Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I never claimed he had elite pace.

No, but you pulled elite from your clacker when I gave firm examples of players who DO have genuine pace. Everybody else here knows exactly what I mean when I say Richard Douglas doesn't have genuine pace, so stop with the BS semantics.

You are losing your marbles because of your irrational vitriolic hate for a player.
I don't hate him. I said he annoys me. I'm sure we all have a player or two in our own team who annoys us.

Richard Douglas breaks open games with those 3 qualities. You're the one who deciding to take one element out of that description and turn my statement into something it is not. On its own, his pace isn't elite, but with his other two main attributes, he is a game breaker.

You SAID he had, and I quote, "game-breaking pace." Chris Judd has game-breaking pace. Richard Douglas, whilst not slow, does not.

No, but you pulled elite from your clacker when I gave firm examples of players who DO have genuine pace. Everybody else here knows exactly what I mean when I say Richard Douglas doesn't have genuine pace, so stop with the BS semantics.

Semantics? Or definition. Genuine does not equal elite. To say Aaron Davey has genuine pace is an exercise in understatement.

You SAID he had, and I quote, "game-breaking pace." Chris Judd has game-breaking pace. Richard Douglas, whilst not slow, does not.

You don't seem to understand what a cumulative description is. All three of those traits together equate to a game-breaking player. This is my argument. Please work on your reading comprehension skills in future.

FB: Stevens, Rutten, Johncock
CHB: Tambling, Davis, Doughty
C: Mackay, Thompson, Martin
CHF: Porplyzia, Henderson, Knights
FF: Jaensch, Tippett, Walker
1R: Jacobs, Dangerfield, Douglas
INT: Sloane, Reilly, van Berlo (Otten)

EMG: Petrenko, Symes, Thompson

Too easy. :thumbsu:

Oh and Slippery Pete, love your work mate, agree with your posts in this thread.
No room for Bernard, Drum?

Fine, I'll do another one, in no way shamelessly stealing from another poster

FB: Stevens, Rutten, Johncock
CHB: Tambling, Davis, Doughty
C: Mackay, Thompson, Douglas
CHF: Porplyzia, Henderson, Knights
FF: Jaensch, Tippett, Walker
1R: Jacobs, Dangerfield, Vince
INT: Sloane, Reilly, van Berlo (Maric)

EMG: Symes, Martin, Young/Thompson/Talia

No Otten until he has some more competitive football under his belt, he just missed a whole season.

I don't like this substitute nonsense, but someone on the interchange or the subseat has to be a ruckman to relieve or worst case replace Jacobs.

As for Douglas, yes, he had a great year, credit where it's due. If he's still our best player next year, then we've got serious issues - or he's improved orders of magnitude a second season in a row.

So Porps seems to be the forgotten man in all this. He should finally get through a full pre-season!

The Porpoise! Now there's a bloke with elite skills.

Man, we really were smashed by injuries last year.

Genuine pace is elite pace. He pulled elite from his clacker because he was losing the argument.
Oh no, trust me on this - we are all the losers here.

Back on track - this is my team for Rd1: 2011

B: Johncock - Rutten - Stevens
HB: Tambling - Davis - Van Berlo
C: Otten - Thompson - Mackay
HF: Knights - Walker - Henderson
F: Dangerfield - Tippett - Porplyzia
1R: Maric - Vince - Douglas
I: Doughty- Sellar - Sloane
Sub: Reilly

EMG - Petrenko, Jacobs, Symes

Left out - Armstrong, Martin, Talia, McKernan, Smith, Gunston, Thompson, Moran.

Back on track - this is my team for Rd1: 2011

B: Johncock - Rutten - Stevens
HB: Tambling - Davis - Van Berlo
C: Otten - Thompson - Mackay
HF: Knights - Walker - Henderson
F: Dangerfield - Tippett - Porplyzia
1R: Maric - Vince - Douglas
I: Doughty- Sellar - Sloane
Sub: Reilly

EMG - Petrenko, Jacobs, Symes

Left out - Armstrong, Martin, Talia, McKernan, Smith, Gunston, Thompson, Moran.
Jaensch? :confused:

Left out I am afraid... It was between him and porps for that position and I am picking Porps based on a full preseason...

I know that Sloane, Jaensch and Hendo all played very well their 12-14 games in 2010, but i think they will show a bit more inconsistency in 2011 (2nd year blues)...
Yeah but my point is that you don't even have him on your 'left out' list, so where the heck is he? He's at least 34th on your list to play, 34th!?!

People underestimate what Special J brings to the table. The guy has elite foot skills, and what do we probably lack more than anything else? Players will elite skill. His kicking is sublime, he's quick, he's got footy nous, he's a must in our side IMO.

Yeah but my point is that you don't even have him on your 'left out' list, so where the heck is he? He's at least 34th on your list to play, 34th!?!

People underestimate what Special J brings to the table. The guy has elite foot skills, and what do we probably lack more than anything else? Players will elite skill. His kicking is sublime, he's quick, he's got footy nous, he's a must in our side IMO.

Says the man who left out Bernie Vince?

Admittedly i should have Special J on the list of left outs and I could see him being an emergency come round 1..... it was an oversight by me....

However I just cant squeeze him into my team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I noticed a number of mock teams don't have a back up ruckman, do we expect Jacobs to ruck a whole game?

Tried doin a 22 and gotta say if we are fully fit (unlikely) it's gonna be extremely difficult pickin who plays and who doesn't....

From glancing over a few of these best 22's I disagree with Matty Janesch in the best 22....porps, danger, sloane, dougy all ahead of him and all have the ability to run in the midfield which with the interchange rule will be crucial....gets beaten real easily in one on one contest, floats in and out of games and just doesn't have the flexibility of the other boys.... Ya'd think he'd get a few games but not best 22....

The other one is Brodie Martin not in all of the teams....lock this guy onto a half back flank ladies and gentlemen. Our run from half back from years gone by has been desimated (bock, McLeod, goody all gone) what this guy provides in skill, run and carry is gonna be invaluable.his rnd 22 game against st.Kilda is what craigy should be expecting from brodie on a consistent level this year..really looking forward to a fit and firing Martin take teams apart.... Just love how he takes the game on.....

Otherwise I believe our fortune rest in the hands of a fit list and ultimately with Taylor Walker and Kurt Tippett....and I'm very confident, VERY!

Otherwise I believe our fortune rest in the hands of a fit list and ultimately with Taylor Walker and Kurt Tippett....and I'm very confident, VERY!

When are we going to re-ignite the Tippett in the ruck or up forward debate again?

It's going to come up again in 2011, bet your bottom dollar on it.

I was dead against having the K-man in the ruck this year, but his kicking for goal plunged to new depths. I'm not sure if I can take another year of Tip spraying them all over the place. Another season of that and he'll earn the nickname Richo the 2nd.

If the ball is within 40 of goal in the forward line I am happy for Tippett to do the rucking otherwise forward 95% of the time. It hasn't worked for the last two seasons. Tippett and Walker need the whole season to become the fear dynamic duo we all hope they can.

I agree with Slippery Pete that Tipps goal kicking needs to be ironed out this preseason or he does become a liability that we can't keep going to in games. The Richo comparison is very apt.

IMO there will be a number 1 ruck and then a swingman ruck from either Moran, Sellar or Smack. It has been already shown in their training vids that this is the way they are thinking.

Number 1 ruck is between Maric and Jacobs and the above three are vying for this spot. On the bench should be 2 mids and the 2nd ruck option with another mid in the sub spot.

On another spots in the side....

Hendo v Doughty/Stevens/Otto

Now this seems daft, but I have tried to get Hendo in and the only way I can see him getting in if either, Stevens, Doughty or Otto weren't picked. Seeing that Stevo and Dogga are in the leadership group if they are fit you'd think they would play. So its whether Otto is match fit for round 1 then Hendo might get a go.

Callinan v Jaensch
For the small forwards position its youth v experience. Both have great kicks, both know how to find the goals, Callinan is probably a better kick for goal atm, but MJ has more leg speed. Both have clean hands and move to the right spots.

Going to be very interesting in the NAB MMC to see how they play them. Could see one in each side if we choose to play two different teams in the two games we play.

Martin v D-Mac/Otto/Tambling/Stevo

I would love to have Martin in the team and these are the three who may give up a round one spot for him. Tambling is only there if he doesn't come up after his rehab. D-Mac was scratchy at best last season so he could come under pressure. Otto is there for the same reasons I had for him and Hendo. Stevo or Davis might be a match up situation of having too many talls in the defense. But in leadership so probably not.

Feel free to pick to pieces.

Round 1 selection will be facinating especially if we have a full list to chose from.......

Of keen interest will be how clubs manage the sub rule and how this impacts team structure and balance. With this in mind I do believe that most clubs will go in with only 1 genuine ruckman with a back up who can also play as a genuine KP.

In terms of our rucks, I have always admired Maric however I have always viewed big Ivan as a great support ruck (under the old rules) and with the recruitment of Jacobs I feel that we need to go in with a 200cm+ ruckman who can compete with the bigger guys in the comp........

With the emergence of Hendo, Jaensch and Martin, the recruitment of Tambling, Jacobs and Callinan and the return of Knights, D-Mac, Otto, VB and Porpy to full fitness competition for spots will be hot and early season form could hold plenty of weight to round 1 selection.

An addedd bonus would be if SMACK, Gunstan, Talia and Shaw could follow Hendo's 2010 lead and really add some selection pressure in 2011.

On a few players in particular

Heno
IMO he is a monty for round 1 selection, he is the complete prototype of a modern footballer and apprently his 2010 game endurance tracking was off the charts, imagine what he will do with another pre-season under his belt.

Dogga and Stevens
I was critical of both players in the first half of 2010, however both players finished the 2010 season strongly and were again voted by their peers in the leadership group. I can't see them missing round 1 selection, however with that said being in the leadership group should not be a gold pass for the enitre season selection, they need to perform.

Otten
Round 1 selection will largely depend on NAB cup form and how quickly he adjusts to competitive AFL footy again. Full training is one thing however match fitness, confidence and recovery is a different kettle of fish. If we have a full list to select from it may be wise to give Otto a full month in the sanfl to get some solid match fitness and self confidence in his body.

Jacobs and Maric
As stated earlier, I can see us going in with only one genuine ruckman and although I admire what Maric brings to the table my preferred option would be to go with the additional height of Jacobs.

SMACK
IMO the new rule changes has positioned SMACK right in selection calculation as his ability to play KP and cover the ground makes him a mouth watering prospect and by all reports his pre-season has been strong.

Radar
I acknowledge Radar's 2010 season however I do believe that he may be under some selection pressure. With Hendo, Porpy, Jaensch, Knights and Callinan all roaming around HF there is an opportunity especially with another full pre-season under his belt to push Sloane into the midfield. With this in mind Sloane was an outstanding TAC U/18 tagger and subsequently won the TAC Coaches players award and I can see this role as his natural progression and long term role in our side. As a result this could put some selection pressure on Radar.

D-Mac
D-Mac's start to 2010 was exceptional until he was cut down by injury and for a long time he, Stiffy and Macca have had to cover the run and carry workload, however with the recruitment of Tambling and the emergence of Danger, Martin, Jaensch and Hendo and the return of Ottens we now have a group that can share the run and carry load... If fit I'm expecting a HUGE season from the D-Mac

Knights and Porplyzia
Back fit - in 2011 we will see exactly how much we missed these guys in 2010

Tex and Tippett
If these two can kick 120 goals between them which I believe they will do then we are in for a very good season as we will also get plenty of scoreboard contribution from Porpy, Knights and Hendo and out of the likes of Danger, Jaensch and Callinan throughout the season.

Round 1 selection will be facinating especially if we have a full list to chose from.......

Of keen interest will be how clubs manage the sub rule and how this impacts team structure and balance. With this in mind I do believe that most clubs will go in with only 1 genuine ruckman with a back up who can also play as a genuine KP.

In terms of our rucks, I have always admired Maric however I have always viewed big Ivan as a great support ruck (under the old rules) and with the recruitment of Jacobs I feel that we need to go in with a 200cm+ ruckman who can compete with the bigger guys in the comp........

With the emergence of Hendo, Jaensch and Martin, the recruitment of Tambling, Jacobs and Callinan and the return of Knights, D-Mac, Otto, VB and Porpy to full fitness competition for spots will be hot and early season form could hold plenty of weight to round 1 selection.

An addedd bonus would be if SMACK, Gunstan, Talia and Shaw could follow Hendo's 2010 lead and really add some selection pressure in 2011.

On a few players in particular

Heno
IMO he is a monty for round 1 selection, he is the complete prototype of a modern footballer and apprently his 2010 game endurance tracking was off the charts, imagine what he will do with another pre-season under his belt.

Dogga and Stevens
I was critical of both players in the first half of 2010, however both players finished the 2010 season strongly and were again voted by their peers in the leadership group. I can't see them missing round 1 selection, however with that said being in the leadership group should not be a gold pass for the enitre season selection, they need to perform.

Otten
Round 1 selection will largely depend on NAB cup form and how quickly he adjusts to competitive AFL footy again. Full training is one thing however match fitness, confidence and recovery is a different kettle of fish. If we have a full list to select from it may be wise to give Otto a full month in the sanfl to get some solid match fitness and self confidence in his body.

Jacobs and Maric
As stated earlier, I can see us going in with only one genuine ruckman and although I admire what Maric brings to the table my preferred option would be to go with the additional height of Jacobs.

SMACK
IMO the new rule changes has positioned SMACK right in selection calculation as his ability to play KP and cover the ground makes him a mouth watering prospect and by all reports his pre-season has been strong.

Radar
I acknowledge Radar's 2010 season however I do believe that he may be under some selection pressure. With Hendo, Porpy, Jaensch, Knights and Callinan all roaming around HF there is an opportunity especially with another full pre-season under his belt to push Sloane into the midfield. With this in mind Sloane was an outstanding TAC U/18 tagger and subsequently won the TAC Coaches players award and I can see this role as his natural progression and long term role in our side. As a result this could put some selection pressure on Radar.

D-Mac
D-Mac's start to 2010 was exceptional until he was cut down by injury and for a long time he, Stiffy and Macca have had to cover the run and carry workload, however with the recruitment of Tambling and the emergence of Danger, Martin, Jaensch and Hendo and the return of Ottens we now have a group that can share the run and carry load... If fit I'm expecting a HUGE season from the D-Mac

Knights and Porplyzia
Back fit - in 2011 we will see exactly how much we missed these guys in 2010

Tex and Tippett
If these two can kick 120 goals between them which I believe they will do then we are in for a very good season as we will also get plenty of scoreboard contribution from Porpy, Knights and Hendo and out of the likes of Danger, Jaensch and Callinan throughout the season.

Thanks Ranger agree with everything you have said.
Maric and Radar are the two most under the pump to keep a spot this year. As I wrote in the post above yours. Otto would do with a month of SANFL so it makes fitting Hendo in not a problem. Would like to slot Martin in there as well as he is going to be a GUN.
Have you changed your team at this early stage?

Thanks Ranger agree with everything you have said.
Maric and Radar are the two most under the pump to keep a spot this year. As I wrote in the post above yours. Otto would do with a month of SANFL so it makes fitting Hendo in not a problem. Would like to slot Martin in there as well as he is going to be a GUN.
Have you changed your team at this early stage?

shultzycrow

I have changed my team outside of the forum probably more than a dozen times, there is genuine pressure for spots and as a result a difficult team to select and this is why I do respect people's team selections as you could positively debate most sides that members select......

IMO you can throw a blanket over player 15 to 26 and this is why the team is so difficult to select

Re Martin, his round 22 game against the Saints made me stand up and take notice, I didn't have him in my initial 22 however its going to be difficult not to select him........

it is also unlikely that you go into round 1 with a full list to chose from and against the hawks in round 1 a team that lacks leg speed through the middle I would certainly be looking strongly at Martin and Jaensch

FF: Jaensch, Tippett, Callinan
CHF: Porplyzia, Walker, Douglas
C: Mackay, Thompson, Van Berlo
CHB: Doughty, Davis, Martin
FB: Johncock, Rutten, Otten
1R: Jacobs, Dangerfield, Vince
INT: Sloane, Reilly, Sellar (Tambling)

EMG: Knights, Stevens, Symes,

This is not going to happen but would love to see us start the season this way.

With the interchange rule I reckon we need someone who can not only play a role up forward or down back but is also a servicable ruckman. Stevens wont miss out round 1 but I think this rule will be very dangerous for his career going forward.

Would love to have Knights in but love the idea of having both Jaensch & Callinan in forward line a little bit more. I'm sure one of these 3 will miss round 1. Trial games will be great to watch.

In a perfect match (no injuries) I would love to see Otten start down back and then move into the midfield later in the match (maybe last quarter). Sellar could be the third tall defender if needed.

With a taller (and maybe fresher) player coming into the midfield in the last quarter Otten could do what Embley has done to us a few times. Also Tambling could come on for any other tired/injured/having a bad day player to give some super run in the last half.

Amazed at the amount of people that have Jacobs as the number 1 ruck straight away. He has 1 good game against Sydney in the finals last year. I think the spot is Maric's for now and Jacobs would have to perform really well in the trial games to take the spot away from him.

Unless he's not fit, I'd be appalled if we left Knights out of our side. He was arguably our most important player in 2009.
Agree with this! A fit Knights is SO important to our 2011 prospects its not funny.

Amazed at the amount of people that have Jacobs as the number 1 ruck straight away. He has 1 good game against Sydney in the finals last year. I think the spot is Maric's for now and Jacobs would have to perform really well in the trial games to take the spot away from him.
I had Jacobs as first ruck.

Nothing against Maric who I reckon has been ok but I think Jacobs is an absolute ripper. So pleased that we picked him up. I know he's only really shown glimpses at Carlton but I seriously think he is Recruit of the Year potential and could go down as one of the shrewdest trades in our history.

No disrespect to Maric but he is an average ruck, he does pull off the occasional ripper match but he's too short to do it consistently. Prior to the stupid sub rule he would have been a perfect no 2. The Crows wouldn't have gone for Jacobs if they didn't believe he could hold down no 1 spot and a few good games in he preseason will see him get it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back