Preview Sydney v Bulldogs SCG Sunday 3:20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be surprised if Horse changes things around more than he needs to. Not his form.
Wicks for Papley
Hayward plays if fit, CoWarner if not.
Fox back for Rampe
Mills in to replace Rampe as a number not possies.
CoWarner sub if not in the 22 or Mitchell.
Maybe Heeney rotates forward more.
Alternatively, same troops but Mills plays back and Fox forward.

Well if you want us to drop someone who has currently kicked more goals in a season (with 5+ games still left to play) than Reid ever has, then be my guest. I just can't see Horse going for that.
We can't just hang our hat on club goal tally, and compare an all out FF with no buddy to a second forward who played a heap of ruck and rarely had full seasons. As mentioned above, compare him with Mclean.

On face value other than the adelaide game Amartey rarely looks overly convincing, and his waning effort at the contest can be very obvious at times. A heavily scoring team like ours should have our FF competing for the coleman by default. His goal tally is not that impressive. My way of looking at it is with the amount of bites at the cherry Amartey gets, Reid will simply mark more of em, and he wouldn’t be short of getting to those contests if not more. And Reids kicking aint any better or worse than Amartey’s so I just can’t see how Reid doesn’t end up with more snags as a FF.

We can't just hang our hat on club goal tally, and compare an all out FF with no buddy to a second forward who played a heap of ruck and rarely had full seasons. As mentioned above, compare him with Mclean.

On face value other than the adelaide game Amartey rarely looks overly convincing, and his waning effort at the contest can be very obvious at times. A heavily scoring team like ours should have our FF competing for the coleman by default. His goal tally is not that impressive. My way of looking at it is with the amount of bites at the cherry Amartey gets, Reid will simply mark more of em, and he wouldn’t be short of getting to those contests if not more. And Reids kicking aint any better or worse than Amartey’s so I just can’t see how Reid doesn’t end up with more snags as a FF.
I don't inherently disagree with anything you've said there, but you speak a lot about circumstances.

Reid played second fiddle to Buddy, Reid also rucked, Reid got less supply than he would now, etc.

But if those are the circumstances that Reid thrived in, how do you know he'd thrive in Amartey's current circumstances? Can Reid play as that main forward, rather than as second fiddle to a superstar? Can Reid fit in the forward structure we have this year, rather than that which we had in 2022? Can Reid still impact without his role as a second ruck or does he need that to assert himself on a game?

There's a lot of unknowns there. As I've said, I'm not against him playing, but doing so would mean disrupting something that is known, which is that we have the most potent forward line in the comp.

'..most potent forward line in the comp' (c88)

Goals - 2024 Season (afl.com.au)
Total
Player
Toyota AFL Premiership players ranked by Goals (descending) for the 2024 Toyota AFL Premiership season.
Rank
Player
G

Charlie Curnow
KEYF

Jesse Hogan
KEYF

Ben King
KEYF

Harry McKay
KEYF

Jake Waterman
KEYF

Josh Treacy
KEYF

Jeremy Cameron
KEYF

Joe Daniher
KEYF

Kyle Langford
KEYF

Nick Larkey
KEYF

Joel Amartey
KEYF

Bayley Fritsch
KEYF

Tyson Stengle
FWD

Darcy Fogarty
KEYF

Jake Stringer
FWD

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
KEYF

Mitch Georgiades
KEYF

Toby Greene
FWD

I don't inherently disagree with anything you've said there, but you speak a lot about circumstances.

Reid played second fiddle to Buddy, Reid also rucked, Reid got less supply than he would now, etc.

But if those are the circumstances that Reid thrived in, how do you know he'd thrive in Amartey's current circumstances? Can Reid play as that main forward, rather than as second fiddle to a superstar? Can Reid fit in the forward structure we have this year, rather than that which we had in 2022? Can Reid still impact without his role as a second ruck or does he need that to assert himself on a game?

There's a lot of unknowns there. As I've said, I'm not against him playing, but doing so would mean disrupting something that is known, which is that we have the most potent forward line in the comp.
Yeah fair. I just don't think we'd be disrupting much without Amartey. It's not like he's tearing it apart, crashing packs etc. He's been ok, but no where near trust worthy to the point where we're like 'damn we should've played him he would've been the difference' - because really we have no idea what version of Amartey is rocking up on game day. Now if we were discussing Hamling replacing him then yeah it's probably too unknown to risk it. I just think with Reid we know that we're going to get a competent kpf performance. It's hardly a risk imo.

I feel the club will want to stick with the McLean/Amartey/McDonald trio for the finals because that is likely to be our long term forward partnership. And they have played together all season.

Though I think there would be benefit in resting each of them for a game to keep them fresh. Because I think our tall forwards have played every game this season.

'..most potent forward line in the comp' (c88)

Goals - 2024 Season (afl.com.au)
Total
Player
Toyota AFL Premiership players ranked by Goals (descending) for the 2024 Toyota AFL Premiership season.
Rank
Player
G

Charlie Curnow
KEYF

Jesse Hogan
KEYF

Ben King
KEYF

Harry McKay
KEYF

Jake Waterman
KEYF

Josh Treacy
KEYF

Jeremy Cameron
KEYF

Joe Daniher
KEYF

Kyle Langford
KEYF

Nick Larkey
KEYF

Joel Amartey
KEYF

Bayley Fritsch
KEYF

Tyson Stengle
FWD

Darcy Fogarty
KEYF

Jake Stringer
FWD

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
KEYF

Mitch Georgiades
KEYF

Toby Greene
FWD
At the moment there is nothing to suggest that 9 goal haul wasn't an outlier. Say he kicked his usual 2 in that game - he'd be sitting on 27 goals at the bottom of that list. imo its not that good of a return from a FF in the best team in the comp.

Watching the game live, it appeared we were happy to let them move the ball out of their defence and focus on getting setup behind the ball. Seem to work OK with the Lions forced to eventually go long and we would force a stoppage. Melican, McCartin and Blakey were strong in the air with a bit of help from Grundy. I'd say Naughton, JUH and Darcy are more of a threat than Daniher, Hipwood and debutant ruck, Smith so I would like to see more pressure on Dogs transition out of defence. I think Dogs could carve us up if they get too many entries into our forward line.

At the moment there is nothing to suggest that 9 goal haul wasn't an outlier. Say he kicked his usual 2 in that game - he'd be sitting on 27 goals at the bottom of that list. imo its not that good of a return from a FF in the best team in the comp.
Yes, and in addition, the Doggies' Rory Lobb has been killing it, playing down back for them.
It's going to be a torrid afternoon for our tall forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why isn't it good enough? How often does he get targeted? How many other teams have three legitimate key forwards as we do PLUS a Hayward/Papley/Heeney/Wicks option up forward?

9 goal games are an outlier for any player.

Unfortunately for Joel, 3 goal games are also a bit of an outlier.

Our forward line isn’t outstanding, nor is it the reason we’re atop the ladder.

I suspect any of the 3 could be swapped out for Reid without any major impact.

If you look at Reid's last year played (18 games, 2022) and his 2 best season hauls of 31 and 30, Amartey's already matching his tally of 3 x 3+ goal hauls in a season.

Can make the argument that in-form Reid is better at contesting marking and as an outlet pushing up to the wing, but goals isn't really something to use.

Yeah fair. I just don't think we'd be disrupting much without Amartey. It's not like he's tearing it apart, crashing packs etc. He's been ok, but no where near trust worthy to the point where we're like 'damn we should've played him he would've been the difference' - because really we have no idea what version of Amartey is rocking up on game day. Now if we were discussing Hamling replacing him then yeah it's probably too unknown to risk it. I just think with Reid we know that we're going to get a competent kpf performance. It's hardly a risk imo.
I'd play Reid as CHB

We have the most points for of any team in the comp, and only team averaging over 100 points this season. If ours isn't outstanding then no one's is!

Reid had to foil for Franklin don't forget, and was a second ruck for a long time. A better comparison is to compare Reid's goal output with Mclean, not Amartey. Amartey has the privilege of being a FF post buddy in a very good team.

As an all out FF, would Reid out perform Amartey? i honestly think he would. It's not like you have to be Wayne Carey level to outperform Amartey. With our service our FF should be challenging the coleman, or at least be somewhat close to the leaders.

Reid hasn't played at this level for 2 years and yeah as you say he played 2nd or even 3rd fiddle and what did he do?

Amartey has the privilege of being a FF post buddy? So he takes the best defenders you mean?

I don't think we have any evidence at his age and time out of the Game Reid can do more than Amartey is now, he has struggled to most of his career.

People say to take Amarteys 9 out as an outlier , then Take Reid's 22 year out and assess his career? He lets us down more often than not.

Im not completely against the idea, I mean whoever the coaches think will win the game for us. But Reid is always rated so highly here when he isn't playing.

I think Reid has played more disappointing non contest games than Amartey has that's for sure and 2 years later can he give us anything? I agree his best is good, but so is Joel's.

Maybe the answer is actually Hamling if we change it up?

Again the idea of changing is one thing, but just how certain people are Reid can deliver when he so often doesn't in his career surprises me.

Reid in to play a negative role on Lobb and just make sure it’s a contest. Wicks to sit at feet.

Not going to happen just musing
I think this makes sense, I was thinking yesterday we should tag Andrews to give him a bit more to think about.

Let’s get a good chunk of the vfl team in this week. No more risks on Hayward, amartey, rowie or Mills (if he’s sore) plus any other player that needs it eg Grundy

Can not see us winning this one and don’t want us to if it’s at risk of further injury. But if the vfl boys have a crack who knows what could happen and could be the hitout they need and we might uncover some talent. Eg Corey who looked good today.

I like fast players.

Why aren't we winning this one

Let's say Papley and Rampe are out, and heck it Rowbottom and Mills stay out and geez take Hayward too.

Last I checked we still have Blakey Heeney Gulden Warner- all supposed to be AA locks. We have one of the games best rucks, three good tall forwards who have at least shown what they can do. Mccartin and Melican

Lloyd, florent etc etc. It's still a good side

We are also at home , surely a bit easier for any VFL guys stepping up.

Bulldogs are 9th for a reason- they are average

Sam Reid has kicked 3 goals or more in 11% of his career games .

Amartey is at 13% ... an outlier for both of them isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back