Preview Sydney v Bulldogs SCG Sunday 3:20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The elephant in the room, if I may...

What has James Jordon brought to the team over the last month?

If he's had negating roles on players, they haven't been effective. We've been getting killed by flankers and wingmen every week. If he hasn't had negating roles, he's not really offered enough beyond them.

Getting 15 touches a game in that time, which isn't bad, but he hasn't felt particularly damaging and if anything, I feel like he's fumbly and panicked of late.

He's probably earned some good faith but geez he'd want to lift.
Went back and looked at his stats for the last 4 games and more importantly at the stats of the guys he would be playing on in a negating role. Ouch! IF he was playing that role he was very ineffective. Sinclair, Clark, Zorko, McKercher all got off the chain. Parker and Adams did a good job on Neale but nothing to do with JJ.
To my eye his play still generally looks fairly neat (don't quite agree with you there) but he does seem to have fallen away since the GWS game, as have a few of his mates.

Completely different pace of game. I don’t think you’ve got a handle on how good Sheldrick is.
i havent seen him be awesome in any game I have watched him play. Im sure he can as we are pretty shrewd with recruitment. Your comment regarding the different pace of play is exactly why i would not pick a player with such a low disposal efficient in the vfl. If he can pick that up over the next few, who knows, no good getting 29 times if you are not using it well.

This fits with what I've said about losing Papley, Jmac in recent weeks, potentially "replacing" them with Parker, Mills, Rowy types and moving the likes of Fox, Campbell, Corey to sub or out.

We're making the team slower, less able to force or capitalise on turnover etc, and losing what Papley, JMac offer without trying to replace it. If you free JJ up, maybe he replaces Jmac, but his strength has been run-with roles.

If we're bringing Mills and Rowy back, and we have a specific player for JJ to run with (Richards, Dale although I'd go Fox or Mills for him), then I think there's only 2 options in that slower mid category to move out to sub. Adams or Parker.
I kinda get your point, though I don't quite share your need for speed.

If you look at a game in its entirety there's very few moments where pure speed is actually used. Even those individuals whose standout attribute is speed - your Blakeys, your Warners, your Florents - only get a few occasions per game where they can actually show it.

Far more needed is fast ball movement, and that can be achieved without fast players, and in fact often is. Sharp hands, quick decisions, clever kicks, surge running. I think you need quality players for that more than you need players who can simply put the burners on.

I think no matter who you take out - Campbell, Warner Jr., Fox, Jordon, Hayward if he's injured, even Florent if some got their way (unlikely) - you're gonna lose a player with speed.

And it's a sacrifice I'd make every day of the week to bring in players like Mills & Rowbottom (they are hardly slow anyway??) who are quality and do as much, arguably more, for our ball movement than any of the pure fast players.

I've got no problem with such players per se.

However if the conversation is potentially someone like Campbell or Warner Jr. or Fox being dropped or moved down to sub... then I think it's worth Jordon being part of that conversation. Because I thought they were all better than Jordon against Brisbane, and I don't think he's been overly effective in the weeks prior, either.

I'm less baying for blood and more thinking, "Well if someone's gotta go..."
Yeah fair point

I tend to look at it a bit differently in those situations, personally i would go with competency and potential impact over someone who has played a couple of good games but is capable of having an absolute howler. Campbell and Corey are great examples under current circumstances - ripping recent game, but if i'm choosing someone to play for my life then im going with JJ, Fox & Wicks way ahead of them. Going with the latter feels like a major roll of the dice regardless of recent form compared to the significant runs the other 3 have on the board.

Similar to if I had to have a player kick for my life, even if it was directly after the Adelaide siren, i'm still not picking Amartey.

I feel like it's way too easy to have a string of games where things don't go your way and be considered 'down on form' when it has nothing to do with your current quality as a footballer and more so to do with luck on the day + matchup. Sometimes the ball feels like it's on a string and sometimes it doesn't. Form imo is very very temporary, if not a completely non-existent manufactured term. Same goes for 'good form' - you can be a very average footballer and still manage to have a day out.

Last edited:
I kinda get your point, though I don't quite share your need for speed.

If you look at a game in its entirety there's very few moments where pure speed is actually used. Even those individuals whose standout attribute is speed - your Blakeys, your Warners, your Florents - only get a few occasions per game where they can actually show it.

Far more needed is fast ball movement, and that can be achieved without fast players, and in fact often is. Sharp hands, quick decisions, clever kicks, surge running. I think you need quality players for that more than you need players who can simply put the burners on.

I think no matter who you take out - Campbell, Warner Jr., Fox, Jordon, Hayward if he's injured, even Florent if some got their way (unlikely) - you're gonna lose a player with speed.

And it's a sacrifice I'd make every day of the week to bring in players like Mills & Rowbottom (they are hardly slow anyway??) who are quality and do as much, arguably more, for our ball movement than any of the pure fast players.
It's not just pure speed, I'm not JHWF.

Part of it is Campbell's kicking, Fox's defensive pressure, work rate, Warner I thought would be the likeliest option to directly replace Papley. There's elements of Jmac and Paps here that they replace better, especially up forward or around the ground (at stoppages or CBs, there's no comparison to the mids).

Speed is useful for chasing or corraling opponents (not in congestion), shutting down or getting into space, things which we've looked suspect on at times in the last month.

It's also who the likes of Rowy and Mills might push out of the midfield, into other areas. And I have said "slower".

We also have 2 guys in Mills, Parker who probably aren't going to be chasing or covering ground as well as usual, especially late on. And Adams who we're still giving smaller TOG than others.

Last edited:

Part of it is Campbell's kicking, Fox's defensive pressure, work rate, Warner I thought would be the likeliest option to directly replace Papley. There's elements of Jmac and Paps here that they replace better, especially up forward or around the ground (at stoppages or CBs, there's no comparison).

Speed is useful for chasing or corraling opponents (not in congestion), shutting down or getting into space, things which we've looked suspect on at times in the last month.

We also have 2 guys in Mills, Parker who probably aren't going to be chasing or covering ground as well as usual, especially late on. And Adams who we're still giving smaller TOG than others.
That's a fair comment.

But FWIW, if there were two players I trust more than anyone to chase, corral, shut down or get into space, it's Mills & Rowbottom.

Obviously Mills is probably not going to be his usual self in this regard, as you say. Perhaps that is part of the problem with this selection conundrum. There's a lot of guys who are sort of 'in-betweeners' at the moment, mostly through no fault of their own. Good enough to be in the selection frame and even play a role in the team, but not quite able to play that role the fullest capacity we need them to.

Fox's pressure is good, but we almost need him in too many roles for him to consistently apply it.
We know Mills' best is elite, but he's naturally gonna be a fair way off that.
Parker's back but evidently being eased into whatever his role is.
Warner Jr. has a promising display, but it's as sub and it's unfair to expect him to match what McInerney or Papley bring.
Campbell, same as Warner Jr.
Adams has proven handy but seems to need to have his game-time managed.
Jordon is going okay but not great.

Would love while we're navigating some injuries for just one or two of them to put in the kind of performance that we can say, right that's it, lock them in the team, lock them in that role.

Part of it is Campbell's kicking, Fox's defensive pressure, work rate, Warner I thought would be the likeliest option to directly replace Papley. There's elements of Jmac and Paps here that they replace better, especially up forward or around the ground (at stoppages or CBs, there's no comparison to the mids).

It's also who the likes of Rowy and Mills might push out of the midfield, into other areas. And I have said "slower".

I can only assume that Adams is allowed a certain amount of ToG to minimise his risk of suffering a soft tissue injury given his history. It's all very scientific these days with players having to run laps post game if they haven't run enough. Conversely, Mills sat out last week because he had run too much in his come back game. Must drive Horse and the players crazy being dictated to by the sports medicine / science guys.

Just on Jordan, it doesn't look like he has been playing a negating role in previous weeks, which is surprising given how successful he has been.

This week I would have him right back at it, on Bailey Dale.

The injury report didn't mention Rowbottom, so the assumption would be that he is right, and Mills should be as well based on Longmire's comments.

2 Definite Ins in Rowbottom and Mills
2 Definite Outs in Rampe and Papley

My side for the weekend would be:

Backs: McCartin (Darcy), Melican (Naughton), Fox (JUH), Blakey, Florent, Roberts, Cunningham (Weightman)

Mids: Rowbottom, Mills, Campbell, Gulden, Lloyd, Ch Warner and Heeney (both spell forward also)

Fwds: McDonald (Freijah), McLean (Lobb), Amartey (Khamis), Hayward, Jordon (Def on Dale), Parker and Adams (both run through Mids also)

Ruck: Grundy

Sub: Co Warner

• McLean and Amartey just need to bring the ball to ground and not let Khamis and Lobb intercept the way they did last week.
  • Midfield battle will be immense, I think we run deeper, so it's about breaking even with their big guns and then taking over.
  • Ruck battle between English and Grundy will be immense, Grundy was brilliant the first time around, will need to back that up after a tougher couple of weeks.
  • IF Hayward doesn't get up, I think it has to be Wicks in as a genuine forward, or give Co Warner a chance to play that role and Sheldrick or Wicks the sub.

That's a fair comment.

But FWIW, if there were two players I trust more than anyone to chase, corral, shut down or get into space, it's Mills & Rowbottom.

Obviously Mills is probably not going to be his usual self in this regard, as you say. Perhaps that is part of the problem with this selection conundrum. There's a lot of guys who are sort of 'in-betweeners' at the moment, mostly through no fault of their own. Good enough to be in the selection frame and even play a role in the team, but not quite able to play that role the fullest capacity we need them to.

Fox's pressure is good, but we almost need him in too many roles for him to consistently apply it.
We know Mills' best is elite, but he's naturally gonna be a fair way off that.
Parker's back but evidently being eased into whatever his role is.
Warner Jr. has a promising display, but it's as sub and it's unfair to expect him to match what McInerney or Papley bring.
Campbell, same as Warner Jr.
Adams has proven handy but seems to need to have his game-time managed.
Jordon is going okay but not great.

Would love while we're navigating some injuries for just one or two of them to put in the kind of performance that we can say, right that's it, lock them in the team, lock them in that role.
I added it late via edit, but it's also who they push out into other areas.

I'm on board with Rowy coming in absolutely, but he pushes Adams out to less CBs, probably cuts CBs from Gulden and Heeney too (this is fine as they perform well elsewhere). Parker probably doesn't lose out because he had less CBs than the sub game the week before.

So for me the question becomes, do I want say Adams playing mostly off a flank or do I prefer all of Fox, Campbell or Warner being in the team. Probably the latter.

I would also play Mills as a lockdown forward or defender (whichever end Fox isn't at), while he regains fitness, rather than expecting him to take a wing all/most of a game.

Just on Jordan, it doesn't look like he has been playing a negating role in previous weeks, which is surprising given how successful he has been.

This week I would have him right back at it, on Bailey Dale.

The injury report didn't mention Rowbottom, so the assumption would be that he is right, and Mills should be as well based on Longmire's comments.

2 Definite Ins in Rowbottom and Mills
2 Definite Outs in Rampe and Papley

My side for the weekend would be:

Backs: McCartin (Darcy), Melican (Naughton), Fox (JUH), Blakey, Florent, Roberts, Cunningham (Weightman)

Mids: Rowbottom, Mills, Campbell, Gulden, Lloyd, Ch Warner and Heeney (both spell forward also)

Fwds: McDonald (Freijah), McLean (Lobb), Amartey (Khamis), Hayward, Jordon (Def on Dale), Parker and Adams (both run through Mids also)

Ruck: Grundy

Sub: Co Warner

• McLean and Amartey just need to bring the ball to ground and not let Khamis and Lobb intercept the way they did last week.
  • Midfield battle will be immense, I think we run deeper, so it's about breaking even with their big guns and then taking over.
  • Ruck battle between English and Grundy will be immense, Grundy was brilliant the first time around, will need to back that up after a tougher couple of weeks.
  • IF Hayward doesn't get up, I think it has to be Wicks in as a genuine forward, or give Co Warner a chance to play that role and Sheldrick or Wicks the sub.
Good post. Like the base team but isn't Liam Jones back this week? My guess is that he would take Amartey, Lobb on McLean, Khamis on McDonald. Not sure what happens with Freijah.
Wicks in if Hayward is out.

Had a good think about this game.
I don’t see us winning this game with the forced changes. Our tall forwards are not dominating enough to be threats against the Dogs.
But I feel their midfield is at the top of their game. Our starts are haunting us & if that happens this week the Dogs won’t be letting us back in a hurry.
The there is the Bont. He will be hard to quell while their other mids are winning it out of the middle. They were all over us last game & we had Heeney dominate. He’s just not going as well.
Not a bad thing if we drop it because we need to be jolted into playing 4 full quarters of footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im really worried about Heeney and his Niggles. Looked really hampered with his hand against Brisbane and didn’t have that explosive break out speed that he had at the start of the season so I dare say the ankle is cooked again.
I was on Isaac watch on Sunday at the ground because my 12 yo is in love with him. He definitely was limping and just looked a bit busted.

Im really worried about Heeney and his Niggles. Looked really hampered with his hand against Brisbane and didn’t have that explosive break out speed that he had at the start of the season so I dare say the ankle is cooked again.

Or he is just out of form, if he is actually barely moving fitness wise then we are just screwing this up .

But he had the 14 day break and was still off

Someone stepped on it?
That can do it, particularly if you get someone taking off and uses your foot to push off, can cause big pain ang long term niggles only extended rest gives. I Have a player with that exact injury right now and Dr tells him you can’t do more damage, but need to play w the pain. Rest it at seasons end. If Heeney is hampered by it, it wont be going away.

Good post. Like the base team but isn't Liam Jones back this week? My guess is that he would take Amartey, Lobb on McLean, Khamis on McDonald. Not sure what happens with Freijah.
Wicks in if Hayward is out.
Dogs board says he is back next week

Florent has to go.
No 1 in the AFL for back half turnovers, can’t tackle, panics, bombs it when deep inside 50c complete liability.
You can’t win a flag with the No1 back half turnover player in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back