Autopsy Swans vs Roos Rd 7 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

All summer they were talking about improving our ball movement, and they've decided Nathan Buckleys short kicking crabbing sideways garbage from last year is the best result for better ball movement?
McVeigh and Lloyd are two of the biggest culprits (not the only ones mind you), they're retention rates are ok and they probably have a nice kicking efficiency....but they receive handballs running away from goals to kick backwards, constantly chip it short and sideways rather then get it moving quickly and launching off half-back, a lot of these possessions are detrimental to the team as all they do is stat pad and slow down our play and allow the opposition to set up and lock us in our own back half. They're better players than that, especially Lloyd who was almost AA last year, you can see it's a clear direction they're following. Better ball movement = better ball retention apparently...doesn't seem to matter that all the retention is in the back half of the field, making no advances towards goal or that we don't have the skills to pull it off.

After every good win, or a week of being pumped up by the media this year...we've started the next game like rubbish, you can tell the players get way too ahead of themselves after the most ordinary of achievements...their backs have to be against the wall for us to come out with the energy and intent required.

John longmire

Sydney's mosquito fleet forward line couldn't inspire the Swans to a second straight win without Lance Franklin, but coach John Longmire will continue to search for an answer to his side's scoring woes after their two-point loss to North Melbourne on Saturday night.

I think I may have some solutions for you john.

1. Win the midfield battle. If these mids can't win it then put players in there who can. Maybe change the mid strategies as these ones are getting a bit long in the tooth. Everybody knows how you are going to set up. Jimmy Bartel said so. Maybe you should get advice from Jimmy.

2. Stop bombing the ball to the smallest forward line in the AFL. That might help. How about actually kicking a pass every now and then.

3. Stop butchering the ball.

4. How about players shepherd every now and then. I'm sick and tired of seeing our players get caught just because teammates didn't do the team thing and shepherd.

5. Stop the slow movement out of defence which gives them time to set up. If we do this next week Hawks will slaughter us.

6. I am sick and tired of your defensive game. It's uglier than anything Roos invented. Not only is it ugly it is the reason we can't score. We don't move the ball quick enough and always kick to the most defensive position; eg flanks. We can't score because your game plan stinks. Far too defensive and negative.

7. Get rid of zoning up when they are coming out of defence. We gave them far too much room last night and they were able to get the overlap. We need to be so close to our opponents we could whisper sweet nothings in his ears. Niel Kerley used to say 'wear him like a glove, make him want to hit you because you are right in his face and if you are not willing to wear him like a glove then go and play basketball'

Last week in the first and last quarters we played really good footy. so you are capable of coming up with stuff that works. But we need players who can actually kick to play that sort of game. this week we have Macca kicking out to the pocket every time and the players were very static. They always lead to the same positions for the kick ins and the opposition knows that. We get bogged down and have to kick down the line with only one tall. Stupid really. But our player movement is predictable. We need to change that like we did last week.

What a difference a week makes. Fluid movement and winning midfield tactics. Really good man on man when they were coming out of defence. Great short and long passes to teammates. To; bottle it up. Bomb it long. Play a zone and give them space. Can't win the mids because the set ups are all wrong. butcher the ball.

Enough said.

Is it

What’s he held accountable for?

He is the head coach.
He has assistants for each line.
He has had some bad games, mainly on selection.
Last night was not one of them.
We do what we can with what we have.
Just rolling out the "Longmire's fault" card is very tiring mate because we are going to lose plenty of games each year & if we make finals we are going to lose some of those too.
I guess you just want to be left alone on here with the others wanting Longmire changed or whatever without contribution from a few of us that think otherwise. If so just say so or tell RW & SF51, the moderators on here, they'll back your manner of posting over mine too.:)

Still baffled by the Hartug non review. Over it actually. Will the AFL come out and say anything officially re this? If they do like they did in the 16gf does it make the loss any any better or worse. It's just ****** and I'm over it.
Yeah they are. They're going to say that they will be awarding the 4 points to us due to the mistake and that will fill the boys with motivation and we're going to make top 4 as a result and bring home the premiership. Why stress so much over what would've been a 4 point win over shit club that would have got us no where other than fill us with more delusion

I don’t get this

Clearly we played into there hands

Win is a win

Don’t believe in we lost that

Goal review. 1 goal.
McVeigh gift pass. 1 goal.
Sinclair gift pass. 1 goal.
Heeney miss 20 m. 1 goal.
Hayward banana spray. 1 goal.
Jack miss 1/4 time. 1 goal.

That doesn't involve game plan.
Yeah we lost that.
You've had better argunments blaming coaches but not last night.

John longmire

Sydney's mosquito fleet forward line couldn't inspire the Swans to a second straight win without Lance Franklin, but coach John Longmire will continue to search for an answer to his side's scoring woes after their two-point loss to North Melbourne on Saturday night.

I think I may have some solutions for you john.

1. Win the midfield battle. If these mids can't win it then put players in there who can. Maybe change the mid strategies as these ones are getting a bit long in the tooth. Everybody knows how you are going to set up. Jimmy Bartel said so. Maybe you should get advice from Jimmy.

2. Stop bombing the ball to the smallest forward line in the AFL. That might help. How about actually kicking a pass every now and then.

3. Stop butchering the ball.

4. How about players shepherd every now and then. I'm sick and tired of seeing our players get caught just because teammates didn't do the team thing and shepherd.

5. Stop the slow movement out of defence which gives them time to set up. If we do this next week Hawks will slaughter us.

6. I am sick and tired of your defensive game. It's uglier than anything Roos invented. Not only is it ugly it is the reason we can't score. We don't move the ball quick enough and always kick to the most defensive position; eg flanks. We can't score because your game plan stinks. Far too defensive and negative.

7. Get rid of zoning up when they are coming out of defence. We gave them far too much room last night and they were able to get the overlap. We need to be so close to our opponents we could whisper sweet nothings in his ears. Niel Kerley used to say 'wear him like a glove, make him want to hit you because you are right in his face and if you are not willing to wear him like a glove then go and play basketball'

Last week in the first and last quarters we played really good footy. so you are capable of coming up with stuff that works. But we need players who can actually kick to play that sort of game. this week we have Macca kicking out to the pocket every time and the players were very static. They always lead to the same positions for the kick ins and the opposition knows that. We get bogged down and have to kick down the line with only one tall. Stupid really. But our player movement is predictable. We need to change that like we did last week.

What a difference a week makes. Fluid movement and winning midfield tactics. Really good man on man when they were coming out of defence. Great short and long passes to teammates. To; bottle it up. Bomb it long. Play a zone and give them space. Can't win the mids because the set ups are all wrong. butcher the ball.

Enough said.

Great post. I agree on all points.

I don't think we can move it quickly out of defense with the personnel we have there. Need some run - and I guess we'll be waiting till next year for it.
Ollie in McV's spot and Stoddart in Mills spot will see us playing a very different brand of footy hopefully. But we'll have to hope Mills develops into a good mid.

It’s not execution if every player turns sideways and backwards as a first option

that is the first instinct that’s coaching
If anything first instinct is the players predisposition. Do you actually think players at every moment in the match are thinking game plan game plan game plan. 90% of the time what you see is player instinct, only the running patterns are game plan. A player doesn't handball it out of a contest to his first option cause it's game plan, they do what they can in the situation given. We chipped sideways cause there was clearly no options forward of the ball, otherwise we'd hoof it in hope which is what killed us countless times over the years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goal review. 1 goal.

Yeah we lost that.

We certainly gave them every opportunity to stay in the game. The banana spray was particulary puzzling option given how good a set shot he is. I wouldn't trust KJ to his a set shot ever - his miss after jinking onto his left to avoid the defender with a simple snap was worse for mine - that's his best go to play.

Goal review. 1 goal.

Yeah we lost that.

Sure we committed those and other errors. Norf committed as many errors, gifting us with opportunities. We still should have beaten the Aardvarks comprehensively.

Game plans are built around the notion we will sometimes execute the required skills but allow for the probability of error.

It now seems entrenched that our otherwise admirable defence has to chip laterally. There is absolutely no imperative to run.

I would like to see a heat map of disposals from between hb and high half hf. Seemed to me that our game plan was based on repeatedly kicking to the edge of the wide SCG wings (often over). This the same trap that Oppos used to fall into in playing that ground. Run and carry and a bit of corridor use, when executed, opens the game and cuts the time necessary to get the ball forward to any forward line, let alone one filled with Shorties.

Goal review. 1 goal.

Yeah we lost that.
spot on Ted

But you're not adding anything mate.
I will. How about having a half back line that can rebound. One that doesn't move the ball laterally through McVeigh. A defence that can rebound quickly and plays a zone defence. A forward line with at least two tall targets. This is so fundamental I guess your reply was ironic. The continued defence of Longmire is becoming absurd quite frankly. It was quite obvious that North would apply pressure to our midfield much more effectively than the softest midfield in the comp in Geelong. It was also quite obvious that if our ball transition was pressured we would kick long and high. It was also quite obvious that the tall North defence would pick us off. So obvious that only an arrogant stubborn coach would stick to a team selection and game plan that was so one dimensional that he was yes - outcoached again. Longmire had Cameron starring in the reserves and he persisted in playing a wingman in the ruck. The Aiir situation is verging on a scandal. Mate I can get the company line from the club web site. Its as boring as the game plan.

The good thing is that with so many of our games going down to the wire this season we won't be freaked out by them IF we make the finals and play in nail biters.

Disagree. Turned his back on the play every time he got the ball, got beaten in the ruck handily by Goldstein including key contests late in the game, his goal that he scored was Ronke's, not even mentioning that kick.
Mate seriously did you watch the game. If SINCLAIR didn’t play the way he did we would have got beaten by 6 goals. He hardly lost a centre bounce for a start.

I will. How about having a half back line that can rebound. One that doesn't move the ball laterally through McVeigh. A defence that can rebound quickly and plays a zone defence. A forward line with at least two tall targets. This is so fundamental I guess your reply was ironic. The continued defence of Longmire is becoming absurd quite frankly. It was quite obvious that North would apply pressure to our midfield much more effectively than the softest midfield in the comp in Geelong. It was also quite obvious that if our ball transition was pressured we would kick long and high. It was also quite obvious that the tall North defence would pick us off. So obvious that only an arrogant stubborn coach would stick to a team selection and game plan that was so one dimensional that he was yes - outcoached again. Longmire had Cameron starring in the reserves and he persisted in playing a wingman in the ruck. The Aiir situation is verging on a scandal. Mate I can get the company line from the club web site. Its as boring as the game plan.
Can't wait till Cameron gets a game and stinks it up so that everyone here can stop mentioning him, he will get absolutely ripped apart in the big time. There's obviously some sort of work ethic issue with Aliir, he looked laborious in the neafl yesterday. The solutions aren't as simple as what they look clearly horse is picking players he feels are upto it regardless of positioning

Cox is our ruck coach Sinclair is playing career best football.

Not sure how Cox and Dew are related if you wanna blame someone blame Kirk he is our midfield coach.

Midfield looks different on a bad way. Someone help me put a finger on it cause it is more than just Hannebery missing. I would love to see how our scores against from stoppages compare to previous years. I may be wrong on this but we seem to be a bit leaky.

Midfield looks different on a bad way. Someone help me put a finger on it cause it is more than just Hannebery missing. I would love to see how our scores against from stoppages compare to previous years. I may be wrong on this but we seem to be a bit leaky.
2 years ago we had kennedy, parker, hanners, jack at their prime. A couple are getting on and the other couple have dipped. hopefully your finger is on it now. Without eachother at their best they are no longer at their best

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Swans vs Roos Rd 7 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back