Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really not a fan of playing 2 genuine ruckmen, but Moran does offer something up forward and the loss of Tippett basically compels it.

_B: Johncock, Rutten, Stevens
HB: Martin, Davis, Doughty
_C: Mackay, Thompson, Van Berlo
HF: Douglas Walker Knights
_F: Porplyzia McKernan Dangerfield
FO: Maric Sloane Vince
INT: Moran Reilly Jaensch (Otten)
EMG: Symes Smith L. Thompson

If Henderson does play, then swap him for Jaensch.

I like this team. All positions covered well. Thompson seems an odd choice for emergency but chucking Tambling in there instead would mean three flankers which doesn't sit well with me in case a big man goes down prior to the siren. Plus he was in good form last week.

Once Kurt comes back in, Moran goes out (unless of course he plays well on Saturday night).

not a fan of three big men..especially if it is gonna be a slippery evening
given weatherzone expecting rain periods till friday...

I reckon maric and mckernan are go...moran to miss out...

I'd ruck Maric and with McKernan relieving and no problem with Ivan forward from time to time. Three runners on the bench. I had a crack at naming a side a while ago, but it's all too hard for me.
Otto or Stevo as the sub? maybe, or is Craig foxing?
Martin should play. He was outstanding at the weekend.
There are going to be some good and in form players running around in SANFL trial matches at the weekend.

Are you okay then with playing Maric up forward?

I'm okay with playing a shorter forward line for what could be a slippery night as mentioned a minute ago. Mckernan + Walker, then you have Porps who basically is a marking forward, Knights, Jaensch, Hendo (if named) can all kick a goal.

I also don't think Maric is totally useless up forward if you don't consider his chasing ability. I also think that Craig will use Stevens up forward (not happy about this) but its a classic Craig wildcard...

You're talking a risk having just Walker up there when McKernan rucks, especially given Tex's inability to bring the ball to ground. It basically forces players to find short options as opposed to going long.

Not particularly a bad thing of course but it means that bombing it long under pressure won't be nearly as effective as it will be chopped out time after time. We'd have to rely a lot more on using Tex, Porps and Dangerfield as leading targets and using Knights to roam CHF and bring the ball into the 50.

If it's a wet night, it'll likely be a scrappy game which means short hit-ups become a lot harder and it's a lot more likely to rebound out of there. Keep that in mind.

On Adelaide Now:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/craig-says-otten-is-perfect-sub/story-e6freck3-1226026235958

"An Andy Otten or Scott Stevens would make the perfect sub," Craig said today.
"Andy could come on and play down back or in the midfield … and Scott Stevens can go forward or back, so he also gives us some flexibility.
"I'm not saying that's necessarily what we'll do, but I think they're the type of players that would made a good substitute."

NO, I suspect he's telling us exactly what he will do. AO for sub. Won't be Stevens, that's for sure.

Bit disappointed with this actually. There is a risk to using the sub offensively (like having a running player to come on in the third quarter) but using the sub purely as cover for an injury isn't going to cut it IMO.

Ok so time to re-do my Round 1 team.

This time I have looked at it like this.

First the certainties:

Johncock Rutten ??
Doughty Davis VB
Mackay Thompson ??
Knights McKernan Douglas
Porplyzia Walker Dangerfield

?? Reilly Sloane

?? ?? ?? Sub: ??

So the next step is the most likely
Stevens will play, but I suspect may be the man subbed off
Vince plays if fit
Henderson would be an automatic aside from injury. I believe he will play though.
B Martin I believe will play
Maric will get first crack at ruck

Hence the team becomes

Johncock Rutten Stevens
Doughty Davis VB
Mackay Thompson B Martin
Knights McKernan Douglas
Porplyzia Walker Dangerfield

Maric Reilly Sloane

Vince Henderson ?? Sub: ??

So that looks to me like 2 spots available, with the options being:
Otten
Symes (may be injured?)
Brodie Smith
L Thompson
Moran
Jaensch
Talia
Tambling

With Henderson playing and McKernan in the team (and also Stevens if needed), I can't see Moran getting a gig.
I also can't see B Smith debuting in this game, but it won't be far away.
L Thompson not yet, ditto Talia

Otten seems to be Craigs preferred Sub at this point. So to me that leaves a choice between Symes, Jaensch and Tambling. I can see Craig going for Tambling this week.

So my final team (making adjustments for positions on ground) would be:

FB: Johncock Rutten Stevens
HB: Doughty Davis Van Berlo
C: Mackay Thompson Douglas
HF: Henderson McKernan Knights
FF: Porplyzia Walker Dangerfield

Maric Reilly Sloane

Vince B Martin Tambling Sub: Otten

EMG: Symes (to play if Mackay not 100%), Jaensch, Moran

Not sure if the process worked all that well, but really like the look of the team. Good balance across the lines, flexibility and ability to cover most eventualities.

Crows to win by 25 points!

My Round 1 team Prediction

B 22 A.Otten 25 B.Rutten 27 S.Stevens
HB 1 R.Tambling 16 P.Davis 18 G.Johncock
C 11 M.Doughty 5 S.Thompson 14 D.MacKay
HF 21 C.Knights 35 S.McKernan 32 P.Dangerfield
F 40 J.Porplyzia 13 T.Walker 10 M.Jaensch
R 20 I.Maric 17 B.Vince 7 N.Van Berlo

INT 15 B.Symes 24 S.Jacobs 26 R.Douglas 3 B.Reilly (Sub)

EMG 2 B.Moran 23 J.Petrenko 46 C.Schmidt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interested to hear any thoughts from Norwood fans in particular on Paul Puopolo. He's a very good chance to play round 1 and some local knowledge would be great. Not a dreamteam question just general thoughts on his game and how you think he'll fare with the step up to the next level.

Article on afc.com.au about Sloaney, in particular him bringing over 60 mates to watch the game before his birthday celebrations.

Hopefully they sit them in Bay 114 as well to get rowdy. I was near his mates in his debut and they loved it.

Interested to hear any thoughts from Norwood fans in particular on Paul Puopolo. He's a very good chance to play round 1 and some local knowledge would be great. Not a dreamteam question just general thoughts on his game and how you think he'll fare with the step up to the next level.
I doubt he'd have much local knowledge - the SANFL clubs don't get to play at Footy Park very often these days.

I'm sure Drummond will be able to give you some detailed thoughts on Puopolo as a player. He was mighty distressed when the Redlegs had so many players drafted last year.

First time posting here, read many threads for a fair while, but a mate of mine whose who is fairly close mates with a player down at the Club has been told Brodie Smith will be making his debut this week against the Hawks.

Make of it what you will, but like he said to me wait until the official team is released on Thursday Night.

WALL-e: Silly me, I thought they were all just released today.

DangerRoo32 - Welcome to Bigfooty mate! Very interesting rumour you have there given most of us couldn't fit Smith into our teams. Personally, I hope that you're right.

First time posting here, read many threads for a fair while, but a mate of mine whose who is fairly close mates with a player down at the Club has been told Brodie Smith will be making his debut this week against the Hawks.

Make of it what you will, but like he said to me wait until the official team is released on Thursday Night.
Would love to see it happen. Hope you're right! :thumbsu:

Defence: Smith, Stevens, Johncock, Davis, Rutten, Doughty
Midfield: Danger, Mackay, Vince, Thompson, Sloane, Douglas
Forwards Walker, Mckernan, Porps, Knights, Jaench, Martin
Ruck: Maric
Bench Tambling, Reily, Symes
Sub: Andy Otten

Without Injuries I would also have Tippett, Jacobs and Callinan in that side with Callinan replacing Jaench, Tippett dropping McKernan to the bench and Jacobs replacing Maric.

I love the intestinal fortitude of posting a rumour first up. Nice job and welcome to bigfooty. I hope your mate is on the money too, for what its worth.

Welcome aboard ... :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back