Preview Sydney v Bulldogs SCG Sunday 3:20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowbottom back on fire too😂

His last post was actually saying Sam Reid was the most overrated swans player on big footy, so maybe he does come in and kick 6 😂

GUH’s last post was a simple “Sam Reid?” statement on the Gus Sheldrick thread.

If both are selected this week, I’ll take it as divine intervention.

Last edited:
Yeah it is tempting to play Francis as the 3rd tall defender for one week to cover the 3 bulldog talls. Keep Fox as a forward who can be moved back if required.

It may also allow Blakey more attacking freedom if we are not relying on him as much to mark their key forwards.
Like with Brisbane the Dogs talls are most dangerous on the lead. Blocking the leading lanes and the mids working hard to prevent quick entries will be crucial. It isn't just about height. Problem as I see it is that Cunningham, Florent, Roberts and Lloyd if he plays back can't contest. We need another contest player or surrender Blakey to lockdown. Francis is the obvious although Fox can do a fair job. Cunningham needs to play on a small. I would be leaving Roberts out.
Cunningham McCartin Melican
Florent Francis Blakey Fox

IN- Mills, Sheldrick, Rowbottom

OUT - Papley, Florent, Rampe

I get these ins might not be possible given the outs.

Shuffle the deck chairs.

I think it’s important to get Sheldrick going in the 1s, he’s going to be awesome for us come September. Bookmark it.

IN- Mills, Sheldrick, Rowbottom

OUT - Papley, Florent, Rampe

I get these ins might not be possible given the outs.

Shuffle the deck chairs.

I think it’s important to get Sheldrick going in the 1s, he’s going to be awesome for us come September. Bookmark it.
Sheldrick for me is an interesting one.

Watching him in reserves, he doesn't really tear it up and often struggles nailing his kicks. But he is a hard worker and tough at the contest.

But then there were a few games last year in seniors where he looked the real deal, combining laser like accuracy by foot with his toughness. Definitely sent off Parker vibes but a much better kick.

I think he might be a victim of our poor VFL team connection and in seniors, benefits from a better game plan and structure. If we can / need to play him, then let's do it!

GUH’s last post was a simple “Sam Reid?” statement on the Gus Sheldrick thread.

If both are selected this week, I’ll take it as divine intervention.
Correction. It was

A question similar to “it’s all stars?” If you know your literature

But 69% game time when two rotations down is alarming for a supposedly fit midfielder.
I guess I'm questioning his fitness. Perhaps carrying an injury.

Maybe, but I also think Horse kept the midfield rotations and used Hayward as the guy stationery forward , stuck to the usual plan for the midfield

Well at least the suggestion of Sammy Reid coming back is now off the table once and for all.

A sad end for him - injuries really have badly cruelled his career. He will still always be a Swans Premiership player, and he had years where his body allowed him to show just how talented he was as a footballer. Just a shame his body didn't hold up and let him really become the player he could have been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reid heard me calling for his inclusion lol
Hahaha now the real story comes out :p

angry monday night raw GIF by WWE

If Amartey is in need of a week off, the other option is to bring Hamling in, to play up forward and have Fox down back. Swap if the Dogs talls are on top and we need some more height. That or move Heeney up forward, keep both down back.

Amartey shouldn't need a week off right now, but even Chad could play as a "sort of forward" with Shedrick coming in too. Don't hate us playing Heeney forward last round or two anyway

Sheldrick for me is an interesting one.

Watching him in reserves, he doesn't really tear it up and often struggles nailing his kicks. But he is a hard worker and tough at the contest.

But then there were a few games last year in seniors where he looked the real deal, combining laser like accuracy by foot with his toughness. Definitely sent off Parker vibes but a much better kick.

I think he might be a victim of our poor VFL team connection and in seniors, benefits from a better game plan and structure. If we can / need to play him, then let's do it!
Have said this a few times but I feel like Sheldrick may not be suited to being that main rover. When he plays that role in the VFL his skills just look so sloppy and his style of play just a bit messy, for lack of better words.

The aforementioned few games he played last year where he looked kinda quality with his ball use he was mostly playing as a third or fourth mid, with relatively low inside rotations and a contested possession rate in the 30s and low 40s. I could be wrong but I'd be willing to bet he usually goes at over 50% contested possession rate in the VFL playing as that primary rover, and it shows.

I thought I read that Amartey had tweaked something. If fit then he plays.

If he has don't risk him, and just go with two talls, and don't you dare go two rucks Horse! Not as if against the Dogs at the SCH you need talls hey our mids might lower their eyes for the first time in two months. Parker forward for mine is the obvious one anyway

Don't agree with Wicks or Francis. Wicks was very lacklustre in the 2s and Francis is just scary with his disposal.

Reid is fit and ready to play, Sheldrick is a no brainer, Mills was supposedly managed so should be back and would be the sensible replacement for Rampe.

If Amartey or Heeney are also rested then Hamling is fit and has reliable disposal, and Magor, who was our third highest rated player in the 2s, and has excellent disposal should play as the sub .

Extra height would be appropriate in his game given the dogs surfeit of tall marking players

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
I agree with this. If we rest players then certainly Hamling could come in. Gus & Magor are worthy. Mills definitely will come back. I think Rowie will be ready too. A hairline fracture is 2 weeks. He did it 2 weeks ago by the time we play, so should be good to go. Several people are saying Reid but he got injured & retired. What's more, he was getting only about 10-15 disposals & Hamling is averaging around 20 & a couple of goals. Michell didn't seem to have a big game last week. Cleary was obviously good. I think our mid stocks are really good.

Yeah it is tempting to play Francis as the 3rd tall defender for one week to cover the 3 bulldog talls. Keep Fox as a forward who can be moved back if required.

It may also allow Blakey more attacking freedom if we are not relying on him as much to mark their key forwards.

Francis is the "safe" option but he's a known quantity, and I'd be really curious to see how Will Edwards steps up. Would be good to have both options in our back pocket come finals.

Well at least the suggestion of Sammy Reid coming back is now off the table once and for all.

A sad end for him - injuries really have badly cruelled his career. He will still always be a Swans Premiership player, and he had years where his body allowed him to show just how talented he was as a footballer. Just a shame his body didn't hold up and let him really become the player he could have been.
Sammy retires achieving far more than many, many other players.
His seemingly constant injuries frustrated the hell out of us, imagine how it must have felt for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back