Preview Sydney v Bulldogs SCG Sunday 3:20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wicks in for Paps, regardless of twos form I thought he was stiff to dropped in the first place

I’m not against Francis in for Ramps either given the Dog’s tall forward line

Definitely need one of Mills, Rowbum back this week
Mills will come in for Rampe. Not an exact like for like, Fox will play in defence and play tall

I wouldn't be opposed to pushing Florent up the wing. He's been getting caught out when under pressure lately and will be doing better with a little more space

Assuming that Rowbottom, Mills and Hayward are available:
B Cunningham McCartin Melican
HB Florent Francis Blakey
C Gulden ChWarner Lloyd
HF Jordon McDonald Adams
F Wicks Amartey Hayward
Foll Grundy Heeney Rowbottom
IC Mills Fox Parker McLean CoWarner(sub)
If Francis is not picked Fox goes back, CoWarner in and either Sheldrick 🤞 or Cleary as sub.
I'd like to see McLean getting physical against English. Give Grundy some help.

Man they have a lot of quality talls Darcy probably the biggest threat as we have no matchup for him well nobody does he is that tall!

English was back to form against Geelong they will probably try and run Grundy ragged with Lobb

Absolute nightmare for our defence this week regardless if Rampe was playing

Last edited:
Lobb is playing Key Defender now so will take McLean or Amartey.

I think we’ll bounce back but we need to get our starts correct. Cannot keep coming from behind and expecting it to just happen

Sheldrick for me is an interesting one.

Watching him in reserves, he doesn't really tear it up and often struggles nailing his kicks. But he is a hard worker and tough at the contest.

But then there were a few games last year in seniors where he looked the real deal, combining laser like accuracy by foot with his toughness. Definitely sent off Parker vibes but a much better kick.

I think he might be a victim of our poor VFL team connection and in seniors, benefits from a better game plan and structure. If we can / need to play him, then let's do it!
Yeah I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. He prob just needs game time to sort that kicking out as well not much continuity for him this year.

See above. C88 desperately trying to avoid the inevitable.

Angus Sheldrick was Sydney’s best with 29 touches, nine clearances, eight entries and a goal. Support came from Caiden Cleary (21 disposals, nine tackles, one goal) and comeback player Nic Shipley (24 disposals).

Peter Ladhams (20 disposals, two goals) impressed up forward alongside Matty Lloyd (18 disposals, three goals), with Aaron Francis (22 disposals, seven marks, eight rebounds) and Jaiden Magor (24 disposals, six marks) again leading the defence.

Full reviews: https://www.afl.com.au/news/1179159/review-smithys-vfl-round-17
They forgot to mention Sheldricks disposal efficiency of 44.8%. Given we have been scored off turnovers a fair bit late I am not one who is convinced he is the answer.

Agree with this take. Parley is a blow, however a Parker for a particular type of o cover would be considered, otherwise it’s an opportunity for Wicks to put the big boy pants on to stand and deliver….he does the pressure well and the opportunity to be a more offensive small forward just might be what he needs. Mills adds and I think if we consider Blakeys form last week, if he can turn that around he will be like a new in as well. Gus may well get his chance, his disposal by foot does concern me, or the wildcard may be Magor? I am thinking we won’t go a like for like replacement…..well there really isn’t one is there?

Remember the travelling Dogs are a little vulnerable as well. This is probably a 50/50 like last week, we may even be slight favourites. Dogs, like Blues and dare I say Lions, are not as strong as the Meejah are making out.
Wicks def needs those big boy pants to come on right now. This next 6 weeks could define his career.

They forgot to mention Sheldricks disposal efficiency of 44.8%. Given we have been scored off turnovers a fair bit late I am not one who is convinced he is the answer.
So never pick him? Might as well trade him then.
When he got continuity last year his efficiency was fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone keeps saying this and it feels like I missed something, but we were only one rotation down by my calculations. Rampe went off but was replaced by Warner. Hayward stayed on and played well. We were only Papley down.
It’s positional problems in addition rather than simply numbers down. You think C Warner could come on and do what Papley and Rampe can?

Thoughts on how we approach our Lobb this weekend considering how Andrews dominated on the weekend? I know the obvious answer is to lower the eyes but this seems to be easier said than done. Mclean best match?

I'd be derelict in my duties if I didn't mention this.

Take a BIG coat for sunday arvo.
Latest models have a surge of cold air coming up the coast on sunday arvo.
Cold enough for snow on the Southern Tablelands and Central areas. If there is moisture.

Thoughts on how we approach our Lobb this weekend considering how Andrews dominated on the weekend? I know the obvious answer is to lower the eyes but this seems to be easier said than done. Mclean best match?
Drop Amartey for Reid..

All jokes aside the obvious answer is Amartey pulling his finger out and playing with some energy. Him and Mcdonald (to a lesser extent) get led to the ball by their opponent way too often. If all 3 work the space together + Hayward, that's 4 marking options essentially covering the forward 50 - when the ball is launched in there really is no excuse for no one being able to meet the drop of the ball.

It's going to be a heavily contested game so expect to see hacks forward, they must be prepared for it.

On Lobb: I'd probably be more concerned if he played as a forward, wouldn't be the first time he's towelled us up.

So never pick him? Might as well trade him then.
When he got continuity last year his efficiency was fine.

So he needs continuity then, best to get that in the VFL.

Worth reminding people that the Pies dropped 3 from 4 around this time last year.

Melbourne did as well in ‘21.

Both teams were 11-2 halfway through the year. It happens.
I get the feeling that clubs at the pointy end around round 15-18, with genuine finals aspirations, tend to optimize training loads/volumes for performance in September instead of week to week performance

My concern is that the VFL is not the best platform for our players to press their case. Most times they just look like a disorganised rabble.
If your efficiency is as it is in the VFL, with the step upto AFL, and a faster, higher pressure environment, it’s a risk to play anyone with those numbers when the turnover game is where most teams get their scores…If the VFL isn’t the best platform, where is the best platform?

Ed Richards spanked us last time, we had no answer to him. Not so confident going into this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back