Thanks for the memories but it's time

Remove this Banner Ad

The one that I really agree with here - and it's a shame, because he is the one who is probably playing the best of all of them - is Scarlett, because as long as he, Lonergan and Taylor are on the list, Brown and Gillies will not develop as key backmen. There is not the space for a four talls, no matter how mobile, in the backline, and I think that those two players in particular will stagnate if we don't get them out of the VFL.

Gillies in particular is learning nothing by being the big fish in the little pond. Brown can't yet play AFL every week because he's not quite big enough.

I agree on some of those, especially Hunt, who has always had some very consistent patches of very bad form. However, if we want to remain competitive and retain a winning culture akin to Sydney over the past few years whilst transitioning and rebuilding, we can't get rid of that many senior players at once. We will need to stagger retirements and delistings and I really hope the coaches can get it right.

Winning culture akin to Sydney? You might want to compare our recent record to theirs, as ours is miles better. Finishing 7th every year doesn't mean a lot if you're never going to win a premiership (and they won't this year either).

Stokes is a hard one really. He's at the age where I'd like to see him stick around for awhile, but if we could get something for him maybe trade him away. I think that with Varcoe coming back as well as the likes of Motlop and Christensen, maybe he is the type of player we already have enough of and Christensen and Motlop may hopefully be able to improve the aspects of their games where Stokes has stagnated.

He's at the age when he should be at his absolute peak. The reality is he's simply not that good. Not enough goals and zero defensive pressure. Just not acceptable for a small forward.

In saying that, due to their service, I can tolerate a few poor games from the champions for all that they've done before retirement. The scenes of Chapman snapping for goal to put us in front in the 2009 GF far outweigh a few poor H&A performances now.

No it doesn't. It's in the past. It's history. Thinking like that is why we went 44 years between flags. The club has to do what is best for the development of the team right now. Not gift games to veterans for what they did 5 years ago.

Lets not do a Melbourne and cut all our older blokes because they may not be around by the next flag.

All those guys have the right to decide when their time is up, given their careers. Joel Corey has slowed down a lot this year, but he still has a role to play. The rest will all play on next year...

Last night was bad but factor in that, Varcoe, Bartel, Menzel, Pods, Vardy all didn't play and will probably all play next time we met them....things can change pretty quickly...

Wrong. No player has the right to decide when their time is up. Otherwise they'll never retire, or be like Barry Stoneham and be an absolute embarrassment.

People always spout the "club is bigger than the individual" mantra. Right now is a test for that.

As has been said, these immortals we have should be respected, and CS is not the type to put them down mercilessly, but it will be interesting to see if their pride and passion will keep them competitive for the next 2 months.

I know where you're coming from VD, but he was last year. Otherwise why didn't Mooney or Milburn play finals? That was pretty merciless. As it should be.

You cannot be sentimental. It destroys clubs and sets them back years.

I agree with some of the sentiment and clearly the club is working games into the young players and trying to get a feel for the playing group as a whole.
Remember that this is Chris Scott's second year as coach and that mostly he hasn't played that much of a role in recruiting the players.
I think that is another reason that we have seen 4 rookies get a game as well as a lot of other players tried in different positions throughout the season in the VFL and AFL.

Hunt I believe should go at the end of the year if any clubs are interested then great otherwise tell him time is up plays selfish, doesn't man up and makes too many mistakes. Also I think he should be playing in the VFL now until he gains some form.
Wojo unfortunately I think his time is up at the end of the year as well picking up injuries like someone looking for compo at work and seems to have lost a little pace.
Corey has been a great player but I agree it was a mistake he was given a 2 year deal and means that it is very unlikely that Chappy will be getting one.
Chappy I believe is having a great year (after a slow start) and has another year or 2.
Scarlett & Enright I think could keep playing for a couple more years and love playing together.

Don't agree about Stokes either hasn't had a good year overall but has played well in patches and he is a good player to have around. He will get is form back and he plays a mentor role (with Varcoe) to Motlop and Bundy also him and Byrnes seem like funny guys to have around the rooms.

Would love to see more of Gillies in the team as well as Brown although I don't think Brown is up to playing forward yet.

At the end of the year I think most of Wojo, J.Hunt, Hogan, Corey, Cowan, Sheringham, Stringerand Simpkin should go.

Agree with all of the OP.
Funnily enough, the bigfooty whipping boy (J Hunt) is probably one out of all our experienced players that doesn't seem to have dropped off. You can argue he was never good enough in the first place if you want.

Same goes with Mackie. Another whipping boy, but he is one of the few in our team that always seems to have time and composure. Every time he gets it now I'm thinking 'thank %^&*' someone who will try and use it.

* sorry, sidetrack :)

At the end of the year I think most of Wojo, J.Hunt, Hogan, Corey, Cowan, Sheringham, Stringerand Simpkin should go.

Cowan has been injured all year and we are yet to see what he is capable of - Why would we get rid of him?

Stringer was very good until his run in with the law.

Sheringham was good last night and this has been his first year on the rookie list.

Cowan has been injured all year and we are yet to see what he is capable of - Why would we get rid of him?

Stringer was very good until his run in with the law.

Sheringham was good last night and this has been his first year on the rookie list.

Because there are rookies that need to be promoted (Walker definitely, Bathie likely, Stringer depending on circumstances) and we'd probably want a combination of four draft picks and/or trade targets. That's potentially seven spots to be created on our senior list. Let's say Corey, Wojcinski, Scarlett and Hunt retire (no certainty, by the way). Byrnes and Hogan are the most likely candidates to be delisted, but after that, it gets very tricky. It's a symptom of the problems this year: not many obvious 'list-cloggers' (who are usually the guys in the 23-26 age bracket). It might seem a bit ruthless, but if Cowan doesn't get into the senior side before the end of the year, it's safe to assume that he's in trouble (could possibly be re-rookied, I suppose).

Agree with all of the OP.
Funnily enough, the bigfooty whipping boy (J Hunt) is probably one out of all our experienced players that doesn't seem to have dropped off. You can argue he was never good enough in the first place if you want.

Same goes with Mackie. Another whipping boy, but he is one of the few in our team that always seems to have time and composure. Every time he gets it now I'm thinking 'thank %^&*' someone who will try and use it.

* sorry, sidetrack :)
I reckon Hunt has had a pretty good year, been impressive the past six weeks in particular.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree it would be a bit harsh on the rookies and Cowan but sometimes they are the calls that need to be made. Stringer was ok but I just can't see any of those mids on the rookie list playing consistently in the senior team.
If we are talking about challenging again in 2015 that means we will have an elite midfield no question that is very possible just can't see those guys becoming elite.
TBH I would rather see the rookie list used mainly for experienced players either from another club or from the main list and possibly from state league. I just think the rookie list should be used a bit differently and you want players that can step up the senior action if there is an injury or something.
A couple of project players on there as well is great like Bathie and Walker have been.

I reckon Hunt has had a pretty good year, been impressive the past six weeks in particular.

Yep agree with that. It's not like every experienced player has been garbage, they haven't. He's been solid.

I'd have to watch the game again, but I wouldn't be blaming the defenders for last night. They didn't have much support and most had ok games.

we have been playing kids all season long and no wonder we have dropped a few more games than some have thought (yep, I'm guilty of thinking we'd win more matches this season).

But wait until the Scott picks the one or two he feels will become something special and then we will see no 'general soreness' exclusions and we can expect the form of Bartel, Kelly, Christensen, Podsiadly, Johnson and alike all begin to improve because of the cohesion of a settled & balanced squad.

Suspect Scott rates Smedts and Guthrie very highly, could have them penciled in as starters come finals.

Surprised by the doom predicted by 75% of the Geelong posters :(....just don't get pissed off when they start a winning streak and I laugh at a few of you who predicted us to go nowhere this season :D

Suspect Scott rates Smedts and Guthrie very highly, could have them penciled in as starters come finals.

Surprised by the doom predicted by 75% of the Geelong posters :(....just don't get pissed off when they start a winning streak and I laugh at a few of you who predicted us to go nowhere this season :D

Smedts found out last night he's still got a long way to go. Never got near it when the pressure was on.

We won't get pissed off when they start a winning streak. Because it won't happen. What will your reaction be when they miss the finals?

I think we have an advantage of having Scott and Lappin at our club right now. They were there for the glory days of Brisbane but also for when they fell away sharply, so they have had first hand experience of the end of dynasties.

Im sure there will be a bit of a cull but we must remember that short term pain and frustrations are impossible to avoid and no matter who remains on the list or who is asked to retire we are going to slide a little and possibly a lot.

My hope is that by 2014/15 we are beginning to emerge again as a threat, and if thats to happen its the lessons learnt by our debutants now that will take us there.

We are a well run club who now has money, the luxury of our own VFL team and a distinct home ground advantage. The armstrong creek training base and a strong culture will hopefully all add to a quick turnaround.

Its up to us posters/fans to stick with them and buy memberships and keep interested in the Cats, even though were not used to not being premiership hopefulls. Lets not be like Carlton and Richmond and eat our own when things dont go exactly as planned..

Don't agree about Stokes either hasn't had a good year overall but has played well in patches and he is a good player to have around. He will get is form back and he plays a mentor role (with Varcoe) to Motlop and Bundy also him and Byrnes seem like funny guys to have around the rooms.

Would love to see more of Gillies in the team as well as Brown although I don't think Brown is up to playing forward yet.

Agree with most of your post aside from this, Stokes has become a list clogger. Ok player but ultimately keeping a youngster out of the side. If he was playing or capable of playing slightly better than he would have a case to argue. And I think it's madness to suggest Stringer should go. I'm not sold on Gillies but then Lonergan took a long time too.

I think we have an advantage of having Scott and Lappin at our club right now. They were there for the glory days of Brisbane but also for when they fell away sharply, so they have had first hand experience of the end of dynasties.

Definitely Brisbane dropped like a lead balloon. I certain the 'Brisbane boys' will not tolerate a repeat of that.

Smedts found out last night he's still got a long way to go. Never got near it when the pressure was on.

We won't get pissed off when they start a winning streak. Because it won't happen. What will your reaction be when they miss the finals?

Agree with that and could well have been subbed off but with the game already gone Scott made his best decision of the night and left him out there for the experience and subbed the more experienced player good coaching.

couldnt agree more mate. Now its time for us supporters to stand up and not turn on our own and enjoy the rebuilding stage. We have just seen something other supporters would kill for. I love the Geelong fc and will bat for every decision the club makes. Very very prowd supporter.......

only Molly would ignore this post :thumbsu:

Top post pussie!

only Molly would ignore this post :thumbsu:

Top post pussie!
i'll see if i can control myself when you use the word finals about us again. lets agree to disagree about our rest of the year. you think finals, i think 1-2 wins max. we both follow the same team. i have no problem with coach, selections, players, eccept stokes and corey oughtta be out.

Agree with that and could well have been subbed off but with the game already gone Scott made his best decision of the night and left him out there for the experience and subbed the more experienced player good coaching.

Yep agreed. We're now seeing what we're going to see a bit of for the next 2-3 seasons - young guys in headlights having absolute shockers. Doesn't mean that they won't make it necessarily, or not up to it. But they'll have poor games along the way to becoming quality footballers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the memories but it's time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back