Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Would we ever play Rutten on Buddy? I think it's at least worth considering. I know Rutten is giving away inches and speed, but I still think he could hold his own.

We've tried it and it didn't really work too well, Buddy's combo of pace, reach and ground level ability are too much for Rutten.

Personally, I'd be looking at Davis as the #1 option, with Otten, Stevens and Rutten as backups, in case it gets out of hand.

I reckon we will put Stevens on Buddy for the first crack, Rutten on Roughead and Davis to play on Hale. With Buddy we need someone who is strong in the body, if the ball comes one on one with him against Davis he will monster him. I would get Otten to cover for him when Buddy drifts up the field as he would have the better engine to run with him

I reckon we will put Stevens on Buddy for the first crack, Rutten on Roughead and Davis to play on Hale. With Buddy we need someone who is strong in the body, if the ball comes one on one with him against Davis he will monster him. I would get Otten to cover for him when Buddy drifts up the field as he would have the better engine to run with him
I totally agree. Stevens on Franklin when playing in the forward 50. An Otten or similar when he plays up the field.

Franklin is his own worst enemy. He can play the amazing but only when he is switched on. I don't want Davis to allow Franklin to get switched on. The risk is too high. Smother him and make him difficult to get into the swing.

Davis to start on Buddy as he deserves first crack.
He was good enough to start on Reiwoldt last season and he's had a good preseason since then so no reason to doubt his ability.

I'm more worried about Roughead he seems to thrive when we become too Buddy conscious.

Davis to start on Buddy as he deserves first crack.
He was good enough to start on Reiwoldt last season and he's had a good preseason since then so no reason to doubt his ability.

I'm more worried about Roughead he seems to thrive when we become too Buddy conscious.
Deserves? Please explain. It should be a strategic decision based on the best person for the job, not on what someone deserves. We want to win this game. Davis will not have the speed to keep up with the likes of Franklin. Davis is not Bock. I remember Massie deserved a chance on playing on Franklin due to a previous game....and we all remember how that ended. Keep it tactical, not personal.

Deserves? Please explain. It should be a strategic decision based on the best person for the job, not on what someone deserves. We want to win this game. Davis will not have the speed to keep up with the likes of Franklin. Davis is not Bock. I remember Massie deserved a chance on playing on Franklin due to a previous game....and we all remember how that ended. Keep it tactical, not personal.
Starting Massie on Franklin was an "interesting" decision, but one which was defensible on the basis that Massie had done a number on him not that long ago (albeit aided by the elements - night time & bucket loads of rain). You could reasonably argue that he "deserved" to have first crack at Franklin based on previous performance. What wasn't defensible was leaving him there when it became readily apparent to all & sundry that Franklin was having a day out and this match-up was a disaster waiting to happen.

I'd like to think that Craig's tactical nous has improved since those days - and that he might be a bit quicker to make the change once it becomes apparent that it's not working. We do have other options, so if one option isn't working there's no reason not to try something else.

Then again, Craig's gameday tactics have always been the biggest flaw in his coaching record.:eek:

Starting Massie on Franklin was an "interesting" decision, but one which was defensible on the basis that Massie had done a number on him not that long ago (albeit aided by the elements - night time & bucket loads of rain). You could reasonably argue that he "deserved" to have first crack at Franklin based on previous performance. What wasn't defensible was leaving him there when it became readily apparent to all & sundry that Franklin was having a day out and this match-up was a disaster waiting to happen.

I'd like to think that Craig's tactical nous has improved since those days - and that he might be a bit quicker to make the change once it becomes apparent that it's not working. We do have other options, so if one option isn't working there's no reason not to try something else.

Then again, Craig's gameday tactics have always been the biggest flaw in his coaching record.:eek:
Vader, I appreciate and probably expected this response. I was not trying to have a dig at Craig or his coaching antics. I like the guy, and truly want to see him stay on.

I am not sure Massie did truly deserve another shot. The whole surprise factor is what won us the initial game. It is like throwing Shane Ellen in as Full Forward. It throws the other team out. However do it again, and the surprise factor is gone. The exception is Rutten on Tredders. Always good to see Rutten kick a goal while playing full back :D

Going back to Franklin, when he is on, everything he touches turns to gold. I would hate to have the kind of discussion we are having about Massie, about Davis. I would hate what it would do to the kids confidence. He needs to work his way up to those premium players. The only way I would agree to Davis having a crack at Franklin...is if Franklin is being double teamed.

I am not sure Massie did truly deserve another shot. The whole surprise factor is what won us the initial game. It is like throwing Shane Ellen in as Full Forward. It throws the other team out. However do it again, and the surprise factor is gone. The exception is Rutten on Tredders. Always good to see Rutten kick a goal while playing full back :D
Massie was actually a really clever match for Franklin on that first occasion and it had nothing to do with the unpredictability factor. The weather eliminated Franklin's advantage overhead and Massie destroyed him at ground level. Given the conditions, it was an inspired move. The weather conditions in the final were very different, they made the match-up about as smart as Rohan Smith on Matthew Robran in the 1998 Preliminary Final.
Going back to Franklin, when he is on, everything he touches turns to gold. I would hate to have the kind of discussion we are having about Massie, about Davis. I would hate what it would do to the kids confidence. He needs to work his way up to those premium players. The only way I would agree to Davis having a crack at Franklin...is if Franklin is being double teamed.
I think Davis is better suited to Franklin than you give him credit for. As someone pointed out, he's actually 1cm taller, so he should be able to combat Franklin overhead. He's also a very smart footballer, who knows how to get to the fall of the ball and always times his spoils to perfection.

On his day, Franklin will destroy anyone - and it won't matter if we put Davis, Rutten or Stevens on him. The result will be the same. Assuming that he's not going to be "on fire", I can't see any reason why Davis shouldn't be given first crack at him given the scalps he claimed last year. If it doesn't work, we try someone else.

PS. We will definitely be double teaming Franklin. We always do.

Going back to Franklin, when he is on, everything he touches turns to gold.

Ahh the massie thing.

I guess when you dont make a move and a bloke is getting on top, you leave yourself wide open for criticism. I have never watched the 07 final again, but I do recall Massie doing ok when the ball hit the deck. He really frustrated franklin at times. My recollection is also that buddy got a few goals off short leads (including the winner) about 45-50m out, taking a shot about 55-60 out.... and he was on song and slotted them.

Not trying to defend it- just find it interesting... there have been a few posts to the effect of "when hes playing well it doesnt matter who is on him anyway." But that logic doesnt apply to that final in 07.

Massie was actually a really clever match for Franklin on that first occasion and it had nothing to do with the unpredictability factor. The weather eliminated Franklin's advantage overhead and Massie destroyed him at ground level. Given the conditions, it was an inspired move. The weather conditions in the final were very different, they made the match-up about as smart as Rohan Smith on Matthew Robran in the 1998 Preliminary Final.

I think Davis is better suited to Franklin than you give him credit for. As someone pointed out, he's actually 1cm taller, so he should be able to combat Franklin overhead. He's also a very smart footballer, who knows how to get to the fall of the ball and always times his spoils to perfection.

On his day, Franklin will destroy anyone - and it won't matter if we put Davis, Rutten or Stevens on him. The result will be the same. Assuming that he's not going to be "on fire", I can't see any reason why Davis shouldn't be given first crack at him given the scalps he claimed last year. If it doesn't work, we try someone else.

PS. We will definitely be double teaming Franklin. We always do.

agree with this

ps this 2007 revisionism is tiresome guys - if Thommo hadn't kicked it out we would be praising Massie

Ahh the massie thing.

I guess when you dont make a move and a bloke is getting on top, you leave yourself wide open for criticism. I have never watched the 07 final again, but I do recall Massie doing ok when the ball hit the deck. He really frustrated franklin at times. My recollection is also that buddy got a few goals off short leads (including the winner) about 45-50m out, taking a shot about 55-60 out.... and he was on song and slotted them.

Not trying to defend it- just find it interesting... there have been a few posts to the effect of "when hes playing well it doesnt matter who is on him anyway." But that logic doesnt apply to that final in 07.

selective logic comes with your BF membership :thumbsu:

Just as I did one prior to last week's game, I'll do another prior to this week's. As always, this is based on what I think the club will do, not what I think should happen. I am ruling out the following due to injury:

Callinan
Shaw
Young
Craig

_B: Johncock Rutten Stevens
HB: Martin Davis Doughty
_C: Mackay Thompson Van Berlo
HF: Douglas Walker Knights
_F: Porplyzia Tippett Dangerfield
_R: Maric Reilly Vince
INT: Symes Sloane McKernan
SUB: Henderson
EMG: Tambling Jaensch Smith

After three good performances, I'm thinking that Smack will probably make a showing in Round 1, even if Tippett has fully recovered from his ankle injury. He could possibly start as a sub, but I feel it's best to start him on the bench - it means Maric has someone to swap with and Tippett doesn't have to go into the ruck.

I wouldn't particularly want Henderson as a sub, particularly given his good performances thus far, but his pace and energy would likely prove effective coming fresh into the game when everyone else is struggling a bit.

I still can't fit Jaensch into the team, but all the club needs is a Knights or Porplyzia injury and he's straight in there, so I'm sure he'll get a spot sooner than later. I don't think Tambling is quite up to speed yet with both the gameplan and his own personal fitness, but there were some encouraging signs against Carlton. I expect to see him around round four or five - some quality SANFL will do him the world of good. And Smith would be my other emergency, his performances have been particularly encouraging and the club would feel comfortable with him slotting straight into the side if need be. He might even make his debut round one, likely depending on injuries - I don't think he''s in our best 22 just yet.

For me the really interesting one will be Jacobs. Maric has had one great game and one poor game. Moran isn't doing enough in the contests, but is performing rather well around the ground. The spot is there to be taken but whether the club will slot him straight in - likely at the expense of Maric - or make him work for it in the SANFL remains to be seen.

Edit: Oh dear, I forgot Otten. That changes things.

selective logic comes with your BF membership :thumbsu:

:D

Im interested to know though, as I said, for obvious reasons Ive never watched it a second time. Was massie carved up in the way you would expect a tall to dominate a medium sized defender? Taking big clunks over his head and lining up from 30? Not really buddys style.

Or was he on the end of some short passing outside 50, with a two step head start and then dobbing them from long range... in the type of manner that wouldnt matter who played on him....?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:D

Im interested to know though, as I said, for obvious reasons Ive never watched it a second time. Was massie carved up in the way you would expect a tall to dominate a medium sized defender? Taking big clunks over his head and lining up from 30? Not really buddys style.

Or was he on the end of some short passing outside 50, with a two step head start and then dobbing them from long range... in the type of manner that wouldnt matter who played on him....?

all I remember is a feeling very early on in the game that Buddy would kick the winning goal after the siren

I had a similar feeling about the Collingwood 2009 final

Did you read past the first line? I thought I "Pauline Hansoned" it pretty well.

Did you read past the first line? I thought I "Pauline Hansoned" it pretty well.
I did, however I really don't understand how you and Vader think Davis is versatile enough for Franklin.

However, each to their own. I have said my piece, you have said yours. The common goal is beating the Hawks. If Davis does play on Franklin, then I want you to give me the biggest "told you so". :)

Beating the Hawks is way more important than me continually being proven wrong :D

you do realise this makes no sense whatsoever?

you say on the one hand it was a great move regardless of the conditions, and then talk about the how the conditions had everything to do with it?

I am with Peter "what the **** are you doing Neil" Jonas on this one.

you do realise this makes no sense whatsoever?

you say on the one hand it was a great move regardless of the conditions, and then talk about the how the conditions had everything to do with it?

I am with Peter "what the **** are you doing Neil" Jonas on this one.
Where did I say that it was a great move "regardless of the conditions"? I said that it was a great move regardless of the "unpredictability factor" (ie the fact that Hawthorn would not have expected or planned for a Massie/Franklin pairing). It was the weather conditions (in the H&A game) which made it such a great move. We all saw what happened in the return bout when the conditions were completely different..

I also said that starting Massie on Franklin in the final was defensible on the grounds that he'd beaten him in their previous encounter, aided significantly by the prevailing weather conditions. What was NOT defensible was failing to change the match-up when it became clear to all & sundry that Franklin was having a day out.

I suggest you re-read my previous posts.

Harper on aa reckons Smith is a better than 50-50 chance to debut round 1. If Martin isn't right for round 1 and Tambling doesn't earn the spot, Smith should get it.

Scratch Matches over, my side...........

Symes Rutten Stevens
Smith Davis Johncock
Mackay VB Hendo
Porps Walker Knights
Danger Tip Smack

Jacobs Vince Thommo

Bench, **** this too hard. I am so glad I dont have this job.
Maric Sloane, Martin, Jacobs, Tambling, Jaensch, Otten are all guys I want in that best 21.5.

I'm sure Slone will be in. totally ripped it up against Freo and cemented a spot
You have Jacobs twice! I know he's good but....
I'm not sold on Symes or Tambling.
Otten at 1/2 back for sure

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back