Preview Sydney v Essendon SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are overthinking the Lloyd situation. Lachlan McKirdy - whose pre-season insights have turned out to be remarkably accurate thus far - said that Lloyd was a lock to be in defence and trained and impressed there all pre-season. Clearly the plan was for things to go as normal for Lloyd this year and that there wasn't some pre-conceived need to "replace" him. He was in defence, he's now playing on the wing. What happened in between was hip soreness. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure this out.

It's good management. We give his potential successor some valuable experience in his role, we get to ease Lloyd into the season while still having his leadership out there at a time when we're low on that. Everybody wins.

Hmm, I've seen that URL before
rick roll GIF

This is very true mind you

A tough one , but I also need to see Roberts keep doing it as well, if he turned in a shocker against the bombers it's suddenly different.

Stability is important too, but you do make a good point
The thing is.
The whole structure of the swans has changed this season.
Where in the past they fanned off Half back. They now wedge.
It's been a deliberate ploy to incorporate Elite kicking to defeat these zone defenses that teams like Melbourne and Collingwood employ.
Players like Roberts are worth their weight in gold cause they offer a hard nut contest. Plus an ability to scythe a pass over a defensive set-up.

Lloyds most successful seasons were as a reliable link up hard running dependable HB.
He's been moved on from that. To a quasi wingman who drifts around a bit fwd.

Lloyd has been ok so far anyway, apart from muffing that goal
He was good the other night, but he was a bit casual in that moment. I think he assumed he'd take the ball and waltz into goal, but then got the bounce and wasn't really switched on for it. I will forgive him, because how often does a half back flanker get an open goal square to himself. He was picturing that Coleman.

The thing is.
The whole structure of the swans has changed this season.
Where in the past they fanned off Half back. They now wedge.
It's been a deliberate ploy to incorporate Elite kicking to defeat these zone defenses that teams like Melbourne and Collingwood employ.
Players like Roberts are worth their weight in gold cause they offer a hard nut contest. Plus an ability to scythe a pass over a defensive set-up.

Lloyds most successful seasons were as a reliable link up hard running dependable HB.
He's been moved on from that. To a quasi wingman who drifts around a bit fwd.

I don't disagree how we look, I am just mindful it is a 2 game sample of a side making moves to cover absences

I think people are overthinking the Lloyd situation. Lachlan McKirdy - whose pre-season insights have turned out to be remarkably accurate thus far - said that Lloyd was a lock to be in defence and trained and impressed there all pre-season. Clearly the plan was for things to go as normal for Lloyd this year and that there wasn't some pre-conceived need to "replace" him. He was in defence, he's now playing on the wing. What happened in between was hip soreness. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure this out.

It's good management. We give his potential successor some valuable experience in his role, we get to ease Lloyd into the season while still having his leadership out there at a time when we're low on that. Everybody wins.
He won't be playing after the gather round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Lewis himself disagrees

View attachment 1931021
Ruthless drive for efficiency is different to dropping players in a ruthless manner .

They were picking from the discount bin to find statistically most efficient from within their strategic and financial constraints

There's a difference in my
mind but what the heck do I know

We've made it clear for a number of seasons we would like Lloyd to play up the ground but that he was too important in defence.

It's not a reflection on Lloyd being kicked out of defence, but rather there enough support down back we can use him up the ground.

We've made it clear for a number of seasons we would like Lloyd to play up the ground but that he was too important in defence.

It's not a reflection on Lloyd being kicked out of defence, but rather there enough support down back we can use him up the ground.

I think Lloyd may be under pressure to keep his spot, but he has had more than a few seasons that I can remember where he really started pretty slowly and took some time to build up some form. Be interesting if this is another of those seasons - though he might not have as much time if the good form continues and competition for spots continues to be red hot.

Yes but at this point i dont believe the board could handle a loss

we would suddenly be able to squeeze Adams Mills and Parker in without debate

Reid will be a walk up star and our superstar Sheldrick sorely missed

Corey Warner sounds ok suddenly and Ladhams was never that bad 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back