Preview Sydney v Bulldogs SCG Sunday 3:20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Francis is the "safe" option but he's a known quantity, and I'd be really curious to see how Will Edwards steps up. Would be good to have both options in our back pocket come finals.

Francis and the word “safe option”

Now I’ve seen it all

I want to be optimistic about this game but geez no Rampe, Rowbottom, Papley and McInerney is so ****ing grim.
Who says there is no Rowie? According to the injury list his was a two week hairline fracture. Horse said he'd probably be good to go this week. Gus also comes in with Mills. Parker plays more time forward. I said he could play that Papley role & someone said he was too slow. There are different ways of playing the small forward role. They don't all have to be Papley or Cameron. They could be Parker, taking marks over a small defender would be easy & he roves packs better than most. No need to despair.

Who says there is no Rowie? According to the injury list his was a two week hairline fracture. Horse said he'd probably be good to go this week. Gus also comes in with Mills. Parker plays more time forward. I said he could play that Papley role & someone said he was too slow. There are different ways of playing the small forward role. They don't all have to be Papley or Cameron. They could be Parker, taking marks over a small defender would be easy & he roves packs better than most. No need to despair.
Hairline fractures, I mean NRL players play with them. A hairline fracture is an injury you can play with, even an in the clinches type like Rowbottom. Not part of the injury update either?

Early week guess about our team v Bulldogs:
B Cunningham McCartin Melican
HB Fox Blakey Roberts
C Gulden Chad Lloyd
HF Campbell McDonald Heeney
F Wicks Reid McLean
Foll Grundy Adams Parker
Res Florent Corey Cleary Sheldrick
Sub Mitchell

Outs Papley Rampe Amartey Hayward
Ins Wicks Cleary Sheldrick Mitchell

Predicting Mills not ready, Rowie another week, Amartey and Willbur don't get up.

Corey play on a wing, Cleary as a pressure forward especially as he has been prepared for this role as per earlier interview with Horse, Sheldrick mid.

Forgot about Jordan. Would have him in the lineup instead of Mitchell with Wicks as Sub
Mills was rested. He will be ready. Rowie will also be back. Hairline fracture, 2 weeks at most. It will be 2 weeks Saturday. Agree Sheldrick. By all accounts Mitchell was ordinary in the Twos. Wicks the same.

Hairline fractures, I mean NRL players play with them. A hairline fracture is an injury you can play with, even an in the clinches type like Rowbottom. Not part of the injury update either?
Horse, in his presser said he had a hairline fracture. NRL player will play with their eye hanging out, that is not a fair comparison. In Aussie Rules players will target you if they know you are carrying an injury. An accidentally deliberate shoulder or forearm to the head etc. That is why you always rest a player who has a airline fracture. Because if he gets constantly hit in the area, it could get worse & require surgery.

Agree with this take. Parley is a blow, however a Parker for a particular type of o cover would be considered, otherwise it’s an opportunity for Wicks to put the big boy pants on to stand and deliver….he does the pressure well and the opportunity to be a more offensive small forward just might be what he needs. Mills adds and I think if we consider Blakeys form last week, if he can turn that around he will be like a new in as well. Gus may well get his chance, his disposal by foot does concern me, or the wildcard may be Magor? I am thinking we won’t go a like for like replacement…..well there really isn’t one is there?

Remember the travelling Dogs are a little vulnerable as well. This is probably a 50/50 like last week, we may even be slight favourites. Dogs, like Blues and dare I say Lions, are not as strong as the Meejah are making out.

Horse, in his presser said he had a hairline fracture. NRL player will play with their eye hanging out, that is not a fair comparison. In Aussie Rules players will target you if they know you are carrying an injury. An accidentally deliberate shoulder or forearm to the head etc. That is why you always rest a player who has an airline fracture. Because if he gets constantly hit in the area, it could get worse & require surgery.
Trust me, an NRL player absolutely gets targeted, and it’s just as easy to do it and the chance of impact on it is arguably greater. It’s a reasonable comparison. You can wear a modified headgear as well to help w protection. He has been rested so the ability to come back in should be there now.

Agree with this take. Parley is a blow, however a Parker for a particular type of o cover would be considered, otherwise it’s an opportunity for Wicks to put the big boy pants on to stand and deliver….he does the pressure well and the opportunity to be a more offensive small forward just might be what he needs. Mills adds and I think if we consider Blakeys form last week, if he can turn that around he will be like a new in as well. Gus may well get his chance, his disposal by foot does concern me, or the wildcard may be Magor? I am thinking we won’t go a like for like replacement…..well there really isn’t one is there?

Remember the travelling Dogs are a little vulnerable as well. This is probably a 50/50 like last week, we may even be slight favourites. Dogs, like Blues and dare I say Lions, are not as strong as the Meejah are making out.
Gotta say I'm a little surprised at how much we are favoured for this by the bookies.

Gotta say I'm a little surprised at how much we are favoured for this by the bookies.
It’s interesting isn’t it, The good thing is they only speak through their kick, and clearly are not observers of the Swans Bf board!

Sheldrick for me is an interesting one.

Watching him in reserves, he doesn't really tear it up and often struggles nailing his kicks. But he is a hard worker and tough at the contest.

But then there were a few games last year in seniors where he looked the real deal, combining laser like accuracy by foot with his toughness. Definitely sent off Parker vibes but a much better kick.

I think he might be a victim of our poor VFL team connection and in seniors, benefits from a better game plan and structure. If we can / need to play him, then let's do it!

Gus is one game back from a long lay off. You can't expect him to be at his best in his first game. But he will be very valuable in & under. His disposal will improve the more game time he gets. He got 29 disposals I believe. That is a pretty good tally on what I would presume would have been limited game time.

Why is there poor VFL team connection? The coach is supposed to use the same game plan as the seniors. It is up to the coach to ensure everyone is on the same page. I don't think he does. I have not watched a great deal this season. I do not like what I see in the reserves. Even when we had all our listed players at the start of the year I thought the coach was wasting opportunities. He seems to like the long bomb into our forward line. I know our reserves are very tall up forward. But this is totally against what we are doing, or trying to do in the Seniors. The other thing I was annoyed about was the constant kicks along the boundary or going wide when there were options in the centre. It was frustrating to watch. Ignored leads etc. This stinks of a very different game plan due to the players being far taller. Having 3 rucks etc. Hamling, Buller, Green etc up forward.

I’m not. Home game sunny day. Played awful last week and lost by 2 points. Dogs beat a cooked Cats side remind me what we did to them again?

Why is there poor VFL team connection? The coach is supposed to use the same game plan as the seniors. It is up to the coach to ensure everyone is on the same page. I don't think he does. I have not watched a great deal this season. I do not like what I see in the reserves. Even when we had all our listed players at the start of the year I thought the coach was wasting opportunities. He seems to like the long bomb into our forward line. I know our reserves are very tall up forward. But this is totally against what we are doing, or trying to do in the Seniors. The other thing I was annoyed about was the constant kicks along the boundary or going wide when there were options in the centre. It was frustrating to watch. Ignored leads etc. This stinks of a very different game plan due to the players being far taller. Having 3 rucks etc. Hamling, Buller, Green etc up forward.
I made this point at the start of the year re playing all our tall reserve players stifling the development of the other players.

Francis is the "safe" option but he's a known quantity, and I'd be really curious to see how Will Edwards steps up. Would be good to have both options in our back pocket come finals.
I would also like to see him tried out but looking at him in the 2s he seems to have knocked about by the leg infection he had, which must have been pretty serious and required some pretty hefty antibiotics. He seems to have lost a lot of fitness as a result.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horse just said Mills will be back. It was just
"tightness".

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Big inclusion but I really hope this isn't a in one week, tightness the next week. More interested whether Rowy gets up he was a massive loss last week

Sheldrick for me is an interesting one.

Watching him in reserves, he doesn't really tear it up and often struggles nailing his kicks. But he is a hard worker and tough at the contest.

But then there were a few games last year in seniors where he looked the real deal, combining laser like accuracy by foot with his toughness. Definitely sent off Parker vibes but a much better kick.

I think he might be a victim of our poor VFL team connection and in seniors, benefits from a better game plan and structure. If we can / need to play him, then let's do it!
I think you're right. Going back to his junior days, Sheldrick's strengths were:

(a) an uncanny ability to get the hard ball;
(b) the skill to distribute off either side (by hand & foot);
(c) a nice short, sharp burst of speed; and
(d) remarkable toughness & courage.

He's not Errol. He doesn't always pin-point the kick & can sometimes rush his disposals.

Although he racks up disposals in the VFL, I think Gus doesn't quite shine there for the same reason Parker didn't. They both get plenty of the ball, but don't have the class runners around them in the VFL, so they get forced into rushed kicks forward.

Put Gus in among a midfield of Chad, Rowy, Heeney & Errol .... different story.

I am slightly concerned if we lose another quick, dynamic player (Papley after JMac) but replace them with slower guys. We lose some of our rebound and ability to break past opponents, or get into space to receive when we do rebound.

Especially if we're getting Mills and Rowy back, with only Paps out as a small, it puts the likes of Fox, Campbell and Corey W as potential sub or out, when I'd be wanting all 3 in, since they're important and/or have some of what we're losing.

Mills may go back, so then Fox, who should not be dropped or sub, goes forward. Do we then need a full game from both Adams and Parker with Rowy back (not that either were poor, though we didn't use Parker at CBs a lot, and he didn't get much of it forward). If Mills goes forward, same question really.

Last edited:
I think you're right. Going back to his junior days, Sheldrick's strengths were:

(a) an uncanny ability to get the hard ball;
(b) the skill to distribute off either side (by hand & foot);
(c) a nice short, sharp burst of speed; and
(d) remarkable toughness & courage.

He's not Errol. He doesn't always pin-point the kick & can sometimes rush his disposals.

Although he racks up disposals in the VFL, I think Gus doesn't quite shine there for the same reason Parker didn't. They both get plenty of the ball, but don't have the class runners around them in the VFL, so they get forced into rushed kicks forward.

Put Gus in among a midfield of Chad, Rowy, Heeney & Errol .... different story.
Agree. Everyone looks ordinary n the VFL for some reason.

So DQ, has he sufficiently recovered from injury and is he running out this week ?

Has to be close to it.

when two rotations down is alarming

Everyone keeps saying this and it feels like I missed something, but we were only one rotation down by my calculations. Rampe went off but was replaced by Warner. Hayward stayed on and played well. We were only Papley down.

Injury report looks alot better 48 hours down the track. Papley, Rampe and McInerney definite outs, Hayward and Rowie appear to be tests and Amartey not even mentioned. Mills all but certain to play although I doubt he will go on ball. So hopefully only a few changes for this week.

AFL Star Sam Reid Retires, Becomes Full-Time Menace to Shopkeepers

Sydney, Australia
– In a surprising twist, former AFL player Sam Reid, who announced his retirement earlier today, has already made a name for himself off the field. Known for his tenacity and resilience during his career with the Sydney Swans, Reid has now turned his focus to becoming a full-time nuisance to shopkeepers and retail assistants across Sydney.

Reid, who played over 150 games and was a pivotal player in the Swans’ lineup, seemed to transition seamlessly into his new role. Within hours of his retirement announcement, reports flooded in from various retail establishments about Reid’s troublesome antics. From haggling over prices to causing commotion in the aisles, his presence has left many retail staff at their wit's end.

One shop assistant at a local grocery store recounted her experience. “He came in and immediately started rearranging the shelves, insisting he knew a better way to display the products. When we asked him to stop, he just laughed and continued on, knocking things over in the process,” she said, visibly distressed.

Another shop owner described Reid's behavior as disruptive. “He entered the store and began a loud argument over the price of a product, claiming it was overpriced and demanding a discount. When I refused, he started loudly critiquing the store layout and the quality of the goods.”

In a particularly bizarre incident, Reid was reported at a Red Rooster demanding "fresh" ice for his drink. According to witnesses, he refused to accept the ice provided, insisting that it wasn’t fresh enough and causing a scene until the staff managed to appease him. "He was adamant that the ice had to be freshly made, as if he was still competing on the field and needed the perfect refreshment," said one bemused employee.

Reid’s sudden shift in career has not gone unnoticed by the public. Social media is abuzz with humorous takes and memes about his new role. However, for the retail workers on the front lines, it’s no laughing matter. The unexpected encounters have left many feeling stressed and overwhelmed.

To support retail staff during these challenging times, the Retail Workers Support Hotline has extended its services. They offer confidential counseling and support for those who may find themselves on the receiving end of Reid’s antics or any other workplace stress.

Retail Workers Support Hotline: 1800 555 676

Retail staff are encouraged to reach out if they need someone to talk to or require professional guidance in handling difficult customers. The hotline is available 24/7, ensuring help is always just a phone call away.

As Sam Reid adjusts to life after football, it remains to be seen whether he will continue his reign of retail terror or find a new post-retirement hobby. For now, shopkeepers and retail assistants across Sydney are advised to stay vigilant and keep the support hotline number close at hand.

Injury report looks alot better 48 hours down the track. Papley, Rampe and McInerney definite outs, Hayward and Rowie appear to be tests and Amartey not even mentioned. Mills all but certain to play although I doubt he will go on ball. So hopefully only a few changes for this week.

Papley’s injury has been reviewed apparently - no break so more likely 4 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back