Preview Sydney v Bulldogs SCG Sunday 3:20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ed Richards spanked us last time, we had no answer to him. Not so confident going into this one
He spanked us until he got injured, which was the turning point in the match.

Ed Richards is, to my eye, the most improved player in the AFL since the shift into the mids. His speed troubled us last time. A lot.

He spanked us until he got injured, which was the turning point in the match.

Ed Richards is, to my eye, the most improved player in the AFL since the shift into the mids. His speed troubled us last time. A lot.

Again tho i dont get the dogs they should be a lot higher than their ladder position very inconsistent look like a top 4 side one week then the next barely top 8 standard.

Thoughts on how we approach our Lobb this weekend considering how Andrews dominated on the weekend? I know the obvious answer is to lower the eyes but this seems to be easier said than done. Mclean best match?

Jones will be back too

From Horse's press conference it sounds like Warner & Parker may be spending a decent amount of time forward, so there may be a need for reinforcements in the centre bounces.

I'd be comfortable bringing Sheldrick in this week if it was based on his ball-use. For me, as I've said many times, it comes down to contested possession rate. In the West Coast game last year where Sheldrick received the Rising Star nomination, Sheldrick had a contested possession rate of 41.3%. In the following game - the Geelong draw - where he was voted amongst the best on ground for us by this very board, he had a contested possession rate of 28.6%. These aren't exactly low rates, but they're not that high either, probably because he was playing third or fourth fiddle to any combination of Parker, Rowbottom and Warner.

In the VFL he plays the primary rover role as that first touch mid as our reserves side's best and, now, most-experienced mid. For comparison, here's the contested possession rates of some of the AFL's best rovers:

Rowell - 59%
Yeo - 57.6%
Rowbottom - 54.2%
Liberatore - 53.9%
Cripps - 53.3%
Dangerfield - 52.9%
Bontempelli - 51.2%
Mitchell - 50.8%

It's not unreasonable to say that that's the kind of heat that is on Sheldrick's possession in the VFL. It's a lower standard, but he's actually under more physical pressure in the reserves than he was when he played midfield in the seniors because of that role shift.

So I think it really depends on what capacity we'd be using Sheldrick if we brought him in. Between Heeney, Rowbottom (hopefully?) and arguably even Grundy, there wouldn't be much need for Sheldrick to play as that sort of rover that we drafted him as and, so far, hasn't shown a huge amount of potential in in the VFL. I dare say he'd even spend a decent amount of time forward to ease rotations. If we brought him in to simply be another hard body, a supporting act to that main posse, like he was in last year, then I'd back Sheldrick and his ball use in to repeat what we saw last year.

However after all of this, I don't think it's his ball-use that's the factor this week. I think Sheldrick's match-fitness just two games in from his return from injury, as well as the availability of Rowbottom & Mills, are the bigger factors.

From Horse's press conference it sounds like Warner & Parker may be spending a decent amount of time forward, so there may be a need for reinforcements in the centre bounces.

I'd be comfortable bringing Sheldrick in this week if it was based on his ball-use. For me, as I've said many times, it comes down to contested possession rate. In the West Coast game last year where Sheldrick received the Rising Star nomination, Sheldrick had a contested possession rate of 41.3%. In the following game - the Geelong draw - where he was voted amongst the best on ground for us by this very board, he had a contested possession rate of 28.6%. These aren't exactly low rates, but they're not that high either, probably because he was playing third or fourth fiddle to any combination of Parker, Rowbottom and Warner.

In the VFL he plays the primary rover role as that first touch mid as our reserves side's best and, now, most-experienced mid. For comparison, here's the contested possession rates of some of the AFL's best rovers:

Rowell - 59%
Yeo - 57.6%
Rowbottom - 54.2%
Liberatore - 53.9%
Cripps - 53.3%
Dangerfield - 52.9%
Bontempelli - 51.2%
Mitchell - 50.8%

It's not unreasonable to say that that's the kind of heat that is on Sheldrick's possession in the VFL. It's a lower standard, but he's actually under more physical pressure in the reserves than he was when he played midfield in the seniors because of that role shift.

So I think it really depends on what capacity we'd be using Sheldrick if we brought him in. Between Heeney, Rowbottom (hopefully?) and arguably even Grundy, there wouldn't be much need for Sheldrick to play as that sort of rover that we drafted him as and, so far, hasn't shown a huge amount of potential in in the VFL. I dare say he'd even spend a decent amount of time forward to ease rotations. If we brought him in to simply be another hard body, a supporting act to that main posse, like he was in last year, then I'd back Sheldrick and his ball use in to repeat what we saw last year.

However after all of this, I don't think it's his ball-use that's the factor this week. I think Sheldrick's match-fitness just two games in from his return from injury, as well as the availability of Rowbottom & Mills, are the bigger factors.
If Hayward doesn't get up (or someone else) and Corey comes into the side I'd like to see Gus get a run as the sub. An opportunity to see where he's at and provide a fresh hard body late in the game.

Rowbottom and Mills for Papley and Rampe. We'll need to shuffle a couple things around but still a strong list.

If Hayward isn't available Sheldrick, Cleary or Mitchell. Whichever they feel has had the best form.

The worst out of all this is our forward line is taking a hit. I could see Wicks coming back as well

If your efficiency is as it is in the VFL, with the step upto AFL, and a faster, higher pressure environment, it’s a risk to play anyone with those numbers when the turnover game is where most teams get their scores…If the VFL isn’t the best platform, where is the best platform?
Not so much the actual VFL competition, more the approach of our VFL side.

Rowbottom and Mills for Papley and Rampe. We'll need to shuffle a couple things around but still a strong list.

If Hayward isn't available Sheldrick, Cleary or Mitchell. Whichever they feel has had the best form.

The worst out of all this is our forward line is taking a hit. I could see Wicks coming back as well
As much as what we're all excited re Corey, Wicks has to come in for this run home to be primed for finals. He simply is the more impactful and experienced player at this stage, and tbh he wasn't horrendous in those couple of 'out of form' weeks (not any more so than others anyway). And With Papley out, it's a very obvious choice imo. So if rowy and mills are also in, it's going to mean Corey is out. A fully fit and firing best 22 has Wicks in it as demonstrated throughout our winning run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as what we're all excited re Corey, Wicks has to come in for this run home to be primed for finals. He simply is the more impactful and experienced player at this stage, and tbh he wasn't horrendous in those couple of 'out of form' weeks (not any more so than others anyway). And With Papley out, it's a very obvious choice imo. So if rowy and mills are also in, it's going to mean Corey is out. A fully fit and firing best 22 has Wicks in it as demonstrated throughout our winning run.
I didn't think Wicks deserved to be dropped either, but don't feel he's done enough to be pulled back into seniors.

Competition is very strong right now and you have to back whoever is in the best form

I didn't think Wicks deserved to be dropped either, but don't feel he's done enough to be pulled back into seniors.

Competition is very strong right now and you have to back whoever is in the best form
Horses for courses. Selection isn’t always fully determined on form in the 2s

The elephant in the room, if I may...

What has James Jordon brought to the team over the last month?

If he's had negating roles on players, they haven't been effective. We've been getting killed by flankers and wingmen every week. If he hasn't had negating roles, he's not really offered enough beyond them.

Getting 15 touches a game in that time, which isn't bad, but he hasn't felt particularly damaging and if anything, I feel like he's fumbly and panicked of late.

He's probably earned some good faith but geez he'd want to lift.

He hasn't gotten injured.

I mean that seriously though, the last 2 weeks if everyone had stayed fit and Mills wasn't sore etc, then he may have been the guy looked at more closely.

Last year we beat them by 2 points at the SCG. We were only average tbh, Florent was great from memory.

But we laid like 80-90 tackles IIRC, the pressure was outstanding .

Last week we laid 48

Last edited:

If he's had negating roles on players, they haven't been effective. We've been getting killed by flankers and wingmen every week. If he hasn't had negating roles, he's not really offered enough beyond them.

Getting 15 touches a game in that time, which isn't bad, but he hasn't felt particularly damaging and if anything, I feel like he's fumbly and panicked of late.

He's probably earned some good faith but geez he'd want to lift.
If you're not going to always be damaging, you atleast have to be competent. JJ is at the very least competent in gathering the footy and with ball in hand (unlike a few others currently).

If he was making howlers then that's a different story, but he's not. Sometimes you just need to accept that some players in certain matchups will coast through a game without much opportunity for impact, but also without doing a heap wrong. I think Wicks is also a symptom of this. But it's all worth it when they have their moments.

If you're not going to always be damaging, you atleast have to be competent. JJ is at the very least competent in gathering the footy and with ball in hand (unlike a few others currently).

If he was making howlers then that's a different story, but he's not. Sometimes you just need to accept that some players in certain matchups will coast through a game without much opportunity for impact, but also without doing a heap wrong. I think Wicks is also a symptom of this. But it's all worth it when they have their moments.
I've got no problem with such players per se.

However if the conversation is potentially someone like Campbell or Warner Jr. or Fox being dropped or moved down to sub... then I think it's worth Jordon being part of that conversation. Because I thought they were all better than Jordon against Brisbane, and I don't think he's been overly effective in the weeks prior, either.

I'm less baying for blood and more thinking, "Well if someone's gotta go..."

I've got no problem with such players per se.

However if the conversation is potentially someone like Campbell or Warner Jr. or Fox being dropped or moved down to sub... then I think it's worth Jordon being part of that conversation. Because I thought they were all better than Jordon against Brisbane, and I don't think he's been overly effective in the weeks prior, either.

I'm less baying for blood and more thinking, "Well if someone's gotta go..."
This fits with what I've said about losing Papley, Jmac in recent weeks, potentially "replacing" them with Parker, Mills, Rowy types and moving the likes of Fox, Campbell, Corey to sub or out.

We're making the team slower, less able to force or capitalise on turnover etc, and losing what Papley, JMac offer without trying to replace it. If you free JJ up, maybe he replaces Jmac, but his strength has been run-with roles.

If we're bringing Mills and Rowy back, and we have a specific player for JJ to run with (Richards, Dale although I'd go Fox or Mills for him), then I think there's only 2 options in that slower mid category to move out to sub. Adams or Parker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back