Sydney Salary Cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies - you seem to have a real bee in your jocks. It was a legitimate question and tbh if your really heading back to the 80's for examples then I can understand the reaction. I therefore presume there is actually no proof in say the last ten years that players left Sydney because it was too expensive to live there. Would be interesting to compare the exodus from Sydney to say that of the eagles and Adelaide for comparisons sake

I think it was a very big issue initially as you develop a market thats why there was a retention allowance. I believe the club is strong enough now to retain players. I also believe it can bottom out and be strong support wise, the afl also wobt let clubs die anyway, worse case provides mre assistance. Personally i don't buy COL to retain players.

Your own CEO or pres actually used your supposed inability to bottom out like everyone else as a reason to defend the cola and the need for ongoing financial input from the afl regardless of ladder position.

The unequal funding has to do with the financial position of the club, we get as much funding as clubs in similar financial positions and is a separate argument and has nothing to with us bottoming out.

The unequal funding has to do with the financial position of the club, we get as much funding as clubs in similar financial positions and is a separate argument and has nothing to with us bottoming out.

Then why did he link it to the swans lot being allowed to bottom out?

I think it was a very big issue initially as you develop a market thats why there was a retention allowance. I believe the club is strong enough now to retain players. I also believe it can bottom out and be strong support wise, the afl also wobt let clubs die anyway, worse case provides mre assistance. Personally i don't buy COL to retain players.

As I have said numerous times I don't have a problem with Col only that it's limited to one club and the way it's distributed. My initial question was in response to a Sydney poster continually commenting on how players would come for the big bucks and then up and leave and the drug counsellor with 30 years experience and still uses the word flog responded with some crap about the 80's. I get why it was introduced but times have changed and footballers expect to have to relocate - so I think it needs to reviewed and renamed as I don't think COLA alone can be justified but maybe relocation and COLA for maybe 3/4 years would be sufficient with some formula introduced so that any player relocating would be entitled to receive it.

As I have said numerous times I don't have a problem with Col only that it's limited to one club and the way it's distributed. My initial question was in response to a Sydney poster continually commenting on how players would come for the big bucks and then up and leave and the drug counsellor with 30 years experience and still uses the word flog responded with some crap about the 80's. I get why it was introduced but times have changed and footballers expect to have to relocate - so I think it needs to reviewed and renamed as I don't think COLA alone can be justified but maybe relocation and COLA for maybe 3/4 years would be sufficient with some formula introduced so that any player relocating would be entitled to receive it.
So you don't have a problem with it, then go on to list your problems with it. Make up your mind

How would you suggest the AFL equalises out the 100 year gap in junior development. How well would your club hold up if 95% of teh list came from interstate and you couldn't hide players from the draft etc

To be fair to the AFL, I think they've at least taken a step to try and improve the development by the introduction of the academies that the QLD and NSW states have starting up, gives clubs the ability to find and develop the players, then get first dibs on them. That is until one of the academy players contributes to one of those teams beating Collingwood in a grand final, and Eddie kicks up a stink.

My post was mostly in response to "They have turned club funding into an overly complicated welfare state."

Can't see any issues in getting the $'s if your club brings the money in.
The problem is probably because it favours the clubs which are already doing well. E.g. Collingwood and West Coast bring the money in, but it doesn't make sense to give them higher amounts of unequal funding

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is how? I don't have the faintest and unless you have accrss to player contracts I don't see how you can
Well, for starters, it's only distributed to Sydney and GWS (and not Perth Melbourne or any other places) and we at least know it's distributed to every player, and not just the rookies, as the original poster was suggesting

Well, for starters, it's only distributed to Sydney and GWS (and not Perth Melbourne or any other places) and we at least know it's distributed to every player, and not just the rookies, as the original poster was suggesting
No, the rookies get 33% on top of a std contract AFAIK, as do all first years, I would assume that the more you earn the less help you need, so someone who is offerred 400k probably includes the COL. These are not facts, just things I have read over hte years. If aplayer stays long enough to earn that kind of money, he probably isn't leaving in a hurry, although we nearly lost ROK there. Again I read the 33% thing somewhere a hundred years ago (so to speak) but am assuming hte rest

sydneys extra cap space doesnt bother me at all...

it is weird though that people pursuing leisure as a career, who get paid an average of $250,000 a year, need a cost of living allowance.
Leisure? Never seen Jude Bolton play have you? If I'm getting whacked about the head avery 5 minutes, I wanna get paid. If you want me to run 15 km in a game of footy and do the training to get me able to do it, you best offer me something worthwhile

Leisure? Never seen Jude Bolton play have you? If I'm getting whacked about the head avery 5 minutes, I wanna get paid. If you want me to run 15 km in a game of footy and do the training to get me able to do it, you best offer me something worthwhile

come on man, thats well out of context.

of course they deserve to be paid, its a full time job. what im saying is that there are 200,000 guys around the country who would kill for an opportunity to play football at the highest level, and play most weekends for either nothing, or very little.

top athletes are engaging in recreation (granted, at a very serious level) and being paid well to do it. there were no value judgments made in my post other than a cost of living allowance seems silly, considering the high salaries.

come on man, thats well out of context.

of course they deserve to be paid, its a full time job. what im saying is that there are 200,000 guys around the country who would kill for an opportunity to play football at the highest level, and play most weekends for either nothing, or very little.

top athletes are engaging in recreation (granted, at a very serious level) and being paid well to do it. there were no value judgments made in my post other than a cost of living allowance seems silly, considering the high salaries.
Perspective, really. A weekend game with your mates followed by 3 boxes of beer, payment enough, carrying the hopes of 30 - 60k members and the livelihoods of how many club employess? Bit different. They should rename the damn allowance or just put up some figures from the bureau of stats etc. If it was more transparrent we wouldn't be having all this fuss. Nor would we if we had lost the GF, just the usual odd mention on BAy 13 from some fool with a bee in his bonnet. I'll ask for teh 1000th tiime, how do we get equalisation for teh 100 year gap in junior development? Never had a reply to this one

Perspective, really. A weekend game with your mates followed by 3 boxes of beer, payment enough, carrying the hopes of 30 - 60k members and the livelihoods of how many club employess? Bit different. They should rename the damn allowance or just put up some figures from the bureau of stats etc. If it was more transparrent we wouldn't be having all this fuss. Nor would we if we had lost the GF, just the usual odd mention on BAy 13 from some fool with a bee in his bonnet. I'll ask for teh 1000th tiime, how do we get equalisation for teh 100 year gap in junior development? Never had a reply to this one

dude, i dont care that sydney have a bigger cap.

i was very happy for the swans in both '05 and '12, and basically the only reason i even think of it now is due to hawthorn fans whinging about it on bay 13.

my only point is that rich people getting cost of living offsets is strange. much like mick jagger moving to the isle of wight, or wherever the hell he went, to avoid paying tax on his $500 million is strange.

from me - no * next to the swans flag, no complaints as to the cap space being unfair.

either way you spin it though, as robert murphy himself said, they are just guys playing a game.

Oh? What percentage of your AAs last year were recruited compared to drafted?

Recruited? You mean traded for peanuts because they were either rookie listed or told there's no room for them at there current club?

Ah yes how nefarious offering people senior spots and more game time.

Ah yes how nefarious offering people senior spots and more game time.

I didn't say it was nefarious - you said that signing AA players was rare - and I was just wondering how many of the AA players for the Swans last year were signed from other clubs. Given it is "rare" - I would assume it is a low percentage?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney Salary Cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back