I'm ready to call it! Team for round 1 will be:

Porplyzia Walker McKernan
Knights Dangerfield Sloane
Mackay Thompson Van Berlo
Tambling Stevens Otten
Johncock Rutten Davis

Maric Vince Reilly

Douglas Symes Doughty (Jaensch)

Martin & Hendo will need one more week in the snaffle before being considered. We won't risk blokes who aren't 100%.

I think you are right on the money here with the 22. Could be someone else takes the sub position.

Also wonder whether Smith will make the 22 over an Otten, Jaensch or Symes. Have not heard anything about him lately but noticed he did not line up for his SANFL team last weekend. So he is definitely in the mix.

I think you are right on the money here with the 22. Could be someone else takes the sub position.

Also wonder whether Smith will make the 22 over an Otten, Jaensch or Symes. Have not heard anything about him lately but noticed he did not line up for his SANFL team last weekend. So he is definitely in the mix.
Smith played all 4 rounds of the MMC, so would not have been able to play in the SANFL last week under the AFLPA collective bargaining agreement.

Only those who missed out on MMC games, or spent their pre-season in the SANFL anyway, were granted leave to play in the SANFL last weekend.

Smith played all 4 rounds of the MMC, so would not have been able to play in the SANFL last week under the AFLPA collective bargaining agreement.

Only those who missed out on MMC games, or spent their pre-season in the SANFL anyway, were granted leave to play in the SANFL last weekend.

Interesting I did not know that. So on his form from the Richmond game probably not in the 22 then?

The team for round 1 virtually picks itself. Only one spot up for grabs.

Due to injury, lack of preparation or sin bin we can cross out Armstrong, Craig, Henderson, Jacobs, Martin, Petrenko, Shaw and Tippett (lucky we haven't many injuries)

So it will be

Johncock Rutten Stevens
(Young) (Talia)

Doherty Davis Tambling
(L Thompson)

Mackay van Berlo Vince

Knights McKernan Sloane

Porplyzia Walker Dangerfield
(Gunston)

Maric Reilly Otten
(Smith)
Douglas
Jaensch Symes (S)Thompson (??????)

Now instead of going for the obvious, I am calling on the following changes from NC & the MC.

1) I know he was third in the B & F last year and top five in the last three years but he is going to be 32 in August.
Out - Dougherty, In - Luke Thompson

2) O.K. he is coming off a career best year (4th in the B & F) is our best/only tagger but do we reilly need to tag the Hawthorn mid-fielders?
Out - Reilly, In - Brodie Smith

3) I know he had a great second half to 2010, finished 9th in the B & F and has been fantastic in the pre-season but he occassionally makes a horrible turnovers
Out - Stevens, In - Daniel Talia

4) O.K. so no-ones kicked a bag on him since TW13 was playing Auskick and he's in the best shape of his career but he gave away that free to Jack Anthony and he looks funny when he's running down the field.
Out - Rutten, In - Will Young (it's only a finger)

5)I know he has finally had a decent pre-season but he isn't the sharp shooter he used to be.
Out - Porplyzia, In - Jack Gunston

6) I know he has had his first full pre-season in three years, is very courageous and runs hard into defence but his kick has more hang time than a NFL punter.
Out - Symes, In - ??????

This is where it gets tough. We can't have Moran, Sellar or Cook because the AFC is instituting a new "one whipping boy" rule for 2011. (That would be you Richard Tambling), we haven't upgraded Matthew Wright so come on down Jarryd Lyons.

Now if we could only get Vlad to bring in a no-one over 25 rule we will be smoking.

This will probably happen -

Code:
B:	Johncock	Rutten		Stevens
HB:	Doughty		Davis		Symes
C:	Mackay		Vince		van Berlo
HF:	Knights		Walker		Sloane
F:	Porplyzia	McKernan	Douglas
R:	Maric		Thompson	Dangerfield

IC:	Reilly		Otten		Moran
SUB:	(Martin, Jaensch, Henderson)

EMG:	Smith (Martin, Jaensch, Henderson)

But this is what I want to happen (Symes & Moran out of the team) -

Code:
B:	Johncock	Rutten		Stevens
HB:	Doughty		Davis		van Berlo
C:	Mackay		Vince		Martin
HF:	Knights		Walker		Sloane
F:	Porplyzia	McKernan	Douglas
R:	Maric		Thompson	Dangerfield

IC:	Reilly		Otten		Henderson
SUB:	Jaensch

EMG:	Smith		Symes		Moran

Wow AFGM, you know how to swing the axe!

I could see all of the players you have picked to replace others in the team as all being first starts, but only in a few seasons time if they continue to improve. A few will play games this year, Smith, L Thompson, Gunston and Young are a good chance the others only possible with a bad run of injuries.

Leaving, Radar, Truck, Stevo, Porps and Dogga out in round one?
I think you know something about the ones you want to replace them with. Thought provoking yes....likely to happen...like Joolia G lining up at full forward for the Dogs.;)

Otten I can agree with in making a good sub, he can play literally anywhere on the ground, his ability to play midfield is especially important but Stevens?? Besides one or two times where he's got under the guard of the opposition, his actual ability up forward is way overrated. Who would you sub Stevens on for anyway? Walker and Tippett are far better forwards.

Would have thought subbing on a running-type player who can inject line-breaking ability into our side would make more sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Otten - no

Stevens - yes
Curious to know your thinking..

I would have thought that Otten would make an ideal substitute. He's able to play as either a 3rd tall defender, or a very good midfielder. That sort of flexibility makes him perfect for the job.

Not so sure about Stevens. I guess Craig is referring to his ability to play both forward and in defence. I'm not so convinced myself.

Some clubs will be using the sub position to ease players back as they return from injury, others will be going with the "impact player" option, others will go with someone like Otten who offers versatility. I'd see us taking the 3rd option - and I think Otten offers far more flexibility than Stevens.

Otten I can agree with in making a good sub, he can play literally anywhere on the ground, his ability to play midfield is especially important but Stevens?? Besides one or two times where he's got under the guard of the opposition, his actual ability up forward is way overrated. Who would you sub Stevens on for anyway? Walker and Tippett are far better forwards.

Would have thought subbing on a running-type player who can inject line-breaking ability into our side would make more sense.

Ok, I’m going to suggest Stevens is a yes (as I did 2 post up) and back it up with some info. He can play in a multiple of positions (defense, forward and ruck in a pinch) and over time has been able to get under the guard of teams.

IMO he will be the ideal player to start as the player on the bench as the substitute and then be injected into the game late in the 2nd quarter or early in the 3rd as the pace of the game has been removed. He is not the quickest player now. Give him a quarter or half to suss out the game and then use his experience when its needed most, late in the game.

Who could he replace? Davis if he is getting touched at CHB, Otten if his fitness levels are not quite up to the required levels yet after spending 18 months away from the game, the 3rd tall if they are failing to get a touch or any ruckman who as become ineffective.

I wouldn’t start Otten on the bench as the substitute this week as he will be a bit nervous and sitting there waiting will make it worse. I would start him straight away and let him get into the action. If he was being ineffective, he could be replaced.

May be the case you Sub Stevens in for Brodie Smith, then Move Stevo the HBF and Otto into the middle.

When players can play multiple positions, it helps.
I can see where you're heading with that. Otten & Stevens are interchangeable as 3rd tall defender, Otten is interchangeable with our other mids.. The problem with playing dominoes like this is that it will unsettle the team by having 1 injury force a whole stack of changes to the team structure.

I'm ready to call it! Team for round 1 will be:

Porplyzia Walker McKernan
Knights Dangerfield Sloane
Mackay Thompson Van Berlo
Tambling Stevens Otten
Johncock Rutten Davis

Maric Vince Reilly

Douglas Symes Doughty (Jaensch)

Martin & Hendo will need one more week in the snaffle before being considered. We won't risk blokes who aren't 100%.

Surely Vince is more underdone than Martin. Both played in SANFL last week, yet Vince missed a lot of preseason plus first 2 games of preseason.

If Martin misses, Vince certainly should as well.

I can see where you're heading with that. Otten & Stevens are interchangeable as 3rd tall defender, Otten is interchangeable with our other mids.. The problem with playing dominoes like this is that it will unsettle the team by having 1 injury force a whole stack of changes to the team structure.
There's very few players on our entire playing list that can only play 1 possy though.

I'd be pretty confident in playing rotation.

Ofcourse you'd be subject to damage via injury, but with a three man bench, injury will very likely decide more than a few games this year.

True.. but few offer the flexibility that Otten does.

Danger can play in the midfield, or go forward - but at the end of the day he's still playing as a mid-sized player, who could only replace another mid-sized player. Most of the rest of the team fall into the same category - they can only replace another similar sized player, though they do have positional flexibility in that they can play forward, midfield or defence.

Otten has the ability to play tall or mid-sized, giving him a whole range of options not available to the majority of our players. I guess, in the extreme case, you could argue that Stevens has the ability to play tall and very tall (ruck), but that's stretching things a bit.

Then again, if Leigh Brown can be a premiership ruckman then there's no reason why Scott Stevens can't. Give me Stevens over Brown any day of the week.

The team for round 1 virtually picks itself. Only one spot up for grabs.

Due to injury, lack of preparation or sin bin we can cross out Armstrong, Craig, Henderson, Jacobs, Martin, Petrenko, Shaw and Tippett (lucky we haven't many injuries)

When did Henderson and Martin get ruled out. IMO they are both best 22. Both have had full preseasons and played sanfl on weekend. Albeit Hendo got a corky and missed most of the game. Hendo is has had less preparation than Martin, but neither have been ruled out yet.

Martin missed one and a half AFL games in all of the pre-season and played a full game in SANFL last week. IMO Martin plays. I'd also play Henderson if he has recovered enough from Corky.

True.. but few offer the flexibility that Otten does.

Danger can play in the midfield, or go forward - but at the end of the day he's still playing as a mid-sized player, who could only replace another mid-sized player. Most of the rest of the team fall into the same category - they can only replace another similar sized player, though they do have positional flexibility in that they can play forward, midfield or defence.

Otten has the ability to play tall or mid-sized, giving him a whole range of options not available to the majority of our players. I guess, in the extreme case, you could argue that Stevens has the ability to play tall and very tall (ruck), but that's stretching things a bit.

Then again, if Leigh Brown can be a premiership ruckman then there's no reason why Scott Stevens can't. Give me Stevens over Brown any day of the week.
mm, Otten would indeed be ideal, if it weren't for the fact that by having him as a sub, you miss having him for half (or more) of the game.

Otto could technically still play the role of sub, but interchange with the player who was replaced by the actual sub....if that makes sense. At the end of the day, if someone with Otto's flexibility, who was the 22nd best player on our list, then that's perfect.

Though given Otto's lack of game practice, he may need a week or two as sub to break in.

When did Henderson and Martin get ruled out. IMO they are both best 22. Both have had full preseasons and played sanfl on weekend. Albeit Hendo got a corky and missed most of the game. Hendo is has had less preparation than Martin, but neither have been ruled out yet.

Martin missed one and a half AFL games in all of the pre-season and played a full game in SANFL last week. IMO Martin plays. I'd also play Henderson if he has recovered enough from Corky.

I also believe that both Henderson and Martin are in our top 21. Henderson is particularly critical to our structure. His efforts to maintain pressure on opposition defenders when we played the top four teams late last year was outstanding. Martin may become our trump card in providing defensive rebound. My concern is that we can't afford to take players that are less than 100% fit into round 1. I hope I am wrong and they both play.

I also agree that Otten will be the likely sub. Iirc Kurt also mentioned Otten first when asked which players he thought would suit the sub rule.

If Henderson doesn't get up, Jaensch seems like a shoe-in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back