prime ourselves for finals. Wooooooo

Just some little observations...

Schoeys mark in the last quarter was great, but what is says about his confidence at attempting to mark that is a bigger statement.

Everyone has spoken about Hodge and his leadership in the backline, but i thought his physical presence in the packs was just as important. We have quite a few players who aren't physical enough, if that isn't evened out with some of the strong grunt players like Hodge, trouble ahead.
I think after playing two garbage games it takes the players feeling the other team smashing in hard to make them realise the intensity needed. I saw Mitch and Hodge a few times really hit contests super hard, just to make a physical impact after the bad start.

Burgoyne has a great Cyril like touch with paddling the ball, super deft touches that change the course of the game. A lot of the time, clearances come from players who get tackled, draw another one or two tackles and still get an effective disposal. It draws the players from the opposing team and clears space for teammates. This is what Kennedy is super at. Burgoyne was equally as good in this sense.

Guerra plays that way every week. Attacks and runs in straight lines....his hit on Chapman the other week i thought was a game changer. Valuable player.

C. Young is a worry under pressure situations, he isn't the only one. There were alot of fumbles and fumblers tonight.

Gibsons attack at the ball was A+. No regard for his body going with flight and launching multiple times. Easily in our most important players.

X Ellis has balls. Forget how many touches he got in his quarter, he will get into packs and isn't afraid of body contact, just holding the ball in for ball ups etc becomes a valuable asset at important times of games.

Sounds stupid, but Puopolo has a good ability to get tackled and not let the ball get out. Just as important as his own tackling.

Stratton is still pretty cool under pressure. And a valuable contributor.

Buddy deserved alot of frees for holding, arm chops, over the shoulder etc in marking contests...

Missing the final 10 mins because I had to get the taxi back to the airport was not nice.

Winning and having great chats with Hawk fans at the airport was great.

We did awesome after the first quarter

Swan frees 25 Hawthorn 12 and fgs the crowd complained? Where have they been? Their heads in a paper bag!,,It's not so much the ones they rec'd it's the ones we don't get,Hodge pushed so blatantly in his back, so many times our players had arms around their necks, no frees,in their back, no frees. Do it to them, we are penalised. No consistence,that's all we ask CONSISTENCE..

Watching the replay with the Burgoyne interview after, makes you realise the work rate of these boys, Silk was sucking air real hard, could hardly get a word in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was holding the ball and Buddys' "mark" in the 4th didnt travel 5 metres let alone 15.
We caught a break with Poppy on that one.

I don't think he had any more prior opportunity than Duncan did against Cyril - you could say he was blindsided. :cool: It was dumb of okeefe - it was under control and there was no need for him to put the knee in.

Just got back from work, saw a bit of the replay. They've got that look in their eyes.
I still want to smash Geelong on the way to a GF though...hate those basterds... but geez whiz well done boys !

Spewing I couldn´t see it but sounds like a gutsy effort...look forward to the replay when I´m home in a few weeks!

Huge win for the club....

• We needed to prove we could take it up to the best in the league. (in form Sydney at their home fortress).
  • We mentally needed to win a close one to show we have the ability to hold on. (ie. what we didn´t do against Geelong etc).
  • Take winning form in against a red hot Eagles (who thumped the Pies by the sounds of things) in Melbourne next week who will also be a team to beat in September.
Well done boys. Enjoy the win everyone.

Let´s not rest on our laurels though- we have lots of work to do in order to keep winning and win the flag.
Remember how shattered we were last year and resolve we won´t do that again.

Go Hawkers!

this game shows there is now NOTHING we cannot do in a game of footy !!

- play tight congested, contested footy = CHECK
- come from LONG way behind = CHECK
- win the close ones = CHECK
- play free flowing high scoring footy = CHECK
- play counter attack = CHECK

:cool:

this game shows there is now NOTHING we cannot do in a game of footy !!

- play tight congested, contested footy = CHECK
- come from LONG way behind = CHECK
- win the close ones = CHECK
- play free flowing high scoring footy = CHECK
- play counter attack = CHECK

:cool:

Beat Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Swans vs Hawks - take it apart here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back