Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with this! A fit Knights is SO important to our 2011 prospects its not funny.

I had Jacobs as first ruck.

Nothing against Maric who I reckon has been ok but I think Jacobs is an absolute ripper. So pleased that we picked him up. I know he's only really shown glimpses at Carlton but I seriously think he is Recruit of the Year potential and could go down as one of the shrewdest trades in our history.

Same here Carl. :thumbsu:

Maric is an honest battler who gives his best but will never dominate consistently at the elite level.

Jacobs is far younger in terms of experience but has already shown an ability to dominate a game. His upside is massive, he's taller and he will give us first use of the ball.

Jacobs for mine every time.

Same here Carl. :thumbsu:

Maric is an honest battler who gives his best but will never dominate consistently at the elite level.

Jacobs is far younger in terms of experience but has already shown an ability to dominate a game. His upside is massive, he's taller and he will give us first use of the ball.

Jacobs for mine every time.

Maric for me.

Has been a solid ruckman for us for a while and whilst not elite always provides a contest.

Jacobs is still very young, particularly for a big ruckman. Not sure how he can be an automatic selection and our #1 ruckman, when he has only played 17 games and is still finding his feet at AFL.....

I know many on here dont think we would have brought in Jacobs if he wasn't going to be our automatic #1 ruckman. I think he was brought in to replace Griffin, with the view to being our #1 ruckman down the track.

He will hopefully become a very good player for the AFC, but if we are a putting our faith in a 17game ruckman to carry the load for the season, we will be in bigger trouble than i thought.

Unless he has a shocking NAB MCM cup Maric will be no 1. I can see Jacobs being no 1 by maybe the middle of the year. Ivan needs to be consistently good or its bye bye.

A fit Knighta is a walk up start. Go back a watch Tyson Edwards 300th to see why. We missed him big time this year.

Unless he's not fit, I'd be appalled if we left Knights out of our side. He was arguably our most important player in 2009.
Agreed, Knights will be so crucial for our chances next year. Lets hope for an injury free season so we can see those 70m bombs again:thumbsu:.

agree with Macca and Carl

Jacobs is my pick

yes Jacob's has only played 17 games however some folks have selected Maric on the basis that he has been solid

the modern game is all about giving your midfield an advantage and Jacobs at 200cm with a greater reach / wing span than Maric is more likely to give our midfield first look

I love big Ivan and what he brings to the table however I sense that the new rule changes could see the death of the Maric type of player who are very good supporting ruckman

I personally think it will come down to the nab cup/trial games to decide who will be walkup number one ruckmen next year. In result I think that Jacobs will have an advantage because of his height and potential but just because of this, it Doesn't necessarily mean he has priority infront of Maric because when you think about it has done alot over the past couple of years. Honestly, I would much rather see Jacobs be our number one ruckmen from round 1, but I think this sort of thinking is pushing it. When you think about it logically, Craigy is very slow with his rookies, as in he gives them time to develop before they get a real shot. I know Jacobs isn't a 'rookie' but he is still a beginner and a learner at the club, so time may be given too develop him. This may lean towards such players as Mckernan having a shot in round 1. This could be a load of bull, but it's my opinion on the situation. Prove me wrong Craigy, I would love to see Jacobs round 1!!

Maric for me until such times as Jacobs has PROVEN he is the better player....too much credence is being put on Jacob's game against Sydney, he would want to have dominated as anyone with half a clue could see Mumford was SEVERELY reastricted by a corked thigh, for christ sake the Mummy had what looked like a "pillow" strapped to his thigh he was carrying that much padding!!!

One swallow does not make a summer......

I too hope Jacobs lives up to the "hype" being put on him by some AFC supporters, but undervalue Ivan's worth to the AFC at your peril!!!!

Maric for me until such times as Jacobs has PROVEN he is the better player....too much credence is being put on Jacob's game against Sydney, he would want to have dominated as anyone with half a clue could see Mumford was SEVERELY reastricted by a corked thigh, for christ sake the Mummy had what looked like a "pillow" strapped to his thigh he was carrying that much padding!!!

One swallow does not make a summer......

I too hope Jacobs lives up to the "hype" being put on him by some AFC supporters, but undervalue Ivan's worth to the AFC at your peril!!!!

Totally agree. Jacobs has the potential to be our long term number 1 ruck. That said Maric needs to add more strings to his bow such as a deep forward target when Tippett is off the ground resting and our swingman ruck is rucking.

I could be wrong however the fact that so many of us are even debating the #1 ruck role does suggest to me that Maric has not done enough in recent years to cement the #1 role....

Re Big Ivan, I love the fact that he bleeds red, blue and yellow for the team however as a #1 ruck he is undersized and does not have the leap to get over the bigger ruckmen in the comp, subsequently his body does take a real battering and he seems to struggle the longer we get into the season.

Re Sauce Jacobs, yes he is inexperienced however he is 200cm with a big reach / wing span and can compete with the bigger ruckmen in the comp. We should not under estimate the value of size and the importance to the team in finally having someone capable of consistently giving our midfield first look of the footy......

so in terms of the #1 ruck role, both Jacobs and Maric need to work on developing other roles to their games however for round 1 I would personally go with Sauce's size over Maric's eperience.....

For me, the interesting battle will be for the #2 ruck role and it will be facinating to see how the sub rule will shape the #2 ruck role in particular the importance of this player being able to play consistently and effectively as a KPP.

This is where I believe SMACK will come right into the selection mix, SMACK can play 30% in the ruck, has the leap to get over the bigger ruckmen however most importantly has the game to play either forward or back. Ignore his 2010 form, he finished the year off strongly and by all reports he has carried this attitude into his pre-season. I just sense the club is itching to get him into our best 22.

To conclude, when selecting our rucks I don't believe experience will be crucial, there is no secret that in recent years we have been smashed in the rucks and there is a need to do something different in this area. This is why I would go for a new ruck duo dynamic with Sauce's size and SMACK's flexibility.......

Unfortunately for Maric, the AFL will be a hard place for a 195cm ruckman that does not have the game to play consistently as an effective KPP. I'm predicting tough times ahead........

When does the sub have to be named? Is it on the Thursday/Friday night as part of the 22 or is it just before the game?

Will be interesting to see how it changes the game. Some players will become more valuable, others will struggle. I wouldn't want to be a second ruckman on a list who can't play another position.

I guess it will take teams awhile to work out how best to use the rule. Lots of options. There will be some interesting uses of the sub to look forward to.

When does the sub have to be named? Is it on the Thursday/Friday night as part of the 22 or is it just before the game?

Will be interesting to see how it changes the game. Some players will become more valuable, others will struggle. I wouldn't want to be a second ruckman on a list who can't play another position.

I guess it will take teams awhile to work out how best to use the rule. Lots of options. There will be some interesting uses of the sub to look forward to.

Hopefully the AFL will see how dumb this rule is and it will only be in place for one year. Anderson needs to get the boot all his tinkering is wreaking the game we all love. He will cost some players their careers and maybe they should sue his ass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F Walker Maric Callinan

HF Knights Tippett Porplysia

C Mckay Douglas Henderson

HB Van Berlo Davis Dangerfield

B Johncock Rutten Otten

Ruck
Jacobs
Thompson
Vince

Inter
Sloane
Jaensch
martin
Reilly

Sub any of these 4

crows dude... where is Doughty and stevens? They will be in the team guarrenteed. How about tambling too?

Must Say forgot Tambling. He slots to HB somehow. Stevens and Dogga dont make my side. They will Craigs though.

If it was me VB would be struggling to stay in meaning Bling can slot there. But hes captain now for some unknown reason as to me he is not an automatic selection. Thommo had to be captain.

Must Say forgot Tambling. He slots to HB somehow. Stevens and Dogga dont make my side. They will Craigs though.

If it was me VB would be struggling to stay in meaning Bling can slot there. But hes captain now for some unknown reason as to me he is not an automatic selection. Thommo had to be captain.

I think you should start a thread entitled "Stevens and Dogga don't make my side."

Then watch the reaction.

stevens and doughty will be in craigys team. They will be fased out (don't like this term) as new talents come in. The crows are starting to see real talent come through. Hopefully the future is bright

B - Johncock Rutten Stevens
HB - Van Berlo Davis Otten
C - Mckay Vince Tambling
HF - Knights Henderson Sloane
F - Walker Tippett Porplyzia
R - Jacobs Thompson Dangerfield
I - Doughty Douglas Reilly Moran/Sellar
E - Martin Symes Moran/Sellar

Would like to have squeezed a few more in to be honest. Symes, Jaensch, Callinan, Martin, McKernan, Maric etc could all get games. Love the fact that there are plenty of players vying for positions in the team, hopefully it will make the boys perform this year

B - Johncock Rutten Stevens
HB - Van Berlo Davis Otten
C - Mckay Vince Tambling
HF - Knights Henderson Sloane
F - Walker Tippett Porplyzia
R - Jacobs Thompson Dangerfield
I - Doughty Douglas Reilly Moran/Sellar
E - Martin Symes Moran/Sellar

Would like to have squeezed a few more in to be honest. Symes, Jaensch, Callinan, Martin, McKernan, Maric etc could all get games. Love the fact that there are plenty of players vying for positions in the team, hopefully it will make the boys perform this year

Wow after looking at your placed side my excitement about our forward line has been replaced by an awe of our back six! That is a seriously talented and well skilled group of players, and then you move up to the guys across centre...nice!

I reckon they screwed the sub-rule up

I would have preferred four on interchange bench
and any sub can be used at any time from anyone on the list.

With the subbed out player(s) not allowed to play the following week.

its simple, removes the injury rotation worry and penalises teams who
sub uninjured players...

Go Crows

Not sure about the team yet, want to see what Craigy throws up in the preseason. Am expecting Stevens and Sellar to be used in the sub position more than anyone else on our list. Moran could be some value there too.

I can't see Steven's in the Sub position, he's a starter for sure. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tahlia or Smack early as sub.

Not sure about the team yet, want to see what Craigy throws up in the preseason. Am expecting Stevens and Sellar to be used in the sub position more than anyone else on our list. Moran could be some value there too.

Obviously they're going to have to rotate players through the sub position week by week. The same player being used continuously would lose form if played as the sub every week, and of the 2 you've nominated, the one I think who would be very likely to get their fair share as a sub is Stevens.

Stevens has the attributes to make a very handy sub IMO. Capable of playing forward or back, KPP or flank. Also handy in the starting 21. No star, but a very handy player in a lot of positions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back