Tallangatta League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey almost done like your avatar can you send that to my mum to prove that i can take an overhead mark:D:D

Is that a football? I just thought you were holding the top of your head!

432635_tn.jpg

Rutherglen had a very enjoyable and well-attended first training session last friday, lets hope that proves to be the catalyst for a solid pre-season and results in a much improved showing in 2008.

Also, I have heard (although only 2nd hand) that Thurgoona have picked up Steve Prince (played in Albury Tigers losing Reserves Grand Final side) and Corey Miller (to join his borther). This would go some way to replacing the losses of Murray (x2), Butchart, Payne, Toon (x1) and co. Anyone from Thurgoona out there who can elaborate more?

In regards to the Top 6 system, there is another part of it that I dont like. Seeing as though 1 plays 2 in the first week, it means one has to lose (granted they have a double chance). It seems unfair that team 3 (or even team 4 or 5 - if 3 loses its elimiation final) should get a shot at the grand final (with a 2nd week double chance) before one team out of 1 or 2.

The 2nd semi (winner through to GF) is between winner 1/2 and 3 (or 4/5 if 3 loses). Potentially, the loser of 1/2 has had to play a top side in the first week and team 3 (or 4/5) have had to play a lesser team to get through to the 2nd semi (where they can get to the grand final). It seems unfair that a team who finishes in the top 2 has a harder path than 3/4/5.

But i agree, it needs to be considered as more teams enter any competition

Rutherglen had a very enjoyable and well-attended first training session last friday, lets hope that proves to be the catalyst for a solid pre-season and results in a much improved showing in 2008.

Also, I have heard (although only 2nd hand) that Thurgoona have picked up Steve Prince (played in Albury Tigers losing Reserves Grand Final side) and Corey Miller (to join his borther). This would go some way to replacing the losses of Murray (x2), Butchart, Payne, Toon (x1) and co. Anyone from Thurgoona out there who can elaborate more?

In regards to the Top 6 system, there is another part of it that I dont like. Seeing as though 1 plays 2 in the first week, it means one has to lose (granted they have a double chance). It seems unfair that team 3 (or even team 4 or 5 - if 3 loses its elimiation final) should get a shot at the grand final (with a 2nd week double chance) before one team out of 1 or 2.

The 2nd semi (winner through to GF) is between winner 1/2 and 3 (or 4/5 if 3 loses). Potentially, the loser of 1/2 has had to play a top side in the first week and team 3 (or 4/5) have had to play a lesser team to get through to the 2nd semi (where they can get to the grand final). It seems unfair that a team who finishes in the top 2 has a harder path than 3/4/5.

But i agree, it needs to be considered as more teams enter any competition

A bit early to be spruiking recruits yet GB, an announcement will be made in due course, if you are really that interested in what the Dogs are doing.
Re the Top 6, I agree with your above thoughts. In a 12 team comp, a Top 5 is perfect. 5 get in, 7 don't. Under the Top 5 every teams gets rewarded appropriately according to where they finish on the ladder. i.e Top spot - a week's rest. 2nd & 3rd - double chance & a shot at a GF berth if you win week 1. 4th & 5th are sudden death from week 1.

Heard the other day that Bickies, Will Chilton and Adem Telfod from Wodonga, are all going out to the hoppers. On top of Nater and Mansell looks like they will really turn the corner this year.

Which teams do you see improving LT ? At this stage it looks like Mitta & Kiewa will be strong again, Chiltern & Barny will go backwards, Yack & Beechworth will be about the same and the rest are too far back to improve enough to threaten the flag.

I agree, Mitta and Kiewa the two standouts. Yack should go better with their kids a bit older and the new coach and his mates. They wont have Purcell as the main focus, which will favor their smaller running types. Also Dederang have Elliott and maybe Price back, they had some good kids last year, especially that Mouncy (not sure on spelling) would have to say that they will improve. The middle part of the ladder will be very even, any of these sides could sneak in.

I agree, Mitta and Kiewa the two standouts. Yack should go better with their kids a bit older and the new coach and his mates. They wont have Purcell as the main focus, which will favor their smaller running types. Also Dederang have Elliott and maybe Price back, they had some good kids last year, especially that Mouncy (not sure on spelling) would have to say that they will improve. The middle part of the ladder will be very even, any of these sides could sneak in.

Have heard that Dederang have also spoken to ex Yack ruckman Simon Dale about lining up with the bombers.

If Andrew Nicholls is coaching Yack 2s how long will it be before he pulls on the boots.Also i wonder if he can entice his old mates Vin Glass and Richard Grimmond to pull the boots on as well.Has anyone apart from Purcell and possibly Simon Dale left The Roos?

Have heard that Dederang have also spoken to ex Yack ruckman Simon Dale about lining up with the bombers.

Simon has informed new Coach Brent Lillis that IF he plays again, he wanted to finish off his career at Myrtleford in the 2's (where it all began)
only other losses are Purcell (Jerilderie) and Jazz Hillary (knee op).
Steve Pulla doing pre-season at Raiders again, but will more than likely be playing at Yack again.

Simon has informed new Coach Brent Lillis that IF he plays again, he wanted to finish off his career at Myrtleford in the 2's (where it all began)
only other losses are Purcell (Jerilderie) and Jazz Hillary (knee op).
Steve Pulla doing pre-season at Raiders again, but will more than likely be playing at Yack again.

MTAG is Clayto hanging around again this season? I thought given the large numbers of former players returning to the Brookers he may have been tempted to return.

MTAG is Clayto hanging around again this season? I thought given the large numbers of former players returning to the Brookers he may have been tempted to return.

Liam is 100% Yack AD.
He has committed to the club, the new coach and his huge number of mates he made at the club in 07.
If he was to go in years to come, many would be disappointed. none more than the owner of the Bottom Pub though. Super bloke and the type of person a club wants to recruit and keep for more than a year.

If Andrew Nicholls is coaching Yack 2s how long will it be before he pulls on the boots.Also i wonder if he can entice his old mates Vin Glass and Richard Grimmond to pull the boots on as well.Has anyone apart from Purcell and possibly Simon Dale left The Roos?

hey vin glass and dick grimmond won a flag last year with federals playing under nev nugent.rumor was that federals got a new sponsor in smiths ice to save on costs!!!!

i'm just new to this, has anybody got an up to date confirmation on the comings and goings for next year. will many of the bottom teams improve or will it just be mitta and kiewa again playing off in the big one? if any body can let me know that would be much appreciated.

Liam is 100% Yack AD.
He has committed to the club, the new coach and his huge number of mates he made at the club in 07.
If he was to go in years to come, many would be disappointed. none more than the owner of the Bottom Pub though. Super bloke and the type of person a club wants to recruit and keep for more than a year.

Good to hear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'm just new to this, has anybody got an up to date confirmation on the comings and goings for next year. will many of the bottom teams improve or will it just be mitta and kiewa again playing off in the big one? if any body can let me know that would be much appreciated.

Welcome Hirdy. I don't think to many are going to divulge to the world just yet on all their comings and goings at this stage of the year, but if you go back a few pages you might get some idea of the movements at some clubs. :thumbsu:

Heard the other day that Bickies, Will Chilton and Adem Telfod from Wodonga, are all going out to the hoppers. On top of Nater and Mansell looks like they will really turn the corner this year.

I heard bickies signed with kiewa for a ridiculas amount of money. only played a couple of senior games i think for wodonga. Also rumoured that damien jones was heading out to the hoppers aswell? could it be the damaging rekindle of 2004 when he and mansell won the leagues leading goal kicking together for the o & m thirds then mansell doubled up the year after in 05. Could this be a turn around for the hoppers?

I heard bickies signed with kiewa for a ridiculas amount of money. only played a couple of senior games i think for wodonga. Also rumoured that damien jones was heading out to the hoppers aswell? could it be the damaging rekindle of 2004 when he and mansell won the leagues leading goal kicking together for the o & m thirds then mansell doubled up the year after in 05. Could this be a turn around for the hoppers?

Still a long way to go what have they recruited 4 players to a side that only won 1 game and a side that was filled with washed up veterans

Chiltern have appointed Brookesy as A/C so they have filled their coaching panel from within so that probably tells you with all due respect it is hard to recruit at the moment.What about the Dogs NOP-heard Toons X 2 and a senior backman are signed at Rand;Paine moved to Melbs;Murray x 2 gone and Lachie Hunter as well.In addition Jamie Dunn turned 39 during the month so his old legs will limit him.Hope the Dogs have a few in the pipeline to cover those losses.
Took me a bit but i done a bit of investigation for you switch quite possible that the dogs will lose those players but reading on there website which would be the best and most up to date in the league turn out only 3 of the above mentioned players finished in the top 10 of thurgoona best and fairest. Hardly say they would be un-coverable. Can bet anything you like that the likes of Boxhead, Gunny, Duff and the committee are loving the fact that you are writing them off already. But only time will tell.:thumbsu:

yea nata is really goin to be a class player in the 2's. might be a smokey for the B&F just in front of Jackson Boyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirdy005

Bickies on a ridiculous sum out at kiewa you say? i would suggest that will come back and bite kiewa quite sharply in their arse, he`s solid at best. Certainly will be looking forward to see how mansell goes out at tallangatta though, someone informed me that he is looking fitter and stronger than he ever has. Finally hirdy, could you tell me why it would seem that damien jones is consistantly changing clubs/leagues each year? is he in making some sort of attempt to play at every club in Victoria during his career?

I remember a while ago someone wrote about clubs spending ridiculous money on players not entitled to it to be up for one or two years and then return to the bottom of the ladder where they remain for quite a lot longer once the group of friends etc move on again. It will be interesting to see where some of the clubs paying big money this year are in two or 3 seasons from now.

Is there any news about your newest club - Wahgunyah?
How does everyone think they will go, considering they are drawing from the same area as Rutherglen.
And is there any news as to what colours they will wear given that Barnawartha has the Tigers sewn up?

Is there any news about your newest club - Wahgunyah?
How does everyone think they will go, considering they are drawing from the same area as Rutherglen.
And is there any news as to what colours they will wear given that Barnawartha has the Tigers sewn up?
Wahgunya will go ok be about middle field you would think in there first year. They will be wearing a lions strip which should be confirmed on Sunday at the league AGM. Be great too see the round 1 clash with rutherglen v wahgunyah. Mitta and Kiewa up first as well. If anyone doesn't know what i'm talking about the draw is up on the League website:thumbsu:

Wahgunya will go ok be about middle field you would think in there first year. They will be wearing a lions strip which should be confirmed on Sunday at the league AGM. Be great too see the round 1 clash with rutherglen v wahgunyah. Mitta and Kiewa up first as well. If anyone doesn't know what i'm talking about the draw is up on the League website:thumbsu:

Wahgunyah Lions?

That's a good choice for them IMO. They get to keep the big Cats theme.

When Wahgunyah used to play Rutherglen in the Coreen league (up to 1991) it was a massive grudge match - so much so they played in on Sundays to get bigger crowds. To do it in round one is a masterstroke from Ken Barnes and if they schedule it on a Sunday again the only thing I can suggest is to get there because there will be plenty of action. Almost worth coming home from Sydney to take a look at that one!!!!

Bickies on a ridiculous sum out at kiewa you say? i would suggest that will come back and bite kiewa quite sharply in their arse, he`s solid at best. Certainly will be looking forward to see how mansell goes out at tallangatta though, someone informed me that he is looking fitter and stronger than he ever has. Finally hirdy, could you tell me why it would seem that damien jones is consistantly changing clubs/leagues each year? is he in making some sort of attempt to play at every club in Victoria during his career?[/quote]

Bickies will fit in very well at Kiewa. With an already very strong midfield a good ruckman on top of that could be the difference. He'll ruffel up a few fethers in the league with his elbows, and the Kiewa Pub stocks are set to saw. Tallangatta should push for the five this year with a few soild ins going to be no easy beat including DJ the club ****.

Bickies will fit in very well at Kiewa. With an already very strong midfield a good ruckman on top of that could be the difference. He'll ruffel up a few fethers in the league with his elbows, and the Kiewa Pub stocks are set to saw. Tallangatta should push for the five this year with a few soild ins going to be no easy beat including DJ the club ****.[/quote]

who are tallangatta set to lose...any uni blokes? the likes of strauchnie and thwaites 2 key position players last year graduate i think so they would be moving on. DJ not a bad player but no world beater and seen mansell play too, the hoppers still got quite a way to go yet before they are close :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back