thank god the port adelaide jumper issue is put to rest

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys enough debate, ok?

Port Power should be able to count their SANFL flags as equal to AFL flags but Victorian clubs should not be allowed to count their VFL flags as equal to AFL flags.

148106_446784343881_188342508881_5399755_7432050_n.jpg

To Wikipedia!...

Im glad this got posted...cos the 1 in the middle is the only one that counts...Geelong have 8 that count. Collingwood have 15.

Dont believe me...check AFL History.

1 premiership!!!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha h ah ah ah ah hahahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahahhahahahhahahhahahahahhahahhahahahahhahahha

oooohhh....yeah....The Port Adelaide Football Club exists to win Premierships.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

But rest assured...according to all you Power idiots over the....in 2011, no-one will have ever won a single premiership in a competition thats existed for over 110 years...Just to make it Fair....boo hoo...sniff sniff.

Maybe you can all use yourr 11,000 Encouragement Award Premierships top mop up them tears...

I hear Violins.

Port wore magenta before they wore black and white. Collingwood were wearing black and white before port were.

Port joined the AFL after Collingwood did, first in best dressed. Port chose to opt for different colours when they eventually joined the AFL. Port chose to break away from their SANFL heritage and be a separate identity to the current SANFL magpies.

No matter which way you want to argue it, Collingwood have first dibs on the black and white jumper.

NEXT!!!

There is no argument about this

In the AFL Port Adelaide cannot be black & white, so our colours are actually black, white, teal & silver (the silver never really seen)

In the AFL Port Adelaide cannot be the Magpies, so we are the Power

It would be nice if we could play in the prison bars in heritage round, but that is just a personal wish.

Port Adelaide formed in 1870, entered the AFL in 1997.

The Port Adelaide Magpies was formed in 1996 and entered the SANFL in 1997.

This division has been a problem, a matter of angst. It has split the Port Adelaide family.

This weeks decisions has banished that division, we are now one club, with a team in the AFL wearing the Power jumper and with a team in the SANFL wearing the Magpies jumper.

Port has no argument with Collingwood, just as Collingwood would have no argument with Port wearing the prison bars in the SANFL.

So you'd have no issue with a new club coming in called the Cats and having hoops that are a bit closer together than yours?

Because that's what many in here are suggesting, that Collingwood should have no issue with Port coming innto the AFL as the MAgpies and keeping a jumper with black and white stripes.

Some of you are so beyond salvaging it just isn't funny.

i think it's more the match-day strip they're concerned about, not the Magpie. The club is called the Port Adelaide Football Club. Doesnt matter what the nickname is, it will always be PAFC.

The nickname is just that. At least is was in the early days of the comp. The approach in Australia was more like Europe where nicknames were unofficial. Gradually, we skewed more towards the Yanks where nicknames became property to be owned as well as vehicle for identity.

back to the match-day strip - the only club that had a problem with it was Collingwood, even though there were sufficient differences in the match-day strip to differentiate to the two teams - COL white with black stripes, PA black white 'prison bars'. If it wasnt for being pig-headed, COL would also agree that there were sufficient differences in the two strips, afterall they believe there is sufficient contrast between their traditional and their newer black with white stripes to the point that the former is used as their contrasting alternate strip.

You can't seriously believe that the VFL was superior to the SANFL and WAFL back in the 50's and 60's (and of course any time before then) when all three leagues were barely semi-professional?!

And why not? How can Victoria produce nearly 50% of the top tier talent in this country today and not possibly have had a superior league back then? I often see posters jumping to SoO results or those dinky little post-season hit and giggles, but I can show you a group of U18 South Aussie's take the national champs and yet don't provide draftees deeper down.

Not saying all the best players played for the VFL, but overall the VFL was a higher standard comp. Suggesting otherwise is re-writing history.

back to the match-day strip - the only club that had a problem with it was Collingwood, even though there were sufficient differences in the match-day strip to differentiate to the two teams - COL white with black stripes, PA black white 'prison bars'. If it wasnt for being pig-headed, COL would also agree that there were sufficient differences in the two strips, afterall they believe there is sufficient contrast between their traditional and their newer black with white stripes to the point that the former is used as their contrasting alternate strip.

Just out of curiosity had GWS called themselves the Jets and then revealed there jumper colours as orange and black and finally finished off with a design that was two thin sashes from left shoulder to right hip rather than the one thick sash that Essendon have, how would you feel about that? Odds are you wouldn't be happy about it.

PAFC may have had the prison bars as there pre existing jumper but they are only entitled to wear that in the SANFL, which they'll do as of next year, they relinquished the right to wear it in the AFL because it was part of their terms of entry.

And why not? How can Victoria produce nearly 50% of the top tier talent in this country today and not possibly have had a superior league back then? I often see posters jumping to SoO results or those dinky little post-season hit and giggles, but I can show you a group of U18 South Aussie's take the national champs and yet don't provide draftees deeper down.

Not saying all the best players played for the VFL, but overall the VFL was a higher standard comp. Suggesting otherwise is re-writing history.

You need to compare apples with apples...

The "50%" is more to do with population size IMO, Victoria has three times the SA population, so you are likely to have three time as many talented kids...

Back in the old days SA's population was a lot closer to Victoria's and I think the talent and quality of players in the VFL and SANFL would have been close.

There is no argument about this

In the AFL Port Adelaide cannot be black & white, so our colours are actually black, white, teal & silver (the silver never really seen)

In the AFL Port Adelaide cannot be the Magpies, so we are the Power

It would be nice if we could play in the prison bars in heritage round, but that is just a personal wish.

Port Adelaide formed in 1870, entered the AFL in 1997.

The Port Adelaide Magpies was formed in 1996 and entered the SANFL in 1997.

This division has been a problem, a matter of angst. It has split the Port Adelaide family.

This weeks decisions has banished that division, we are now one club, with a team in the AFL wearing the Power jumper and with a team in the SANFL wearing the Magpies jumper.

Port has no argument with Collingwood, just as Collingwood would have no argument with Port wearing the prison bars in the SANFL.
And I think we all rejoice in Port wearing the black and white in the SANFL, thats who I identify as the real Port and have enjoyed their success in that league.

But plenty of Port supporters want to wear the black and white for heritage rounds in this league and your heritage in this league is most definitely not black and white. Port chose to forge a new identity when they entered this league and whatever they chose to wear, that is your relevant heritage.

And to those who disagree, I ask again:

Why did Port want to play in the AFL if they believe that the flags won in the SANFL were better or equal to the AFL/VFL flags?

Why not just stay in the SANFL and be content with your lot there?

They cannot ignore their history just because they changed competitions. It would be like the Milwaukee Brewers ignoring their history before they were moved into the National League.

It's redundant anyway as long as the AFL does not have heritage rounds and heritage jumpers. It's actually only a problem if the AFL does something stupid like schedule Port Adelaide and Collingwood to play in Heritage Round. Collingwood didn't even participate in the last Heritage Round, because it would have meant wearing their clash (and historical) jumper in a home game. This prevent their opponents from celebrating their heritage, because it created a clash.

Port Adelaide's history includes the prison bar jumper. Include all the demarcations you like, nothing is going to change the connection Port Adelaide people feel to that jumper. To demand that they do is something the AFL simply cannot legislate on.

And I think we all rejoice in Port wearing the black and white in the SANFL, thats who I identify as the real Port and have enjoyed their success in that league.

But plenty of Port supporters want to wear the black and white for heritage rounds in this league and your heritage in this league is most definitely not black and white. Port chose to forge a new identity when they entered this league and whatever they chose to wear, that is your relevant heritage.

And to those who disagree, I ask again:

Why did Port want to play in the AFL if they believe that the flags won in the SANFL were better or equal to the AFL/VFL flags?

Why not just stay in the SANFL and be content with your lot there?

Because as a club Port deserved to be in a nationalised league. The fact the mistake back in the 80's that a selfish, myopic decision was made by politicing, money and power to expand the existing VFL can not be re written. Hence we still have VFL legacy teams in the AFL, but hopefully this can and should be redressed in the next decade. The AFL in it's current guise is about 3 times a stronger league than the VFL ever was. It's unfortunate that the VFL teams get their state league flags counted, but thems the breaks. It's wrong, but to the winners go the spoils of victory.

We have what we have. Port entered the AFL on the back of it's sucess in the SANFL - an undeniable fact. Port are a traditional and very successful club that joined the quasi national, but now totally professional (except in it's equity of fixturing) league. Port wear a black white and teal guernsey in the AFL. If you are going to have a heritage round Port should be allowed to wear it's Prison bar guernsey as it was it's primary guernsey for most of the 20th century. Other wise we wear our normal guernsey.

Such an idiotic thread really. Why the uniting of the PAFC and the PAMFC has anything to do with Collingwood and the pretty much dead guernsey debate is beyond me.

Just out of curiosity had GWS called themselves the Jets and then revealed there jumper colours as orange and black and finally finished off with a design that was two thin sashes from left shoulder to right hip rather than the one thick sash that Essendon have, how would you feel about that? Odds are you wouldn't be happy about it.

i couldnt care less TBH.

PAFC may have had the prison bars as there pre existing jumper but they are only entitled to wear that in the SANFL, which they'll do as of next year, they relinquished the right to wear it in the AFL because it was part of their terms of entry.

that's understood. these conditions were lobbied for by COL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i couldnt care less TBH.

that's understood. these conditions were lobbied for by COL.
Well maybe you couldn't care about another club attempting to usurp your identity but I'll bet you London to a brick your club would fight tooth and nail with or without you just as Collingwood fought to protect the uniqueness of its identity. Whether you personally care or not is irrelevant because die hard Essendon supporters that I know would be horrified.

He would care...he just donest becasue it didnt happen.

I saw 2x mockups of GWS jumper on HS yesterday...White & Powder Blue Hoops....and Powder Blue & Nave Blue Hoops....

My Blood was boiling.
But then again, i DO understand the importance of jumper and its identity.

What i dont understand is how people want a new team to use the jumper of a team thats older than the new one.

Understandable if it in a Minnow league like the SANFL cos no-one will see it anyways and it doesnt impact on the major league teams.....but there is no way in Hell (if the original club wont allow it of course) that the new club should be able to use the same jumper, or even a $2 tryhard version.

I also think that if Sydney want to stop Freo using the White wiht Red V's, they should be able to, but only IF they disagree with it.

Can anyoen explain to me the ownership of the jumpers...i hear Collingwood always saying they have copyright on it and stuff....is this true and does anyone else have it.

I do not know why this issue is so hard to understand.
For the record
The VFL changed its name to the AFL. It did not lose its rich history because it changed its name.
The AFL acknowledges its history (FACT).
The AFL recognise the following

Collingwood – wears Black and white stripes, their mascot is the MAGPIES. The Pies have won – 13VFL and 2 AFL flags a total of 15,which are recognise by the AFL

Port Adelaide wears it Black silver and teal, its mascot is the POWER. Port has won 1 AFL flag, which recognize by the AFL.

From and Club prospective.
The Collingwood football Club colors are Black and white stripe; it’s won 15 VLF/AFL flags.

The Port Adelaide Football Club colors are Black silver and teal(AFL) and black and White stripes(SANFL). It has two Mascots – the Magpies (SANFL) and the POWER(AFL). It has won 1 AFL and 36 SANFL.

He would care...he just donest becasue it didnt happen.
:thumbsu: My point exactly. It's easy to say you don't care when there's no immediate likelihood of it happening. Another story altogether when there is.

Can anyoen explain to me the ownership of the jumpers...i hear Collingwood always saying they have copyright on it and stuff....is this true and does anyone else have it.
I have to say I'm not altogether certain but I strongly suspect that the AFL owns copyright in the designs since they hold the license and the right of refusal on the design. I suspect, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that Eddie has always maintained that the Pies hold the moral copyright.

:thumbsu: My point exactly. It's easy to say you don't care when there's no immediate likelihood of it happening. Another story altogether when there is.

I have to say I'm not altogether certain but I strongly suspect that the AFL owns copyright in the designs since they hold the license and the right of refusal on the design. I suspect, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that Eddie has always maintained that the Pies hold the moral copyright.

So, if the AFL were so inclined...the could say
Collingwood, you are now Black with a Red Sash.
Essendon, you are now Pink with a Lavender sash (suits really)
Port Adelaide...you are now free to wear the Prison Bar Jumper.

Moral Copyright...thats doesnt make any sense whatsoever.:confused::confused:

Like I said, I don't really know but I'm guessing that is the case. The point to remember though is that while the AFL hold a pretty big stick,l they do have to be mindful of not p1ssing off the members and supporters who give them their revenue. To instruct Collingwood to change their jumper to such an extent would be tantamount to suicide.

I know. Not my words! I just seem to recall him using them but I think everyone knows what he means.

I think we get an idea of, as you stated above, Tantamount to suicide.

Wonder what would happen if they changed your jumper for that....doesnt make sense I know cos magpies arnt black and red...but...just imagine....would people still go to the footy, would be confusing as hell.

Well maybe you couldn't care about another club attempting to usurp your identity but I'll bet you London to a brick your club would fight tooth and nail with or without you just as Collingwood fought to protect the uniqueness of its identity. Whether you personally care or not is irrelevant because die hard Essendon supporters that I know would be horrified.

Different circumstances really.

PAFC is a club in existence with a proud tradition and success. It was unlucky that the league it originally participated in wasnt the one to morph into the national elite league.

GWS is an entirely new organisation funded by the league itself. Furthermore, the league will own the naming rights to the club, as well as the marketing rights to the match-day strip, as it does with all AFL clubs. It was obvious that they wouldnt do such a thing as described Scodog.

And once again, the majority of PAFC supporters arent too concerned with the nickname of Magpie, but rather the use of it's match-day strip. but given it has moved on with a new match-day strip for the AFL, it probably wont be too concerned about it. Collingwood supporters still are tho.

now, how did a media release about a merger of PAFC & PAMFC - and thus the PAFC getting back into the SANFL - turn into a thread subject heading of "thank god the port adelaide jumper issue is put to rest" followed by an opening post and associated link which has no mention of it, and ignores all facts of the PAFC/PAMFC case by implying the PAFC have only a 17 year history? im guessing reading and comprehension wasnt mgh3535 wasnt/isnt his forte in primary school.

I think we get an idea of, as you stated above, Tantamount to suicide.

Wonder what would happen if they changed your jumper for that....doesnt make sense I know cos magpies arnt black and red...but...just imagine....would people still go to the footy, would be confusing as hell.
Probably exactly what would happen if they forced you to make your stripes vertical! It's a nonsense and the AFL wouldn't contemplate it.

so many respondents to this thread have dribbled on about hypothetical shit which hasnt and wont happen. but this post one takes the cake.

Remove this Banner Ad

thank god the port adelaide jumper issue is put to rest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back