Autopsy Swans vs Roos Rd 7 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's be honest

The Melbourne-based team - again - won because the umpires released so much pressure for them - and gifted them so many 50/50 contests that you simply cannot overcome in a tight game. Footy is a possession/momentum game of inches. To say the umpires didn't influence it is dumb and dishonest.

To be smacked 23-16 in frees on your homeground is nothing short of fraud. It flies in the face of decades of research about umpires and homeground advantage. The apologists here can spin it any way they like - but we are treated with contempt by umpires. One of the most respected teams (by their peers) and disciplined, hardworking units in decades - are treated by umpires with contempt.

The number of goals we have had overturned by inconclusive reviews is laughable at the SCG. But when one is clearly touched by Macca - and this is ignored - is simply highly suspicious.

Again, for the apologists who prefer to pretend this doesn't happen - then blame Horse for the world's woes - open your eyes.

I whole heartedly agree. Especially early. In the last quarter the umpires weren't needed as our players stepped up to the mark and became their own worst enemies.

If North weren't such a shit team we'd have been thrashed by own own incompetence.

Worst game of footy I've seen in a while. Overumpired garble, dropped marks, fumbling and inaccuracy by foot both at goal and in field. Can't blame score review system, or there lack of, for our loss. Positive was Hayward though.
Hayward was good but he also managed to f-up a simple shot on goal when he chose to use a banana (instead of a football)

The quality of the game was so poor I checked out.

Margin was never more than about a goal and it felt insurmountable due to everyone on both teams being incapable of executing even basic skills.

We can't blame the kids. They'll be up and down.

Hayward attempting a banana kick from 30m and kicking out on the full etc.

But the senior group were so ordinary Watching Macca lackadaisically floating a short high pass to a 2 on 1 in North's favour in our backline, defenders being constantly worked off the ball or slipping over, or not following a dangerous lead, Heeney and others repeatedly kicking out of bounds on the full under no pressure, Sinkers kicking short to a North Forward 10m out from goal, Towers, Kizza and Rampe repeatedly running over the ball and failing to pick it up et etc.

I can't remember a game where so many short passes fell short of targets and bounced at their feet.

After taking a mark the next uncontested kick from both teams would almost without fail be a turnover.

Painful.

North were equally awful. Brown kicking in the man on the mark...i'll stop there there were 30 horrible turnovers from both sides.

Worse for me was how we just opened up from the centre square, repeatedly gave them open access to our backline and missed tackles.

It felt like season over in many ways. Prove me wrong, Horse. Please.

So from the dredges of an ignominious loss what is there is to consider:

Plugger needs a good talking to. Maybe Eade should be hired on a 24 hour retainer to reprise one of his monumental stacks and chew Plugger out.

Rocket can also save a little bit for Stevie J for encouraging trickery ambitions beyond capacity.

Sinkers needs to be made co-captain on a formal basis. He is effectively such already. His efforts reminded me of Barry Round and his herculean efforts for repeated lost causes.

On the plus side, we'll struggle to replicate such an error-ridden performance.

My fear is we have no answer to a strong defensive system. The errors were a result of s lack of composure brought about by opposition pressure and by having no ball winners foreard of the back 6 that anyone had the confidence to pass to.

Adel showed us up.

Hawks will do the same.

We need Buddy and Melican back pronto.

This is a better take on the match than the glass nearly full you usually go with.
The reality is that we couldn't move the ball with any fluency at any stage during the game. That was true last week as well but kennedys dominance in the last quarter meant it was played almost entirely in their backline.

Absent jones who is willing to provide a genuine run and carry and a long kick I have no confidence in our ability to move the ball at all. Not even 30 metres forward.

It's all very well pointing to nine misses but I felt all night the only thing keeping us in it was their inability to convert opportunities. We were always playing to catch up - they just needed one more goal for large parts of the night to break it open.

I just give my opinion each week mate & call it as I see it & people want to blame coaches after each loss but what I saw again last night was not coaching problems but pure execution problems Again I'll highlight a few instances. Hayward goes the banana when a drop punt will do & misses everything. Should have been a point at worse. Jack misses after the siren in the first, right in front. There should be another 5 points. Jack is given a gift handball by Fox in tbe second & misses everything. That should be a point at worse. Ronke does all the hard work & roves the contest cleanly & hooks too much from 15 m out & hits the post. That's bread & butter stuff for he & Paps. It's what they are selected for by the coaches. So I have found an extra 12 points for us there at worse.
Now defensively. Sinclair had a great game but that pass to a North player down back for a shot from 20 m out & goal shouldn't happen if he hands off to a smaller player which is the classic rucknan's rule. Now there is 18 points at worse we could have done with. That's in a half.

For you guys that want me to be critical of the coaching & game plan just open your flipping eyes & watch the game.'s individual moments where players don't execute properly. Sure in the odd game we have a bad coaching performance but so do all coaches. Chris Scott last week for example.
But players need to nail situations & last night we didn't.
58 inside 50's means no problem with the game plan when you are missing your two key forwards which people like you choose to brush off.
That's not my problem mate but yours if you can't see that as a genuine reason as to why we dont win every game.
Just my opinion & tell me again if that's ok.
Fair dinkum.

Last edited:
"I'm OK with a little touch" says Kane Cornes on AFL's The Round So Far, dismissing McVeigh's touch that should have been picked up on review, despite it ultimately cost the Swans the game. He goes on to say the AFL should only use the reviews to pick up the important stuff, like whether a ball hit's the post in a GF, eg, not for some piddling little Swans game.

So is that where the AFL stands now. Swans are robbed of a win that may cost us any chance of making the GF but that's OK ? I realise Horse would be lynched by the AFL if he dares question them publicly but I sincerely hope that behind the scenes all hell is breaking loose.

"I'm OK with a little touch" says Kane Cornes on AFL's The Round So Far, dismissing McVeigh's touch that should have been picked up on review, despite it ultimately cost the Swans the game. He goes on to say the AFL should only use the reviews to pick up the important stuff, like whether a ball hit's the post in a GF, eg, not for some piddling little Swans game.

So is that where the AFL stands now. Swans are robbed of a win that may cost us any chance of making the GF but that's OK ? I realise Horse would be lynched by the AFL if he dares question them publicly but I sincerely hope that behind the scenes all hell is breaking loose.
Incorruptible, full of integrity is the AFL.

My fear is we have no answer to a strong defensive system. The errors were a result of s lack of composure brought about by opposition pressure and by having no ball winners foreard of the back 6 that anyone had the confidence to pass to.

Adel showed us up.

Hawks will do the same.

We need Buddy and Melican back pronto.

Seriously there was no pressure on most of those errors.

He's just a Port fraud.
Planted on Vic radio to stir the pot & remind everyone that his club actually exists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True +ve from the game is that we identified that Norf were using the uncontested marks to try and beat us like the Hawfs. But we identified that and snuffed it out.

Seriously there was no pressure on most of those errors.

It was referred pressure, I suspect. Plus I suspect it was a bit greasy out there.

One thing North can do is tackle. They're actually better at it than us, amazingly.

Lack of time, plus tackling pressure, plus lack of composure, plus no real marking targets left us a bit rudderless.

We won the ball enough, but after running in a circle once or twice, everything reset and it was a wall of defenders upfield.

We looked slow in the middle. Got sliced up when the spread the ball. The zone looked porous to say the least.

Grundy - great job generally speaking
Ramps - form is building but simply gave away too much height. Copped a few soft frees against but scragged a few noted forwards as well
Smith - serviceable
Mills - on balance he was pretty god awful. Lethargic, got smothered. Wasn’t up to it.
Hayward - class act
Rohan - Jung off the back of packs and was easy pickings
Papley - unsighted
Towers - nothing special
Kennedy - very good
Lloyd - zero penetration like he had last year
Sinclair - really good game just too tired in the end
Parker - nowhere near as damaging as he should be. Is he injured? Not seeing as much aggression from him.
Ronke - learning but has some good attributes including speed and aggression
Florent - was he given a tagging role until 3qt? Didn’t notice him until Q4.
Fox - looked OK. We needed something damaging up forward and he couldn’t quite deliver it.
KJ - there are moments when senior players need to stand and deliver and this was his time. His shots were all very easy. Just not good enough at all. It felt like he was the difference between us winning and losing tonight.
Heeney - good. Plenty of goal assists. Yips.
Jones - was good tonight. Could lower the eyes more.

Other players weren’t memorable.

So from the dredges of an ignominious loss what is there is to consider:

Plugger needs a good talking to. Maybe Eade should be hired on a 24 hour retainer to reprise one of his monumental stacks and chew Plugger out.

Rocket can also save a little bit for Stevie J for encouraging trickery ambitions beyond capacity.

Sinkers needs to be made co-captain on a formal basis. He is effectively such already. His efforts reminded me of Barry Round and his herculean efforts for repeated lost causes.

If we're going to blame a coach can we blame the midfield coach? Smashed in the clearances in the first quarter (I remember seeing it at 8-0!!!), kicking the ball high when delivering to the forwards despite the tallest player parked there, no pressure through the middle. Once it left our 50 it would seemingly get to there's with little blockage. Honestly our midfield is much better than this

We looked slow in the middle. Got sliced up when the spread the ball. The zone looked porous to say the least.

Ramps - form is building but simply gave away too much height. Copped a few soft frees against but scragged a few noted forwards as well
Smith - serviceable
Mills - on balance he was pretty god awful. Lethargic, got smothered. Wasn’t up to it.
Hayward - class act
Papley - unsighted
Towers - nothing special
Kennedy - very good
Parker - nowhere near as damaging as he should be. Is he injured? Not seeing as much aggression from him.
Fox - looked OK. We needed something damaging up forward and he couldn’t quite deliver it.
KJ - there are moments when senior players need to stand and deliver and this was his time. His shots were all very easy. Just not good enough at all. It felt like he was the difference between us winning and losing tonight.

It's not fair to single out players, I agree.

But Kizza felt like the story of the night to me as well. An almost towering effort turned into an embarrassment by the end.

I just wish he gathered that slingshot opportunity forward and slotted it. A lot would be forgiven.

I loved Hayward's game. His contested marks were the highlight for us.

Sinkers did well against Goldstein, overall. But I wonder if AA could have come in simply as a defendive coverage option when Rampe started getting lost, and to ruck a bit to give Sinkers some minutes to recover?

Smith - serviceable
Hayward - class act
Papley - unsighted
Towers - nothing special
Kennedy - very good

Agree with all.
Except Heeney. 20 metres out in tbe 3rd to put us up by 5 points.
Misses.
Bad.

Says it all really. Swans got trapped in defence and could not get out. We move the ball so slowly out of defence we give the opposition all the time they need to setup their zone.
Couldn’t agree more. A far cry from 2016 with Allir and Rampe taking risks out of our backline

As others have said close to the most boring, lack lustre and skill-less game I've seen in a long time. The conservative defensive mindset of the team was never more obvious than last night. Do we have to be 20 odd points down in the last to change from defense into attack mode these days? The win would have helped but playing like that gives zero confidence playing against any team let alone one that knows how to beat us more than most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Swans vs Roos Rd 7 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back