Preview Sydney v Bulldogs SCG Sunday 3:20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Florent has to go.
No 1 in the AFL for back half turnovers, can’t tackle, panics, bombs it when deep inside 50c complete liability.
You can’t win a flag with the No1 back half turnover player in the league.
I reluctantly agree with you, Ollie has been terrible and getting worse by the week.
Makes me so sad, he and Rowie are my favourite players 😔

Just my opinion but just whinging Florent has to go he butchers it is way too simplistic.

For starters who is replacing him! Also why is he turning it over.

He actually turned it over less lately , pre bye he had a few shockers, he is turning it over more consistently week to week now.

Again he obviously does have a high turnover number compared to the league, not saying it's not an issue, but he turned it over more often in our big winning patch, did you want him dropped then?

IMG_0710.png

We know he can actually kick reasonably well or he wouldn't be trusted to do it, we have seen it. So why is he turning it over consistently and not so much up and down week to week? It is because the midfield clearances are down and he is dealing with more repeat entries for instance ? Is there more accountability in the backline? His contested possession numbers are up at the moment, this suggests to me he and other defenders are under more pressure than before ?

IMG_0711.png

If he is kicking under pressure in a contest more often then the degree of difficulty is harder, so we need the mids to work harder and get on top and stop the backline having to work under siege as much.

Because also what are Blakeys turnovers looking like, not as high as Florent but certainly up recently more consistently .

IMG_0712.png

They are playing a difficult role, if the team
is under pressure.
Because if we just drop players for turnovers then what about Gulden? If he didn't turn it over so much then perhaps Florents job would be easier. Gulden is number 1 league wide for turnovers

IMG_0713.png

I am not saying Florent isn't down on from or shouldn't be better, but it's a bit like whinging about the 3 talls, if our mids don't get on top then defenders and forwards push shit up hill imo.

Again Florent goes out tonight, who comes in and does that role? Is Indhi Kirk doing it?

Just my opinion but just whinging Florent has to go he butchers it is way too simplistic.

He actually turned it over less lately , pre bye he had a few shockers, he is turning it over more consistently week to week now.

Again he obviously does have a high turnover number compared to the league, not saying it's not an issue, but he turned it over more often in our big winning patch, did you want him dropped then?

View attachment 2058088

We know he can actually kick reasonably well or he wouldn't be trusted to do it, we have seen it. So why is he turning it over consistently and not so much up and down week to week? It is because the midfield clearances are down and he is dealing with more repeat entries for instance ? Is there more accountability in the backline? His contested possession numbers are up at the moment, this suggests to me he and other defenders are under more pressure than before ?

View attachment 2058089

If he is kicking under pressure in a contest more often then the degree of difficulty is harder, so we need the mids to work harder and get on top and stop the backline having to work under siege as much.

Because also what are Blakeys turnovers looking like, not as high as Florent but certainly up recently more consistently .

View attachment 2058092

is under pressure.
Because if we just drop players for turnovers then what about Gulden? If he didn't turn it over so much then perhaps Florents job would be easier. Gulden is number 1 league wide for turnovers

View attachment 2058095

I am not saying Florent isn't down on from or shouldn't be better, but it's a bit like whinging about the 3 talls, if our mids don't get on top then defenders and forwards push shit up hill imo.

Again Florent goes out tonight, who comes in and does that role? Is Indhi Kirk doing it?
Someone will say Mills to replace him.

Then I'll respond that Mills will intercept in the air and compete one-on-one better, but we lose some pace and rebound. Then someone will play the 'Mills is just a better player' card. And I'll agree, but just not at Florent's role. And then someone will say roles aren't important, you just need good players.

Etc etc.

Someone will say Mills to replace him.

Then I'll respond that Mills will intercept in the air and compete one-on-one better, but we lose some pace and rebound. Then someone will play the 'Mills is just a better player' card. And I'll agree, but just not at Florent's role. And then someone will say roles aren't important, you just need good players.

Etc etc.

I just say we back some of these guys in and just realise collectively the team needs to be a bit sharper and engaged than it has been.

A few pissy losses and down to workrate and numbers around the ball in part imo .

I just say we back some of these guys in and just realise collectively the team needs to be a bit sharper and engaged than it has been.

A few pissy losses and down to workrate and numbers around the ball in part imo .
I think we win by 2-3 goals if Rampe and Paps don't get injured in the first half, plus a goal or two to the Blakey tunnel play and other frees.

It was a fair effort on the weekend. We'll be up against vs another (recent) form team, with a couple more forced changes, I wouldn't be looking for other changes to make. Unless it's to rectify team balance with Mills and Rowy in, and then dropping Florent is the opposite of that.

I think we win by 2-3 goals if Rampe and Paps don't get injured in the first half, plus a goal or two to the Blakey tunnel play and other frees.

It was a fair effort on the weekend. We'll be up against vs another (recent) form team, with a couple more forced changes, I wouldn't be looking for other changes to make. Unless it's to rectify team balance with Mills and Rowy in, and then dropping Florent is the opposite of that.

I don't think we were far off on the weekend, just needed bodies , even if you had spare subs we probably win.

So I think chucking guys out unnecessarily is not where we are at

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is under pressure.

For me I don't actually think it's his kicking that is the issue and causing the turnovers. I'm struggling to think of many outright bad kicks he's had in the same way that I can pinpoint kicks by Blakey, Gulden, Adams etc. that have gone straight to the opposition and proven costly.

My issue is with his indecisiveness. Doesn't look confident when he gets the ball, takes too long to make a decision or rushes to make a decision, not enough of the in-between. It's all very costly at the moment.

Obviously there are other issues up the ground that aren't helping and, if anything, are compounding Florent's issues. But you can't drop everyone. I look at it as simply who has had the most opportunity to course-correct and not really done anything with it. To me, Florent's the only player who fits this bill. I really don't think he's had a great year at all outside of the first six or so weeks.

I'm far from a "This random VFL player most have never even seen play before needs to get a chance!!" type of person, I usually always back the players in as I've done with the talls, with Wicks, etc., but Florent's form has gone on too long, and his best is too good for us to put up with it and not try and do something to correct it before finals when it matters most.

But at the end of the day I think there's next to no chance of him being dropped as he got coaches votes two weeks ago against the Saints.

For me I don't actually think it's his kicking that is the issue and causing the turnovers. I'm struggling to think of many outright bad kicks he's had in the same way that I can pinpoint kicks by Blakey, Gulden, Adams etc. that have gone straight to the opposition and proven costly.

My issue is with his indecisiveness. Doesn't look confident when he gets the ball, takes too long to make a decision or rushes to make a decision, not enough of the in-between. It's all very costly at the moment.

Obviously there are other issues up the ground that aren't helping and, if anything, are compounding Florent's issues. But you can't drop everyone. I look at it as simply who has had the most opportunity to course-correct and not really done anything with it. To me, Florent's the only player who fits this bill. I really don't think he's had a great year at all.

I'm far from a "This random VFL player most have never even seen play before needs to get a chance!!" type of person, I usually always back the players in as I've done with the talls, with Wicks, etc., but Florent's form has gone on too long, and his best is too good for us to put up with it and not try and do something to correct it before finals when it matters most.

But at the end of the day I think there's next to no chance of him being dropped as he got coaches votes two weeks ago against the Saints.
He didn’t have a good game last week, but the mere suggestion that Florent be dropped is kinda comical.

And a reflection of the board’s absolute need to find a whipping boy after each and every loss.

He didn’t have a good game last week, but the mere suggestion that Florent be dropped is kinda comical.

And a reflection of the board’s absolute need to find a whipping boy after each and every loss.
I can only speak for myself DQ but here are my remarks on Florent, first from the Geelong game eight weeks ago (at which point we were still 10-1) and the Fremantle game four weeks later (which was only our first loss in nearly three months.)

Florent's been unbelievably costly

Florent is actually the only Swan's form that genuinely concerns me. I just have no faith that he'll do something good when he has the ball, and he's looked like this dating back before the bye.

Have been consistent on this and it's not to do with our wins and losses.

I can only speak for myself DQ but here are my remarks on Florent, first from the Geelong game eight weeks ago (at which point we were still 10-1) and the Fremantle game four weeks later (which was only our first loss in nearly three months.)

I have thought for many years that we fans and the coaches often value different things. I could never see what they saw in Lloyd as a defender. I loved O'Riordan but he was hardly played. Ditto Fox. How do Campbell and Roberts get games in front of him? For mine Florent is decent value from HBF forward but not back of that. Contrast his play with Cunningham or Rampe or Melican. Actually Roberts is stronger back there than he is. Hard nut. I look forward to Snell and Edwards coming of age.

View attachment 2058088

View attachment 2058089

View attachment 2058092

is under pressure.

View attachment 2058095

A VERY in depth post from you my leige, in depth and well researched.
And I've got no idea on who would replace Ollie.

Obviously there are other issues up the ground that aren't helping and, if anything, are compounding Florent's issues. But you can't drop everyone. I look at it as simply who has had the most opportunity to course-correct and not really done anything with it. To me, Florent's the only player who fits this bill. I really don't think he's had a great year at all outside of the first six or so weeks.

This, sooooo this.

Fair enough & I concur with some aspects.

However, there is absolutely no chance that Florent gets dropped. None. Zippo. Nil. Zilch.

For much of the season, he’s been an important cog in a
side performing spectacularly well. Indeed, I’d suspect his name is among a dozen or so automatic selections.

And as you correctly point out, he’s been in the coaches votes recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back