Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Drumm
I also sense that the sub will likely be a running type of player rather than a ruckman or KPP, this is why I have gone with Smith

with that said, here is my prediction

FB: Johncock, Rutten, Stevens
CHB: Doughty, Davis, van Berlo
C: Mackay, Vince, Reilly
CHF: Douglas, Tippett, Henderson
FF: Porplyzia, Walker, Dangerfield
1R: Maric, Sloane, Thompson
INT: SMACK, Tambling, Knights (Smith)

Emerg: Symes, Otten, Moran

Re Otten, he started against the Dees like a house on fire however since he has been a little patchy, I just think he needs some solid footy under his belt.

I have to say this is the side I can find the least objection to.
I have a feeling Sauce will be sighted round 3 after the bye to ensure his fitness, so it falls to Maric rather than Moran. I agree with the running sub and giving a part game to the kid looks ideal.
Good flexibility with Smack, Bling and Knighta on the bench.
Jeanchy is unlucky, He, Otten and Martin will push for a spot round 3 if fit, so the pressure to perform will be high.

I worry about Davis on Franklin, but I feel better with a more experienced Stevens in the side to help out in the "Basset" role rather than Otten.

All trial matches over now, the final team for round 1 could resemble...

B: Johncock Rutten Stevens
HB: Tambling Davis van Berlo
C: Mackay S. Thompson Douglas
HF: Knights Henderson Dangerfield
F: Porplyzia Tippett Walker
R: Maric Vince Sloane
I/C: Reilly Doughty Smith
Sub: McKernan
EMG: Jaensch Otten Symes

Moran next in line for an emergency spot, and Petrenko would have been pushing for a spot had he not sustained a groin injury:(. Hopefully he can recover fairly soon. However, that is still a strong side and if that is the side we field against the Hawks, it should be a ripper of a match.

Injured: Jacobs, Martin, Callinan, Petrenko

When symes was traded to the crows i was wrapped. I liked his hardness at port. Even in his first half or year at the club he did very well. He mopped up and defensively very sound. Unfortunately he has struggled recently. Sems to be a favourite at the club. However, Doughty is a far more better player. Disagree with Bockchoy saying symes is like our defensive general. I would have to say Doughty and Johncock are our rebounding enforcers/generals down there with Rutten as like a rock down there.

We all agree on the MAJORITY of player`s it`s only the POSITIONS
B== =Johncock-Rutten-Stevens
H/B== V.Berlo-Davis-Dougherty
M ===Hendo-Thompson-Mckay
H/F== Knights-Walker-Dangerfield
F=== Sloane-Tippett-Porps

RUCK==Maric,Vince,Douglas.

INT===Mckernan,Rielly,Tambling (Martin or Smith)

EMG Otten,Jaensch.

P.S I would still like TIPPETT in the ruck and let WALKER have the F/LINE

As always, based on what I think will happen, not what I think should happen.

Players left out due to injury:
James Craig
Brodie Martin - I think the club will be cautious and wait till Round 3 with Brodie.
Sam Shaw
Will Young
Ian Callinan

_B: Johncock Rutten Stevens
HB: Van Berlo Davis Doughty
_C: Mackay Thompson Reilly
HF: Knights Walker Henderson
_F: Dangerfield Tippett Porplyzia
_R: Maric Douglas Sloane
INT: Otten Vince Symes
SUB: McKernan
EMG: Jaensch Smith Moran

Some notes:

A couple of strong performances will make Maric that number one ruckman at the start of the season. I expect that title to go to Jacobs in a short amount of time, but I think there are a few things holding Sam back from playing Round 1 - he's coming off an injury, he's played one practice match and I expect the club to make him earn his spot by playing SANFL.

I consider the oft-criticised trio of Doughty, Reilly and Stevens to all be locks for Round 1. They have performed well and finished last year in good form. With a much younger team, their experience will be crucial whilst their inevitable replacements develop in the SANFL. Symes on the other hand is a chance to miss out, but since it's Symes...I'd wager that he will make the cut.

Smith would be very unlucky to miss out, and I would not be at all surprised if he was selected. I just couldn't fit him in. Jaensch likewise.

McKernan has done enough. Will get a spot either as a sub or starting on the bench. Used as relief for Maric and whenever Tippett or Walker need a breather. Can't see all three of them operating up there at the same time, but you never know...

Tambling's good game will do him favours but at most I see him making emergencies. Still a bit unfit and needs more match practice. A few games in the SANFL would do him the world of good. I expect to see him probably Round 3 or 4.

Otten will be fine. He's had a couple of quiet ones but I think the club has enough confidence in him to keep him in the team for the moment.

what do you think should happen bockchoy67 ?

i think you are spot on just some positional variants.

Mckernan will cause massive headaches as a freshly injected sub...
what an exciting role for smack...pinch hitter...game breaker...
perfect way to introduce the young big fella into the A grade.
good luck champ...grab it..

i'd expect that the ruckmen will be spelled throughout the year
so they are all cherry ripe for the finals crash and bash...

go crows

Right, I'm having my third (or fourth?) stab at it. Now that we've got a bit more to go on.

I'm coming around to the fact that Callinan will play. Neil seems like a fan. Some indifferent form and injury trouble probably has squeezed out Jaensch.

Doughty and Stevens are givens, as are Thompson, Rutten and Johncock.

Mackay and Vince fit are automatic selections.

Dangerfield a must. Tippett a must.

Douglas has had a quiet preseason but is the reigning B&F. A definite.

van Berlo skipper. A definite.

Tambling hasn't won Neil over yet by the sounds of it. Neither has Jacobs plus an injury means that Maric is still number one. Another untimely injury for Moran.

Symes and Reilly are interesting ones. Both in a similar boat in that they are a few years older than those competing for their spots. Reilly has the advantage of playing the defensive role, as a result he's not going to be knocked out by a Smith or Martin. Symes more at risk but I can't see him missing.

Davis has done enough this season and last season to stay ahead of L Thompson, Young and Talia who will miss out.

Henderson has his nose ahead of Gunston. Form very good and adds a different dynamic to our half forward line.

Where is Knights at? No idea.

Porplyzia? Yesplyzia. So glad he's finally got a decent preseason under his belt. A Dream Team must.

McKernan is gaining currency. Might sneak a substitute spot, at worst emergency list.

Sellar is losing ground.

Sloane one of the success stories of the preseason. In. Brodie Martin in the same boat - would be very hard to ignore him.

Thank goodness Walker kicked straight on the weekend. Hard to leave him out.

Otten looks to have made a good recovery. In.

Untimely injury for Petrenko. You don't want to be missing games now as a fringe player. I like him in defence but don't reckon he's getting a gig first up.

Not in the mix yet - Armstrong, Cook, Craig, Lyons and Shaw

So in summary:

In - Callinan, Doughty, Stevens, S Thompson, Rutten, Johncock, Mackay, Vince, Dangerfield, Tippett, Douglas, van Berlo, Maric, Symes, Reilly, Davis, Henderson, Porplyzia, Sloane, Walker, Otten, Martin (22)
??? - Knights, McKernan (2)
Out - Jaensch, Tambling, Moran, Jacobs, Smith, Young, Talia, L Thompson, Gunston, Armstrong, Cook, Craig, Sellar, Petrenko, Lyons, Shaw (16)

So that leaves:

B Johncock Rutten Stevens
HB van Berlo Davis Doughty
C Mackay Dangerfield Vince
HF Douglas Henderson Porplyzia
F Walker Tippett Callinan
1R Maric Thompson Sloane
INT Symes Reilly Otten
SUB Martin

Only worry is the ruck cover. Tippett would need to do at least 25% of the game you'd think if we only went in with Maric. Unless McKernan (or Jacobs or Moran) comes in as the sub that is, which would be tough on Brodie Martin who has been great. Personally I'd rather see any of Doughty, Stevens, Symes or Reilly miss and McKernan and Martin both play, but that won't happen.
This was my team a few weeks ago that I reckon would have been around the mark at the time. A few things have changed since then though so time to update.

Callinan - OUT. Disappointing for him. I had him in my starting 18.

Martin - injured. Don't reckon he'll be in there for Round 1. Hope he isn't out of the team too long. I had him as my sub.

So that is two spots in the 22 that have opened up.

The starting 18 spot is easy:

Knights - yay! Three goals in the last quarter hopefully he can finally string some trainings/games together. He's in.

The last spot in my 22 will come from either Jaensch, Tambling, McKernan or Smith. Given Neil's known hatred of all teenagers (;)) Smith is unlikely to get a first up gig, despite all the glowing praise he has received from the club.

Jaensch is a chance only if the match committee genuinely want a crumbing type to fill the role Callinan was ear-marked for. Otherwise it will be players like Porplyzia, Knights, Douglas and Sloane who float through the forward line. Don't reckon he's been good enough in the preseason to command a spot.

Tambling isn't a lock yet but is gaining currency.

The ruck is still the biggest issue with my 22. Jacobs and Maric in the 22? McKernan as sub for ruck cover during the game? Will Tippett spend time on ball? I don't reckon we will play two genuine ruckmen in our 21.

So basically it is Tambling or McKernan for the sub position. I really don't know what the club will decide long term. Hawks are pretty average in the ruck department and it is a night game so I reckon it will be Tambling for Round 1 with Maric flying solo and Tippett providing some ruck relief.

B Johncock Rutten Stevens
HB van Berlo Davis Doughty
C Mackay Dangerfield Vince
HF Douglas Henderson Knights
F Walker Tippett Porplyzia
1R Maric Thompson Sloane
INT Symes Reilly Otten
SUB Tambing

which ever way they go... it's starting to get a nice feel about it...
bring on the stains...

Thats not very nice!! but it is your board...

Its going to be a very interesting clash first up. We are in pretty good shape with Hodge our only question mark. However we are struggling to fit the likes of Bateman, Ellis into our 22 for round 1 so our list is pretty healthy to start the season for the first time since 2008.

Franklin has terrorised you guys a bit in games gone by and without Bock to defend him I think you will struggle to stop him if he gets a bit of ball. That said we dont play too well at your dump of a stadium.

Lets hope for a good game, good luck this year to the Crows hope to see you guys back in the finals.

Thats not very nice!! but it is your board...

Its going to be a very interesting clash first up. We are in pretty good shape with Hodge our only question mark. However we are struggling to fit the likes of Bateman, Ellis into our 22 for round 1 so our list is pretty healthy to start the season for the first time since 2008.

Franklin has terrorised you guys a bit in games gone by and without Bock to defend him I think you will struggle to stop him if he gets a bit of ball. That said we dont play too well at your dump of a stadium.

Lets hope for a good game, good luck this year to the Crows hope to see you guys back in the finals.

no doubt Franklin will be a challenge, however I also predict Tippett, Walker, McKernan and Henderson will be a handful for your under-sized defence

this game will be one in the midfield, the side that dominates the stoppages / midfield will give their forwards good supply

I wouldn't be all that disappointed if Tippett doesn't get up for this game. Obviously we're a much better side with him in it, but it would almost guarantee McKernan the spot in the side I think he's earned over the pre season and it would be Walker's first real chance to be "the man" at AFL level.

I wouldn't be all that disappointed if Tippett doesn't get up for this game. Obviously we're a much better side with him in it, but it would almost guarantee McKernan the spot in the side I think he's earned over the pre season and it would be Walker's first real chance to be "the man" at AFL level.

IMO SMACK will play regardless

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no doubt Franklin will be a challenge, however I also predict Tippett, Walker, McKernan and Henderson will be a handful for your under-sized defence

this game will be one in the midfield, the side that dominates the stoppages / midfield will give their forwards good supply

Gilham playing on Tippett concerns me no doubt, however the addition of Gibson and Stratton to our defence has improved us a great deal.

Gibson on Walker, Stratton will bath a first gamer or Henderson IMO

Gilham playing on Tippett concerns me no doubt, however the addition of Gibson and Stratton to our defence has improved us a great deal.

Gibson on Walker, Stratton will bath a first gamer or Henderson IMO
Stratton is a good player, but you are underestimating Henderson here (if they do play on each other). Hendo is extremely quick off the mark, and would give Stratton the run around I reckon.

Stratton is a good player, but you are underestimating Henderson here (if they do play on each other). Hendo is extremely quick off the mark, and would give Stratton the run around I reckon.

I agree Henderson has shown a bit in his 12 games but with 13 career goals I am not worried that he is going to tear us to shreds.

We all agree on the MAJORITY of player`s it`s only the POSITIONS
B== =Johncock-Rutten-Stevens
H/B== V.Berlo-Davis-Dougherty
M ===Hendo-Thompson-Mckay
H/F== Knights-Walker-Dangerfield
F=== Sloane-Tippett-Porps

RUCK==Maric,Vince,Douglas.

INT===Mckernan,Rielly,Tambling (Martin or Smith)

EMG Otten,Jaensch.

P.S I would still like TIPPETT in the ruck and let WALKER have the F/LINE

Think you will still find from time to time Tippett will rotate through the ruck, also Tippett and Walker are the two key forwards who we need working together as much as possible, know who goes where, make space for each other. Walker is the better long kick at goal of the two so playing him at CHF makes more sense and play Tippett closer to goal.

I agree Henderson has shown a bit in his 12 games but with 13 career goals I am not worried that he is going to tear us to shreds.

question

what is Stratton's engine like as Henderson's endurance and work rate is midfield like and off the charts, this is where Hendo will hurt sides

also interested on who will pick up Knights (HF), not to mention Dangerfield and Porplyzia when forward

Not sure we will go into the game with only 1 ruck. When we get beaten in the ruck we can struggle in the clearances and that puts pressure on the team. If Tip stays in the forward 50, I see McKernan or Moran getting a go, rotating through the ruck for 10 mins a quarter to relieve Maric and 10 mins or so up forward to give Tip and Tex a 5-ish minute break each quarter. Both Moran and McKernan can play forward as I think we need to be able to give them a rest.

The sub for me would be a runner or Otten type who can play basically anywhere.

Team for round 1 for me would be something like:

Johncock - Rutten - Stevens
van Berlo - Davis - Doughty
MacKay - Thompson - Vince
Knights - Henderson - Dangerfield
Walker - Tippett - Porps

Maric - Reilly - Sloanne

McKernan/Moran - Otten - Douglas - Tambling (Sub)

question

what is Stratton's engine like as Henderson's endurance and work rate is midfield like and off the charts, this is where Hendo will hurt sides

also interested on who will pick up Knights (HF), not to mention Dangerfield and Porplyzia when forward

Stratton's engine is very good. Not sure of how he finished in our time trial.. but I didn't see anyone blow him up in 2010.

Knights - Birchall or attacking type HBF Knights unlikely to be in ripping form having missed most of last year and only had 1-2 games of preseason this year.

Porps - Murphy done very well in the last 12-18 months on oppositions best small to medium forward. Cleaned up Stevie J twice, done good jobs on Milne, Betts

Dangerfield - Gibson should have Dangerfield covered in the air, Dangerfield will be dangerous with the ball on the ground.

Throw me some likely matchups for

Rough
Buddy
Hale
Cyril

Not exactly sure how we are going to line up down there but I'm sure at times all 3 of the tall timber will be in the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back