Autopsy Swans vs Roos Rd 7 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

One sidelight - what a small crowd of under 30k. What is going on in Sydney?

Among the experienced players - Towers, Cunningham, Smith, Jack (for sheer butchery) and Parker had forgettable games.

Expect BS learned a lot from last week and stressed the imperative of pressure
If we're going to blame a coach can we blame the midfield coach? Smashed in the clearances in the first quarter (I remember seeing it at 8-0!!!), kicking the ball high when delivering to the forwards despite the tallest player parked there, no pressure through the middle. Once it left our 50 it would seemingly get to there's with little blockage. Honestly our midfield is much better than this

Good point.

Norf has one of the poorer set of mids in the comp. The towelling given shows our mids as a group are pretty ordinary.

My concern was really about the the lack of composure in kicking.

Among the experienced players - Towers, Cunningham, Smith, Jack (for sheer butchery) and Parker had forgettable games.

Expect BS learned a lot from last week and stressed the imperative of pressure

Good point.

Norf has one of the poorer set of mids in the comp. The towelling given shows our mids as a group are pretty ordinary.

My concern was really about the the lack of composure in kicking.

On the crowd, 35k is the drawdown capacity.

A 'full house' rarely gets more than that.

North also have the lowest travelling contingent in footy (exckuding GCS and GC). They really add nothing to crowd numbers, whereas bigger clubs add a good 5k.

Corporates, Trust members etc really mean the 50k capacity is a phantom figure.

Last edited:

Expect BS learned a lot from last week and stressed the imperative of pressure.

I wonder if the selectors will consider selecting someone over 190cm for the game v the Dawks. I really hope they dont go down a jabbed up Buddy route again.

Still fuming. Still waiting for an official comment from the AFL but suspect this will be another failure swept under the carpet, allowed by their ability to fine and punish anyone who dares speak out against clear errors.

Said it during the game and my mind hasn't changed. We seem to go through 10 minute patches of play where what we do works a treat, then immediately abandon anything that looks remotely successful in favour of game plans that we know don't bring success. This is characteristic of Longmire's belief that if we stick with something he believes in, it will start working eventually. Not convinced in the modern game we can stick with the same game plan for 4 years and expect it not to be picked apart.

Before someone comes in and says skill errors aren't the coaches fault I put this to you. Our kicking skills have deteriorated over the last 12 months yet nothing changes. Why are we not spending a majority of training honing those skills? Every week we concede a couple of goals from switches across goal. That is game plan. Every time we get the ball at half back our players look sideways not forward. That is game plan. Week after week, we kick long to the forward line.... if it's not in the game plan, why aren't players dropped? We are stale, despite a huge turn over in assistant coaches. That points to the main man in charge not being willing to make changes.

Still fuming. Still waiting for an official comment from the AFL but suspect this will be another failure swept under the carpet, allowed by their ability to fine and punish anyone who dares speak out against clear errors.

Said it during the game and my mind hasn't changed. We seem to go through 10 minute patches of play where what we do works a treat, then immediately abandon anything that looks remotely successful in favour of game plans that we know don't bring success. This is characteristic of Longmire's belief that if we stick with something he believes in, it will start working eventually. Not convinced in the modern game we can stick with the same game plan for 4 years and expect it not to be picked apart.

Before someone comes in and says skill errors aren't the coaches fault I put this to you. Our kicking skills have deteriorated over the last 12 months yet nothing changes. Why are we not spending a majority of training honing those skills? Every week we concede a couple of goals from switches across goal. That is game plan. Every time we get the ball at half back our players look sideways not forward. That is game plan. Week after week, we kick long to the forward line.... if it's not in the game plan, why aren't players dropped? We are stale, despite a huge turn over in assistant coaches. That points to the main man in charge not being willing to make changes.

It went in 58 times.

Longmire is from the Hird school of coaching he is responsible for literally nothing at the clUb

Things Longmire is not held accountable for

Game plan
Skills
Player performance
Losses
List management
Selection
Player form
Strategy
Forward set up
Opposition performance

His list of duties includes

? Not sure waiting to see but winning 2012 I think

Longmire is from the Hird school of coaching he is responsible for literally nothing at the clUb

Things Longmire is not held accountable for

Game plan
Skills
Player performance
Losses
List management
Selection
Player form
Strategy
Forward set up
Opposition performance

His list of duties includes

? Not sure waiting to see but winning 2012 I think
Sorry mate.
This is trash.

I don’t usually buy into rating the standard of an opposition club’s supporters but I’m starting to wonder about a few of the North coterie.

For a look at a couple of real classy individuals, check out the most recent couple of pages on the “Will Sydney ever be crap” MB thread.

One brought up the death of the Swans head trainer at the SCG years ago, and when I and #Kummerspeck told him/her that was disgusting, another turd weighs in and says we’re “virtue signalling” (obviously learnt that one in Andrew Bolt last week.)

Unbelievable!

Anyway, they’re both now on my Ignore list. Life can be pretty beautiful and I don’t need low-life mongrels like that clouding my enjoyment of it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's execution not game plan.. You have no idea what you're talking about they could be training skills all day every day for all we know. If the players aren't good enough or buckle under pressure then that's on them

Still baffled by the Hartug non review. Over it actually. Will the AFL come out and say anything officially re this? If they do like they did in the 16gf does it make the loss any any better or worse. It's just ****** and I'm over it.

Still baffled by the Hartug non review. Over it actually. Will the AFL come out and say anything officially re this? If they do like they did in the 16gf does it make the loss any any better or worse. It's just ****** and I'm over it.

Well they came out last week and said ours was wrong so presume they will

It's execution not game plan.. You have no idea what you're talking about they could be training skills all day every day for all we know. If the players aren't good enough or buckle under pressure then that's on them

It’s not execution if every player turns sideways and backwards as a first option

that is the first instinct that’s coaching

The sad thing is I'm not even surprised anymore when we lose to a nothing-special opponent at home. I'm very over teams coming to the SCG and beating us as if it's some remarkable accomplishment, we're ****ing awful there. North deserved to win by about 4 goals imo.

That was one of the worst quality games I've ever been to live too. Umpires getting way too involved, skill execution was horrific, unforced error after unforced error for both sides. It was exasperating to watch.

Kennedy again tried his hardest and I feel bad for him as ever. He does everything he can to make it happen but he's on his own in the midfield.

Moving forward I'd be really considering trading Parker while the league still is under the impression he's a killer. I cannot remember a quality player being given such an easy run by the media without getting called out.

If we're going to be this inconsistent this year, and realistically not be much of a chance for a premiership as I've been convinced of since preseason, I think we need to begin moving on from Jack, McVeigh, Grundy unfortunately. Jack won quite a bit of ball last night but he's become a skill liability, a size liability and his influence on games is too small week to week. McVeigh has been good this year and I wouldn't drop him this week, but he's taking the spot of a younger player who we can be training up. Grundy deserves his spot but this has to be his last year and one of Maibaum or Aliir should be pushing him hard for a spot right now.

Heeneys set shots are horrible ATM, Paps not much better either. He kicks the goal at the end, we win, simple as that.

Heeneys set shots are horrible ATM, Paps not much better either. He kicks the goal at the end, we win, simple as that.

Agree

Heeney needs to start attending the skills sessions horse runs every week

I'm going to go as far as saying we have now officially got the most saltiest sook fan base of the comp. We used to leave that to hawthorn and Collingwood supporters. yes the umpiring hasn't been great for us this year but it's not abysmall, that video decision last night yes there looked to be a flick of the finger but it wasn't as blatant as what everyone is making it out to be. It was deemed inconclusive cause of the AFL's shite use of technology. with the tech that's out there, theres no excuse for a billion dollar business not to get cameras that can show a clear slow motion piece of footage. Regardless, if you're basing our loss on that then I suggest you might want to worry about some other things instead.

The ownace for that loss is on our players, not the coach. Lack of logical sense is becoming a problem on this board. Certain players aren't executing and the list is reaching a crossroad and things need to be done from a list management point of view to give Longmire players who are going to execute for him. To blame Longmire is absurd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Swans vs Roos Rd 7 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back