Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Wood Duck

I see Porplyzia, Jaensch and Dirty Harry Callinan as different types of players who may play different types of roles

Porplyzia as a forward Jason actually plays taller than his size and he is more of a leading / marking forward, however I would like to see Jason spend a more time in the midfield and I think that this will be the case in 2011

Jaensch, I like this lad a lot (and by all reports his skin folds are way down) however even though he has had some success up forward I would like to see Matty play further up the ground where he can use his pace and raking kick to kick over the zones

Callinan, at AFL level he is very much suited in a small forward role, his footy smarts and elite foot skills will make him deadly inside the forward 50m, not to mention that he may fly under the oppositions Radar.....

I just sense that at the age of 27 the club has recruited Ian for a specific need / purpose and he may get his opprtunity as early as round 1 and if he does he wont let go.......

They are definately different players, I just cant see them all playing in the same team.

Im not 100% sold on Callinan exclusively as a small forward (ala Eddie Betts), Im not sure he has enough tricks. I reckon he plays his best football as a midfielder, just not sure if he is going to have the pace to pull it off. I reckon he is good enough to play AFL football but I'm not really sure why. I think it might end up a pinch hitting role.

Love to have both in there Starsky. Who drops out?

Haha well that's the hard bit isn't it!
I was just making a suggestion about who to include, I'm just not too sure who drops out:p:eek:.... at the moment there seems to be about 25-26 players that could fit into that 22. There will be some extremely unlucky lads come round 1 I'm sure. Glad I'm not on the selection panel! It can only be a good thing for the club though.:thumbsu:

In saying that though, I'm sure injuries/form will come into play at some stage.

They are definately different players, I just cant see them all playing in the same team.

Im not 100% sold on Callinan exclusively as a small forward (ala Eddie Betts), Im not sure he has enough tricks. I reckon he plays his best football as a midfielder, just not sure if he is going to have the pace to pull it off. I reckon he is good enough to play AFL football but I'm not really sure why. I think it might end up a pinch hitting role.

agree, definitely not an Eddie Betts type of player, however he can hurt the opposition inside the forward 50m with his footy smarts and elite foot skills

callinan's position in the side could be very well determined on how Craigy uses Porpy and Matty J

Reilly is our best stopper.

Who do you give the shut down role to if you take him out. Remember he played ripping footy late last year as well.

Not saying he deserves a spot over Martin either, just getting the debate going.
Reilly gets dropped for the same reason that VB, Douglas, Stevens and Doughty are not in the best 22.

Very difficult to put a side together at this point in time.

There are competitions for spots in the team.

Probably get shot for saying this but assessing our squad, I've come up with a list of 7 players who I'd prefer as squad players in 2011:

Michael Doughty
Scott Stevens
Brent Reilly
James Sellar
Brad Moran
Brad Symes
Myke Cook

4 or more of these players in the side at one time, we are either:

a) Struggling
b) Have injuries again
c) Stifling the development of youngsters on our list
or d) All of the above

Our bottom 6 in the 22, needs to improve markedly in my opinion.

Very difficult to put a side together at this point in time.

There are competitions for spots in the team.

Probably get shot for saying this but assessing our squad, I've come up with a list of 7 players who I'd prefer as squad players in 2011:

Michael Doughty
Scott Stevens
Brent Reilly
James Sellar
Brad Moran
Brad Symes
Myke Cook

a) Struggling
b) Have injuries again
or d) All of the above

Our bottom 6 in the 22, needs to improve markedly in my opinion.

I think that is a very reasonable point of view...I'd be adding Armstrong and Petrenko to that list also.

Michael Doughty
Scott Stevens
Brent Reilly
James Sellar
Brad Moran
Brad Symes
Myke Cook

a) Struggling
b) Have injuries again
or d) All of the above
The first 3 named are all members of our best 22 and their inclusion signifies none of the above.

Sellar is an interesting case. He may get opportunities due to the introduction of the substitute rule, his mobility & flexibility getting him over the line where we would previously have played 2 dedicated ruckmen (Jacobs & Maric). Right now he's ahead of McKernan in the queue.

Brad Moran is the joker in the pack. He has the mobility to be the flexible 2nd ruckman. However, there are two questions which need to be answered. How well has he recovered from his knee ops, noting that he's been out of the game for 18 months? Is he good enough? Right now he's competing with Sellar & McKernan. Where he sits in the pecking order is anyone's guess.

You won't get any argument from me about Symes or Cook. I can't find a position for them in my best 25.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still wiping that egg off your face are you sunshine?:rolleyes:

Just be a man and eat that humble pie like so many others have done when it comes to Douglas, even myself.

The kid can play the game and is only going to get better, just sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

I want to believe.

It would be really nice to see Dougie step up again this year. He was a stand out in an underdone, poorley performing, rabble last year.

I seriously hope that he can be a stand out again, but this time in a much much better team.

I may become a believer.

Not in these parts, apparently.

If you're not at least a tad concerned about why and how a player like Richard Douglas was able to win our club B & F, then I'm afraid the joke is on you.
We all acknowledge that there are many better players on our list. We also acknowledge that most of them had stinkers of a year in 2010, for one reason or another (usually related to injury - many of them pre-season).

The fact of the matter is that he was a just and deserving winner in 2010, as the best and most consistent player in our team during that particular season.

The fact of the matter is that he was a just and deserving winner in 2010, as the best and most consistent player in our team during that particular season.

Fair call, but he has more flaws in his game than you can poke a stick at. Again, it's the concern about rewarding effort and diligence over actual brilliance.

If Brent Reilly wins it next year, we'll have to have a really serious chat.

Fair call, but he has more flaws in his game than you can poke a stick at. Again, it's the concern about rewarding effort and diligence over actual brilliance.

If Brent Reilly wins it next year, we'll have to have a really serious chat.
If Brent Reilly wins it in 2011 then that will be an indication that we've had another annus horribilus - and heads will almost certainly roll, starting with Schwerdt and Craig.

You would expect that some (many) of our more talented players would step back up to the plate in 2011, having (finally) recovered from the injuries which ruined their respective 2010 campaigns. These players would be heavily favoured to win the Club Champion award next year.

I find it hard to understand the resistance to giving Douglas credit for 2010. Sure he needs to really back it up and has played some really bad games in the past. And there's little doubt his B&F season wasn't quite as impressive as Vince's or Bock's for example.

But geez, we need some game-winners in the midfield and Dougie has hat quality in spades. And what's more, he won those games in a season when no one else was standing up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back