The 2017 Rights Deal Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Origin series has now eclipsed the AFL and NRL grand finals as the most valuable winter sporting event, putting the three-game series on course to deliver at least $20m in advertising revenues.

It's so cool and "phresh" to be a malcontent.

You're bitterness is laughable. The AFL and NRL are really not all that different in their drive for the dollar. You can continue pulling yourself over how pure and altruistic the NRL is as an organisation, but at the end of the day the same principles apply not that you want to see that because it suits your persona to barrack for the underdog.

It's so cool and "phresh" to be a malcontent.

You're bitterness is laughable. The AFL and NRL are really not all that different in their drive for the dollar. You can continue pulling yourself over how pure and altruistic the NRL is as an organisation, but at the end of the day the same principles apply not that you want to see that because it suits your persona to barrack for the underdog.

When discussing the TV rights of both codes, there is one undeniable point of difference & that is Origin - my views are as a sports fan, not a hater of either code. Sports role on TV is a far bigger issue than just the two codes being discussed here so I'm confused by your characterisation of bitterness - are you an AFL diehard, not into other sports?

IIRC it's 38% in the NRL, slightly more in the NYC.

If I was him I'd be more concerned why there are so few foreign born players in the AFL, considering one in four Aussies are born overseas.

BUT not from only a tiny % of the population Just goes to show the great appeal of Australian Football it caters to all shapes and sizes and ethnic groups!.

When discussing the TV rights of both codes, there is one undeniable point of difference & that is Origin - my views are as a sports fan, not a hater of either code. Sports role on TV is a far bigger issue than just the two codes being discussed here so I'm confused by your characterisation of bitterness - are you an AFL diehard, not into other sports?

Not at all, I probably prefer cricket to footy, cycling I follow very closely and whilst I don't watch a lot, I am fine with watching a game of union or league. I just get bored with the fact that I don't think I've ever seen you post anything positive about Australian football. It's fair enough to be of the opinion that there are aspects of the AFL administration which are morally questionable, but I just don't see how you can continuously differentiate in your portrayal of RL and soccer of being up on the moral high ground.

Not at all, I probably prefer cricket to footy, cycling I follow very closely and whilst I don't watch a lot, I am fine with watching a game of union or league. I just get bored with the fact that I don't think I've ever seen you post anything positive about Australian football. It's fair enough to be of the opinion that there are aspects of the AFL administration which are morally questionable, but I just don't see how you can continuously differentiate in your portrayal of RL and soccer of being up on the moral high ground.

Moral high ground, that'd be your glasses ... bitterness ? In this style of thread there is an abundance of cheerleaders & I prefer to stay across the issue from a business point of view not through the eyes of any one code. That you take that as anti AFL is fine with me, onward Christian soldiers !!

Channel Nine has signalled it is keen to claim a slice of the AFL broadcast rights for the first time in a decade.

The executive charged with leading Nine's bid, Jeff Browne, met AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan last week, indicating the network's interest in securing one match a round.

This would likely be a Saturday game, ensuring Nine can preserve its coverage of live NRL matches on a Friday night and Sunday afternoon.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...kle-afl-broadcast-rights-20150609-ghjycn.html

This could of been discussed above, but not so much in 2017 but what are the chances of the AFL ever having their own stand alone free to air station where all matches are available live?
this could also have shows like the AFL already run now and as well.

Surely they could pul in big $$ from advertising from major companies, every game could be shown live and available to everyone! win - win - win

This could of been discussed above, but not so much in 2017 but what are the chances of the AFL ever having their own stand alone free to air station where all matches are available live?

Surely they could pul in big $$ from advertising from major companies, every game could be shown live and available to everyone! win - win - win

They would have to buy the rights to a frequency from one of the fta networks, and the cost imo would be above what they could afford

Remember it cost the pies and dons $800k just to have a weekly show on Foxtel

Fun thought. It would never happen, but in theory they do a deal to take over one of a networks digital channels, split the costs and profits with them. Ratings alone it would smash all digital offerings national. With their ownership of match copyright, and AFL media, you'd have a nifty platform. But again, wont happen.

It was a silly rumour (NRL+AFL teaming up to buy 10) doing the rounds last month. Nothing to it.

Channel Nine has signalled it is keen to claim a slice of the AFL broadcast rights for the first time in a decade.

The executive charged with leading Nine's bid, Jeff Browne, met AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan last week, indicating the network's interest in securing one match a round.

This would likely be a Saturday game, ensuring Nine can preserve its coverage of live NRL matches on a Friday night and Sunday afternoon.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...kle-afl-broadcast-rights-20150609-ghjycn.html

saturday night games on 9 would be great!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeff Browne is pretty good mates wi
Fun thought. It would never happen, but in theory they do a deal to take over one of a networks digital channels, split the costs and profits with them. Ratings alone it would smash all digital offerings national. With their ownership of match copyright, and AFL media, you'd have a nifty platform. But again, wont happen.

But something like this could happen after the next TV rights finishes Esp if the FTA channels keep losing viewers and their advertising revenue drops.

Wednesday nights on Fox Footy is lacking the point of difference that it once had. I used to love Insider, however, tactics proved to be to much for a number of footy fans.

I'd love a hard stats show that presents all the information that we never see, such as best kick on the opposite foot over 40 M, power Forward who has the highest percentage of marks per contest etc...

saturday night games on 9 would be great!

How about Sunday?

Channel Nine will make a bold bid to broadcast one AFL game on Sunday afternoons, precipitating a retaliatory move by rival Seven for the highly prized State of Origin series.

The two networks are desperate to increase their ratings in their non-traditional sports states, with Nine's State of Origins guaranteed to deliver 12 million viewers nationally, principally in NSW and Queensland where Seven's AFL coverage, other than Swans matches, competes with the test pattern for viewer numbers.

Should Nine acquire an AFL game for the popular Sunday afternoon slot and Seven buy Origin, Australia's two dominant free-to-air networks would have stakes in territory where they struggle for advertising dollars.

Nine's bid for an AFL Sunday afternoon game would not be at the expense of its coverage of an NRL match in the same time slot.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nine-to-target-sunday-afl-while-seven-chases-state-of-origin-tv-broadcast-rights-20150612-ghmh6f.html

How about Sunday?

Channel Nine will make a bold bid to broadcast one AFL game on Sunday afternoons, precipitating a retaliatory move by rival Seven for the highly prized State of Origin series.

The two networks are desperate to increase their ratings in their non-traditional sports states, with Nine's State of Origins guaranteed to deliver 12 million viewers nationally, principally in NSW and Queensland where Seven's AFL coverage, other than Swans matches, competes with the test pattern for viewer numbers.

Should Nine acquire an AFL game for the popular Sunday afternoon slot and Seven buy Origin, Australia's two dominant free-to-air networks would have stakes in territory where they struggle for advertising dollars.

Nine's bid for an AFL Sunday afternoon game would not be at the expense of its coverage of an NRL match in the same time slot.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nine-to-target-sunday-afl-while-seven-chases-state-of-origin-tv-broadcast-rights-20150612-ghmh6f.html

thats bizarre, don't 9 already do sunday NRL matches?

Id expect them to do the old GEM switcheroo. (NRL on Nine in NSW/QLD, GEM in Vic/SA/WA and the reverse for the AFL.) Its the best of both worlds.
which is what the story says.
Multi-channelling allows networks to broadcast games simultaneously where, for example, southern viewers would see an AFL game on Nine's main channel on a Sunday afternoon, while northern viewers would watch it on a digital channel. The reverse would apply for the NRL match, which would be shown live in NSW and Queensland, while Victoria and the south and west would access it via minor channels.

"Both codes could co-exist on Nine by flip-flopping [between stations]," an executive close to the negotiations said. "Wherever you live in Australia, you could watch Sunday afternoon football on Nine.

"That's a valuable franchise and a bragging right."
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...igin-tv-broadcast-rights-20150612-ghmh6f.html

will it really? i'm sure foxtel will want to keep its games on fox. The only game changer would be them getting access to things like Grand finals, Beldisloe and origin.

I doubt they will make a strong bid for H&A matches.
they also now hold a 25% stake in MCN, which means any joint bid for sports rights with foxsports & MCN can sell ad packages that go across both FTA & STV, that makes Ten a genuine threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back