Autopsy Swans vs Roos Rd 7 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

The buck stops with the coach full stop

For sure.

The coaching group put a gameplan together that saw:

- win inside 50s 58 to 48
- win clearances 41-31 (won both centre and stoppage)
- win tackles inside 50 10-3

We got enough ball into our forward line to kick a winning score.

However the players did not execute! Look at the attached picture (if it works, excuse my drawing).

We had 7-8 misses inside the corridor, they had 3. Unforgivable.
IMG_0256.JPG

For sure.

The coaching group put a gameplan together than saw:

- win inside 50s 58 to 48
- win clearances 41-31 (won both centre and stoppage)
- win tackles inside 50 10-3

We got enough ball into our forward line to kick a winning score.

However the players did not execute! Look at the attached picture (if it works, excuse my drawing).

We had 7-8 misses inside the corridor, they had 3. Unforgivable.
View attachment 493025
I don't think even pictures can help this lot understand

Ofcourse I don't want to see him fail but the notion of him playing in the AFL after seeing how he plays fills me with no confidence. And im sure it's the reason why he's not getting a game. If we played to position just because a certain player is next in line the culture of our club would be in strife. Sometimes players aren't up to the task and only the coaching panel can determine whether that is the case. I wish it wasn't the case but clearly there's something going on with allir and why others are being selected instead.

Have you even bothered to watch a reserves game? Di you watch the game yesterday? If longmire brings players back from injury before they are fit enough to play seniors that is Longmire's fault not Aliir's. Aliir had a wonderful 2016. He found it difficult in 2017 but I thought was good enough to get a game later in the season. As to playing players out of position it really worked for Reg didn't hahaha. taking the best full back in the AFL and trying to play him at full forward really works. Not. We will never pick a player because he is next in line, although some of the selections in the last year and a half seem that way to me, but you pick players on need. If we need a key position player and Melican is not fit we play Aliir. Aliir is now almost ready and match fit to play seniors. Cameron is certainly match fit and now seems to have the tank the club needs him to have.

I find some of your posts astounding and some of them incredibly disrespectful to older posters who more than likely know far more about the game than you. I really need to ask you several questions;

Have you ever played the game at competition level?
Have you ever umpired the game at competition level?
Do you understand tactics and positional transition and how hard that is?
Do you understand that sometimes a coach does not concentrate his training on skills and bases it on defensive pressure or goal kicking or competitive work?
In fact some years ago skills work was identified as being lacking at the Swans. Longmire admitted he had to concentrate more on the skills side of the game to improve the skill set. He did this and our skills improved greatly over the ensuing weeks. Skills need to be constantly honed to produce the right results on match day. they need to be honed under intense pressure at training. I have seen our training drills and they are neither intense or improving skill sets.

I couldn't care if you were the oldest living fossil of a swans supporter on the planet, nor does what you've seen or been through make you intelligent enough to know why good goes good and wrong goes wrong in footy (im sorry you've been through a lot poor bugger). Your senior citizen admonishment of the coach being the bearer of shite skill execution is ridiculous. I'm sure a professional AFL club does more than the required skill training it needs. Longmire isn't out there kicking the ball for them
Well after 68 years following the great club I am an expert on stuff ups, **** ups, lost opportunities and bad coaching. Dessy Tuddenham and Gary Buckenara coached us so I know a bad coach when I see one. And we have one now. And fossils are much more interesting than the ephemeral.

Let's talk about the conversion & you'll engage me in conversation.
Blaming the coaches about last night is just a lazy observation, I'm sorry connelly & bores me to tears.
Maybe its a confidence issue. Its the young players. I don't believe Longmire is good with some of the young players. There are two kinds of coaches. Those that put things like confidence and trust in young payers. And those that take it away. Longmire is the latter.

How could anyone blame the coach for the basic skill errors is weird and just reeks of people who dont understand how the modern game is played.

Some of the stuff ouyr players stuffed up was embarrasing and stuff i have seen in the thirds and when i play with mates at the park.

And the slagging of the coach reminds me of supporters of clubs who would sack their coach year after year and have hoovered in the bottom 4 for years.

Also how many here actually watch games lives? One thing is to watch a game of AFL on TV where the camera is focused on the ball carrier for 99% of the game and another thing is to go and watch it live where you can see how a modern game of AFL is played.

There is nothing wrong with the gameplan, nothing at all. What is wrong is our skills under pressure, we suck in that dept. Our skills are easily exposed when the oppostion team bring their pressure game. Its obvious when you are the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How could anyone blame the coach for the basic skill errors is weird and just reeks of people who dont understand how the modern game is played.

Some of the stuff ouyr players stuffed up was embarrasing and stuff i have seen in the thirds and when i play with mates at the park.

And the slagging of the coach reminds me of supporters of clubs who would sack their coach year after year and have hoovered in the bottom 4 for years.

Also how many here actually watch games lives? One thing is to watch a game of AFL on TV where the camera is focused on the ball carrier for 99% of the game and another thing is to go and watch it live where you can see how a modern game of AFL is played.

There is nothing wrong with the gameplan, nothing at all. What is wrong is our skills under pressure, we suck in that dept. Our skills are easily exposed when the oppostion team bring their pressure game. Its obvious when you are the game.

As supporters we are sick of having a strong list that Longmire continually has underperform due to his complete lack of ability or desire to change the game plan at all. Our gameplan has not changed in 6 years despite our team being quite different compared to our 2013 team. We are still trying to play the same way because Longmire refuses to change.

Have you even bothered to watch a reserves game? Di you watch the game yesterday? If longmire brings players back from injury before they are fit enough to play seniors that is Longmire's fault not Aliir's. Aliir had a wonderful 2016. He found it difficult in 2017 but I thought was good enough to get a game later in the season. As to playing players out of position it really worked for Reg didn't hahaha. taking the best full back in the AFL and trying to play him at full forward really works. Not. We will never pick a player because he is next in line, although some of the selections in the last year and a half seem that way to me, but you pick players on need. If we need a key position player and Melican is not fit we play Aliir. Aliir is now almost ready and match fit to play seniors. Cameron is certainly match fit and now seems to have the tank the club needs him to have.

I find some of your posts astounding and some of them incredibly disrespectful to older posters who more than likely know far more about the game than you. I really need to ask you several questions;

Have you ever played the game at competition level?
Have you ever umpired the game at competition level?
Do you understand tactics and positional transition and how hard that is?
Do you understand that sometimes a coach does not concentrate his training on skills and bases it on defensive pressure or goal kicking or competitive work?
In fact some years ago skills work was identified as being lacking at the Swans. Longmire admitted he had to concentrate more on the skills side of the game to improve the skill set. He did this and our skills improved greatly over the ensuing weeks. Skills need to be constantly honed to produce the right results on match day. they need to be honed under intense pressure at training. I have seen our training drills and they are neither intense or improving skill sets.
Yes I watched yesterdays NEAFL game live thanks to youtube
Yes I've played and still play football, highest level being vfl although not currently
I'm currently employed as a PT and sport scientist and have had work experience at a Melbourne based AFL club
I see the development of players on a weekly basis and it's more than just skill and fitness. There's work ethic, mental space and clarity all involved. You'd be surprised at how many players struggle with certain issues you'd never know about. All of this has to be managed as a collective and the team that gets put out on the park is picked accordingly. It's not as simple as putting whoevers name on the board at selection.
And no a persons age doesn't make their opinion more entitled, nor does it devalue the opinion of someone who is younger

I don't think even pictures can help this lot understand

A lot of AFL fans watch nothing but footy on tv and have been conditioned to think "the experts" are right and the coaches who know every details and prepare teams for games, dont know much.

Its embarrassing because these same fans repeat the clueless things most modern day TV experts repat. This clowns in the AFL media are just as bad as the fans..no idea about the intricate aspects of modern football, they rely on buzzwords and other suck malarky.

Genuine question - what would you do if you were in Horse's shoes right now?
With this sort of footy we can't win a flag with some of the dumb campaigners in the present team. Get Allir in now O'Riardon and Newman in , change it up get Papley back forward etc , things that have worked. Even Towers has been ok. Anyhow it's terrible to watch 9 goals and Jack missing from dead in front.

As supporters we are sick of having a strong list that Longmire continually has underperform due to his complete lack of ability or desire to change the game plan at all. Our gameplan has not changed in 6 years despite our team being quite different compared to our 2013 team. We are still trying to play the same way because Longmire refuses to change.

Our ist is over rated. What we have is resilience because that the confidence and values the coach has instilled.

If any other coach was in charge of this lot we would be hovering in the bottom 4.

A lot of AFL fans watch nothing but footy on tv and have been conditioned to think "the experts" are right and the coaches who know every details and prepare teams for games, dont know much.

Its embarrassing because these same fans repeat the clueless things most modern day TV experts repat. This clowns in the AFL media are just as bad as the fans..no idea about the intricate aspects of modern football, they rely on buzzwords and other suck malarky.
You deserve to win your next tattslotto ticket. Spot on

Well that's the coaches fault , he's there to coach and skills are a part of that !

With all due respect, this team is not strong anymore it's not the same team by the slightest. The older players are dropping off the cliff and some of the youngsters are still incompetent. Our resilience and coach may get us to finals this year but you'll be in for a rude shock come next season. It's the cycle of an football club and the way we transition will determine how quick we bounce back. All I can say is Hardwick had pitchforks at his door, he survived and look at them now. Is he still a shite coach or did Richmond supporters over react? did carlton fans realise ratten wasn't that bad after all once they got in coach malthouse? Did hawthorn breathe a sigh of relief when they were close to sacking Clarkson at the beginning of his tenure?

You see, I don’t think we have a strong list overall. It may get that way at some point but we are not there.

Our best 22 is as good as any, but once we start to lose a few, our depth is very shallow.

At the moment we have too many bottom 6 types which includes those talented younger players that aren’t quite mature enough to have consistent performances.

Look at the team last night: Jack, Marsh, Ronke, Rohan, Florent, Towers, Cunningham, Fox probably McVeigh and even Hayward (who played well but at his stage of development should be bottom 6 in a premiership contending side).

They are imo all bottom 6 types and currently we have around 9-10 of them with only bottom 6 types (at best) in a similar position to replace them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Swans vs Roos Rd 7 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back