Teague wins Carlton B&F!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

BlueBoy83

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2004
Other Teams
CARLTON
Congrats to the guy ...

Gotta say i thought he'd poll well but thought lappin was a shoe in ...

Well done mate!!! ... We love you down at blueland!!!

170488ai.jpg

Teague scores surprise John Nicholls medal win
10:49:03 PM Thu 9 September, 2004
Samantha Lane
Sportal
Related Content:

Courageous Carlton defender David Teague has caused a boilover on Thursday night by winning the John Nicholls Medal for Carlton’s best and fairest in front of more than 1000 people at the Victory Room at Telstra Dome.

Teague, who was one of 16 new recruits to the club in 2004, beat boom Port Adelaide recruit Nick Stevens, with All-Australian selection and raging favourite Matthew Lappin rounding out the top three.

Teague polled 492 votes from Stevens (461) and Lappin (449).

He joined the Blues at the end of 2003 along with Digby Morrell in a trade that saw Corey McKernan return to the Kangaroos. He clearly enjoyed the reunion with former coach Denis Pagan and played some inspirational football in defence and emerged as a real leader in the back-half following the retirement of former skipper Andrew McKay.

In 2004 the Blues best and fairest was been renamed the John Nicholls Medal in honour of five times winner, John Nicholls. It also featured a new voting system, in which five match committee members each award votes out of a possible 10 for the best players in a game.

Other Awards:
Best First Year Player: Adrian Deluca

Past Players Encouragement Award: Jordan Bannister

Best Clubman: Ian Prendergast

Optus "SMS Best on Ground Competition" Player of the Year: Matthew Lappin

Women of Carlton - Player Ambassador of the Year Award: Glen Bowyer and Bret Thornton.

TOP TEN
1st: David Teague 492
2nd: Nick Stevens 461

3rd: Matthew Lappin 449

4th: Scott Camporeale 397
5th: Bret Thornton 327
6th: Brendan Fevola 269
7th: Ryan Houlihan 267
8th: Heath Scotland 219
9th: Anthony Koutoufides 209
10th: Jordan Bannister 203

Congratulations to the lad, good to see him get his career back on track after stalling at North.

Super effort! I must admit I was quite suprised when North off-loaded him. Don't claim to know the reasons why it happened, but congrats to both Teague and the Blues for nabbing him in the first place.

BlueBoy83 said:
lol

u got the first reply tho!!! :D
Yeah but it was Yze_Magic. Does that count? ;)

You must have been sweating on the official media release.

The Old Dark Navy's said:
Yeah but it was Yze_Magic. Does that count? ;)

You must have been sweating on the official media release.

nah i just finished summarising my notes, came down to get a drink and remembered the b&f was on tonight and remembered seeing richmond results last night.

timing my good friend timing ;)

TheSheik said:
Teague winning the award might make the Roos regret giving him away so easily too.

One more time...

David Teague's career at North had well and truly stalled. He wasn't in Laidley's good books, he wasn't even playing consistently good football in the VFL and his trade value was virtually nil. Yes, he's playing great footy and his career is back on the rails, but there was nothing at all to indicate he would have done that had he stayed at North.

Good on him for keeping his head up and fighting back, I'm more than happy with seeing McKernan retire in blue and white and seeing Teaguey succeed because he's a great guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petrie Dish said:
One more time...

David Teague's career at North had well and truly stalled. He wasn't in Laidley's good books, he wasn't even playing consistently good football in the VFL and his trade value was virtually nil. Yes, he's playing great footy and his career is back on the rails, but there was nothing at all to indicate he would have done that had he stayed at North.

Good on him for keeping his head up and fighting back, I'm more than happy with seeing McKernan retire in blue and white and seeing Teaguey succeed because he's a great guy.

i doubt he would have succeeded under laidleys regeme ...

prolly win win, i hated mckernan but he's a club legend at north so its good he'll retire there ... and teague can retire in his new home.

it just shows u hey how certain coaches bring best out in players ... ie mckernan didn't play well under dennis in later years, but teague thrives under dennis.

good on him, great player, thoroughly deserving

met him last year, he played for rmit footy team in the university games, pretty much said he didnt get along at all with laidley, and when they told him not to play for rmit he told the roos to shove it and that was the final straw, was traded the next week...obvious pagan saw something he liked in the archer mould

TheSheik said:
Teague winning the award might make the Roos regret giving him away so easily too.
No. Just proof that one team's junk can be another team's treasure if the piece fits. You'll only find good wishes (for Diggers as well) from most North folk. Well done Teaguey.

Dingster said:
No. Just proof that one team's junk can be another team's treasure if the piece fits. You'll only find good wishes (for Diggers as well) from most North folk. Well done Teaguey.

Exactly. Congratulations to David, he has really fitted in well at Carlton after being a fringe player at North - and if he played all year like he played against us at Princes Park a few weeks ago, a really deserving winner!

GOALden Hawk said:
So which North player will win Carlton's B&F next year? Pagan must be lining up to trade with them already.

Shane Clayton, he'd be a shoe in for Carlton B/F next year, can't get a game at North, but would probably even top their Brownlow votes like Corey did :D .

1jasonoz said:
Shane Clayton, he'd be a shoe in for Carlton B/F next year, can't get a game at North, but would probably even top their Brownlow votes like Corey did :D .

But back then we had the worst year in our entire history. The list and the club at present is a far cry from those horrors.

Silly comparision really. The only way someone like that would win a B&F and top our Brownlow voting is if we have a year as bad as 2002 - but don't count on it!

GOALden Hawk said:
So which North player will win Carlton's B&F next year? Pagan must be lining up to trade with them already.

A bit like how we always look forward to seeing who's available from Fremantle and Box Hill.

Well done to Teaguey though. He plays footy the way that many of us would love to if we had the chance.

Even allowing for the fact that players fit in differently at different clubs, I wonder what Laidley had against Teague? He is not lightning quick and ideally he would be a bit bigger for the role he plays but as a No. 3 or 4 defender I would imagine he would fit into just about any side.

Like everyone else I am surprised Lappin missed out on the B&F, but Teague's win will be very popular. In his first year he has become a huge fan favourite because all supporters respect players who attack the ball with such fearlessness.

Petrie Dish said:
One more time...

he wasn't even playing consistently good football in the VFL and his trade value was virtually nil.
I saw him about 4 times playing for Port Last year and he was close to best on the ground each time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Teague wins Carlton B&F!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back